Is Kaine more relatable than Peter?

#1 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1662 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the new Scarlet Spider more relatable than Pete? I think in a strange way he is.

#2 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17140 posts) - - Show Bio

yes because i use to be a monster and now i am trying to amend myself.

#3 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1662 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull: Abyssus Abyssum invocat, Abyss calls to Abyss. Aren't we all monsters in this life? I'm like Kaine, I used to torture my sisters, when...wait! THEY USED TO TORTURE ME!

#4 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17140 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr said:

@TheAcidSkull: Abyssus Abyssum invocat, Abyss calls to Abyss. Aren't we all monsters in this life? I'm like Kaine, I used to torture my sisters, when...wait! THEY USED TO TORTURE ME!

lol :D

#5 Edited by Strider92 (16032 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe Kaine is more emotionally governed than Peter. For example he gets angry easier and seems to be more impulsive. Where as Peter is much more calm and collected even in the face of something awful. As a character I do not believe he is more relatable but on an emotional level might be. Due to how long Peter has been Spider-man no situation really shocks him or breaks him (even in Dying Wish Peter was still making jokes despite him being trapped in his dying enemies body) Kaine on the other hand is still quite new to this and besides the Spider-family hasn't really been in contact with a lot of superpowered individuals thus he makes more mistakes and reacts to things more genuinely as its a new experience for him. Peter has been hardened by all his experiences to have an idea of what to expect from people Kaine on the other hand is still sort of a newbie at this thus he's far more emotionally governed.

Basically it is possible he may be a tad more relatable by how he acts emotionally but on a character level Peter is probably more relatable.

#6 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

How do relate to some clone dude who died once with a history of permanently scarring people's faces with their hands?

I have no idea

#7 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1662 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man: I think someone hasn't read the "new" Scarlet Spider comic book, where Kaine tries really hard to let go of the past. Kaine's is in search of his own heroic path.

#8 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: most of us dont really have that kind of past to 'let go' to

#9 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1662 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man: Sure! Most of us don't have any super powers either. No need to have such a hainous past to feel related to Kaine. His character is much more deep, if you ask me. But that's just me, man. It's ok if you feel there's nothing there relating you and this character.

#10 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going with no, simply because I am not a clone.

#11 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1662 posts) - - Show Bio

@InfamousFish: Are you certain? That's what Ben kept telling to Pete... ;)

#12 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: Clever one.

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (14409 posts) - - Show Bio

Well currently he is just a bit more relatable.

#14 Posted by wr3h (396 posts) - - Show Bio

yes because i use to be a monster and now i am trying to amend myself.

hahahahahahha

#15 Posted by w0nd (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to me no, if I said that I would just be stretching for any reason to compare myself to a badass.

#16 Edited by Phaedrusgr (1662 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd: Don't know. I feel Kaine depicts the "monster" that everybody "hides" in him. If you want, I could elaborate.

#17 Posted by PunyParker (8829 posts) - - Show Bio

You mean,more relatable than the DOC OCK Peter??....frick yeah....

#18 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1662 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: If someone feels relatable to Doc Ock Peter, he should probably return the stolen body now. And when I say now, I mean NOW!

#19 Posted by PunyParker (8829 posts) - - Show Bio

@phaedrusgr: Something like that,yeah......Spider-Man lost the "relatable" part

#20 Posted by w0nd (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd: Don't know. I feel Kaine depicts the "monster" that everybody "hides" in him. If you want, I could elaborate.

no I totally know what you mean, I was just applying that to me> Most people go on how they have that burden, darkness, monster or whatever within, but in my life that's just not the case, minor things sure like "i told a lie last Tuesday" but no real heavy stuff.

#21 Posted by akbogert (3180 posts) - - Show Bio

I would imagine that if you're currently finding Kaine more likeable than Peter, it's because Yost is a better writer than Slott (at least regarding those respective characters, though I like Yost in general and have heard he was doing well on his Spider-Man book as well).

In general, I feel like Peter's story is supposed to be more relatable though, so I'd say if there's a way to compare the essence of the two characters, the answer to your question should be no. At the moment though... I can understand why folks would say yes.

#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32097 posts) - - Show Bio

How do relate to some clone dude who died once with a history of permanently scarring people's faces with their hands?

I have no idea

I don't know, how do pepole relate to one of the smartest pepole in the world that dates actresses and models and has an aunt that's married to a millionaire that flys her anywhere she want's in his private jet?

#23 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4595 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Kaine relatable? Yes. Is he more relatable than Peter? That's completely subjective in my book.

In my eyes, Kaine is Worse-Day-Peter-24/7. Kaine is a monster now trying to be good. Peter feels guilty for his uncles death. Kaine thinks of the people he's killed.

Peter is witty, nerdy, intelligent, sweet,kind, and all around a good person. Kaine is blunt, rebellious, borderline care-free or careless, vengeful, short tempered, but a nice guy, if you get to know him.Peter becomes more confident when he wears the suit. Kaine is exactly the same with or without the suit.

I relate to both of them. However, I feel like I relate to Kaine more. The reason being because Kaine is negative. Peter is your friendly neighborhood spider-man who is happy to help. Pete will more likely be bummed out if things didn't go his way but keeps his head up. Kaine will MAKE things go his way, or else.

However, I am like Pete in the sense that I can be so nice that others take advantage of me. But, if you push me too far, I turn into Kaine, bluntly harsh and hesitant to help.

(+)

#24 Posted by Fallschirmjager (14699 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is neither have an ongoing series anymore and I am sad.

#25 Edited by HumanRocket (7058 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I relate more to someone who's a clone or to a person who has problems with both being a super hero and a nerd in high school who got pinked around? That's the joke answer my real answer is Kaine is a chracther who's trying to live his life far apart from what Peter life as spider man was. Both don't want the responsibility of having powers but Peter civilian life problems are more relatable than Kaine's clone drama and cell break down of his body.

#26 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1662 posts) - - Show Bio

@humanrocket: What about the monster within story? You don't think that everyone "carries" a monster within? I find Kaine's character more relatable, not for the clone drama, but for the inner struggle. Despite the fact he's a clone, hiding a monster named the "Other" inside him, plus his inner struggle seem way more realistic in my book in comparison to Peter's inner struggle. Don't know. That's just me.

#27 Posted by Mrgreenlantern (650 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! his confessions to the priest show us this, It makes him a much more three dimensional character because of his doubts and constant need to be absolved for his past sins

#28 Edited by MASTER_OF_SUPRISE (443 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't find him more relatable than Peter but I do find him relatable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.