Follow

Justice Society of America

Team » Justice Society of America appears in 1370 issues.

The Justice Society of America was the 1st super team in the DCU. Currently, they are a large group of crime-fighters that are protecting and rebuilding Monument Point following a catastrophic battle. The emphasis here is on training and preparing the next generation of heroes.

The Justice Society in the DCNu? by Michael Doran

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DMC

I never thought of it till I read this article over on Newsarama. Throwing the question out there would be good enough but I'll throw in the article anyways. 

“Every title will start fresh with a number one and feature a new modern outlook...”

“...modernize the DC Universe.”

“...something brand-new and fresh...”

“...more modern and diverse 21st century.”

“...our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

Those are just a few of the quotes coming from DC Entertainment Tuesday about their plans to "revamp" their entire line of DC Universe books beginning in September.

Together with the announcement about same-day digital distribution of their entire output, which will all relaunch with new #1 issues, DC was very successful in creating the impression that while valuing their current readers, they want and need new ones.

...And younger ones.

...And from more diverse walks of life than your typical comic book-buying demo.

The intent of their master plan is unassailable. Their execution will be the rub — the public's appetite for it remains to be seen, and its ultimate success is anyone's guess.

But what we can say now is what most sixth graders learn in science class; that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. With this clear new emphasis on new, young and modern, Newsarama can’t help asking ourselves this afternoon...

How the hell does the Justice Society of America fit into the fresh new "DCNu"?

Now, if you’re reading this with us, we probably don’t have to explain to you who the Justice Society is, or detail their utter whopper of a history in the DC Universe. Long story short — the foundation of the team is superheroes that fought in World War II.

No, not the Second Gulf War. The “Big One”. The one that took place in the 1940s that your grandfather and history teachers go on and on about.

That makes the JSA like, really really old, dude, and decidedly not modern.

Now, to be fair, a majority of the most current incarnation of the JSA are "legacy" characters — the sons and daughters and grandkids of many of the original team members. DC even recently tried giving some of the lesser-geriatric members of the team an ongoing series of their own, JSA All-Stars, but it can no longer count itself among the currently published.

But be all that as it may, even the staunchest fans of the series would likely to acknowledge that the Justice Society concept is indeed "legacy" — a continuation of tradition, a celebration of history, and an acknowledgement of the enduring nature of heroism.

"Legacy." "Tradition." "History." "Grandkids."

"Brand New." "Fresh." "Modern." "Younger."

See what we're getting at here?

Now to be fair again, DC’s greatest heroes — Superman, Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman — are in fact older then DC’s superheroes of the Greatest Generation. The secondary core of their Universe are mostly products of the early 60’s and, by god, man, if Tim Drake actually aged he’d be pushing 40 soon. (Maybe he became Red Robin to hide his combover?)

But fans accept DC sending these icons to the editorial-slash-continuity Lazarus Pit every decade or so.

That's not so easy with The Justice Society of America.

Sure, you can take the heroes out of WWII, but can you take the WWII out of the heroes? What are the JSA if not the elder statesmen and torchbearers of the DCU? Even if you took out the 90-somethings from the line-up, what else do they stand for?

Heck, even their very name is a constant reminder of their place as predecessors to the Justice League, the centerpiece of DC's new September youthful, modern initiative.

There is even some precedent here. After 1985-86's original Crisis of Infinite Earth (the now granddaddy of DC reboots), despite the Justice Society being merged onto the same singular Earth with their Silver Age counterparts, their existence was somewhat deemphasized by DC. It wasn't until 5 years later that the JSA emerged as star of their own titles, and it wasn't until James Robinson and David Goyer's 1999 revival JSA that the team truly reestablished a foothold in the DCU.

And irony alert - it was Geoff Johns, undoubtedly one of the architects of the new DCU, who gained much oh his fan-favorite status working on that title with Goyer, then solo, then relaunching it as Justice Socety of America

So with the blinds being raised and DC going all-in on new and young in September, does it make any sense for the publisher to deal in a team and characters who can’t help serve as reminder of how old their stable of characters  really are?

Newsarama is going to guess "no." Of the 52 titles being launched or relaunched this August and September, we’ll be surprised if the Justice Society is among them.

But that’s just us.

What do you think?

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu-justice-society-110601.html
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

I'm curious. A streamlining I can handle, kind of like they did back with the first Crisis. I don't want Superman or Wonder Woman trying to use slang though.

Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bearded Justice

wwweeelll im gonna go lock myself in the basement and call it a lifetime
    alias44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By alias44

I have a sick feeling there isn't going to be a JSA.  And looking at some of the new costuming (like Canary on the BOP Cover) I'm pretty sure this reboot is going to be a big f-ing mistake of a spectacular proportion.

alias44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By alias44

1. All-Star Western #1 by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti
          and Moritat
          2. Animal Man #1 by Jeff Lemire and Travel Foreman and Dan Green
          3. Aquaman #1 by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis
          4. Batgirl #1 by Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes
          5. Batman #1 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
          6. Batman: The Dark Knight #1 by David Finch
          7. Batman and Robin #1 by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason
          8. Batwing #1 by Judd Winick and Ben Oliver
          9. Batwoman #1 by J.H. Williams III, Haden Blackman and Amy Reeder
          10. Birds Of Prey #1 by Duane Swierczynski and Jesus Saiz
          11. Blackhawks #1 by Mike Costa and Ken Lashley
          12. Blue Beetle #1, by Tony Bedard Ig Guara and Ruy Jose.
          13. Captain Atom #1 by JT Krul and Freddie Williams II
          14. Catwoman #1 by Judd Winick and Guillem March
          15. DC Universe Presents #1 by Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang
          16. Deathstroke#1 by Kyle Higgins and Joe Bennett and Art Thibert
          17. Demon Knights #1 by Paul Cornell and Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert
          18. Detective Comics #1 by Tony Daniel
          19. Flash #1 by Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul
          20. Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE #1 by Jeff Lemire and Alberto Ponticelli
          21. Fury of Firestorm #1 by Gail Simone, Ethan Van Sciver and Yildiray Cinar
          22. Green Arrow #1 by JT Krul and Dan Jurgens
          23. Green Lantern #1 by Geoff Johns, Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy
          24. Green Lantern Corps #1 by Peter J. Tomasi, Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna
          25. Green Lanterns: New Guardians #1 by Tony Bedard, Tyler Kirkham and Batt
          26 Grifter #1 by Nathan Edmondson and Cafu and Bit
          27 Hawk and Dove #1 by Sterling Gates and Rob Liefeld
          28. I, Vampire by Josh Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino
          29. JLA#1 by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee
          30. Justice League Dark #1 by Peter Milligan and Mikel Janin
          31. Justice League International #1 by Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti
          32. Legion Lost #1 by Fabian Niceiza and Pete Woods
          33. Legion of Super-Heroes #1 by Paul Levitz and Francis Portela
          34. Mr Terrific #1 by Eric Wallace and Roger Robinson
          35. Nightwing #1 by Kyle Higgins and Eddy Barrows
          36. OMAC by Dan Didillio, Keith Giffen and Scott Koblish
          37. Red Hood and The Outlaws #1 by Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort
          38. Red Lanterns #1 by Peter Milligan, Ed Benes and Rob Hunter
          39. Resurrection Man #1 by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and Fernando Dagnino
          40 Savage Hawkman #1 byTony Daniel and Philip Tan
          41. Sgt. Rock and the Men of War #1 by Ivan Brandon and
          Tom Derenick
          42. Static Shock #1 by John Rozum, Scott McDaniel and Jonathan Glapion
          43 Stormwatch #1 by Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda
          44. Suicide Squad #1 by Adam Glass and Marco Rudy
          45. Swamp Thing #1 by Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette w/Francesco Francavilla
          46. Teen Titans #1 by Scott Lobdell Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund
          47. Voodoo #1 by Ron Marz and Sami Basri
          48. Wonder Woman #1 by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang

That leaves Superman, Action Comics, Supergirl and Superboy.  They've released
          pics (that appear to be covers) of Superman, Supergirl and Superboy. I doubt
          they're going to cancel Action -- which means there's no Power Girl or JSA.
          I can't spew enough profanity to show how I feel.

alias44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By alias44
    @Adnan said:
    @alias44: Wait until you read the story first, then feel free to call it a big f-ing disaster dude ;]   Also, there are already some titles in the works that won't be released till a little after these 52 titles (e.g. a Speedforce book), so maybe JSA and Power Girl books aren't a lost hope.
    You're right.  And I'll keep buying.  Hell, I've been collecting since '74. Old junkies never change....
    alias44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alias44

