Follow

Character » Karma appears in 1609 issues.

Karma is a mutant with the ability to mentally possess other beings. A founding member of the New Mutants, she is one of the few confirmed and openly lesbian characters. She lost a leg and now has a cybernetic one in its place.

grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By grimm

Has karma done anything since M-day?
    Post Edited:2007-10-19 16:33:25

Avatar image for telekinetic_kid
    Telekinetic Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Telekinetic Kid

Nah not that i know of i think that she is just staying with some of the students

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By pixelized

Why wasn't she sent into Limbo to help Illyana???? 

BTW, this is Moonstar, Not Karma
    BTW, this is Moonstar, Not Karma

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

Because of her secondary mutation: to be left behind & forgotten :(

BTW, I thought it was Dani till I looked at the uniform, which looks more like Shan's.  Maybe she stole her wardrobe :)
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pixelized
    Xi'an Coy Manh
    Xi'an Coy Manh
    LOL, Colossus got to go, understandably, but Her and Illyana have history, even if it is brief.

If you look at Xi'an's uniform, her gloves extend to the elbows, Dani's don't. They were drawn nearly identically though.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

Agreed, but like you said to me last week... the new New Mutants series is set in the past so hopefully we'll get some good Karma background.  Awww, hell... who'm I kidding?!  She'll be left behind to tidy the library or something while the others fight demons on the other side of the galaxy or something.

Curse those sneaky, but aesthetically pleasing, artists!! ;)
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pixelized

Lol yeah, about that, i did a little more digging, and it takes place after Infernus ]= So Moonstar is still depowered, Doug is still dead, and everyone still has no idea who Karma is.

Did you read Nyx?? the art looks like the guy who did the first volume of that.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty

Curses!!!  Well, I guess at least if she isn't in it, then at least they can't mess her around any more.  Remember the Beast mini series where Spiral randomly turned Leong & Nga into adult mutant monsters?? 

I only got the first few issues, but that was around the time I was stopping comics, so I sold them soon after :p  But yeah, I know what you mean.  Pretty stuff.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pixelized

New Mutants Volume 2 showed us that her and Moonstar were really close, but how does she interact with the rest of her team??? I didn't read that one, was it any good??

Oh wow! You sold Nyx?!?! i loved that series!

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By John_Feaster
    xerox_kitty said:
    Agreed, but like you said to me last week... the new New Mutants series is set in the past so ... [more]

Actually, it looks like it's set in the current timeline. I mean, it starts off right after X-Infernus and all. Dani Moonstar is still depowered (hope that ends soon) and everything. So...I think it's current.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
    John_Feaster said:
    xerox_kitty said: Agreed, but like you said to me last week... the new New Mutants series is set in the ... [more]
    You've quoted me from TWO MONTHS ago!  No-one knew exact details about the plot, and there were rumours that it was set in the past... now that two issues have been release I KNOW it's set in the present...!!

Who do you think has been updating the Karma page with details of their current situation with Legion... :p 
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By John_Feaster
    xerox_kitty said:
    John_Feaster said: xerox_kitty said: Agreed, but like you said to me last week... the new New Mutants series is set ... [more]

I AM SO SORRY!!!

It's very late (early?) here right now, and I was tired ;>)

I was just on to make a few posts, and as I'd read issue 2 today the New Mutants were fresh in my mind. I wasn't thinking very clearly when I quoted you, and only really realized that your post had been so long ago AFTER the post.

So, what do you think so far? Me, I'm liking what I've read. But then again, I always like to see the classic New Mutants in action...
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xerox_kitty

I heard a pod cast with an interview of Zeb Wells the other day.  He seemed to suggest that Karma was a difficult character to write.  He seems to have a better grasp of her character than Matt Fraction in Uncanny.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pixelized

To Fraction she's a promiscuous wallflower. 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty
    pixelized said:
    To Fraction she's a promiscuous wallflower.
    Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I saw the image of her in bed surrounded by various other beauties.  Apparently being openly gay means you're sexual hunger is never satisfied :p  I guess Fraction hadn't bothered to read up on the stories of her & Kitty... One minute she's terribly alone trying not to take it out on her kid brother & sister as she mourns her unrequited love... the next she's a slut.

How can people actually like his crap?!

BTW, even Power Pack grow quicker that Leong & Nga!!  They've been preteens for too long :p
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pixelized

He obviously doesn't know her character so why did he even throw her in those few scenes she was in? She wore turtlenecks with skirts and worked in a library... like come on, the last thing she'd do is have random one nighters. 

His X-Men have been awful since 500.

LOL they've been forgotten. Where are they now that Karma is a fulltime New Mutant/X-Men? 
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By John_Feaster
    xerox_kitty said:
    pixelized said: To Fraction she's a promiscuous wallflower. Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I saw the image of her ... [more]

Poor Karma. No. Let me rephrase that. Poor lesbians. Poor gay characters in general. Few writers really try to understand them. The best way would be to depict them as regular people who just so happen to like the same gender. But they often become...stereotypes. I thought that the Karma/Kitty dynamic was well handled, and that Karma's solo story after Kitty's loss (lets not say death) was beautiful.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pixelized

Karma's solo story? the Manifest Destiny thing with Emma trying to train her?

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By John_Feaster
    pixelized said:
    Karma's solo story? the Manifest Destiny thing with Emma trying to train her?

Yes, that was the one. Some people didn't like the Manifest Destiny series, but I liked all of them. Each issue had at least one story I was pleased with, and that's all one can ask for. It's always nice when you know your reading someone who actually knows and likes the character they're writing. ;>)
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pixelized

I didn't care for Karma's, maybe it was the art, it was too awful

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty
    pixelized said:
    I didn't care for Karma's, maybe it was the art, it was too awful
    The art was absolutely hideous!  But it was good to have a story with Karma at the centre of it, and to show her mourning for Kitty.  Although it was weird that the moral of the tale was 'control your emotions', when she very rarely lost her temper.  Up until that story I could count the amount of times she'd been out of control one two fingers; New Mutants issue 1 when Psyche accidentally pulled out the memory of her rape & her parents' murder, and after she had defeated the Shadow King but wanted to die instead of being grotesquely obese.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.