gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Let’s admit it, there’s been a lot of hype for this story arc. We saw how things went between Darkseid and the Justice League in the first arc of this series. This was the first time Darkseid’s will was denied. He would be coming back with a vengeance. We’ve also been waiting on this “world destroyer” that was mentioned by the Crime Syndicate in Forever Evil. Joining in on the fun is Darkseid’s daughter, her mother, as well as Mister Miracle. With the prelude in issue #40 and the sneak peek in the Free Comic Book Day issue, it’s been hard not to get amped up for this arc.

Geoff Johns is known for having a big picture in mind. He plays the long game. Looking back and this series, you can see the various seeds he’s been planting. He is taking advantage of the fact that he has DC’s biggest characters at his disposal. This does feel like it could be the next big summer comic book event but instead of subjecting us to a multitude of tie-ins, all the action is contained to this one series. What more could we ask for?

The issue starts out with a dark mystery. We see two familiar figures hunting down a certain person. They clearly will go to any means to find this person. It immediately sets the tone and shows this isn’t going to be all fun and games. We are also treated to a wonderful introduction to Mister Miracle. He has been seen in the New 52, in EARTH 2, but his character and background are fleshed out here for those unfamiliar with who he is. When it’s time for the Justice League to come into the issue, we’re welcomed, in a way, by Wonder Woman. Johns has mentioned she would be a central figure in the storyline and it’s great to see her inner monologue instead of Batman or Superman’s. Seeing the team working together to try to get some answers is great, especially since this is the calm before the storm.

Jason Fabok’s art is simply fantastic. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Fabok’s art keeps getting better and better. His depiction of the characters truly does them justice (no pun intended). As if that wasn’t enough, Brad Anderson’s colors adds to the vibe and mood of the story with his choice of colors and lighting.

The Bad

It’s not necessarily a bad thing but it almost feels like there’s too many characters coming into this story. We’ve seen some characters get nudged out of the spotlight in the past. Hopefully everyone will get a chance to shine at some point.

I am curious about Mister Miracle being here and what he's done since he was last seen. But that doesn't affect the enjoyment of this story.

The Verdict

Often when we read the first part of a big story, there's a lot of set up and the action is often light. That isn't the case here. Geoff Johns has been moving this series towards Darkseid War since the first issue. While we are introduced to some new players, there is plenty of story, character building, and action to keep us glued. Jason Fabok and Brad Anderson's art and colors are phenomenal. There's some big developments and huge twists even though the story is just beginning. Who knows how intense things will get after this? This is like a summer blockbuster movie. Where's my popcorn at? I'll be counting down the days until issue #42.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Am I the only one who wanted to see The Green Knight in action? Lex is such a tool. =D

5-5!

Aurelian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Art was really fantastic

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who wanted to see The Green Knight in action? Lex is such a tool. =D

5-5!

Not really his fault.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: At least, this time, that Geoff removed Superman from the story in JL it looks like Superman will have something to do.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I'm now convinced Origins was secretly written by Jim Lee, because Johns's Darkseid was actually menacing here.

That Christy Mack cosplayer is a terrible Villain Sue, though; she just walks in with ways to easily defeat everyone on the League, Identity Crisis has a contender now. I don't even know what that thing with Flash's mouth was.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr.Miracle looks awesome O_O

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By HolySerpent

5/5 I enjoy it so much

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

This comic made me so happy.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death To Darksied

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#10 inferiorego  Staff

My favorite book of the week.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Superguy1591

@saren said:

I'm now convinced Origins was secretly written by Jim Lee, because Johns's Darkseid was actually menacing here.

That Christy Mack cosplayer is a terrible Villain Sue, though; she just walks in with ways to easily defeat everyone on the League, Identity Crisis has a contender now. I don't even know what that thing with Flash's mouth was.

Couple of things:

1.) she's half New-God/half Amason-seems silly to compare her to Deathstroke. She's at least Wonder Woman level.

2.) I think Geoff was thinking more Priya Rai...

No Caption Provided

Wait for it...

