Pre Mortal Kombat
Kenshi was a born fighter who sought worthy opponents all over the world. His victories only fueled his pride and Kenshi believed himself to be invincible. After hitting a rut in finding worthy opponents, Kenshi was approached by a man named Song. Song was impressed with Kenshi's fighting abilities and offered to take him to a well where their was a mystical sword that would be worthy of Kenshi's skill. After arriving at the well Kenshi forced it open to find disembodied souls released by Kenshi opening the well. The spirits blinded Kenshi and then Song revealed himself to be Shang Tsung who absorbed all the souls as nourishment.
He then mocked how easy it was to have Kenshi free his own ancestors. Shang Tsung then left Kenshi to die. Unbeknownst to Shang Tsung the sword Sento actually existed and called out to Kenshi. The sword sought the blood of the sorcerer and Kenshi began his training to overcome his blindness. After a decade of training Kenshi's skill were noticed by the US Special Forces soldier Major Jackson Briggs. Jax offered use of the Outworld Investigation Agency's portal technology in return for his service as a scout in Outworld and to find their other agent Cyrax. Kenshi had gotten his chance to hunt down the vile sorcerer.
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
Kenshi's assignment was to locate the Special Forces agent Cyrax who was stranded in Outworld after a battle withReptile. Kenshi tracked the former Lin Kuei cyborg and came across the soul construct Ermac. In a moment of pity Kenshi freed the warrior from Shao Kahns control. In response Ermac taught Kenshi the telekinestic slam.
Kenshi began to spy of the Deadly Alliances activities and tried to report his findings to the US Special Forces though Jax's headquarters was nuked by the Red Dragon Hsu Hao. Unknown to Kenshi the Deadly Alliance knew of his precesnce and sent the Red Dragon member Mavado to eliminate him.
Mavado was able to surprise Kenshi and mortally wound the swordman. Left dying in Outworld Kenshi was found by Sub-Zero who was also stuck in Outworld after his apprentices betrayal. After healing Kenshi's injuries he and the Lin Kuei grandmaster traveled together to find a way back to Earthrealm. This partnership would form a long lasting friendship between the two. Sub-Zero revealed he was being hunted by the Sedian guardsmen Hotaru for interfering with Onaga's plans.
Kenshi and Sub-Zero were able to repel him though. Once Shang Tsung was killed during Raiden's suicide blast against Onaga, Sento sensed the release of Kenshi's ancestors souls. His quest ended due to circumstance Kenshi relinquished his position in the Special Forces and chosen not to directly join the Lin Kuei.
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Kenshi used his powers and the guidance of his sword to strike the corrupt of the world. He was able to overthrow a number of criminal organizations using the cover of darkness as a shield to hide his moments. After pursing the Red Dragon clan Kenshi found a coded message that was sent to Mavado about the Edenian half-god Taven and his mission.
While trying to locate their secret base, Kenshi was approached by Johnny Cage about the gathering of the forces of darkness and he needed warriors to combat the threat. Kenshi declines the offer thinking its a pointless conflict between good and evil. While hunting Mavado and the rest of the Red Dragons, Kenshi receives a mental vision of Taven and Daegon's quest and of the coming Armageddon. Sento cries for blood and to join the Forces of Light against Shinnok and the rest of the dark warriors present. Kenshi resolves to lead the forces of light into battle.
During the battle at the Pyramid of Argus Kenshi was able to kill the Shokan female Sheeva and fought Quan Chi in a sword fight. Quan Chi mortally wounded Kenshi, but was telekineically thrown by Ermac. Ermac then revealed himself as Shang Tsung who jumped on Kenshi killing him on the steps of the Pyramid. All combatants would die in the battle except Shao Kahn who received the god like power of Blaze and used it to start tearing the realms apart. Raiden used a spell to send a message back in time to prevent this outcome.
Mortal Kombat 2011
Kenshi can be seen fighting either Sareena, Reiko, Daegon, or Frost on the other bridge in the Pitt II Stage possibly indicating his participation during the first Mortal Kombat tournament. Kenshi is briefly mentioned by Shang Tsung as the next fighter to participate in the tournament in Outworld facing off against the Outworld general Reiko.
Mortal Kombat (2011):
"For years the swordsman Kenshi traveled the world in search of worthy opponents. When a mysterious elderly man named Song offered to show him the location of Sento, an ancient sword worthy of his abilities, Kenshi succumbed to pride. He followed Song to a tomb wherein lay the Well of Souls. When Kenshi retrieved the sword, spirits of ancient warriors spewed forth, blinding him. Song then revealed himself to be Shang Tsung. He consumed the souls, leaving Kenshi in the dark labyrinth to die. But Sento called to Kenshi. It led him out of the tomb and revealed his lost heritage as a descendant of the warriors who had been buried there. Kenshi vowed to slay Shang Tsung and free the souls of his ancestors."
