Follow

Kevin Kho

Character » Kevin Kho appears in 69 issues.

Assistant Bio-Tech Manager at Cadmus Industries infected with a virus that can transform him into O.M.A.C.

DC Comic’s Very Own Green Goliath

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz
    No Caption Provided

For those of you who follow my posts you would know that I have been on a bit of a bent recently that in the new 52 that DC is trying to directly challenge a lot of Marvel properties directly for content.  One of the most obvious which I thought I had encountered was similarities between Mister Terrific and Iron Man, that is until today.  I had been putting off reading O.M.A.C. (mostly because of a lack of interest) but I finally decided to pick up this book because I do like science-driven stories (even when the science is somewhat lacking.)  Over the first two issues of this book though I can’t help but notice the similarities between O.M.A.C. and the Hulk.  Both are gifted scientists in their normal lives who through a modification to their bodies undergo transformations into behemoths with power usually beyond their control (though in the case of O.M.A.C. the lack of control is because he is controlled by Brother Eye.)    There are other similarities as well, from alliteration in the character names (Bruce Banner/Kevin Kho) to having a scientist girlfriend that works with them to villains with similar powers (Absorbing Man and Amazing Man).  It makes sense in a fashion for DC if it is interested in taking on Marvel to not only produce its own titles to a high quality but also give its readers something to challenge the Marvel version with (as they are also doing for instance with Jason Todd versus Deadpool.)   In this case though, it seems doomed to failure.  I actually do like certain aspects of O.M.A.C. but it is too much of a hodgepodge between Kirby influences and Infinite crisis influences.  A slightly different direction might help it, but then it would not be fulfilling the aim it was intended for. 

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By BKole

I can see what you're going for here, actually. OMAC does seem to have some real parallels with Hulk, but I think its probably a bit closer to the original intent of the OMAC series (Ever read the Kirby stuff? It's LITERALLY like he made it up on the fly. Which, by that, I mean it's freaking awesome.) I can see the Absorbing Man/Amazing man thing as well - I rather hoped he'd stay the more interesting Muslim hero from the pages of JSA but alas...he got Didiodied.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Adnan

Ever since "OMACTIVATE", I've had a soft spot for O.M.A.C. It's mindless but silly fun, and the art is really...colourful. I like it. I agree that it doesn't seem like it'll last very long though.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Adnan: I actually liked that line as well
    ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ogg927

RazzaTazz makes a really good point. I never herd of OMAC until I saw the cameo from Batman the Brave and the Bold on Cartoon Network. I'll have to check out the new 52's version of OMAC.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @ogg927: I think Adnan above makes the best point, that it was silly but fun, and there are not that many comics out there like that.  There should probably be a TPB coming out soon collecting the 8 issues.  
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

@RazzaTazz said:

@ogg927: I think Adnan above makes the best point, that it was silly but fun, and there are not that many comics out there like that. There should probably be a TPB coming out soon collecting the 8 issues.

Alreadyis
    BB

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Billy Batson: Ah thanks
    dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@razzatazz It's weird that I really didn't get into OMAC until I heard it was cancelled. When I browse through the New52 issues I can't help but feel that the DC let go of a great project that could have been fixed with better writing.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: I thought that it was pretty fun.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dngn4774

@razzatazz: It was, but I still think a few tweaks here and there would have helped the book sell enough copies to survive the chopping block.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: I am not sure, all Dc wants to do is to run financially successful books and not creatively successful books. Most people said that this was doomed from the start and they seemed to be right. The same kind of cynical outlook though stopped most people from ever giving it a shot.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz: I guess. It's just surprising to me that OMAC doesn't have a larger fanbase. Especially when it throws in villains like Maxwell Lord and Brother Eye. It even had a great supporting cast and lots come cameos (mostly from other lowselling books, but even superman was in one).

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By colonyofcells

Omac was created by Jack Kirby as a super soldier like Captain America. Jack Kirby's Omac got powers from Brother Eye and served the Global Peace Agency and Omac was a literal soldier. The New 52 omac is bulkier to make him look more like the Hulk altho the Hulk look is not necessary for somebody based on nanotechnology as seen in Engineer of Stormwatch or Xombi. Dc's Solomon Grundy is from the golden age and marvel's Hulk is sort of a clone of both Solomon Grundy and the 1938 Superman who could only leap and not fly.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dngn4774

Anyone else love the artwork. To me it gave off a retro 90's vibe.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give OMAC some more LOVE!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.