Here's the final list:
    No JSA
    01. Action Comics by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales
    02. All-Star Western #1 by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti and Moritat
    03. Animal Man #1 by Jeff Lemire and Travel Foreman and Dan Green
    04. Aquaman #1 by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis
    05. Batgirl #1 by Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes
    06. Batman #1 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
    07. Batman: The Dark Knight #1 by David Finch
    08. Batman and Robin #1 by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason
    09. Batwing #1 by Judd Winick and Ben Oliver
    10. Batwoman #1 by J.H. Williams III, Haden Blackman and Amy Reeder
    11. Birds Of Prey #1 by Duane Swierczynski and Jesus Saiz
    12. Blackhawks #1 by Mike Costa and Ken Lashley
    13. Blue Beetle #1, by Tony Bedard Ig Guara and Ruy Jose.
    14. Captain Atom #1 by JT Krul and Freddie Williams II
    15. Catwoman #1 by Judd Winick and Guillem March
    16. DC Universe Presents #1 by Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang
    17. Deathstroke#1 by Kyle Higgins and Joe Bennett and Art Thibert
    18. Demon Knights #1 by Paul Cornell and Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert
    19. Detective Comics #1 by Tony Daniel
    20. Flash #1 by Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul
    21. Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE #1 by Jeff Lemire and Alberto Ponticelli
    22. Fury of Firestorm #1 by Gail Simone, Ethan Van Sciver and Yildiray Cinar
    23. Green Arrow #1 by JT Krul and Dan Jurgens
    24. Green Lantern #1 by Geoff Johns, Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy
    25. Green Lantern Corps #1 by Peter J. Tomasi, Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna
    26. Green Lanterns: New Guardians #1 by Tony Bedard, Tyler Kirkham and Batt
    27  Grifter #1 by Nathan Edmondson and Cafu and Bit
    28  Hawk and Dove #1 by Sterling Gates and Rob Liefeld
    29. I, Vampire by Josh Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino
    30. JLA#1 by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee
    31. Justice League Dark #1 by Peter Milligan and Mikel Janin
    32. Justice League International #1 by Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti
    33. Legion Lost #1 by Fabian Niceiza and Pete Woods
    34. Legion of Super-Heroes #1 by Paul Levitz and Francis Portela
    35. Mr Terrific #1 by Eric Wallace and Roger Robinson
    36. Nightwing #1 by Kyle Higgins and Eddy Barrows
    37. OMAC by Dan Didillio, Keith Giffen and Scott Koblish
    38. Red Hood and The Outlaws #1 by Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort
    39. Red Lanterns #1 by Peter Milligan, Ed Benes and Rob Hunter
    40. Resurrection Man #1 by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and Fernando Dagnino
    41  Savage Hawkman #1 byTony Daniel and Philip Tan
    42. Sgt. Rock and the Men of War #1 by Ivan Brandon and Tom Derenick
    43. Static Shock #1 by John Rozum, Scott McDaniel and Jonathan Glapion
    44  Stormwatch #1 by Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda
    45. Suicide Squad #1 by Adam Glass and Marco Rudy
    46. Superboy #1 by Scott Lobdell, R.B. Silva and Rob Lean
    47. Supergirl #1 by Michael Green and Mike Johnson and Mahmud Asrar
    48. Superman #1 by George Perez and Jesus Merino (REALLY?)
    49. Swamp Thing #1 by Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette w/Francesco Francavilla
    50. Teen Titans #1 by Scott Lobdell Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund
    51. Voodoo #1 by Ron Marz and Sami Basri
    52. Wonder Woman #1 by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By brc2000

I can handle there not being any JSA titles for the time being. But if there's no JSA in the DCU period, it's going to suck. One of the reasons I prefer DC over Marvel, is because for the most part they respect the classic superhero thing. Now it looks like that's changing to appeal to the X-box/Facebook/anime generation. I'm still honestly looking forward to this, because they still have a giant roster of talent, but I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy DC as much as I used to.

alias44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By alias44

I've been a JSA fan since '77.  It's what brought me to DC.  Nearing 50, the idea of generational continuity is very comforting.  Without that -- I just don't know....

Avatar image for matthew_corleone
    matthew corleone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By matthew corleone

Alright I've read somewhere that the 52 new titles that will be released are the first set.They're teh starters and there is more comics in the work.Eventually more titles will be released and I am sure the Justice Society and many more other titles such as Legion and Secret Six will be released

alias44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alias44

From CBR:

One of the many questions surrounding DC Comics’ line-wide renumbering centered on the absence of Justice Society of America, a title that in recent years had undergone its own high-profile reboot and spawned two spinoff series. The Justice Society, with a sprawling membership that includes Golden Age characters (or their namesakes) like The Flash, Hawkman, Green Lantern and Hourman, reached deep into DC, and comic-book, history, forming the very first team of superheroes.

But Justice Society wasn’t among the 52 books rolled out by the publisher last week. Neither, for that matter, was Power Girl, whose title character has been closely associated with the JSA since her debut in 1976. And the solicitation for Mister Terrific #1, featuring a new take on “the world’s third-smartest man” — and two-time chairman of the team — makes no mention of the group. Then came the unveiling on Friday of Action Comics #1 which, as Robot 6′s J.K. Parkin pointed out, refers to “a world that doesn’t trust their first Super Hero.”

If all of that isn’t enough to signal the end, or non-existence, of the world’s first team of superheroes, official word came over the weekend from Co-Publisher Dan DiDio, who wrote on his Facebook page, “As for JSA, we have decided to rest this concept while we devote our attention on the launch of the three new Justice League series. As for other characters and series not part of the initial 52, there are plenty of stories to be told, and we’re just getting started.”

As with any demise in superhero comics, this one is probably only temporary (heck, the JSA itself has been put to “rest,” only to be resurrected, a handful of times over the past 60 years). However, when the publisher is pushing a “modern” and “contemporary” take on its superhero universe, grappling with graying characters so firmly rooted in World War II will undoubtedly prove problematic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.