I'm dissapointed

#1 Posted by consolemaster001 (4473 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok i've been reading spidey comics for years now and i recently got into "scarlet spider" and many people seemed to like it ! But after reading a few issues i was dissapointed. I was expecting kaine to be a dark, badass version of spiderman...but he instead turned out to be a crybaby. Okay maybe i'm exaggerating here but about most of the time he's like : "I'M NOT A HERO ! I'M JUST A LOUSY PSYCHOPATH KILLER WAAH WAAH" hell, even his friends tell him to shut the f*ck up once in a while.

The Supporting cast : DON'T GET ME STARTED !!! one of the most annoying cast of characters i have ever seen in a comic.

I try to look past all this but even then it's barely up to par of "half-decent". These are just my thoughts if you liked the comic i'm cool with it.

#2 Posted by Strider92 (15255 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001 said:

I was expecting kaine to be a dark, badass version of spiderman...

This I agree with. Superior Spider-man is doing a better job of being Kaine than Kaine lol.

#3 Posted by PunyParker (7036 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Kaine from the beggining.....he tries to redeem himself...you cant not get I'M NOT A HERO ! I'M JUST A LOUSY PSYCHOPATH KILLER WAAH WAAH things.....

#4 Posted by pulseangel666 (329 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: Check out Scarlet Spider 13 if you haven't yet, sure there is a bit of whining. But one line changes. Be Afraid.. Can't get enough of that series one of the best Marvel books on the shelf if you ask me. But thank God we don't all have the same taste. Would be kinda boring ;)

#5 Posted by consolemaster001 (4473 posts) - - Show Bio

@PunyParker said:

I liked Kaine from the beggining.....he tries to redeem himself...you cant not get I'M NOT A HERO ! I'M JUST A LOUSY PSYCHOPATH KILLER WAAH WAAH things.....

Yeah so did

venom, prowler, deadpool, songbird, red hood and many other villans/criminals who redeemed themselves but you never heard them complain

@Strider92 said:

@consolemaster001 said:

I was expecting kaine to be a dark, badass version of spiderman...

This I agree with. Superior Spider-man is doing a better job of being Kaine than Kaine lol.

Aperantly yeah, a crossover where they fight would be BITCHIN'

@pulseangel666 said:

@consolemaster001: Check out Scarlet Spider 13 if you haven't yet, sure there is a bit of whining. But one line changes. Be Afraid.. Can't get enough of that series one of the best Marvel books on the shelf if you ask me. But thank God we don't all have the same taste. Would be kinda boring ;)

I'll give it a chance but unless it changes my mind it'll be the last scarlet spider i'll pick up.

#6 Posted by PunyParker (7036 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: give it a chance,its good.....well #13 isnt so good,but the rest!!

#7 Posted by consolemaster001 (4473 posts) - - Show Bio

@PunyParker said:

@consolemaster001: give it a chance,its good.....well #13 isnt so good,but the rest!!

I read issues 1-5 and 12 unless something SUPER MEGA AWESOME happened during 6-11 the series isn't really good

#8 Posted by PunyParker (7036 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: no....super mega awesome,no....but read it when Superior comes in!

#9 Posted by ColonelRunAway (369 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001 said:

most of the time he's like : "I'M NOT A HERO ! I'M JUST A LOUSY PSYCHOPATH KILLER WAAH WAAH"

Kaine was always written to be extremely depressed. Always. More even. Yost has yet to write a monologue that comes anywhere close to the self loathing in the J.M. Dematties stuff.

At least the Superior Spider-Man is virtually remorseless because that's how Ock always was, no matter what side he's on. But with Kaine, why would they bother to turn a sympathetic villain into the protagonist if they were just gonna drop everything that defined him as one?

@consolemaster001 said:

I was expecting kaine to be a dark, badass version of spiderman

Forrest for the trees much?

Point One:

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

Issue 3:

Issue 4:

Issue 5:

Issue 6:

Issue 7:

Issue 8:

Issue 9:

Minimum Carnage Alpha:

Issue 10:

Venom 26:

Issue 11:

Venom 27:

Minimum Carnage Omega:

Issue 12:

Issue 12.1:

Issue 13:

#10 Posted by pulseangel666 (329 posts) - - Show Bio

@ColonelRunAway said:

@consolemaster001 said:

most of the time he's like : "I'M NOT A HERO ! I'M JUST A LOUSY PSYCHOPATH KILLER WAAH WAAH"

Kaine was always written to be extremely depressed. Always. More even. Yost has yet to write a monologue that comes anywhere close to the self loathing in the J.M. Dematties stuff.

At least the Superior Spider-Man is virtually remorseless because that's how Ock always was, no matter what side he's on. But with Kaine, why would they bother to turn a sympathetic villain into the protagonist if they were just gonna drop everything that defined him as one?

@consolemaster001 said:

I was expecting kaine to be a dark, badass version of spiderman

Forrest for the trees much?

