Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3313 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Will Cyborg Ever Do Anything In Justice League?

• 88 results
    OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Geoff shoves him into the background as much as he did John Stewart in his 9 year Green Lantern run. Cyborg has been on the team for two years now, and nothing...

Should I be worried?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Hopefully he'll do something major in the future but I'm not holding my breath. This problem of underdevelopment would be easily solved if DC would just give Cyborg his own book already.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

he was supposed to do his thing with Shazam after Trinity Wr right? until then, he's just chillin and downloading music illegally

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I imagine him having two or three moments. One during the Trinity War, one when the Secret Society of Supervillains confronts the League(s), and another when Darkseid inevitably returns.

I see the Trinity War one being iffy though, they could end up just shoving him into the background and show him fighting someone while something more important is going on.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By lorex

It seems to me they brought Cyborg into the Justice League to pay lip service to diversity, but as of yet the character for the most remains in the background with no real plan on using him effectively. I guess this is another example of DC doing things in the "New 52" without thinking them through or having a plan. I do think Cyborg could be a interesting character but is suffering in a lineup of stars that is the Justice League.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

He's the new mm and will act like MM

that includes lack of action

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@nerx said:

He's the new mm and will act like MM

that includes lack of action

J'onn actually had a life beyond the League and took action every once and a while. Cyborg doesn't and hasn't (outside of the whole grid thing)

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@avenging_x_bolt: This is an insult to MM, first they replace him with a dude who belongs in another team. Then this dude is inert? it seems like they try to cover up MM's existence by rendering cy inactive

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Geoff shoves him into the background as much as he did John Stewart in his 9 year Green Lantern run. Cyborg has been on the team for two years now, and nothing...

Should I be worried?

Aye man, I'm starting to worry too. Two whole years and all that he's done in the new52 can be summed up in one paragraph.

he was supposed to do his thing with Shazam after Trinity Wr right? until then, he's just chillin and downloading music illegally

I legit busted out laughing at the bold lmao!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

He will have some moments but none of them shall be memorable.The Trinity War may be the time for him to shine.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Cyborg will get promoted to satellite assistant janitor to satellite head janitor Red Tornado.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Maybe Cyborg will get promoted to satellite assistant janitor to satellite head janitor Red Tornado.

loooool

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He isn't going to do anything. Ever.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Honestly, what did you people expect? He's completely out of place in the League.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By fodigg

When the team needs to go somewhere quickly and doesn't feel like using the teleporters in the Watchtower, Cyborg will be there. When Batman wants to do some computing and doesn't feel like using the giant supercomputer in the Batcave, Cyborg will be there. Whenever there's a need that could be served easily in some other way, that's when trusty Cyborg will step forward and do his part, so he can then fade into the background and we can all wonder why they bothered.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, what did you people expect? He's completely out of place in the League.

That the founding members of the team would be treated as equals and like legends. I also expected the book to be well written in the same way it was in previous incarnations. But, you know, my bad for expecting all that.

Let's just bring John Stewart on the team and take Geoff Johns off the book.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Saren

@citizenbane said:

That the founding members of the team would be treated as equals and like legends. I also expected the book to be well written in the same way it was in previous incarnations. But, you know, my bad for expecting all that.

If Cyborg actually brought something relevant to the table beyond replacing the JLA's age-old teleporter system, maybe he'd be treated as an equal. At least Batman has the excuse that he's the League's resident tactical genius.

Bringing John Stewart onto the team would actually make sense since he has something to contribute. Johns getting taken off the book is unlikely given that he's DC's Master and Commander right now.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

When the team needs to go somewhere quickly and doesn't feel like using the teleporters in the Watchtower, Cyborg will be there. When Batman wants to do some computing and doesn't feel like using the giant supercomputer in the Batcave, Cyborg will be there. Whenever there's a need that could be served easily in some other way, that's when trusty Cyborg will step forward and do his part, so he can then fade into the background and we can all wonder why they bothered.

I burst into laughter and am still chuckling as I write this, haha.

It's funny because it's true.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superdork said:

@citizenbane said:

If Cyborg actually brought something relevant to the table beyond replacing the JLA's age-old teleporter system, maybe he'd be treated as an equal. At least Batman has the excuse that he's the League's resident tactical genius.

Bringing John Stewart onto the team would actually make sense since he has something to contribute. Johns getting taken off the book is unlikely given that he's DC's Master and Commander right now.

