Space Sector: 786
Sector Partner: Turytt
Ke'Haan of Varva was second in command to Green Lantern Kilowog in the training of new inductees to the Green Lantern Corps. Regarded as even tougher than Kilowog, those that made it through Ke'Haan's training were some of the toughest Green Lanterns ever seen. His prize pupil was Laira, the daughter of Kentor Omoto, the Green Lantern of Jayd in Space Sector 112. Rumors linked the two romantically, but Ke'Haan was married with children, and both he and Laira believed in honor.
Major Story Arcs
For more information see : Emerald Twilight
The Guardians of the Universe dispatched Ke'Haan and Laira against Hal Jordan when the Green Lantern of Earth had been corrupted by the fear entity, Parallax. They and Green Lanterns Tomar-Tu of Xudar, Jack T. Chance of Garnet, Kreon of Tebis, Hannu of Ovacron Six, Graf Toren of Karax, and Boodikka of Bellatrix were unable to stop Jordan and had their power rings taken from them. Jordan reached Oa and claimed the energy of the Central Power Battery for himself. The defeated Green Lanterns were left to drift in deep space as the Green Lantern Corps was destroyed.
Ke'Haan would later be succeeded by Turytt as Green Lantern of Space Sector 786. Turytt's first duty was to tell Ke'Haan's family of his apparent demise, and he swore to them he would take out the person responsible for Ke'Haan's death.
Revenge of the the Green Lanterns
For more information see : Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns
Unbeknownst to the Guardians of the Universe and the rest of the Green Lantern Corps, Ke'Haan and the others were not dead. By circumstances yet to be revealed, these " Lost Lanterns" were taken captive by the Manhunters and were brought to their homeworld of Biot in Space Sector 3601. More than thirty Green Lanterns had been taken over the years. When the Green Lantern Corps was restored, some of the Lost Lanterns were used to access the Central Power Battery on Oa for both energy and information, while others were to be placed inside the massive Manhunter Highmasters. One of the Lanterns, Tomar-Tu, was able to escape, but the Xudarian Green Lantern went to Earth, to kill Hal Jordan.
The reappearance of Tomar-Tu led Green Lanterns of Earth Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner to mount an unauthorized Search and Rescue mission. Moments after arriving on Biot, the Green Lanterns were under siege from the Manhunters. Guy Gardner was soon taken down, leaving Jordan alone. Fighting off the new Manhunter Grandmaster Hank Henshaw AKA the Cyborg-Superman, Jordan freed Ke'Haan and then the rest of the Lanterns he had defeated years ago. Still believing Jordan had betrayed them, the Lanterns attacked him. The fight knocked them out of the central chamber where they had been held, and into a cavernous chamber below. Escaping momentarily from the overwhelming numbers of Manhunters, they paused when Jordan did not fight back. Looking around the chamber, they had found dozens of other Green Lanterns believed to dead or missing in action, such as Lashorr, Arisia, and Relok Hag.
Kreon, the only Lantern willing to listen to Jordan was killed by a Highmaster Manhunter, which was holding Guy Gardner as its energy source. Other Highmasters held Green Lanterns as well. Once the Lanterns started working together, they were able to free Gardner, then work on saving Green Lantern Chaselon. Jordan and Arisia were trapped in a Highmaster, but were able to wrest control of it and used its planetary level weapons to destroy Biot.
Ke'Haan and the other Green Lanterns were able to free those still trapped before the planet exploded. Brought back to Oa after the destruction of Biot, it is assumed most, if not all, returned to active duty. Though they recognized they and the other Lanterns might still be trapped on Biot were it not for Hal Jordan, they would not forget their previous battle during his time as Parallax.
Sinestro Corps War
For more information see : Sinestro Corps War
Ke'Haan resumed the training of new Green Lanterns on Oa. When the Sinestro Corps attacked Oa, Ke'Haan led his fellow Lost Lanterns to Qward on a mission to rescue Ion.
The Lost Lanterns, joined by Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Guy Gardner, encountered heavy resistance led by Parallax, now possessing the body of Kyle Rayner.
