Would people relate more to Kyle Rayner or John Steward as GL

• 56 results
#1 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Who do you guys think?

Kyle Rayner, the artist that is passionate, emotional, charming and have girl troubles from dead girlfriend to soranik natu and jade.

Or john stewart the architect that is serious and stern that lost his wife twice and loves killing stuff.

Who do you guys think will resonate better with the general audience as a candidate for green lantern in the movie.

Who is more likeable and relatable?

Dial in your votes.

#2 Posted by TheCannon (18276 posts) - - Show Bio

I like John, but I think Kyle is much more likeable and relatable.

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I relate to Kyle. He's my favorite GL for a reason

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Kyle
  2. Guy
  3. John
  4. Hal
#5 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Kyle. But Im loving him more as a "bridge" to New Guardians and the other corps, so I don't think they should use him for the movie. John will add diversity to the Comic/Movie universe and maybe help create new fans. Plus he has already had some air time with Justice League: Animated Series

#6 Posted by Lvenger (19101 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle's not movie material IMO. He's a brilliant character but his story begins after Hal's ends. John would provide diversity to the JL lineup, both in terms of race and personality.

#7 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

1. Kyle
  2. Guy
  3. John
  4. Hal

I would say this as well.

#8 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5348 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 What's the reason?

I like Kyle a lot too but I recently became a Jon fan in the last few years, I like his personality better.
#9 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

Belongs in Green Lantern forum. Also biased OP.

#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12869 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Yup, that op isn't biased in any way. Anywhoo it's relative. Kyle is much more relatable to younger audiences whereas John is much more relatable to adults. I think John would resonate more with modern audiences while Kyle is more like able.

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon: He's around my age, he's Hispanic (even if he's a halfsie), he digs comic books and anime, and he's the only GL that I would have no problem reading again and again.

If we're limiting this to human GL's only, my order would be:

1. Kyle
  2. Hal (far second)
  3. John
  4. Guy

Kyle is my go to GL for the reasons above. Hal is second because I'm a big fan of the Johns stuff (excluding the way Hal acts in JL). John would rank much higher than Hal, but this character has been written very inconsistently, IMO. If he were written like he was in Justice League (Timm) full time, he'd be my close second. And Guy... I can't relate or sympathize or even like the character at all.

PS. I also don't consider Alan Scott to be a GL in the way that these characters are.

#12 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

To a a lot of people who grew up watching JL and JLU, myself included, John is easier to relate.

#13 Posted by Dernman (14898 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Kyle
  2. Hal
  3. Guy & John
#14 Posted by SmashBrawler (5601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

He's around my age, he's Hispanic (even if he's a halfsie), he digs comic books and anime, and he's the only GL that I would have no problem reading again and again.

1. Kyle
  2. Hal (far second)
  3. John
  4. Guy

Kyle is my go to GL for the reasons above. Hal is second because I'm a big fan of the Johns stuff (excluding the way Hal acts in JL). John would rank much higher than Hal, but this character has been written very inconsistently, IMO. If he were written like he was in Justice League (Timm) full time, he'd be my close second. And Guy... I can't relate or sympathize or even like the character at all.

PS. I also don't consider Alan Scott to be a GL in the way that these characters are.

Wow, those are almost my exact thoughts. Except actually like Guy, so he's above John in my list.

#15 Posted by SoA (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

i relate to guy more , yes i am a obnoxious anger prone jerk IRL

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: (Maybe this will sound wrong out loud, but I'll ask anyway):

What is there to like about Guy? Is there a good story that I just haven't found yet, because in everything I've seen/read with him in it, he comes across as very unlikable.

#17 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

The OP preference for Kyle is obvious by the way he wrote the thread. Anyway, i think John is a better movie material than Kyle. I wouldnt say he is more relatable, but he has the personality people expect from a superhero on big screen. He's more bankable. That said, i can rely to him because of JL and JLU . He was well written in the animated series. I cant say that for the books.

#18 Posted by SmashBrawler (5601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I thought he was pretty funny as a gigantic jerk in JLI/JLE, especially when he got hit in the head and started to act nicely, or how he tried to get a date with Ice despite being polar opposites. When the GLC came back I liked how Tomasi developed into a flawed yet heroic character. But maybe some characters aren't for everybody.