- Height: 6'1"
- Weight: 185lbs
- Nationality: Earthrealm
- Martial Art: Tai Chi, Judo, San Shou
- Weapons: Katana (Sento)
Powers and Abilities
Kenshi before his story started was a proud and firece warrior. He had master a variety of martial arts and was know as the greatest warrior around. After his blinding by Shang Tsung, Kenshi had to learn to use his other senses to compensate. Lead by the sacred sword Sento, Kenshi was able to fight as if he never had the handicap. Kenshi was also able to unlock the potential of his mind allowing for telekinesis whih Kenshi shows off during combant. More advanced techniques in telekensis were taught by Ermac Kenshi has be shown using his telekinesis to swing and use his sword for more reach. Kenshi can even teleport using the power of his mind by bending space. This allows Kenshi to make short jumps and usually either escape or get in closer with a foe.
- Blade Absorb - The upgrade to Blade Reflect.
- Blade Reflect - Kenshi is able to reflect projectile attacks by slashing them with Sento.
- Mind Warp - Kenshi's teleport technique which he uses to close in on an opponent.
- Spirit Charge - Kenshi telekinetically shoulders his opponent.
- Spirit Vengeance - Kenshi telekinetically shoulders his opponent and then slashes downwards with Sento.
- Tele-Beatdown - Same as Tele-Flurry just adding more hits to increase the combo.
- Tele-Flurry - Kenshi performs a telekinetic combo from afar.
- Telekinetic Blade - An upgrade to telekinetic slash that adds a downward slash before the upward one.
- Telekinetic Push - Kenshi simply holds his hand out and pushes his opponent back.
- Telekinetic Slam - Borrowed from Ermac, Kenshi picks up and slams an opponent onto the ground.
- Telekinetic Slash - An upward slash from Sento using telekinesis. Can be done close, medium, or long range.
- Telekinetic Toss - Borrowed from Ermac, Kenshi grabs and throws his opponent behind him.
- X-Ray Move: Soul Blade - Kenshi throws his sword into the opponent's stomach and Mind Warps in front of them. He then takes out his sword, turns it over, and hits the opponent in the face with the hilt, damaging the skull. He then turns it back over and slashes the foe upward, tearing into the opponents ribcage and further damaging the skull
- Scatterbrained - Kenshi telekinetically slams his opponent into the camera a few times leaving their eyeball on it and then finishes them with a quick diagonal slice across the chest.
- Split Ends - Kenshi telekinetically picks up the opponent. He gets out Sento and throws it to the far side of the stage, with it landing on its tip. Then, Kenshi telekinetically shoves his opponent head first into Sento, slicing them vertically in half to the waist.
- Telekinetic Contortion - Kenshi projects psychic energy into his opponent paralyzing them and forceing their eyes out of their sockets. Then the opponents limbs start to bend in unatural and painful ways with the arms, legs, and finally head.
- Telekinetic Stretch - Kenshi telekinetically lifts his opponent into the air and stretches their body until it rips in half.
Mortal Kombat Legacy
Kenshi is shown as a wandering ronin samurai in Feudal Japan circa 1199. He comes upon a wounded old man who is being attacked/robbed by three sword wielding assailants. The old man begs for help and Kenshi and Kenshi states the thieves have no honor. After paying their toll with an apple core Kenshi slays the three swordsman. That night Kenshi and the old man eat together and the old man tells the story about the sword of Sento that draws power from the sun, forged by Shao Kahn, and sealed in a cave guarded by a demon named Ermac.
Kenshi finds the tale amusing, but when the old man reveals he knows Kenshi's name then matters change. Kenshi travels to the site of the sword which has many skeletons and warnings posted for travelers. When Kenshi is inside the cave he is set upon by Ermac, who declares "Wea are many, You are one". The fight is not seen but Kenshi won, but at the cost of his eyes. Kenshi is later contacted by Raiden to fight on behalf of Earthrealm in the Mortal Kombat tournament. Kenshi gathers with the other chosen heroes, Kurtis Stryker, Johnny Cage, Sub-Zero, and Kung Lao, to meet with Raiden.
Raiden states that their supernatural abilities will be amplified on this island noting Kenshi superhuman senses. Kenshu fights in the firs round of the tournament against Ermac. Ermac states Shao Kahns power allows him to leave his cave and that he will take Sento back. the fight is fairly even and Kenshi takes an upper hand in hand to hand combat and even discovers his latent telekinetic abilities, but Ermac begins to choke Kenshi with scaled tendrils. Kenshi summons Sento and cuts the tendrils then throws the blade into Ermacs chest, then uses telekinesis to blast the sword through his chest. Kenshi claims the first victory.