What is with his design?

#1 Posted by kimeraevet (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Kang is supposed to be this war mongering cross time/dimension conqueror, but he somehow can not get his armor to look less drag queen? Everything about his armor screams high tech brothel madame and not warrior. Iron Man looks more badass than the guy who has actually conquered empires and other dimensions. Someone at Marvel, if you are reading this or have any say, give Kang a new look. His current one is just not working.

#2 Posted by Green Skin (2918 posts) - - Show Bio

Fashion changes over time, maybe in the time period he's from it does look badass.  You can't really judge him by todays standards since he's from so far in the future.

#3 Posted by DATNIGGA (1232 posts) - - Show Bio

@kimeraevet: lol i like his other outfit/alter ego the scarlet centurion now that looked cool

#4 Posted by Herokiller12344 (997 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm with you, the look he had in the original Avengers cartoon was pretty badass.

#5 Posted by Risky (12629 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd support a new outfit for Kang. Maybe it will be badass sometime in the future but personally I'd rather like it now. ;)

#6 Edited by OmegaHans (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@kimeraevet: That's a legendary Jack Kirby design you're talking about. Original and unique just as Kang is since 1963. Changing his original look would be like changing Dr. Doom out of his armor. We simply shouldn't go there.

Some of you younger readers shouldn't be so quick to want to change everything. I wouldn't take a '57 Chevy and turn it into something that looks like a Prius, how about you?

#7 Posted by kid Apollo (721 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaHans said:

I wouldn't take a '57 Chevy and turn it into something that looks like a Prius, how about you?

lol i wouldnt either but theres a difference between a classic design lasting through the ages, and a design inspired by the time period that doesnt hold up well a few decades later. i personally dont want to see a new costume, but maybe one thats updated a little bit

#8 Posted by Loki9876 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he looks decent when drawn like this but I always wondered about his mask does it mover or what.

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24773 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the thing, in the time he comes from that could be the equivalent of an Armani tux, we can't say for sure because fashions change. Go take a look at some portraits of dudes who were considered certified badasses of the 1600s and it'll prove my point

#10 Posted by Loki9876 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: but the mask does it move or something?

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24773 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876: Maybe its some kind of alloy that conforms to his face as it moves while still protecting him. Or maybe like nanotech so when he smiles or frowns the mask follows suit

#12 Posted by Loki9876 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: yeah, maybe I always thought it was kinda weird.

#13 Posted by OmegaHans (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid Apollo: Well that's vague, how does it NOT hold up?

The fact that some guy is calling him a drag queen (how mature) is the reason why his design should be changed or added to?

Then I take a look at current Batman and Superman with their lined patterns and kneepad look and that's supposed to be somehow an improvement on their classic looks. What an easy sell! Yeah, let's 'new age' everyone's look up to sell some books. Hey look readers, we took off their red or black shorts! Please. Why do people fall for that little marketing scheme?

Should we change Doctor Doom's look now too because wearing a Latverian knights armor design and a big green cloak is so 1960s Lee/Kirby? Change Baron Zemo's design cause it's purple? Change Thanos's look because his gold shoulder pads are too big? Redesign Cap's shield like a cubist painting because it's too basic?

No. Leave it alone. Enough of this mindset of obsolescence to everything that was and still is originally built to last. Polish it up, shine it and it'll look as good as it ever was.

#14 Posted by fesak2 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Green and purple always works when you're a villain

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like his design.He looks like a future guy that can spin the world on his middle finger.

#16 Edited by kid Apollo (721 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaHans: you are right, i should have been more specific. im not looking for a whole new costume, what id like to see is more effort when hes drawn. if every picture of Kang looked like the one above i wouldnt have a problem. but if you look at that cartoon version of him its pretty weak (say what you will about the art direction on A:EMH). and when he was drawn in that Avengers story where they went and met old Tony and Hulk and the kid Avengers, again a little weak.

i guess ive got a problem with artists more then i do with his costume. and like the new Supes and Bats costumes, i dont need all the lines and armor crap everywhere, but dimension, articulation, ANYTHING more then jus a green shirt with a purple cowl. the stiching in the shirt, and the detail in the belt are awesome, but its too easy for artists to jus draw a flat purple belt on a formless green shirt

anyways in the end its my opinion, you have yors and while im not necessarily as into classic design as you, i wouldnt sit there and chew you (and by extension those who think like you) out for their ideals

#17 Posted by OmegaHans (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid Apollo: Indeed, plenty of tech additions to his suit would be a more sensible option. The beauty of Nathaniel Richards is that he has countless versions of himself, and so one never knows one day how he may show up looking in the books.

#18 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5698 posts) - - Show Bio
@OmegaHans

@kid Apollo: Well that's vague, how does it NOT hold up?

The fact that some guy is calling him a drag queen (how mature) is the reason why his design should be changed or added to?

Then I take a look at current Batman and Superman with their lined patterns and kneepad look and that's supposed to be somehow an improvement on their classic looks. What an easy sell! Yeah, let's 'new age' everyone's look up to sell some books. Hey look readers, we took off their red or black shorts! Please. Why do people fall for that little marketing scheme?

Should we change Doctor Doom's look now too because wearing a Latverian knights armor design and a big green cloak is so 1960s Lee/Kirby? Change Baron Zemo's design cause it's purple? Change Thanos's look because his gold shoulder pads are too big? Redesign Cap's shield like a cubist painting because it's too basic?

No. Leave it alone. Enough of this mindset of obsolescence to everything that was and still is originally built to last. Polish it up, shine it and it'll look as good as it ever was.

Superman and Bats look AWESOME without the undies on the outside. Dr. Dooms armor and cloak are timeless. Kang has on a sweater dress and thigh highs, that's not cool.
#19 Edited by OmegaHans (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon: Kang's way of 'cool' and 'awesome' is 24th century 'cool' and 'awesome'. and he's been designed like that for so long he just wouldn't look right any other way.

He's Kang, he takes over worlds for boredom, wears loose green shirts that he conceals armor and huge futuristic guns under and has been with over hundreds of scantily clad Ravonnas and thousands of centuries of women wearing what he classically wears, he's Kang. Nobody can rock it like he can.

#20 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5698 posts) - - Show Bio
@OmegaHans Maybe Prince?
#21 Posted by OmegaHans (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon: Prince? Lol! Sweaters.... no, maybe Bill Cosby?

I get it now, Kang's an evil Cliff Huxtable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.