#19 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

john stewart is my favorite because of the justice league tv show and the only green lantern i knew about at the time. Also hohn would be easier to translate for a justice league movie because he isn't well developed in comics due to being the token black character.

#20 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: Are those examples from the New 52? Admittedly I haven't read anything with him in it since the New 52, and have been thinking about picking up GLC, but I'm still on the fence.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I'v never liked John

#22 Posted by SmashBrawler (5601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Nope, I meant the 80's JLI/JLE. I haven't read the New 52 JLI.

Concerning GLC, the only volume that's worth picking up is the Pre-52 one. The current volume has been pretty dull, and I'd be lying to you if I said it's worth picking up.

#23 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5348 posts) - - Show Bio
@SmashBrawler

@Gambit1024: I thought he was pretty funny as a gigantic jerk in JLI/JLE, especially when he got hit in the head and started to act nicely, or how he tried to get a date with Ice despite being polar opposites. When the GLC came back I liked how Tomasi developed into a flawed yet heroic character. But maybe some characters aren't for everybody.

Lol the old JLA days were hilarious , I'd forgotten about them. Batman KO 'ing Guy was classic too.
#24 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

Concerning GLC, the only volume that's worth picking up is the Pre-52 one. The current volume has been pretty dull, and I'd be lying to you if I said it's worth picking up.

Waitasec. Is that the series where members included Captain Marvel, Ted Kord, and Booster Gold? I might have some of those issues in my attic... Never read 'em though <.<

#25 Edited by SmashBrawler (5601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Waitasec. Is that the series where members included Captain Marvel, Ted Kord, and Booster Gold? I might have some of those issues in my attic... Never read 'em though <.<

Yeah. "Captain Yogurt" was one of the first ones to leave though. You can guess who was the member that caused it.

#26 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Yeah. "Captain Yogurt" was one of the first ones to leave though. You can guess who was the member that caused it.

Lol. I might give that series a chance, since I already have it then. By the pre-52 GLC, do you mean the run with the Sinestro Corps tie-ins?

#27 Edited by SmashBrawler (5601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Lol. I might give that series a chance, since I already have it then. By the pre-52 GLC, do you mean the run with the Sinestro Corps tie-ins?

The whole past volume (Sinestro Corps War, Ring Quest, Sins of the Star Sapphire, Emerald Eclipse, etc.). Much, much better than the current one.

The worst part is that they're both written by Peter Tomasi. I have no idea what the hell happened to him, really.

#28 Edited by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle.

But for a movie, Hal. John just seems too boring to actually be likable and continuity because Kyle's story starts after Hals.

#29 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

John seems more stable and responsible, but Kyle seems more playful and fun.

#30 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

The whole past volume (Sinestro Corps War, Ring Quest, Sins of the Star Sapphire, Emerald Eclipse, etc.). Much, much better than the current one.

The worst part is that they're both written by Peter Tomasi. I have no idea what the hell happened to him, really.

Tomasi didn't write Sinestro Corps War, Gibbons did. Tomasi took over on the last issue of the arc.

Frankly, I think he always sucked. It just took us a while to figure it out. Gibbons kicked ass though.

#31 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Stewart.

#32 Posted by The Stegman (23789 posts) - - Show Bio

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, John Stewart is overrated and wouldn't be nearly as popular if not for the JL show, in the comics he's horribly boring, both Kyle and Hal are more interesting.

#33 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: It's been happening to a lot of creators lately. JRJR, Bendis, Cassaday, even Johns to an extent.

@The Stegman said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, John Stewart is overrated and wouldn't be nearly as popular if not for the JL show, in the comics he's horribly boring, both Kyle and Hal are more interesting.

I gotta say, I pretty much agree with this. The only time Stewart was ever awesome was is in Justice League. Other than that, the character's got nothing going for him. Now, if he were written like that all the time, I'd be a fan, but as of right now, he's just meh.

#34 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork: @TheThe: So what if I'm biased. I prefer Kyle over John. Big deal, I'm not asking anyone to vote for Kyle, people have their own free will. It seems like people are voting for Kyle over John.

#35 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4699 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle, because he's closer to my ethnicity. Neither are movie material.

