Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Minor spoilers ahead.

The Good

The epic final battle between Shazam and Black Adam happens here, and it's a whole issue, not just a back-up! Can Shazam, and friends, take down the centuries old Black Adam?

It's a breath of fresh air to see this story fill up a whole issue. I've been wanting to see a whole Shazam issue for quite some time now, and I was not disappointed. This is a character I really think would work well in his own on-going series. This whole issue contains one, large, epic fight scene not only between Billy and Black Adam, but Billy's friends also get involved. The action is satisfying, and you'll find yourself really cheering on Billy as he fights Black Adam and learns how to manage his new-found powers. We learn a bit more about what his magic can do here, and I, for one, finally feel on the same page as everyone else when it comes to Shazam knowledge.

Here comes the spoilerish part.

This issue is really the birth of the whole Marvel Family... or Shazam Family. I found myself loving Mary "Marvel," as a character. She's headstrong, tough, and willing to go right into battle. I love her costume design which is incredibly close to her Pre-52 design. There's a little flair here and there, but her costume makes me feel at home because it's so familiar.

Back to the non-spoilers... Gary Frank kills it on this book. There were numerous times where I was at a loss for words and I just drooled over the pages. While there are numerous splash pages that are outstanding, by far, my favorite panel is Shazam and the Marvel family all attacking Black Adam at the same time. There's a lot going on here, but Frank's art is clear and crisp, and I love the way the negative space has electrical bolts flying out of the action. A bit later we are treated to another fantastic scene of Shazam and Black Adam, in mid air, about to exchange punches. While there may be a bit over-usage of splash pages here, they all look so beautiful and they all convey such emotion and story, just within a singular panel. In addition, Brad Anderson does a great job on color. It's subtle and fits with Frank's art well. We can't leave out the colorist. They can make or break the art sometimes.

The Bad

I'm not too keen on this story taking over the whole JUSTICE LEAGUE book. This is something that should stand out on its own; however, there's no real place for it. This is something I'd recommend in trade, as a whole. The Shazam story is solid and this makes for a much better read in a collection.

I'm not incredibly keen with how Black Adam is handled at the very end. I'll try to remain spoiler free. I like the dialogue between Black Adam and Billy, but Adam's defeat was a bit of a bummer. It was a tad flat for me.

The Verdict

I want Billy, and friends, to have their own on-going series... as long as Johns is writing it and Frank is drawing it. While this isn't a JUSTICE LEAGUE issue, per se, and I wasn't too pleased with how Black Adam was handled at the end of the issue, everything else about this issue was an A+. Gary Frank really does something special here with his art. Even if you haven't been reading JUSTICE LEAGUE, at all, I'd still say go pick this one up. Sure, you'd be a bit confused with what's going on, but you'll have a good understanding of the story and its characters by the end of the issue.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

this was such a disappointment. litteraly everything in this issue is a rip-off of previous captain marvel stories.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dondave

This issue was Amazing

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

I've been keeping up with this on Scans Daily as I am still a major fan of the Marvel Family and their corner of the DC universe and have stuck with them through all the crap DC has put them through. Given how much DC has dumped on them in the past, that takes a TRUE fan to put up with all that. So despite my misgivings on Billy Batson's personality, which have become less and less as this story has gone on I must admit, I find the ending of this issue to be incredibly awesome!!!!

I hope DC doesn't screw it up, but given how they've treated the Shazam titles over the years, yeah I'm not holding my breath for that.

Also on a somewhat unrelated note, I SO wish Freddy still had the Elvis hair!!!! I mean that was Freddy's thing! He had become a tribute to Elvis thus causing things to come full circle as Elvis paid tribute to Captain Marvel Jr with his stage costumes and even his hair style was modeled after CMJr's!!!!!!!

No Caption Provided

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By JLDoom

I really, really liked this issue, it was a great ending to an already great story.

BTW am I the only one who thought this whole story felt like a possible Captain Marvel/Shazam movie? Even Black Adam dying fits the classic trope of supervillains dying in comic book movies.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

this was such a disappointment. litteraly everything in this issue is a rip-off of previous captain marvel stories.

@dondave said:

This issue was Amazing

LOL

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6 k4tzm4n  Moderator

A whole issue of Black Adam and Shazam duking it out! It's the conclusion to the Shazam back ups.

Do I smell an issue made for 'Best Battles?'