Point One:

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

Issue 3:

Issue 4:

Issue 5:

Issue 6:

Issue 7:

Issue 8:

Issue 9:

Minimum Carnage Alpha:

Issue 10:

Venom 26:

Issue 11:

Venom 27:

Minimum Carnage Omega:

Issue 12:

Issue 12.1:

Issue 13:

Yes someone who gets me and what I've been trying to so in another thread :D

#11 Posted by Compa (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes i agree with Strider92, i hope marvel will find a writer that can write Kaine right.

#12 Posted by RogueJuggernaut (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: @Compa: I agree with you both and I also do hope that marvel can find a great writer that can write can Kaine right.

#13 Posted by Strider92 (15255 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueJuggernaut said:

@Strider92: @Compa: I agree with you both and I also do hope that marvel can find a great writer that can write can Kaine right.

I don't actually have a problem with the writer. Yost is very good. The thing I don't understand is how Kaine became so remorseful so quickly. It should take more than 1 or 2 comics to turn a cold blooded killer into an anti-hero.

#14 Posted by JonSmith (3793 posts) - - Show Bio

@ColonelRunAway said:

Oh, hey, you. Let me run something by you: I'm thinking about attacking the Doctor via killing everyone he's ever loved. Is that in ANY WAY a good idea?

On topic: Kaine knows he's not as good as his brothers. To them, being good, being responsible was easy. It came naturally. They made one mistake. He made one and kept making them. If he was just a heartless murderer, that wouldn't be a problem. But he has his brothers to look to for how he can be better. His brothers are heroes. After the stuff Kaine's done, he feels he doesn't deserve the title. So he says he's just a psychopathic killer not because he's whining, but because he feels that recognition should go towards someone more deserving.

#15 Posted by Aiden Cross (15510 posts) - - Show Bio

I read up till 5 and i enjoyed it, haven't read any further though. From the sound of it, it went downhill after this?

#16 Posted by RogueJuggernaut (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: It is said in the Scarlet Spider Issue #15 that Kaine will not be the same well what do you think does this mean.

#17 Posted by pulseangel666 (329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross: Keep on reading it gets better! issue 11,12,13 are some of the best comics in a long time!

#18 Posted by Aiden Cross (15510 posts) - - Show Bio

@pulseangel666: I'll give it another shot then, thanks for the tip =)

#19 Posted by Strider92 (15255 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross: Don't stop reading it the series is awesome. Minimum Carnage was a bit of a bust imo but as soon as that was over it was back to form :)

#20 Posted by consolemaster001 (4473 posts) - - Show Bio

@ColonelRunAway: 90s kaine was a badass :D

Also here's what i think about the supporting cast

Aracely: Can br obnoxious at times.

Annabelle: Meh, just meh.

The doctor and the officer: Obvious pandering aside, they're alright.

#21 Posted by Teerack (4544 posts) - - Show Bio

The cast of scarlet spider is the best cast marvel has right now.

#22 Posted by CrimsonAlchemist (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: I've bought nearly every issue of this series and I honestly love it but I get where your coming all this whining is so annoying!

#23 Posted by TDK_1997 (13670 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Yost is doing the perfect job on Scarlet Spider.He's making Kaine that guy that doesn't want to be a hero but he is.

#24 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1639 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997: Well said, well said!

I hope you kept reading Scarlet Spider...Can't wait for the #15.

#25 Posted by consolemaster001 (4473 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

@consolemaster001: I've bought nearly every issue of this series and I honestly love it but I get where your coming all this whining is so annoying!

you don't have to agree with me.

All this praise is so annoying!

@Phaedrusgr said:

@TDK_1997: Well said, well said!

I hope you kept reading Scarlet Spider...Can't wait for the #15.

I don't see any reason why ?

#26 Posted by Hanson724 (444 posts) - - Show Bio

I started reading this with the Minimum Carnage crossover. That was pretty good but when it was over this book really took off. I love that he's in Houston and not overshadowed by everyone else in New York. I understand about him whining alot about being a psychopath or a hero but I don't think it takes away from his likeability. And I think he'll stop doing it nearly as much after the current story line.Alot of super heroes do the self brooding thing. This and Venom are the only two Spider books I pull. when I got back into comics a year and a half ago i tried Spider-man. Now there's someone who was constantly whining so I dropped it after 4 issues.

#27 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1639 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: Really? I guess it's a matter of taste. So, Scarlet Spider is clearly not your cup of tea. Forgive me, I got to ask, just to be sure about it, have you seen the latest developments (#14)? If the answer is yes and you still don't like it, then it's clear Scarlet Spider is not your title. I'm not judging you of course! You must read whatever makes you happy, man! Your money, your time, your taste!

#28 Posted by consolemaster001 (4473 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: Thanks for understanding man, i'll give it one...ONE last chance

#29 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1639 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: Haha...I'd say you won't regret it, but don't know...let's be moderatively optimistic...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.