Katma Tui was Green Lantern for the planet of Korugar during her tenure as a member of the Green Lantern Corps (this was in sector 1417). She replaced Sinestro as the Green Lantern for this sector. He had used his power ring to establish himself as totalitarian ruler of his planet. Katma Tui eventually helped lead the revolt against him which would result in his removal as planetary leader, of him being removed as a member of the corps and of being imprisoned in the anti-matter universe on the planet of Qward. She was nominated by Tomar-Re as the replacement Green Lantern for the sector, which she accepted. Despite this she was regarded as a villain by her native Korugarans as the Green Lanterns were falsely considered a symbol of tyranny because of the actions of Sinestro. She is therefore known as “Katma Tui the lost.”
For the majority of her publication history, Katma Tui was a secondary character, showing up when her support was necessary or on other matters which concerned the corps. In her first encounter with Hal Jordan (and first appearance), Earth's Green Lantern convinced Katma to abandon her fiance and devote her life to the Corps. Later, after Jordan himself quit the Corps to spend more time with Carol Ferris and John Stewart was chosen as his replacement, she was sent to Earth to train him. A romance between the two soon developed and the two would eventually marry.
Green Lantern Corps
In her first mission, which occurred during her probationary period as a Lantern, Tui and Korugaran scientist Imi Kahn destroyed a giant space amoeba creature that threatened Korugar. Tui and Kahn fell in love, and Tui decided to leave the Corps, though Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern of Earth, used a ruse in order to persuade her not to.
Tui went on to become an exemplary Green Lantern on a number of adventures, including a prison breakout on the Guardians’ prison planet, her struggle against the telepathic influence of the alien Ffa’rzz the Mocker, her kidnapping by a group of terrorists who mistook her for Hal Jordan’s love Carol Ferris, the war against Krona, Nekron, the Weaponers of Qward, and the Anti-Green Lantern Corps, her search for a Green Lantern for the area of space known as the Obsidian Deeps, her encounter with Rot Lop Fan, who would eventually fill that role, the defeat of the extra-dimensional entity known as Maaldor, who had cut off the Lanterns from the Main Battery on Oa that powered them, the battle against the Anti-Monitor, subsequent conflicts with Sinestro, etc.
When Hal Jordan resigns from the Corps for Carol Ferris, Tui is infuriated, given that Jordan had persuaded her to give up Imi Kann for the Corps. When John Stewart initially turns down the offer of replacing Jordan as Green Lantern of Earth, Tui, projecting her anger towards Jordan upon Stewart, dismisses him as a coward, which provokes Stewart into changing his mind. Tui would eventually train Stewart and work closely with him on a number of missions. The two soon fall in love, and with the blessings of the Guardians they marry. During the first Green Lantern Corps story arc at the Citadel on Earth, Tui works with a large contingent of Lanterns who find themselves based in California. This grouping includes Kilowog, Ch'p and Arisia.
During the Green Lantern: Mosaic series, John Stewart becomes involved with a new society, various alien citizens placed together on one planet by an ex-Guardian, who had gone insane from loneliness. His efforts elevate him to become the first mortal Guardian of the Universe, known as The Master Builder. As his reward for this new level of awareness, John is reunited with his late wife, Katma Tui. However, tragedy strikes once again and Hal Jordan, possessed by Parallax, destroys both the Guardians and the Central Power Battery, robbing John of his newfound powers and his resurrected wife.
The Blue Lantern Saint Walker uses his blue power ring to calm John Stewart's rage from Red Lantern. By reading his psyche, the ring is able to discern that creating an image of Katma Tui would best serve this purpose. After being surrounded in an illusion of flying with his late-wife for several moments, Stewart emerges with the belief that he would be able to see Katma again.
In the Blackest Night crossover, black power rings are sent throughout the universe reanimating the bodies of the deceased. Katma Tui's name is among the first to be called out by a black ring, and she is shown reanimated as a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Katma travels on the planet Xanshi to see John and tries to weaken John by claiming that he caused the planet's destruction. However, John, spurred on by Star Sapphire Fatality's words, says that he was not the cause of it all and successfully fights off the Black Lanterns. Black Lantern Katma is then destroyed by the combined efforts of John and Fatality. The two join their lights together to destroy the black ring, rendering Katma's corpse inert.
John Stewart forged the Mosaic into a new society and eventually ascended to become the first mortal Guardian of the Universe, known as The Master Builder. As his reward for this new level of awareness, John was reunited with his late wife, Katma Tui. However, tragedy struck once again and Hal Jordan, possessed by Parallax, destroyed both the Guardians and the Central Power Battery, robbing John of his new-found powers and his resurrected wife.
