Review: Justice Society of America #38

Posted by inferiorego (24529 posts) - - Show Bio
This is part three of the current story.This parallel world-esque story continues as the Forth Reich has taken over the world and the only Justice Society of America member left Mr. Terrific deals with a future he seemingly could have prevented. This issue revolves more around how the Forth Reich came to power, and how they got rid of some of Earth's toughest superheroes.

The Good

This is truly an amazing story. I love essentially "what if" books and although this seemingly takes place in DC continuity, it will eventually become one of those parallel world stories after it's finished. Mr Terrific is one of my favorite JSA members, and it's nice to see a story revolving a little more around him than anyone else. In addition, it's one of those "What if the Nazis took over?" stories, which is something many people have thought about at some point in their life, and it's fun/scary to see it played out on the pages of JSA. This book can be summed up in one word: Hopelessness. Not total hopelessness, but you do get an overwhelming feeling that nothing is going to change, which makes the eventual conclusion of this story so much more intriguing.

The Bad

Lots of people have been dropping the book since Johns left, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't give this a chance. The first couple of stories were good, but this storyline has been a lot of fun. I don't know about you guys, but (MINOR SPOILER)
As I say every week about a DC comic in the middle of a story arc, they need to have an opening page explaining what is going on. If the average reader picked this book up for the first time, I'm sure they'd enjoy what they read, but they'd be incredibly confused, especially with this story. One page is all you need to sum it up, so there's not too much confusion. 

The Verdict

As I said before, readership is down, but this is a storyline is incredibly enjoyable, and if you can, pick up 36 and 37 to get caught up. This is one book, especially this story, that is worth 100% of your time.

Recommended

4/5

Staff
#1 Posted by BKole (501 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I'm not going to lie. Just like when John's left last time, JSA sort of...fizzled out. I can't say I am enjoying this title under Willingham and Sturges.
#2 Posted by advocatefish (142 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried getting into JSA with Thy kingdom come, didnt work. Tried Jsa All Stars, didnt work. They seems like great characters but the writing didnt draw me in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.