Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3313 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Will JLA be rushed and released in 2015 to compete with Avengers?

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tyrus

By the looks of it - since Will Beall has penned MOST of the script and WB is already looking for a director... Then it looks like the film is coming along quite fast. It was predicted that the movie would have a 2014 release, but it's unlikely if it's (almost) been confirmed a Batman reboot will lead into Justice League, which would likely be a 2015 release as well - SO, the real question is are Warner Bros gonna rule over Avengers in 2015? In my opinion, NO, because if the studio rushes the film and it flunks then they're screwed and Avengers will helm #1 at the highest grossing films of all time - UNLESS Warner Bros can pull if off - I think Justice League would beat Avengers 2 in terms of Box Office (obviously because Superman and Bats), but I'm not too sure on reviews (YES - I'm talking to you Roger Ebert).

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

I've heard this idea before, so I'm gonna repeat it here: DC should do what Marvel did, but backwards. JL movie, then individual movies.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

@InnerVenom123 said:

I've heard this idea before, so I'm gonna repeat it here: DC should do what Marvel did, but backwards. JL movie, then individual movies.

I like that Idea.

The_Soverighn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By The_Soverighn

@InnerVenom123 said:

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tyrus

@The_Soverighn: @Omega Ray Jay: @InnerVenom123: Guys - it's smart and creative to do it that way, but no - because if they do solo movies AFTER and want to tell a full origin story then they'd have to basically make the solo movies prequels - OR, if they wanna quickly tell they're origin stories in the ensemble movie be my guest - but it'd be a mistake. Maybe characters like Batman and Superman won't need it but Wonder Woman and Flash would need it... The JLA movie won't have enough time to explain their backstories - even if they do Watchmen-styled flashbacks it still wouldn't work because the JLA members are SEPERATE characters unlike the Watchmen where they are pretty much a family.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

@Tyrus: Having other characters solo outings after the JL movie being prequels could further DC's edge, if handled properly it could really work.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tyrus

@Omega Ray Jay: But what about the sequels? How can you continue a story from a prequel, if the first film takes place BEFORE the ensemble? What if someone doesn't watch a certain characters films in chronological order and become confused?

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JohnnyGat

@Tyrus said:

@The_Soverighn: @Omega Ray Jay: @InnerVenom123: Guys - it's smart and creative to do it that way, but no - because if they do solo movies AFTER and want to tell a full origin story then they'd have to basically make the solo movies prequels - OR, if they wanna quickly tell they're origin stories in the ensemble movie be my guest - but it'd be a mistake. Maybe characters like Batman and Superman won't need it but Wonder Woman and Flash would need it... The JLA movie won't have enough time to explain their backstories - even if they do Watchmen-styled flashbacks it still wouldn't work because the JLA members are SEPERATE characters unlike the Watchmen where they are pretty much a family.

Actually it still could work if they can write the characters with enough mystery with each. Have the characters be secretive and the allure of mystery is solidified I mean the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie managed to use an ensemble cast of literary figures without even needing flashbacks. Understandable that these literary characters have more history as a mainstream medium but just like comic characters a vast majority barely know the history of the characters in LXG, the same could go if the JL movie were to take that route. All they'll have to do is make a slight mention on who they are make them do badass stuff and theoretically people will be asking "this guy did some pretty sick stuff I wonder what he's about". Unless we see it done and its results I believe both arguments have enough of a point to warrant an argument. The idea of this with the JL should they do it that way is banking on creating mystery and interest in the characters, it's not gonna sell like Avengers but it will make sure that when the other heroes diverge from the group and do solo movies it would possibly be more successful than when they tried doing Green Lantern.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Chaos Burn

I think the should try the a couple of filmes like Batman reboot and a Superman film, that features other justice league characters heavily, so that they could squeeze them into Justice League

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

@Tyrus: The prequel that follows JLA could lead into it (or at least lean towards it) in story or at the end, then leaving the path clear for future movies.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tyrus

@Omega Ray Jay: I guess... But then again, it'd still be confusing within the solo movie itself-- You know what, forget it, it's too hard to explain.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By JohnnyWalker

if man of steel bombs there will be no justice league movie. theyll just keep making batman movies. so yeah, i doubt theyll ever be able to do a good jla movie. most of their solo attempts were crap. the only success in their track record: superman 1 (rest idiotic), batman 1 (see superman sequels description) and nolan trilogy (and the last one suck in that also). the fact that theyre rushing it this badly and looking at director like ben affleck makes me thing they're rabid for money.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By sethysquare