Katma Tui was among the many deceased Green Lanterns who were resurrected as Black Lanterns during the Blackest Night. After killing several Green Lanterns in Oa, she went to the recently resurrected Black Lantern planet, Xanshi. John Stewart was present at Xanshi's resurrection and went into the planet. There he found Katma Tui and the Green Lantern/Black Lantern hybrid, Driq. Driq encouraged John to destroy all the Black Lanterns, however, his attempts were futile and he had to escape to Earth. There, Black Lantern Katma Tui was definitively destroyed.
Powers and Abilities
- Hand-to-hand combatant
- Natural leader
Katma Tui wields a Green Lantern Power ring, which gives her several very formidable abilities and tactical resources:
- Emotional Spectrum Green Will Energy Conduit: The rings use pure energy supplied by a Power Battery, which in most cases takes the form of bright green light. This energy is the green light of willpower of the Emotional Electromagnetic Spectrum. A Green Lantern's ring, considered by some to be one of the most powerful weapons in the known universe, has the ability to affect and use fundamental forces of the known universe, including electromagnetic energies such as gravity, radiation, heat, light, and powerful blasts of concussive force. It is also theorized that the ring also has a basis in other dimensional energies commonly called magic by users of such energies. The ring can also create fields of force formed from an unknown energy that is bound by the users' will. The limitations of such use are the skill, knowledge and imagination of the user.
- Energy Projection: The ring can be used to fire blasts of energy or create weapons such as projectiles of them. The ring can project beams of force powered by the will of the user. Their appearance does not indicate the power of the weapon. The weapon's power is more an indication of the will of the user.
- Force Field: The ring can create various force fields of various sizes and shapes to protect the wearer and others in the vicinity. With the cosmic scope of a Green Lantern's duties, it is only natural that the power ring is designed for operation in space. The ring creates a force field around the wearer, protecting them from the hazards of the void including filtration of stellar radiation and microscopic particulate matter which would ordinarily be fatal should the space debris strike the ring wielder at high speeds. An atmosphere appropriate to the ring wielder's biology is created inside the force-field while body temperature is maintained and waste products are removed. Gravitational stresses which could cause injury are stabilized for the ring wielder. Theoretically, a ring wielder could use the ring as their sole source of life support. The force field is created instantaneously whenever needed as part of the ring's automatic defensive system.
- Energy Constructs: The primary function of the power ring is to provide a weapon capable of transforming the wearer's thoughts into physical constructs through the wearer's strength of willpower. A Green Lantern can create any particular items or construct that they can imagine as long as they have the willpower necessary to will it into existence. The constructs exist only as long as a Green Lantern is fueling them with their willpower. Items created by the rings are not indestructible and are only as powerful as the willpower of the Green Lantern creating them. The types of constructs usually reflects the ring wearer's personality.
- Phasing: The power ring allows the wearer to pass through solid objects such as walls, though this is also a function of the ring-bearer's will and not an automatic ability of the ring itself.
- Environmental Playback: Upon request, the power ring can recreate a holographic environment based on data in its memory banks. The ring-bearer can observe events in a ghostlike state, but the cannot alter the outcome of the playback. All objects in the playback will appear in the full spectrum of colors, regardless of the wielder's level of expertise creating simulacra. The power ring will automatically end the playback if outside interference warrants the ring-bearer's undivided attention.
- Invisibility and Light Refraction: A ring-bearer can render themselves invisible by willing the ring to bend light waves around their body. A similar action allows an experienced ring-bearer to create objects of colors other than green, even simulacrums of living people.
- Energy Absorption: The ring can absorb and store other energies. Doing so does not replenish the normal store of energy the ring has. For example: a ring that needs recharging but contained a store of electricity could only discharge that electricity.
- Superhuman Strength: While not super strength of the conventional sense, a Lantern, while using constructs created by the ring, becomes capable of lifting/moving tremendous weights far heavier than they would normally be able to with comparatively little effort.
- Flight: By the manipulation of anti-gravitons and directed molecular movement, the ring allows the user to fly at incredible speeds. In atmosphere, a Green Lantern has been known to fly as fast as Mach 10 in atmosphere by creating an aerodynamic envelope around their body. In space, a Green Lantern's flying ability has been shown to reach velocities far exceeding light speed. In atmospheres, air friction is not a hindrance since heat is either absorbed or reflected by the ring's field.
- Wormholes and Spacial Warps: The power ring grants its bearer access to wormholes in space, enabling a Green Lantern to rapidly cut the time and distance needed to respond to an emergency. Black holes can also be navigated by experienced ring wielders. A Green Lantern can travel through a black hole to be deposited outside a white hole in a far off sector of space.
- Time Travel: Time travel is possible with the power ring, though the further forward in time a ring-bearer travels, the more willpower it takes.
- Limited Cellular Regeneration: A Green Lantern can use their ring to heal physical injuries in their self or others.