No Caption Provided

Coincedence? I think so.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are making my jiggly bits tingle with all this hype. Cannot wait to read it

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Couple of things:

1.) she's half New-God/half Atlantean--seems silly to compare her to Deathstroke.

2.) I think Geoff was thinkI got more Priya Rai...

Wait for it...

Coincedence? I think so.

You mean half Amazon. Comparison seems alright to me considering they both had stupid ways of defeating heroes; Grail pulling herself out of Flash's mouth is just like Slade defeating the Atom with a laser pointer --- it seems cool at first but it makes no goddamn sense. And Darkseid couldn't even break Diana's bracelets, so Grail shattering them is your typical "Look how cool the villain of the week is!" moment. And what was her grabbing will and throwing it back at Hal supposed to be?

That stupid haircut is becoming all the rage among artists now for whatever reason; so many new characters have it now in both Marvel and DC. I don't know why; I've never seen any woman sporting a cut like that outside of adult entertainment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

was very entertaining

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:
    @superguy1591 said:
    @saren said:

Couple of things:

1.) she's half New-God/half Atlantean--seems silly to compare her to Deathstroke.

Wait for it...

Coincedence? I think so.

You mean half Amazon. Comparison seems alright to me considering they both had stupid ways of defeating heroes; Grail pulling herself out of Flash's mouth is just like Slade defeating the Atom with a laser pointer --- it seems cool at first but it makes no goddamn sense. And Darkseid couldn't even break Diana's bracelets, so Grail shattering them is your typical "Look how cool the villain of the week is!" moment. And what was her grabbing will and throwing it back at Hal supposed to be?

That stupid haircut is becoming all the rage among artists now for whatever reason; so many new characters have it now in both Marvel and DC. I don't know why; I've never seen any woman sporting a cut like that outside of adult entertainment.

Just wondering which bracelets did she break? The Fabok bracelets or the normal?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Superguy1591

@saren:

@saren: I think she used Barry's signature to find this Earth because Barry's has always been an inter-dimensional traveler. I think she just used him as a makeshift motherbox. The mouth thing could've just been for shock value, but everyone else got taken down cleanly.

She said she had been studying them, hence why she got the drop on them so easily. It's also suggested that she isn't affected by Diana's magic when she broke out of the lasso and it couldn't control her.

GL, Flash and Batman, Vic and Cyborg all made sense to me. She sucker punched Billy, Wonder Woman could easily take out Cyborg, her axe seems poisoned(hence why she only needed to cut Barry and Bruce slightly) and GLs can have their will turned against them--it happened to Guy.

The haircut is silly though, I agree.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife said:
    @saren said:
    @superguy1591 said:
    @saren said:

Couple of things:

Wait for it...

Coincedence? I think so.

Just wondering which bracelets did she break? The Fabok bracelets or the normal?

What's the difference?

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grail shattering Diana's bracelets felt like some high-tier BS.

Regardless, it was an entertaining read.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591:

Fabok just have a metal plate as part of her bracelets who are stuck to leather and the normal are well the normal. I mean we haven't got any reason behind the new bracelets have we? And it's just in the Justice league so maybe they aren't as durable as the normal. Anyway it sounds idiotic to have something brake them.

Avatar image for cheeseontatooine
    CheeseOnTatooine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't get me wrong, Geoff johns is a great writer, but this book needs a fresh one. It's just become too predictable. I don't want to buy this comic, but I feel obligated to because Faboks art is FANTASTIC.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:
    @superguy1591 said:
    @saren said:

Couple of things:

Wait for it...

Coincedence? I think so.

Diana just deflected a shot from Darkseid, Grail used a continuous beam.

Deathpool10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Getting this tomorrow, so excited

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Lvenger

So, from the sounds of it, if Grail is soloing the Justice League in this issue, how are they going to deal with Darkseid and The Anti Monitor going a few rounds if they can't even handle one slightly amped up Amazon?

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THIS WAS SO EPIC!!! Hopefully this wont go down hill like forever evil

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator

People keep hating on that haircut, I actually like it. My girl Natalie Dormer sported it for a while.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Just picked it up, looking forward to the read. Was it oversized seem pretty big.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife said:
    @saren said:
    @superguy1591 said:
    @saren said:

Couple of things:

Wait for it...