Jack T. Chance was killed immediately by Parallax. Ke'Haan led his Lanterns deep within the tunnels of Qward, intent on finding Ion and escaping. While following Ion's energy signature Ke'Hann, Laira, Hannu, and Boodikka discovered the Sinestro Corps "Guardian"; the Anti-Monitor.
Ke'Haan ordered Hannu and Boodikka to free Ion while he and Laira attacked the Anti-Monitor. Before he could even finish his orders, Ke'Haan was incinerated to the bone by a powerful blast from the Anti-Monitor.
The Lost Lanterns regrouped and rescued Ion. Joining Jordan and his group, they escaped from Qward having lost Chance and Ke'Haan.
Many Sinestro Corps soldiers died at Laira's hand in revenge for Ke'Haan. Unfortunately Ke'Haan's death did not end his misfortune. Following the end of the Sinestro Corps War, Amon Sur sought to spread fear and his own infamy by slaughtering Ke'Haan's widow and children. The goal was to spread fear throughout the ranks of the Green Lantern Corps by exposing the vulnerability of the Lanterns' families.
Amon Sur gleefully surrendered to the Lost Lanterns who discovered this slaughter while bringing Ke'Haan's remains home. He was cut down by Laira, in an act that was deemed "murder" by the Guardians.
Laira was discharged from the Corps and the rage she felt in her heart for her dead love made her susceptible to the power of the red spectrum of light. While returning home Laira was confronted by a red power ring drawn to her rage. The ring slipped itself on her finger and Laira was welcomed into the Red Lantern Corps.
For more information see : Blackest Night
During the Blackest Night, Ke'Haan was raised by a black power ring along with many other Fallen Lanterns and became a Black Lantern. He fought Guy Gardner and the Green Lantern Corps on Oa.
Powers, Abilities, Weaknesses, and Characteristics
Kehaan is the wielder of a Green Lantern Power Ring which enables him to accomplish a variety of effects. The Green Lantern Ring allows Kehaan to manipulate its energies through the use of willpower.
The Green Lantern Ring gives Ke'ehan the following abilities:
- Animating: A Green Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Artificial Intelligence: Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Oa, which taps into an artificial intelligence. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a Lantern's success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer (though they have difficulty translating profanity), which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Green Lantern ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector. The AI can be used to play a holographic playback sequence complete with colors across the spectrum based on information in memory banks. The ring can dictate when to pause or stop the playback should an interruption arise where the Lanterns undivided attention is needed. The AI can also alert the wielder of incoming threats or of attempts to manipulate the wielders construct by an outside party.
- Burglar Alarm: A Green Lantern can coat anything with the ring's beam and thus, if anyone other than himself touches it, his ring will glow, alerting him to the possible theft.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Green Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds. Kilowog's ring is one such example of blasts making sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The ring can make the wearer or anything else invisible.
- Matter Manipulation: A Green Lantern can use their ring to manipulate nearby matter, such as water, for various purposes such as a construct that acts like an energy construct but can block something yellow and may serve a purpose that an energy construct couldn't perform.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/ Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Green Kryptonite, a form of radiation that is harmful to Superman. However, this ability is no longer valid and has been retconned.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cubewas used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero.
- Transforming: The ring can transform anyone or anything, be it into an animal, altering their state of appearance, or their size. Once Hal and Alan turned the two Flashes ( Barry and Jay) to light protons in order to free them from prisons.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
- Time travel: The ring allows the wielder the ability to travel through time, though the process requires great willpower.
- Healing: A wielder can command a ring to heal him/her/itself of any injures incurred. It can also heal others.
- Energy twin: The ring can create an energy copy of the wielder which is connected to the ring wielder, any information the twin gathers is transferred to the wielder upon touch while others cannot see this twin apart from fellow Green Lanterns.
- Pocket dimension: Within the ring is a pocket dimension which can altered to the wielders specification. It can be used to contain opponents.
- Sub-routines: The power rings have inner programmings or mechanisms which can executed without the users permission. One such sub-routine is the autoshield. This shield automatically protects a wielder from external harm and has been proven to be capable of protecting the wielder from planetary level attacks.