@Tyrus said:

By the looks of it - since Will Beall has penned MOST of the script and WB is already looking for a director... Then it looks like the film is coming along quite fast. It was predicted that the movie would have a 2014 release, but it's unlikely if it's (almost) been confirmed a Batman reboot will lead into Justice League, which would likely be a 2015 release as well - SO, the real question is are Warner Bros gonna rule over Avengers in 2015? In my opinion, NO, because if the studio rushes the film and it flunks then they're screwed and Avengers will helm #1 at the highest grossing films of all time - UNLESS Warner Bros can pull if off - I think Justice League would beat Avengers 2 in terms of Box Office (obviously because Superman and Bats), but I'm not too sure on reviews (YES - I'm talking to you Roger Ebert).

You sound ridiculous.

Define: "RUSHED"

In 2008 they were planning for a Justice League Mortal movie, but due to workers strike and economy downturn, it was scrapped.

Then the script was being reworked and abandoned altogether.

In 2011, they hired Will Beall to write the script all over again. Its almost completion and they're planning to tie it into Man Of Steel. They're asked Nolans but he declined and now they're searching for another director.

After the director get on board they'll probably start filming and production next year.

Movie was planned to be done ready in 2015 (Who gave you the idea its 14?) So that'll give them 2 years to film the movie, edit and post production.

(FYI MOS started filming last year and ended early this year february. Now its in post production stage. So filming would only be around 1 year or less)

That means it would've took WB 4 years to do a Justice League movie, not including the first attempt on JL and reworked script.

How long WB take? 10 year?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Lvenger

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aren't they doing that? I've heard rumours about that idea.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Captain13

@The_Soverighn said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

@Tyrus: I understand what your saying but I'm just looking at what they can do to distinguish themselves from the Marvel line, that's all I can think of at the moment.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sethysquare

@Tyrus said:

There is no need to do an origins story.

A Justice League movie can be shot first.

A WW and Flash spin off can be done afterwards. WW can do her origin in a non linear way, the same way Batman Begins did Bruce's origin. Show her origin in a flashback and then how what happened in the origins affected their path and link it back to that.

WW - can use a non linear way to have a flashback and show her clay origins for like 15 minutes, then find out about her greek god connections in the film.

Flash - Basically got struck by lightning and doused in chemical. BOOM. Flash. Simple.

We've seen GL, Batman and Superman already.

Its enough. No one needs to f***ing see Batman's origins again.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#18  Edited By BatWatch

DC should not rush the Justice League movie. If they had any sense, they would go slowly and make sure they make a quality film.

That being said, I think we can expect a movie in 2014.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sethysquare

@JohnnyWalker said:

if man of steel bombs there will be no justice league movie. theyll just keep making batman movies. so yeah, i doubt theyll ever be able to do a good jla movie. most of their solo attempts were crap. the only success in their track record: superman 1 (rest idiotic), batman 1 (see superman sequels description) and nolan trilogy (and the last one suck in that also). the fact that theyre rushing it this badly and looking at director like ben affleck makes me thing they're rabid for money.

WB has tons of great superhero films, Superman 1 & 2, Batman 1 & 2, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises and probably Man of Steel.

Not to mention, WB has tons of experience producing fantasy, action, thriller and ensemble films. Yes, there were a few flops, but so what.

You're making it sound like all the other production companies aren't in it for the money. I guess thats why Sony is so eager to work on a Spiderman reboot within like 4 years. Also, yes I'm sure Fox and Disney are only making Superhero movies because they're concern about giving what fan wants and not about the money.

