Follow

Kelly Sue DeConnick

Person » Kelly Sue DeConnick is credited in 300 issues.

Kelly Sue DeConnick is an American writer and editor, most noted for her adaptations into English language of many manga from Tokyopop and Viz, as well as writing Marvel's Captain Marvel series. She is currently writing Bitch Planet at Image.

Josh Williamson Interviews Kelly Sue on PROMETHEUS: FIRE AND STONE - OMEGA

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Last week we've looked at a series of creators interviewing creators over the Dark Horse event, FIRE AND STONE involving the Prometheus, Aliens, and Predator world. We had Kelly Sue DeconnickinterviewPaul Tobin on PROMETHEUS: FIRE AND STONE; Paul TobininterviewChris Roberson on ALIENS: FIRES AND STONE; and Chris RobersoninterviewChris Sebela about ALIENS VS. PREDATOR: FIRE AND STONE, drawn by Ariel Olivetti. On Friday we had Chris Sebela interviewJoshua Williamson about PREDATOR: FIRE AND STONE.

In this final installment, we'll see Josh Williamson talk to Kelly Sue about PROMETHEUS: FIRE AND STONE - OMEGA. If that wasn't enough, we also have an exclusive preview for you.

No Caption Provided

JOSHUA WILLIAMSON: When I first walked into the writer’s room I was super nervous and intimidated.

But YOU were walking into the room as the room leader… Did you have any expectations of the experience in the writer’s room and did that change at all?

KELLY SUE: Heh, I apparently wasn’t much of a leader as I don’t think half of the team knew that was my title until after the project was finished! Instead of ineptitude on my part, can we pretend that was some kind of subterfuge? Like I am just THAT CLEVER? No…? I confess I’m amused that folks just figured I was bossy and rolled with it.

I don’t think I knew what to expect really, but I was excited. I love to talk story, I love the collaborative process — the fact that the books were going to be worked in a room was the REASON I TOOK THE JOB, you know? I was psyched for that.

And you know, I think it worked out well. Some nights were better than others, but I’d call it a positive experience overall. I think the group found a rhythm pretty quickly and we played off each other well.

JW: A lot of things got left on the cutting room floor as we developed this story.

For example, my only regret in Predator was that I never figured out how to have a scene of Predator Ahab riding a motorcycle.

KS: Aw, damn. That’s good.

JW: Of course as I say this I know how I could have done it. C'est la vie.

KS: That’s always the way.

JW: Was there anything that didn’t make it that you wish had?

KS: Yeah, I had a whole fight scene with giant parasites inside the mountain that I wanted to do for several reasons — I liked the visual, and I thought we needed it for pacing and stakes, but I just didn’t have the real estate for it in the end and that bummed me out. I feel like the book should have been about 10-15 pages longer. Feels like it wraps up too fast to me.

That said, as the culmination of the whole, it’s not fast, so I have that to wipe my tears with.

JW: In OMEGA, we have a rag tag group of survivors from different walks of life, with a variety of styles. A lot like the writers in the room! Who was your favorite character to write? Were there any that you wish had survived to Omega that you wanted to play with?

KS: I wanted to write an engineer! Alas.

Picking a favorite… that’s always hard. Angela, I guess? Only because I can’t choose between Elden and Galgo, so having them share second place seems fair.

JW: There is a beautiful two spread in Omega, where you touch on some pretty heavy themes including the search for the meaning of life. The ideas of the “Creator.” Was there anything you set out to say there from the start or did that form as you wrote?

KS: That came to me in the room and as soon as I had it, I knew I had the book and everything else would be details. It was that they would have to make the decision to turn and leave without the answers they went in for — that was the heart of everything. I just threw out most of my notes and research for this project last week and I chose to save a couple of things: the two pages where I wrote the plot out long hand and a scrap of paper that I think was the first line of dialogue I wrote for the book. It says, “We’re alive, dumbass. That’s all we get. That’s all anybody gets.” I don’t think the “dumbass” part made it through but IT’S IMPLIED.

JW: A lot of your writing, from CAPTAIN MARVEL to PRETTY DEADLY, BITCH PLANET, and now PROMETHEUS: FIRE AND STONE OMEGA is cutting past all the BS, and finding the heart in every scene. The moments that mattered most. One thing that you were really good at in the room… When we’d get a bit full of ourselves or too lost in the themes you managed to remind us of the STORY. And you would find the no-nonsense version of events for us to work from. Do you agree or am I just making stuff up?

KS: Well that’s very complimentary from my perspective, so I’d LOVE for that to be true. Let’s go with that.

You’re my favorite, Josh. Don’t tell the others.

PROMETHEUS: FIRE AND STONE - OMEGA is on sale February 11. It's written by Kelly Sue with art by Augustin Alessio. Here's an exclusive preview for it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BigL

What's Lara Croft doing in this book? :P

Looking forward to this, so far the event has been solid. Great story, but 4 issues was not enough for each series, I barely remember any character names and the supporting cast are just there as fodder. I think each series needed more room to grow as it seems they bit off more than they can chew. Don't get me wrong, each series has been good but they could have been a lot better if they had more than 4 issues

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I love these writer on writer interviews

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So is this predator helping them or hunting them? From what I remember the Yatuja have a strict code of honour when hunting. No old people, no children, no pregnant women etc. I may have to pick this series up.

m0ntyb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The art looks solid...I like

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By NightFang3
    HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm looking forward to it, I' been following the three prior series

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.