Follow

Kato

Character » Kato appears in 344 issues.

Kato is the partner of the Green Hornet, he is an expert in martial arts and an excellent mechanic as is in evidence with the Black Beauty, the car of the Green Hornet.

Kato's martial arts training

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Brit

I'm enjoying the Green Hornet Year One arc but there is one inconsistency I have encountered. Is Kato's family of Samurai descent?

Because it says in the 1st issue about his Father teaching him the code of Bushido but it turns out that he is actually a Ninja Master.

Now from what I've learned, Ninjas are the antithesis of the Samurais and so they don't recognize Bushido since its made for the Samurais. In fact they loathe it...

Ok that's my two cents! Thank you for your time!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I always looked at Kato as a cross between a Samurai and a ninja. Plus just because you don't practice something doesn't mean you shouldn't know about it. It the Samurai is the ninja's sworn enemy he should learn the Bushido code to use it against him.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Brit
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    "Plus just because you don't practice something doesn't mean you shouldn't know about it. "
    I totally agree with you. Even if I don't follow Bushido, I have a personal honor that I uphold.

But the things is, in the first issue of Year One, Kato's father stated that they come from a noble Samurai family and that's awesome. Then Kato asked his dad when will teach him Ninjutsu and that's where the inconsistency lies. A Samurai would rather disembowel himself than to stay in a room with the Ninjas much less study their ways. Samurais are a proud lot and they would never ever connect themselves to the Ninjas, they are complete opposites. There is historic proof for that.

I have this feeling that maybe Matt Wager has a plan to go explain further how Kato's father learned Ninjutsu. I hope I'm right!

Nova Prime thanks for your opinion!
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Kairan1979

This discussion reminds me of one of the episodes of Batman : The Animated Series. When Bruce Wayne compates himself and ninja Kyodai Ken, and old sensei tells him that he could use ninja's tactics, but he has samurai's heart. The same can be said about Kato.

gr8dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Actually, The samurai did associate with the ninja. The daimyo kept them as retainers, but often got duped because they would watch garrisons of samurai of both of the Daimyo that hired them. I think a couple of people need to read shogun. You have to associate in order to hire on a ninja.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.