#36 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

In an unusual move, and although sales of the book were very strong, Green Lantern: Mosaic was cancelled early into its run. In an interview, Cully Hamner revealed the reasons behind the cancellation:

(A)s I was told at the time, it didn’t fit with DC editorial vision (whatever that means). Sales didn’t matter, fan support didn’t matter; the first issue sold about 210,000 copies and my last issue sold about 70,000, so there was plenty of support for the book. It was marked for cancellation when issue #5 came out, and they allowed Gerry Jones a year to wrap it up, but there was no doubt that it was being cancelled because somebody upstairs just didn’t care for it. So, I had a feeling after a while of creatively being against a brick wall, and got out before the end. You pay your money, you takes your chances. That’s the biz.

#37 Posted by BlackWind (6001 posts) - - Show Bio

The OP totally wasn't biased towards Kyle, nope, not at all.

Kyle, for reasons already stated. But iI maintain the belief John is unused potential.

#38 Posted by SUNMAN (7221 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle, John and Guy are all great GLs.

I don't know why DC has made Hal such a clown bungling his way through situations,, but it doesn't make him very likable. I thought it was interesting when DC turned him into a villain, but than they switched him back to being a hero again and it just didn't work despite the yellow fear monster retcon.

#39 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle, Kyle, and Kyle.

#40 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm close to Kyle because he juts a normal kid just like me with one of the most powerful weapon in the universe the Green Lantern ring..

#41 Edited by Billy Batson (57915 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024:

You should read the Giffen/Dematteis JL run. It's regarded as one of the best if not the best Justice League runs of all time.

BB

#42 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Superdork: @TheThe: So what if I'm biased. I prefer Kyle over John. Big deal, I'm not asking anyone to vote for Kyle, people have their own free will. It seems like people are voting for Kyle over John.

Your question could have been asked in a neutral way. Unstead, you choose to use nice adjectives for Kyle and "interesting" terms to describe John. But Whatever. It's not like i really care, i just pointed it because it was obvious and can influence people.

#43 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheThe said:

@sethysquare said:

Your question could have been asked in a neutral way. Unstead, you choose to use nice adjectives for Kyle and "interesting" terms to describe John. But Whatever. It's not like i really care, i just pointed it because it was obvious and can influence people.

Not really. It is true that Kyle is passionate, emotional and charming. He had lots of high profile relationships and is an artist, plus he would what I consider a sensitive new age guy.

John on the other hand, like you pointed out, lost his wife twice.has a very serious and stern character which has been characterised in the comics for years and even JLU portrayed John as being serious and stern. He also had lots of high profile murders which kinda just happened recently. Besides, people love the punisher, wolverins and all those anti heroes nowadays so I dont see that as a negative light.

#44 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why people want to "relate" to characters in comics, books, or movies. I thought the reason people read/watch those is to get a short escape from life. If you relate to the character wouldn't that just remind you of your life and defeat the escape that those mediums provide?

#45 Posted by TDK_1997 (14651 posts) - - Show Bio

I would relate more on Kyle.

#46 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime` said:

I don't understand why people want to "relate" to characters in comics, books, or movies. I thought the reason people read/watch those is to get a short escape from life. If you relate to the character wouldn't that just remind you of your life and defeat the escape that those mediums provide?

It makes the escape easier/more believable. People can see themselves in the escape. It's why we have the every-man archetype.

#47 Posted by Joygirl (19295 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle Rayner is, so far, the only human Lantern I really like, including Jack Moore.

#48 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@WaveMotionCannon: He's around my age, he's Hispanic (even if he's a halfsie), he digs comic books and anime, and he's the only GL that I would have no problem reading again and again.

1. Kyle
  2. Hal (far second)
  3. John
  4. Guy

That seems about right to me. Well, at least IMO. If we were including Alan, I'd probably sandwich him in between either Hal and John or John and Guy.

#49 Posted by Teerack (5741 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering most people aren't over serious ex-soldiers that keep having to kill their friends. I'm going to say Kyle by a long shot.

#50 Posted by SUNMAN (7221 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Kyle

2. John

3. Guy

4. Alan

5. Killowog

6. Sinestro

7. Abin Sur

8. Hal

9. Bodicka

10. The bird like one

11. the rest

that about sums it up

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.