LOL.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CODYSF

@InnerVenom123 said:

BushidoBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BushidoBlack

I really don't think it would be a smart idea for WB to try to compete against The Avengers 2 in 2015. The Avengers 2 will obviously do much better than the first Avengers at the box office. It taking the first or second highest gross title would be a given. No point in trying to force competition when the competition could dethrone Avatar or Titanic.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tyrus: You could think of it like this with the whole "competition' nonsense or you could listen to people from the same planet: introduce characters in a team movie will establish to new blood the specifics, but not too specific (so other directors can expand on the retelling). Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern will probably not be in the Justice League. Superman will have another actor and the concept might change to better suit the team, for starters Krypton's views on interplanetary relations, their established technology (in the Last Days of Krypton, the crystalization was introduced during Zod's coup d'état and ship tech will have been abolished to demonstrate the dangers of disrupting their isolation) and yet another set standard to the Superfamily mythos. Flash might bring continuity from another movie, although it may get the same treatment as Green Lantern. Wonder Woman is a no-go. They'll bring in someone other than Martian Manhunter to bring kids into the current comics, so this means a possible PG-13 rating which will hurt the film's authenticity but not by much. There are too many variables. 
    Like Innervenom said, introduce the characters later so the characters are equally established, liked and maybe even recycled (actors and all). Just because a movie might introduce spin-offs, it doesn't mean they'll be treated like spin-offs. Think of them as origin side stories, and some characters don't even need their origins retoldat all. Some characters won't deserve their own films. Frankly, it doesn't matter. This is a revenge film that will be paid for in Marvel blood.  
    Edit: I forgot about Aquaman yet again. No worries, there won't be an Aquaman film either.
    JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@sethysquare: i said they are doing it NOW because of avengers success and it is true. and yes they are on in it only for the money because they have no other franchise to milk now that batman is over.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sethysquare

@JohnnyWalker: You mean, Spiderman was done because they believed in Superhero movies?

PLEASE.

Batman and Blade were the first 2 successful movies which spawned the superhero era. X-men only ever took off because of Batman and Blade.

Spiderman was done only because they saw the success in Batman and X-men.

Ironman was done because of Spiderman's success.

If Batman, Superman and Blade never had a movie or had a few box office flops, do you think studios would be interested in making superhero movies?

Every studio milks their franchise. Be it gaming studios like Capcom who milk the f*** out of their gaming franchise or Marvel who is releasing 5 Avengers book. Aren't Marvel milking Avengers?

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tyrus

@sethysquare: Pfft - YOU sound ridiculous. You think Flash being struck by lightning and Boom his origin is done? Well mate, no - just no. Take a look at Hulk - in Avengers, one could say that Marvel ignored The Incredible Hulk's tie in with the plot but in a certain way they didn't - just because the Hulk is a new actor it doesn't mean it's a reboot... The Incredible Hulk's 2 hour plot played a crucial role in how people recognized him in the Avengers, so don't bother saying Flash and WW will be easy to pull off in 5 mins - coz they won't. Green Lantern will have to be the same (IF Ryan Reynolds will return, I'm guessing that if Ben Affleck will direct JLA then he'll kick out Reynolds and helm the Green Lantern character himself, lol) - Hopefully Will Beall won't ignore the events of Green Lantern IF that film is supposedly tied with the DC cinematic universe.

EDIT: @sethysquare: BTW, you're right about Iron Man being made because of Spider-Man - but you can pretty much say that Iron Man spawned the NEWER era of superhero movies - take a look - if you noticed, there will be at least 3 superhero movies every year now because of Iron Man's start of the whole Avengers franchise - NEXT YEAR: Iron Man 3, Kick Ass 2: Balls to the Wall, Thor: The Dark World, Man of Steel and The Wolverine...

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tyrus: Yes, because not everyone wants to see Barry Allen spend forty-five minutes looking through a microscope till he finally gets his powers. 
    Batman Begins had a very fluid approach to explaining his origins. Hulk had used the intro as his origin.
    Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tyrus

@sesquipedalophobe: Lol, yeah - but a full on Flash movie? Hell yeah, I don't care - as long as it get's by fast like Spider-Man...

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sethysquare

@Tyrus said:

@sethysquare: Pfft - YOU sound ridiculous. You think Flash being struck by lightning and Boom his origin is done? Well mate, no - just no. Take a look at Hulk - in Avengers, one could say that Marvel ignored The Incredible Hulk's tie in with the plot but in a certain way they didn't - just because the Hulk is a new actor it doesn't mean it's a reboot... The Incredible Hulk's 2 hour plot played a crucial role in how people recognized him in the Avengers, so don't bother saying Flash and WW will be easy to pull off in 5 mins - coz they won't. Green Lantern will have to be the same (IF Ryan Reynolds will return, I'm guessing that if Ben Affleck will direct JLA then he'll kick out Reynolds and helm the Green Lantern character himself, lol) - Hopefully Will Beall won't ignore the events of Green Lantern IF that film is supposedly tied with the DC cinematic universe.

