inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    Is it Magog's end? (I hope so) The Justice Society of America comes back together in order to stop Magog.

The Good

While I loved the character Gog during the Kingdom Come run of JSA, I found myself despising David Reid who later became someone I despised even more: Magog. From the looks of the solicit, it sounded like they're killing off this character, so I was intrigued. It was also drawn and written by Scott Kolins, a writer and artist I admire. I love Kolins' heavy line work on some of these characters. It's a style he's known for and the reason I started following him. Overall, I do think this is a great tie-up to the Kingdom Come storyline, and a great way to bring the JSA back together, without Magog screwing everything up.

The Bad

Here we go... I hate doing this because it is my favorite team, but man, this was not a fun read. It's a bunch of pages of Magog and his army fighting the JSA as he loses control over himself and become possessed with Gog. First, I got so excited at the prospect of Gog coming back, and only later did I realize that Gog isn't coming back. Towards the end of this story, again, I was getting extremely excited at the prospect of Magog dying a horrible HORRIBLE death only later to realize he's not going to die. The actual writing and dialogue in this issue is great, but the actual overall story I just can't get into.

The Verdict - 2.5/5

It's nice to see things tied-up, but at what cost? Magog still exists, Gog is still dead, and a new creative team is taking over JSA. Unless you're a die-hard JSA fan, you're going to want to pass this one up. If you're a die-hard JSA AND Scott Kolins fan like myself, pick it up since Scott's work is great on this issue. Otherwise, wait for the next run of JSA to come out and Praise be to Gog... but not Magog.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @inferiorego: So for a Die-Hard JSA All-stars fan, yay or nay? Nice review, btw :)
    Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)

I'm picking this up tomorrow but, wow, 2.5 ? I was expecting this issue to be something of epicness considering its JSA and a Special issue. But no sweat. My guess is Magog's future is not gonna be that bright in the end, with Max Lord on his side. ( even though I pretty much liked the character).

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @inferiorego: So for a Die-Hard JSA All-stars fan, yay or nay? Nice review, btw :) "
    I have a feeling you may be as disappointed as I was
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4  Edited By Decept-O

Hate to admit but I stopped picking up JSA because the book was getting inconsistent PLUS I also hate Magog and honestly, really didn't care much for Gog.   

I don't know, the whole injection of characters from the KINGDOM COME story was a bit too out of place for me although I did like the KINGDOM COME Superman.  

Maybe things will change for the better after this issue?
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @inferiorego said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @inferiorego: So for a Die-Hard JSA All-stars fan, yay or nay? Nice review, btw :) "
    I have a feeling you may be as disappointed as I was "
    Damn, JSA AS has been my favourite book since Magog left. I was really hoping they were turning the neglected family of the DCU around. That's a real shame :(
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Decept-O said:
    " Hate to admit but I stopped picking up JSA because the book was getting inconsistent PLUS I also hate Magog and honestly, really didn't care much for Gog.    I don't know, the whole injection of characters from the KINGDOM COME story was a bit too out of place for me although I did like the KINGDOM COME Superman.   Maybe things will change for the better after this issue? "
    I hope so. I love Willingham's run on the book, but it was so short. I'm hoping the next run with Guggenheim will be good, especially with Scott Kolins on art
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

What if you just a Scott Kolins.  Not really JSA?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By longbowhunter

I hope Magog gets smoked by Max Lord.
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mbecks14

i freaking hate Magog. he's NOT a good character. Him and Azrael need to just go away.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Martian
    @Mbecks14 said:
    " i freaking hate Magog. he's NOT a good character. Him and Azrael need to just go away. "
    YES!!!!!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAGOG'S THE ABSOLUTE WORST CHARACTER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#12  Edited By MatKrenz

Well Magog might die during Generation Lost,so to everybody that hates him cross your fingers.
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Magog's character in Kingdom Come was to represent a hero who crossed the line, and in reality was to represent the new superhero comics where heroes were more dark and killed and weren't too different from the bad guys they fought. COUGH!  Cable! COUGH! 
    So, does he work in regular continuity?

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Eyz
    @longbowhunter: Wouldn't surprise me, coming from Max! XD
    Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Joey Ravn

Is this book relevant to Magog's role in Generation Lost? I don't really understand why DC decided to release this as a special instead of two more numbers in the Magog series. I'll pick this up, because I love Scott Kolins art, but I don't expect much from it...

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @ArtisticNeedham said:
    " Magog's character in Kingdom Come was to represent a hero who crossed the line, and in reality was to represent the new superhero comics where heroes were more dark and killed and weren't too different from the bad guys they fought. COUGH!  Cable! COUGH!  So, does he work in regular continuity? "
    He worked extremely well when Johns was writing him, but after Johns left, he became what he parodied. 
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By NightFang3

I thought this issue would be better, but i'll read it anyway.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.