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#7 inferiorego  Staff

@k4tzm4n said:

A whole issue of Black Adam and Shazam duking it out! It's the conclusion to the Shazam back ups.

yes

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#8  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I have been loving the backstories. This is gonna be great! I am 100% this will make the Battles of the week article!

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No more Black Adam??

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read it yet, I just came here to say that the Shazam reboot has been the best stuff of the entire New 52! (alongside with Batman)

So HELL YEAH! for an entire issue of Shazam!

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished reading this and I loved the hell out of it its nice to see the whole Shazam Family fighting together.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

So the Justice League wasn't in this story at all?

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're kidding right? The Shazam backups are so much better than the regular Justice League story. I would have quit buying around issue 6 if they weren't included.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller said:

So the Justice League wasn't in this story at all?

Well, JL 0 didn't feature the Justice League either...

Personally I'm glad they went this route because this was a fantastic finale that definitely deserved a whole issue to be told.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#15 Icarusflies  Moderator

@sandman_ said:

No more Black Adam??

It's weird because Black Adam does appear on some Trinity War covers if I'm not mistaken.

Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best issue of Justice League. No doubt.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By SoA

i felt like the ending with black adam could have been better . or a bit more original. i did like the shazam family bit . i just hope they get better aliases/codenames . also the ending was great showing two more capt marvel (shazam) classic villains

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

Do it!, Missed out on 3 Thors vs Gorr last week too!

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WTF?????

Weren't they giving Black Adam a villains month issue??

So WTF was this???

Crazy_Wilhelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_ said:

No more Black Adam??

It's weird because Black Adam does appear on some Trinity War covers if I'm not mistaken.

I reckon the character in question will undoubtedly return somehow. It's magic.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

great issue! We should have a Shazam series!!

also, it was nice to see Billy developing into the Billy we all know and love

DadaHyena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's next? The Ultimate Showdown with Mr. Banjo!

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icarusflies said:

@sandman_ said:

No more Black Adam??

I reckon the character in question will undoubtedly return somehow. It's magic.

If I remember right I believe he's even being featured for villains month. Not sure which Justice League title he's a part of.

I thought the issue was fantastic. I think having Billy not punch Black Adam into defeat was a great way to have him win.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By noj

@lolzstastic: Black Adam has a villains month issue in Justice League 7.4. Im guessing in the issue we will more than likely see either an expanded origin or how exactly he survived the events of this issue. Good thing we wont have to wait too long to see more of Black Adam!

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League not in sight, and this issue -- with an all Shazam story -- is probably one of the best issues to date. Just awesome! The battles are epic and Johns is doing everything right in terms of capturing the beloved Shazam legacy. And wow... Gary Frank's art is top notch here. If there ever is going to be a new ongoing Shazam series I hope Frank is on it.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was all I could think about when that scene with the Giant Monster appears in... this looks like a job for the Power Rangers Shazam

ovidkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what portions of the SHAZAM powers did Mary and Freddy get because Predo got the strength of Hercules Darla speed of Mercury Eugene the wisdom of Solomon

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it.. Wasn't crazy about how Billy beat Black Adam, I kinda think Adam should have seen that coming or something.. but yeah it was good.

Avatar image for blue_lantern_franko
    Blue_Lantern_Franko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who has not cared for this back up story?... :/ first JL issue I have not picked up since the relaunch.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good issue... but i am confused about why his powers struggled failing when he put the spell on Yawny

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I really liked the Shazam backups in the book before I dropped it in favor of buying trade. I think they announced that they'd be collecting these into a Shazam trade as well, so I'm definitely going to have to pick it up.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

@g_man@inferioregoAnyone know if these SHAZAM backup stories will be all put into one collective book?

Manute117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huge fan and very biassed on Shazam. Looking forward to own book .

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_stegman  Moderator

good issue... but i am confused about why his powers struggled failing when he put the spell on Yawny

Well Black Adam said he used it incorrectly, my guess is he strained his power. The case used to be, whenever someone in the Marvel family used their powers the others would get weaker as the power is spread to the new user.

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the issue but the ending was eerily similar to the "Return of Black Adam" short film released a couple years back.

This won't really be the end for the character since he was featured in the FCBD edition from last year in that big splash fighting... plus in the Trinity War images and a "Forever Evil" issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

Really enjoyed this issue and Geoff Johns wrote the conclusion for Shazam! The art done was really impressive too and I loved looking at the new Shazam look-a-likes. If had I were to rate this one I'll give it 4.5 stars.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.