How else can you describe Flash's origin?

He is who he is. Flash got a 90s TV series. His origins was shown in the pilot episode. But essentially it bows down to that. Flash got strucked by lightning and doused in chemicals.

Besides, Batman, Superman, WW, Flash are much bigger icons than Captain America or Thor or Iron Man before the movies. DC have more iconic heroes. People know who they are. Chances are they're going to ignore most of what happened in Green Lantern. Because Justice League isn't formed because some dude gathered them and assembled them. In almost every version, all of the heroes came together by chance. Also, no one recognized Incredible Hulk because of the movie. Nobody watched that movie. People recognize him because he is an iconic character. They know him from the TV show. Less than like 20% of the people that watched Avengers watched Incredible Hulk.

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tyrus: And it will. Faster than the speed of thought.
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sethysquare

@Tyrus said:

EDIT: @sethysquare: BTW, you're right about Iron Man being made because of Spider-Man - but you can pretty much say that Iron Man spawned the NEWER era of superhero movies - take a look - if you noticed, there will be at least 3 superhero movies every year now because of Iron Man's start of the whole Avengers franchise - NEXT YEAR: Iron Man 3, Kick Ass 2: Balls to the Wall, Thor: The Dark World, Man of Steel and The Wolverine...

No Iron Man did not spawned the new generation of superhero movies.

The success of Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spiderman, Xmen did that. Iron Man alone only started the Avengers franchise.

BushidoBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BushidoBlack

@sethysquare said:

@Tyrus said:

The success of Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spiderman, Xmen did that. Iron Man alone only started the Avengers franchise.

Now Sethysquare, let's be real here, Marvel Studios being successful has definitely caused other studios to be more proactive about their movies. In general, when a company has success after success with a product, the rival companies try to emulate that. That's simple business. From smartphones to video games, it happens all the time. Movies aren't any different. Marvel has definitely caused their rivals to be more serious. I don't know how you can refute that logically.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By sinestro_GL

@InnerVenom123: My idea is to have a JLA film series that deals with origins, their initial meeting and then taking on the main villain.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Deranged Midget

@InnerVenom123 said:

Perhaps a little like what the New 52 did then? Put them together at an early time in their careers and then the individual films represent them in current stages of their life?

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Funrush

@InnerVenom123 said:

This. JL movie, individual movies, then JL2.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sethysquare

@BushidoBlack said:

@sethysquare said:

@Tyrus said:

Now Sethysquare, let's be real here, Marvel Studios being successful has definitely caused other studios to be more proactive about their movies. In general, when a company has success after success with a product, the rival companies try to emulate that. That's simple business. From smartphones to video games, it happens all the time. Movies aren't any different. Marvel has definitely caused their rivals to be more serious. I don't know how you can refute that logically.

Yes, isn't that what I've said? LOL.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SandMan_

Its already being rushed

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Imagine_Man15

It will probably be rushed, because all the big-shots see are dollar signs, and don't actually care if the movie is good or not.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#38  Edited By AssertingValor  Online

If they did it right, JLA would be a much more interesting and exciting movie i believe......

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MAZAHS117

Lets face it WB/DC shelved their "Justice League project" for a multitude of reasons and decided to go with yet again a new Batman film with Batman Begins and....SUPRISE, a Superman movie with Superman Returns...They only just recently decided to open up the Justice League movie because of the huge success that was Avengers...So yeah, Justice League is and will be rushed.....really sad thing out of all this is that WB/DC has displayed ZERO ability to get their characters right on the big screen with the exception of Bats N'Supes, and lets face it Supes hasn't had a really good movie since Superman II and that was 30yrs ago!...The fact of the matter is, is that Justice League will be rushed and more than likely will not hit the standard set by The Avengers, but I hope I'm wrong. Everything hangs in the balance with Man of Steel. If it's good and actually plants some sublte seeds to a bigger movie-verse, maybe there's hope for DC movie fans after all.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InnerVenom123 said:

I have months telling people this.

mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By mrtrickster
    @InnerVenom123 said:

completely agreed
    CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CrimsonCake

As long as it's made I shall be pleased immensely.

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By YoggSaron

The aim is for the film to be released three years from now. Hardly rushing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.