Would You Prefer Individual Movies?

#1 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel set up a pretty solid formula for introducing characters and getting us invested in their stories (and y'know...cashing in) before they gave us Avengers. Do you think that DC should be following the same formula?

#2 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall: No, DC should not follow the same formula or tone because they need to differentiate themselves so that they don't come across as a cheap, desperate knock off.

DC should have a Justice League film with the tone of Man of Steel. It should have 5 characters who go on to have their own solo films. The Justice League film is supposed to advertise these characters for future solo films instead of being an event movie like Marvel. It will mean more people will see films like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. Plus Marvel only had two solo films that helped the Avengers (Iron Man and Thor). Incredible Hulk and Captain America were mediocre and did nothing. Iron Man 2 sucked. And no one even cared about solo films by the time Thor and Cap came out. People just wanted to see Avengers.

By putting the solo films first, Marvel built anticipation for the team. By putting the team film first, DC will build anticipation for the individuals, which is important because DC characters are more interesting on their own.

By having Justice League first, you can advertise less well known or popular characters, and you can world build for characters that don't show up in the first film like Shazam.

Cyborg can be the Nick Fury recruitment character because of the Grid, so you don't need to constantly explain how new characters join the team.

DC doesn't need to do what Marvel did, and they shouldn't.

P.S. I think this thread has been done before.

#3 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

DC should take big risks like Marvel did, but they shouldn't copy Marvel's formula or else they would look like copy cats. And making a bunch of solo films that could be bad is just as risky as starting with Justice League.

I would start with Justice League starring Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg. Then make all those characters as well as Flash and Aquaman have solo films. Have CYborg cameo in all of them to recruit new members. The Justice League 2. Then keep making films for the 4 most successful characters as well as Shazam, Hawkman, and Zatanna. Then another Justice League film. Then 4 more solo films for the most successful characters and 2-3 films for new characters. Wash, Rinse, and Repeat.

#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm ok with the idea of them beginning with one big JLA film, and then branching into solos. The DC characters are iconic enough to not have the need for a 2 hour origin movie, so they could pretty easily be all introduced in one film.

#5 Posted by SUNMAN (7251 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as the movie is good, entertaining and high quality it doesn't matter to me. DC by no means has to follow marvels blue prints. Also for all the internet hype marvel gets all of their solo films werent that great.

Ironman 1- great

Ironman 2- meh... I liked the special effects but I found it underwhelming in a lot of areas

Captain America- this was okay. I'd say it was better than I thought but I had low expectations for it to begin with

Thor- just bad. despite some great acting performances the plot was weak it was just a set up movie for Avengers.

Incredible Hulk- I actually enjoyed this movie.......only major downside is the trailers gave away the whole story and some of the best scenes. Overall the plot was fairly straight forward.

So for myself, I'm not as interested in seeing future sequels to these solos. I'll probably see Captain America 2 though just because of Nick Fury, Black Widow and Falcon. I think Marvels got a good thing going but it needs to continue releasing new diverse properties. A Black Panther movie or a strong super-heroine movie would really help corner the market for marvel. Sure if you dig deep all heroes are unique on some level but on the surface the solo movie archetypes we have right now between marvel and DC aren't that diverse (in terms of powers/capabilities).

#6 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Warner has the right strategy in using Batman and superman to promote Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman. Marvel did the same thing using Avengers to promote Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye.

#7 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Ellie_Knightfall: No, DC should not follow the same formula or tone because they need to differentiate themselves so that they don't come across as a cheap, desperate knock off.

DC should have a Justice League film with the tone of Man of Steel. It should have 5 characters who go on to have their own solo films. The Justice League film is supposed to advertise these characters for future solo films instead of being an event movie like Marvel. It will mean more people will see films like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. Plus Marvel only had two solo films that helped the Avengers (Iron Man and Thor). Incredible Hulk and Captain America were mediocre and did nothing. Iron Man 2 sucked. And no one even cared about solo films by the time Thor and Cap came out. People just wanted to see Avengers.

By putting the solo films first, Marvel built anticipation for the team. By putting the team film first, DC will build anticipation for the individuals, which is important because DC characters are more interesting on their own.

By having Justice League first, you can advertise less well known or popular characters, and you can world build for characters that don't show up in the first film like Shazam.

Cyborg can be the Nick Fury recruitment character because of the Grid, so you don't need to constantly explain how new characters join the team.

DC doesn't need to do what Marvel did, and they shouldn't.

P.S. I think this thread has been done before.

i agree with everything.

#8 Posted by TheCannon (19008 posts) - - Show Bio

It really depends on the character. I'll just go over the roster to give yes or no.

• Superman - It looks like it'll be tying into Man of Steel, so he's getting one.
  • Batman - No. I'd like it if he wasn't in a JL movie, but since that won't happen, no tie in. We've seen his origin twice, we know the story. We don't want to see it again.
  • Wonder Woman - Yes, she needs one. A lot of people who don't follow comics know who she is, though know little about her. It will also help take less time in the movie, giving us more of a plot.
  • Green Lantern - It depends on which GL they use. If they use Hal, then I say it should tie into Green Lantern. If they use John Stewart, no, he doesn't need one. As much as I love Kyle Rayner, he shouldn't be on the League in a JL movie. Same as Guy, except for me not loving him.
  • The Flash - This one could waver. I could see introducing Flash in a JL movie, then a spin-off. But I could also see doing a Flash movie before JL to help build anticipation. I could see doing either, and either way I'd be fine.
  • Aquaman - As awesome as he is, no. He doesn't have a good image with people who don't follow comics, so as of right now, I don't think he could hold his own movie no matter how good it is. I think they should introduce him in the JL movie to make people who don't follow comics respect him, then give him an origin film.
  • Martian Manhunter - No. I love him, but no. He's really like Nick Fury, he's an extremely important character for the film, but shouldn't have his own lead-in movie. Maybe a cameo in GL or Superman, and that's it. His origin should be worked in to the JL film. Even after the movie, I don't think he could have one. Sorry MM.

And that's it. No one else should be in it, and this is the only acceptable roster. They could throw in someone like Lois Lane in a similar role to Pepper Potts, but that's it.

#9 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Solo movies of Wonder Woman, flash, Green Arrow, and Hawkman have been floating in limbo for too many years so hopefully, the Justice League movie will make some money to justify continuing with some solo movies.

#10 Posted by Ulterior (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry but is it possible for people to STOP making these similar threads? It's annoying, I swear I've been through like, 10 threads in this forum that have to do with "DC making individual movies" ever since they announced plans for JL film back in June :P

#11 Posted by sinestro_GL (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, I think DC should do JLA film series...

Film 1: Origins and meetings. At the end of the film, they meet a worldwide threat, and try to take them down individually, but realise they can't, and so team up to stop the villain. This serves as a cliff hanger to the next film.

Film 2: A big battle film taking down the villain as a team, with the traditional struggles of the team and conflict.

Film 3: Maybe conflict within the team, set a few years in the future. Leads to a movie where there's a divide in the team, but then they reunite to take down another villain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.