Coincedence? I think so.

What's the difference?

There isn't a difference. Artists have portrayed the bracelets inconsistently for ages. Simple silver bands aren't good enough so they give them carved designs or create elaborate wristguards.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:
    @superguy1591 said:
    @sealife said:
    @saren said:
    @superguy1591 said:
    @saren said:

Couple of things:

Wait for it...

Coincedence? I think so.

What's the difference?

There isn't a difference. Artists have portrayed the bracelets inconsistently for ages. Simple silver bands aren't good enough so they give them carved designs or create elaborate wristguards.

maybe this explains her new costume,but how the hell do you come out someones mouth without killing them?

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By tensor

I thought this comic would have been a build up but I was wrong.

I have to say this is how you start a story arc.

Loved it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Still, I hope The Darkseid War lives up to the hype, I'm beginning to run out of DC comics I want to read.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justice_teen said:

THIS WAS SO EPIC!!! Hopefully this wont go down hill like forever evil

I disagree completely, I felt the best part of Forever Evil was those last 2 issues (although that first issue was really good too)

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By VickBat

Green Knight..will have to wait for this.

This chapter has made me feel like a fool ... Lena contract mercenaries to kill his brother, even she has said after shooting. Lex Luthor guess you would spend some of their money and She use it against him. I thought that Neutron confess and lex thing to catch by surprise ..

What a brutal ambush but did Grail ..Amazon created to settle Darkseid?

At the end he was not the father of Fury (earth 2) he was a murderer Darkseid the Kanto.. Jessica and Flash should be boyfriends, He has been much with it. The baby was born and Ultraman takes depressed months ..

The first monster(the antimonitor) is finally in the earth.

Worth 5 stars this chapter.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dondave

@earthsmightiest said:

Just picked it up, looking forward to the read. Was it oversized seem pretty big.

Yeah it was 40 pages. Issues are normally between 20-25 pages long.

deathcamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grail coming out of Flash's mouth lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't excited for this but after reading the comments I have high expectations

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This is a great issue.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: i agree forever evil ended on a highnote. But the first issue was the best . The Crime Syndicate was literally running through everyone , and nobody knew what was happening

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only issue I had was when lex got shot. I thought that was incredibly odd considering the same suit took hits from Ultraman.

Russcovito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Russcovito

Litteraly the best issue I've read in... wow

Each, and I do mean each page is a pleasure, I don't remember spending so much time on every page of an issue. No other words than epic or drawn-awesomeness to describe this little baby.

Unless it wasn't clear with the review or the other comments. This is a must have. Talking about the review it's a Five Star also ! Couldn't expect less from G-Man.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40  Edited By GustavoBurciaga1

Honestly it was jumping around too much for my liking. So much was happening at once it was difficult to keep track. This is probably why I enjoy solo titles more than group titles. Still I'll keep up with Darkseid War till it ends.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow Grail took out the league with such ease RESPECT. I love how darkseid is much more intimidating in the new 52. Well Morbis is here let us pray for all the people we know shall die now. Wow i so say lena's betrayal coming though.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vickbat: Might not want to spoil stuff for people

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: The entire league wasn't there. One member was missing.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: slightly amped up? She's Darksieds daughter not to mention she has some form of omega beams.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

awesomee

~MiB

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good but that Flash thing and Supes waiting to be BFR'd was kind of hilarious.

Lol

No Caption Provided

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Superguy1591

@jayc1324: Do you want to get Lex'ed in the face? Two members were missing.

@theocitylegend: Well, Lex saw Deathbattle and got his Iron-Man on. It's not a given that this suit is the same as Forever Evil. This could just be a hazmat suit he wore. Now we wait for The Green Knight suit to showcase. =D

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone hating on this issue... I have a box of Kleenex here for you. The shit right here was down right amazing.

mrBlonde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mrBlonde

This issue was running so well until Nick Lachey showed up and tried to seductively sell me snickers or whatever

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this, great start for the story and the art is phenomenal. Only complaint, like it seems with most everyone, Flash horking out Grail, wtf.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.