doomdoomdoom's Katana #1 - Way of the Outsider review

Clan of One

First off, I'm not familiar with artist Alex Sanchez or any of the work he's done. I also didn't flip through this book in the store like I do most things I'm on the fence about picking up. I get home, drop this issue on the table and open it up only to be confronted with the the single best piece of art I've seen from the whole of the New 52.

The whole issue just drips with beauty and in a couple places looks like If Rossmo tried his hand at Allred's style of art. Needless to say this is my favorite issue to come out of the New 52 if I was to base that on art alone.

I'm not familiar with writer Ann Nocenti either. I appreciate though that she takes the time to explain Katana and her relation to her powerful sword, Soultaker, for someone not familiar with the character. She does this in a way though that someone like me who does know a bit about the character isn't bored. The writing isn't strong enough to blow your mind but it does a good job of setting the scene, which a first issue should.

I don't know if this will be a mini-series, an on-going, or what, but I do hope though that this Katana title sticks around. Taking the solid story-telling and setup in conjunction with the perfect art to fit it, to me, this is one of my favorite issues I've read from DC in the past 2 years or so. I'm really intrigued to know what happens next.