Follow

Justice Society of America

Team » Justice Society of America appears in 1370 issues.

The Justice Society of America was the 1st super team in the DCU. Currently, they are a large group of crime-fighters that are protecting and rebuilding Monument Point following a catastrophic battle. The emphasis here is on training and preparing the next generation of heroes.

Is it time to retire the Nazis?

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrMiracle77

Its another year and it seems we have yet another story arc in which a group of heroes are fighting the Nazis.  This time, in the pages of JSA, we find the majority of heroes captured and de-powered with little explanation as of yet as to how or why they got that way.

It seems like two years ago Mr. Terrific was involved in another Nazi related pickle in the pages of JSA:Classified, and several Nazi-related characters were involved in the origin of Citizen Steel.  Before that, we had the League fighting Axis America in the pages of JLA and so forth and so on.

So have the Nazis become nothing more than a villain of convenience?  Does every writer need their whack at the swastika?  Are we so short on creating new situations for established villains, or new villains with new motivations that we have to resurrect a 60+ years defunct political party?  Even Spielberg has finally gotten around to upgrading Indiana to fighting commies.

I can live through another arc, I suppose.  I'm just worried that this is going to become an ongoing theme for the current volume of JSA: every 18 months we get another generic "round with the reich", you know?

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Aronmorales

I suppose people like to have their heroes fight off Nazi's because of how bad they are and how good it would look to have their champions beat them.

I agree, if your hero is in the "Now", have him fight radicals, commies, or something other than the Nazi party.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Supreme Marvel

There are still many around today.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Aronmorales
    @Omega Ray Jay said:
    " Some Nazis are very much alive and well unfortunately. "
    Oh yeah, can't believe that I ignored stuff like this.
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MrMiracle77

But haven't they pretty much just become an instrument of convenient writing?  Elements of Nazi-ism still exist, but such behavior is universally seen as outdated and laughable.

If a writer needs to come up with an enemy for whom the audience will have absolutely no sympathy, aren't the Nazi's an all-to-easy answer?  Where's the creative thinking?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.