Follow

Karolina Dean

Character » Karolina Dean appears in 249 issues.

Karolina is a member of The Runaways. She's the daughter of Pride members Frank and Leslie Dean, aliens who gain their power from exposure to solar energy. Karolina is notable for being one of Marvel's few LGBTQ characters.

Karolina Apprecation!

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AngelFrost

Since Karolina has no other forums on here, I thought I would create on :) in honour of the amazing and fantastic character, Lucy in the Sky.

Sooo, here is where you can show your love
    and tell everyone;

- What do you think about Karolina? personality, appearance, sexual orientation
    - Do you like her origins? y'know, Recently discovered alien, parents are evil.
    - Powers?
    - What do you want to see happen to her? How will she progress?

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I love you for making this thread.

The thing about Karolina Dean being lesbian is that it was hinted before she made the move on Nico

Yeah the alien thing is cool

Her powers are wonderful, my Character in the RPG has something just like it

I would want to see a mini series on her, and i want to know when Xavin will return.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AngelFrost

I love me for making this thread tooo :)  
    Karolina is awesome.

We don't get much lesbian characters, especially teenage ones
    and she is portrayed perfectly.  In the first volume of Runaways it was hinted at, but they sort of distracted it with the Topher fiasco. 

I <3 Her powers!  it's probably quite stereotypical ... rainbow powers and her being gay and all ... but Heck, It's awesome to see.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Would Xavin be considered straight since he is a guy?.... But he is always a girl when around her though..

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Sparda

Karolina is pretty cool. I think Runaways is full of my favourite female characters in all of comics.....they work so well with eachother. Her powers are cool (and psychedelic to look at), and I never really thought about the relation between her being gay and having rainbow powers. I haven't read many characters that turned out gay, but I think that the reveal that she was was handled very well and I didn't think for a minute "that's stupid".

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AngelFrost
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx:  I think Xavin is technically a bisexual transgender .... Xavin was originally a man, so it was heterosexual but Karolina told him to be a girl, so it was techincally a lesbian relationship.

@Sparda:
    All of the Runaway girls are my favourite comic book chicks tooo! :) they are all amazing.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By pixelized
    @Sparda said:
    " Karolina is pretty cool. I think Runaways is full of my favourite female characters in all of comics.....they work so well with eachother. Her powers are cool (and psychedelic to look at), and I never really thought about the relation between her being gay and having rainbow powers. I haven't read many characters that turned out gay, but I think that the reveal that she was was handled very well and I didn't think for a minute "that's stupid". "
    really??? that saddens me
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @AngelFrost said:
    " @xxCellPhoneGirlxx:   bisexual transgender 

Hmmmmm I didn;t know of such a thing..
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AngelFrost
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
    " @AngelFrost said:
     Hmmmmm I didn;t know of such a thing.. "
    They are Skrulls, They aren't very picky.  lol

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @AngelFrost said:
    " @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
    " @AngelFrost said:
    They are Skrulls, They aren't very picky.  lol   "
    Hmmm The Elektra skrull could of been a man then.....
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AngelFrost
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
    " @AngelFrost said:
    " @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
    " @AngelFrost said:
    They are Skrulls, They aren't very picky.  lol   "
    Hmmm The Elektra skrull could of been a man then..... "
    That would be hard to tell, since Elektra looks like a man anyway.
    Avatar image for clockwork_marks
    clockwork marks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By clockwork marks

I love the concept of an energy being. I always found them entrancing, and for Karolina, the way her powers are drawn is just beautiful. 

I actually knew she was homosexual before reading the comic (that's actually why I read it) But I knew instantly when she told off one of the others not to use the word "gay" as an insult was obvious implication of her sexuality. The only thing I don't like is how picky she is over what form Xavin is in. Xavin seems more conferable as male but doesn't mind being female. I'm gay my self and I have no quell with snuggling the opposite sex. So I find it annoying that she is so hard ass feminist. 

I'd love to see Karolina and Xavin's relationship develop more. Its got to be awkward for there to be a Skrull that keeps shape shifting between genders to please her. I'd like to see some conflict originating from Xavin's suppression of his masculinity. That would be more than interesting.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AngelFrost
    @clockwork marks:  Yeah, Xavin was a good addition to the team. But I don't know   :/   I just didn't care for him like I did for the other Runaways.
    Avatar image for clockwork_marks
    clockwork marks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By clockwork marks
    @AngelFrost: I agree, Xavin isn't as lovable as the rest of the group. I think it's because they haven't shown his personal struggles. Like with Victor, he is a new character but they explore his history quite well. As for Xavin he just plucked Karoline off the face of the planet for a few months and returned with. They don't give a feel for why he ran away
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I wonder when Xavin will return..

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AngelFrost
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx:  If he will return ...
    drdanny10293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By drdanny10293

Awesome i finally found this thread :) karolina is a great character and her powers are cool  

daikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By daikari

I think she is awesome and is very hot. 
    The only thing that I don't like is she is a lesbian... only because she is the hottest girl of the runaways. 
    panda21595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By panda21595

-Karolina is beautiful of course, she's got a realistic personality; because of her balance of aggression and pacifism, Defense and offense, and her internal conflict and finding who she is. And being a lesbian is uber awesome since it's something you don't usually see in a Teen comic (or in most comics) and adds conflict to herself and the team.
    -Her back story had the most impact on her for one and introducing a new alien race is really cool.
    -Having solar powered-powers is cool, and seeing the beautiful colours is really awesome and makes her the most unique character.
    -I'd like to see her and Nico get together and take on a second-in-command role in the team (she's in control of her powers and is smart, and mature enough for the role), and more of her and Nico talking about things like books (considering that Kar is a history buff [as revealed in Dead End Kids] and Nico liking books about monsters and mythos [Runaways Vol. 3 Brian K. Vaughn] )and her just speaking intellectually in general (since she's a history buff and she's not the stereo typical blond.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AngelFrost
    @panda21595:  I totally agree! :D
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AngelFrost
    @panda21595 said:
    " -Karolina is beautiful of course, she's got a realistic personality; because of her balance of aggression and pacifism, Defense and offense, and her internal conflict and finding who she is. And being a lesbian is uber awesome since it's something you don't usually see in a Teen comic (or in most comics) and adds conflict to herself and the team.-Her back story had the most impact on her for one and introducing a new alien race is really cool.-Having solar powered-powers is cool, and seeing the beautiful colours is really awesome and makes her the most unique character.-I'd like to see her and Nico get together and take on a second-in-command role in the team (she's in control of her powers and is smart, and mature enough for the role), and more of her and Nico talking about things like books (considering that Kar is a history buff [as revealed in Dead End Kids] and Nico liking books about monsters and mythos [Runaways Vol. 3 Brian K. Vaughn] )and her just speaking intellectually in general (since she's a history buff and she's not the stereo typical blond. "
    She definately breaks all the rules! :D
    Avatar image for knightofhonor100
    knightofhonor100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By knightofhonor100

I believe Karolina is one of the most relatable characters in comic books. Of course I can't relate to her cause I'm a human male and straight, but I'm speaking of the fact that she has trouble at first accepting who she is, but thankfully, she has friends who are there to help her get through the hard times. Most of us have been there where we struggle with our feelings towards multiple people, and it hurts because we know that sooner or later we'll have to give up one and choose to stick with the other. 

Please hook her up with Nico, Marvel.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Kairan1979
    @AngelFrost
    1. Karolina is interesting, and I don't care about her sexual orientation.
    2. Nice origins, especially the part that brought Xavin on Earth.
    3. Her solar-based powers are pretty amazing.
    4. I hope she returns from comic book Limbo with the other Runaways.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.