- Electromagnetic Scanning: The ring has a wide range of detection abilities based on the imagination of the user. If the ring-bearer can conceive of it, they can probably detect it. Most normal electromagnetic phenomena are within the range of the ring, including radio, radar, television, infrared, ultraviolet, microwave, and high frequency band communications.
- Thought Relay: Otherwise known as a telepathic link, which can be used to coordinate tactics with other Green Lanterns or report of the status of an active mission to a sector partner or other Lantern. The links can also be established with non-Green Lanterns, though it requires more willpower.
- Galactic Encyclopedia: The earlier rings worn by the Corps functioned as references for their bearers. Having the vast knowledge of the Book of Oa to draw upon, each ring functions as a ready reference on most peoples, stellar events and conditions that may have been seen by other rings or other Green Lanterns.
- Universal Translator: The power ring can translate virtually any language in the universe, facilitating diplomatic encounters rather than violent confrontations. Complications arise when a frame of reference for translation is not available, as evidenced during Katma Tui's induction of Rot Lop Fan into the Green Lantern Corps. Katma Tui had the difficult assignment of explaining the concepts of "light" and "color" to the sightless Rot Lop Fan. She overcame this barrier by using sound rather than light as the basis of the ring's power. Some Green Lanterns, such as the planet form known as Mogo, have used the ring to create an intermediary "being" to expedite communication.
- Material Alteration: The Green Lantern's uniform is not made out of fabric. It is created by the power ring whenever the ring-bearer wills to wear it. Most Green Lanterns wear similar uniforms that are programmed into the ring by default. However, each Green Lantern is able to adjust their uniform to fit their own needs, personalities, or whims. The green parts of the wearer's uniform are usually very warm or hot to those who touch it, while the black parts are very cold. The uniform also produces a "siren" taking on the form of the Green Lantern Corps' symbol, circling the Green Lantern when active. The symbol, or badge, will not appear on the uniform until after a newly inducted Lantern has completed training on Oa, leading to the term "White-Circle" to describe a rookie Lantern.
- Ring Duplication: A power ring is capable of duplicating themselves. Each duplicate shares the qualities and capabilities of the original ring. The duplicate rings are subject to over-ride control by the original ring-bearer, and take a significant expenditure of energy to create.
- Emergency Beacon: A Green Lantern in distress can use their power ring as an emergency beacon. The alert can be directed to a Green Lantern's neighboring sector, or it can be a Corps-wide alert.
- Homing Beacon: A homing beacon in the power ring can lead one Green Lantern to another. Though a power ring can be ordered to disguise itself to elude power ring wielding trackers.
- Mind Alteration: Though the ethics of mind tampering may be debatable, sometimes it is deemed necessary. As the power ring relies on thought and will to operate, mind tampering is not impossible. The real difficulty lies in properly applying the power. There lies a risk of severe damage to the mind where alterations are being attempted should mistakes be made. A ring-bearer can use the power ring to erase portions of an individual's memories. Green Lanterns have used mind techniques as part of training. New recruits may be subjected to mind scans by other Green Lanterns or the Guardians of the Universe. They are taught to build mental defenses to protect themselves from mental attack. The power ring can also be used to beam information from the ring wielder to another being. Green Lanterns have used this technique to share information regarding their enemies during combat situations.
- Pocket Dimension: A ring-bearer can use their ring to create a small extra-dimensional holding space in which they can store their power battery for ease of retrieval. These pocket dimensions can be accessed from any location.
- Security Protocol: The rings can be programmed. They are coded to the wearer to make them unusable if stolen. The ring will refuse to take an action that would kill a being unless they are on Oa or have obtained permission. The Guardians recently removed the lethal force prohibition, first to allow lethal force against members of the Sinestro Corps, then against all enemies of the Green Lantern Corps.
- Preset Conditions: Commands can be stored in the ring to be executed at a later date even if the bearer is not wearing the ring.
(in Season 2, Episodes 9-10 "Hearts and Minds Part 1" and "Part 2", Oct 2003)
Katma appears as John Stewart's former teacher. In the beginning of the episode she fights Despero's army and is one of the few survivors, falling are Arkis Chumumck and Galius Zed. She pretends to serve Despero, but in the end helps the league and Green Lantern Kilowog defeat Despero and turn him into a tree. She, as well helped re-train John in using his ring, referencing Kyle Rayner.
Katma Tui is voiced by Kim Mai Guest.
(in season 1, episode 9 "The Green Loontern", Oct 2003)
She appears in the episode alongside Kilowong and a few other Green Lanterns to team up with Duck Dodgers (aka: Daffy Duck) who's somehow managed to get a Green Lantern power ring.
Katma Tui is voiced by Tara Strong.