inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Captain Cold continues to adjust to being a "good guy," even though some of the Rogues don't understand it. Superman and Lex Luthor take on Gorilla Grodd. Flash works with Jessica to figure out how to use the Power Ring without having it affect her.

This issue is a bit of a roller coaster, jumping between "so-so" stories and some really interesting elements. Two parts of this book really stood out to me. Flash working with Jessica and learning to control the Power Ring. I'm not the biggest fan of power ring (the power/ring. I'm not talking about Jessica), but I really love the development writer Geoff Johns is taking with this character here. It shows a lot of promise and this is going to be a fun journey.

The other scene that really stands out is the dialogue between Captain Cold and Mirror Master. I'm a HUGE fan of the Rogues, so I'll take what I can get. Mirror Master wants to know why Lenoard is working for Lex Luthor. Leonard reassures him it's for the greater good, and by greater good, I mean it's for the Rogues, eventually. If JUSTICE LEAGUE adds more of the Rogues to each of the issues, I will become a loyal reader.

I do like the relationship building between Wonder Woman and Lex. He needs someone to trust him on the inside, since Superman never will, and his side-missions with Diana help establish him as a member of JLA to the rest of the team and the rest of the world.

The Bad

While I am a huge fan of Scott Kolins, there were quite a few moments I did not like his work on this book. There's always been a certain edge to his style which gets lost in this issue. In the past, he's done some amazing work with Solomon Grundy and The Rogues. However, that "Kolins style" that I fell in love with years ago feels lost. His art looks great for the Flash and Captain Cold, but the rest felt jarring.

I'm really unsure about this ending. It's this whole idea of alluding the reader that Lex is still a bad guy, but for some reason, I'm not entirely buying it, even though he's living it up with Owlman. It seems way to "duh." I'm really hoping there's a bit more to this than what is presented.

The Verdict

There's a lot of great things happening in JUSTICE LEAGUE #34, but there's also a lot of just "so-so" moments. For me, the issue breaks the 4-star barrier, but not by much. The scenes with Power Ring and Flash were awesome, as well as anything involving the Rogues. The art is both hit and miss for me, as a fan of Scott Kolins work. He's at the top of his game here, but I feel he lost a bit of what attracted me to him, as an artist, in the first place. Overall, it was a solid issue and sets up the rest of the story pretty dang well.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I heard he actually wrote Wonder Woman good in this issue?!

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its been just meh for the last 3 or 4 issues

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best thing John's done in this series is the Shazam/Cyborg Bromance.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Love Lex Luthor so far. Also DC really push Lex Luthor - Bruce Wayne partnership. Check out Green Arrow #35 if you want to know what I mean

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@sealife: not just Wonder Woman but the way he write Bruce Wayne/Batman is better than JL Vol 1 new 52 Origin. Surprise right ? I wonder thus Geoff Johns ask help from other writers on how to be better

deathmedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art on this was very rough. I was kinda shocked at it in a premiere title like this.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathmedal: yup agree. The art is meh. The sooner Jason Fabok take over art duty, the better in my opinion

hugebone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really hope the ending is just some kind of wink. I want Lex to stay as good guy and even evolve and get better and better. That would be awesome!

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: It really threw me off that in GA 35 Lex and Bruce were so pushy to get Oliver to join their partnership but in here they didn't even really want to do it ( I read GA first.)

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That first page was such a nostalgia trip.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like Superman said in Justice League unlimited "C'mon, it's Lex Flipping Luthor"

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The art on this was very rough. I was kinda shocked at it in a premiere title like this.

agree.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek:

Good to know. I am a little behind, looking forward to read characters with good characterisations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this one was just ok

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was ok i really hope owlman doesn't think superwoman's kid is still his.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This comic was just Ok, it wasn't good, nor bad. I really thought that it was deathstroke at the end that was going to get hired because he was in the secret society in pre-52. Overall, I don't see owlman as a mercenary. He doesn't fit as one, I can understand why he joined the secret society, but I just got a little suprised, because I actually thought Lex became good.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Like Superman said in Justice League unlimited "C'mon, it's Lex Flipping Luthor"

Win.

Gmac555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

didn't someone else want superwoman's child a couple issues ago as well? Like Volthoom or anti-monitor? I can't quite remember.

joaoanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice story but the art it's just.... I mean, it's not bad, but not good enough for the main dc title. And about Luthor, come on, he is the Superman archenemy. Lex is never going to be one of the good guys, not in the main Earth, and i'm ok with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Eh, not a fan of Scott Kolins' artwork, just not my style.

EzraCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since forever evil this has been great. Lex rules and the return of owl man is so fn awesome

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I am looking forward to picking this up. I am really, really hoping Power Ring and the Flash will start up a good friendship. Barry hasn't Hal for the majority of the Justice League series.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

They need to get rid of that has been Johns,this book has been meandering for months. It's clear this hack cant write anything other than events.

What exactly has happened in the last 6 months of this books publication history? ABSOLUTELY FRICKING NOTHING.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The team really needs to stop adding members it feels like we barley know how the original 7 function as group. Members leave new ones joins massive event etc.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@entropy_aegis: sometimes it is better to do character development. This is character development, so no need to rush

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelord: I don't get what you try to explain about " we barley know how the original 7 function as group " ? Can you clarify it a bit details ?

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gmac555:

I think it was Volthoom/the Power Ring who wanted the super-baby.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All week I was excited and even consider to buy the issue...I thought Jason Fabok will be doing the outline too aside the cover but my GOD.Is DC freaking main title?!Justice League..hope he's not doing the next issue =.=

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Eh did Superman just say they lit Batman in the Justice League out of some form of charity?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowlife248: yup agree. The art is meh. The sooner Jason Fabok take over art duty, the better in my opinion. I heard that in issue 36 Jason Fabok will take over as main artist

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So did everyone else in the League just forget that Firestorm was a member?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kilowog52: They already in past previous mention that Firestorm is no where to be found

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: Exactly.Scott's art isn't suitable for Justice League.True true but I thought this cover is for issue 36?I remember earlier solicitations that Power Ring was on the cover done by Doug Mahke?

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: I thought that was Vibe, Element Woman, and Hawkman. While out of those three, Vibe is the only one who is still missing.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BTW, Power Ring is kinda cool addition to the team and I'm looking forward to her development in the Justice League but I hope Geoff Johns isn't using her as Hal's REPLACEMENT in regards to a missing green lantern member in the team D:

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman be like: Yeah you're right Batman is kind of useless.

Batman be like: I'm going to announce my plan so the readers knows it wont work.

WW be like: Luthor don't be a d$$ck it's not rocket science.

Flash be like: I'm finally doing something! Yay!

Captain Cold be like: Listen I like to steal so I'm going to steal.

Cyborg and Shazam be like: We should be friends and try to be funny!

Lex Luthor be like: Owlman you will take part in my clearly superior plans, because even alternate Batman's must bow down to my whims.

Ok issue, torn about the content but at least it felt like a Justice League issue for the first time and not a Lex Luthor showcase.

Nice review :)

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have NO idea what people are complaining about. This book has been one of the best around from the beginning. To people that say nothing has been happening, then explain how the following events have all happened within the last few issues: Lex discovers Batman's secret identity (I'm still not liking how that went down), Lex has been allowed to join the JL, Power Ring has been added to the JL (who knows if this is permanent), we've seen the formation/introduction of the Doom Patrol, and now the re-emergence of Owlman. Clearly some people are only happy if they are complaining. Another 5 star issue if you ask me. Guess if some major war doesn't break out in every issue, some folks will just never be happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.