Follow

Justice Society of America

Team » Justice Society of America appears in 1370 issues.

The Justice Society of America was the 1st super team in the DCU. Currently, they are a large group of crime-fighters that are protecting and rebuilding Monument Point following a catastrophic battle. The emphasis here is on training and preparing the next generation of heroes.

Didio on the JSA

alias44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By alias44

From CBR:

One of the many questions surrounding DC Comics’ line-wide renumbering centered on the absence of Justice Society of America, a title that in recent years had undergone its own high-profile reboot and spawned two spinoff series. The Justice Society, with a sprawling membership that includes Golden Age characters (or their namesakes) like The Flash, Hawkman, Green Lantern and Hourman, reached deep into DC, and comic-book, history, forming the very first team of superheroes.

But Justice Society wasn’t among the 52 books rolled out by the publisher last week. Neither, for that matter, was Power Girl, whose title character has been closely associated with the JSA since her debut in 1976. And the solicitation for Mister Terrific #1, featuring a new take on “the world’s third-smartest man” — and two-time chairman of the team — makes no mention of the group. Then came the unveiling on Friday of Action Comics #1 which, as Robot 6′s J.K. Parkin pointed out, refers to “a world that doesn’t trust their first Super Hero.”

If all of that isn’t enough to signal the end, or non-existence, of the world’s first team of superheroes, official word came over the weekend from Co-Publisher Dan DiDio, who wrote on his Facebook page, “As for JSA, we have decided to rest this concept while we devote our attention on the launch of the three new Justice League series. As for other characters and series not part of the initial 52, there are plenty of stories to be told, and we’re just getting started.”

As with any demise in superhero comics, this one is probably only temporary (heck, the JSA itself has been put to “rest,” only to be resurrected, a handful of times over the past 60 years). However, when the publisher is pushing a “modern” and “contemporary” take on its superhero universe, grappling with graying characters so firmly rooted in World War II will undoubtedly prove problematic.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

::sighs:: I'm sad now.

Avatar image for comix_christian
    comix christian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By comix christian

Well it pretty easy to get around that whole first Superhero stuff. The JSA could just have been a covert group working for the government during wwll. That would explain why Superman would be the first known superhero. After the war ended the government tought the JSA was to powerfull to keep around, and frose them down or somthing. then they would also be younger as they would not have aged since the war ended...
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg
    @alias44: Thanks for posting this over here. Sad day indeed, but not unexpected. Legacies and generations are being reduced.
    alias44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By alias44

Maybe they'll reincorporate Earth Two.  That would (at the very least) be something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Whew, I thought this meant Didio was going to be writing JSA....
    alias44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alias44
    @Jake Fury: Dude -- that's just too scary!
    kamandi63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kamandi63
    @RedheadedAtrocitus
    ..I understand DC's reasoning to upgrade or "refresh" characters and concepts, and I have enjoyed Flashpoint and some of the mini's, and am even going to try several of the new #'1's, but I wonder if Didio and his people realize how many older readers/fans are out there..? I have been a huge DC fan since 74', but if they are going to trash the JSA and all that history then its a damn shame..I hope this reboot doesnt exclude the group from ever coming back..just saying..
    redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By redmanta

the jsa is coming back  guys it s been revealed that James Robinson and Nicola Scott  working on  jsa number 1

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By harleyquinn12
    @darkrider
    Really??? That's like a dream creative team for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.