You're totally right. I hear rumors that Lemire will replace Johns after Trinity War. While I also find it unlikely, I pray that it is true. Johns and Justice League don't mix. Maybe he'll get more excited by other projects like Shazam, Aquaman, and JLA then step off the title.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@outlawrenegade: you should have realistic expectations. he is just their 'car'. and most of them can get around just fine without him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He will soon

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Rich711

They still havent given Flash a storyline in the JL reboot. Cyborg is the new guy, they should let him develop as all the originals get a storyline then do something with him. Right now he is nothing more than their car with bluetooth. They touch on something interesting recently with him realizing that Vic Stone is technically dead in that whole cave of visions. Him wrestling with not wanting to let go of his humanity is always a good starting point for cybernetic characters. And does Cyborg even have a classic antagonist, the Titans do but in this reboot he was never a Titan. Either way they need to lay the necessary ground work if they want a decent storyline out of what is still sort of an unfinished Character.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By sinestro_GL

Kinda difficult to write for a relatively unpopular hero when they have to write a team book with Bats, Supes and WW...that might have been some of the reasons why GL and Flash haven't been there...difficult to write for (yeah yeah, I know GL was busy with the whole being dead thing, and Flash was busy with Grodd).

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dredeuced

@sinestro_gl said:

Kinda difficult to write for a relatively unpopular hero when they have to write a team book with Bats, Supes and WW...that might have been some of the reasons why GL and Flash haven't been there...difficult to write for (yeah yeah, I know GL was busy with the whole being dead thing, and Flash was busy with Grodd).

The funny thing about Flash being busy with Grodd is it makes a horrendous continuity error specifically because they forgot to write Flash into the story.

Grodd's invasion of Central City was his first outright fight with the Flash in New-52, and Barry couldn't be at the Atlantean incursion because of it. Funny thing though? It was already freaking referenced that Barry fought Grodd in Central City in JL #2:

No Caption Provided

Unless they want to retcon Barry fighting Ultra Humanite in Central city at some point, lol.

The New-52 JL title is a freaking mess of terrible writing. For their Flagship title DC should be pretty damned ashamed about it. It should have the most oversight for crap like this.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should I be worried?

What did you expect, you know why he's on the roster to begin with!

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jusr because he was chosen due to race does not mean he should not be developed into something more

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

No.

In one word

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Cyborg has come off as the most crucial part of the team to me...

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Why? How?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Why? How?

He does everything. He runs the watch tower, he ports them all over the world, he knows/finds stuff out for all of them even batman contacts Cyborg for intel a lot. Not to mention he saved their asses in Throne of Atlantis.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's second fiddle to everyone, toss him back on Teen Titans and get Martian Manhunter in JL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@superdork said:

@teerack said:

Why? How?

He does everything. He runs the watch tower, he ports them all over the world, he knows/finds stuff out for all of them even batman contacts Cyborg for intel a lot. Not to mention he saved their asses in Throne of Atlantis.

Batman contacting Cyborg is only done to try and boost Cyborg as a character. They are trying to put Cyborg always around their most popular character in order help Cyborg. They even did it Injustice, they had Batman working with Cyborg and Catwoman hitting on Cyborg so that he would seem cooler.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Cyborg is not really a founding member but just the new Snapper Carr.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@superdork said:

@teerack said:

Why? How?

Batman contacting Cyborg is only done to try and boost Cyborg as a character. They are trying to put Cyborg always around their most popular character in order help Cyborg. They even did it Injustice, they had Batman working with Cyborg and Catwoman hitting on Cyborg so that he would seem cooler.

So what you're basically saying is Cyborg doing stuff doesn't count because DC is just trying to make Cyborg popular. That's a very unlogical way of looking at it.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Cyborg is the Scotty of the Justice League.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonyofcells:

Lmao

They should have just set expectations by changing his name to JARVIS!

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:
    @superdork said:
    @teerack said:

Why? How?

Sorry, but this is the ****ing STUPIDEST complaint I have ever seen. This would not be said about any other character. So, DC is trying to make Cyborg look cool to be on big 7 level? That's a GOOD thing. He should be on their level if he is on their team.

@teerack said:

@superdork said:

@teerack said:

Why? How?

I don't agree. Cyborg shows no initiative and stays inside all day while problems happen all over the world. He's no different than Iron Man's Jarvis program. He just takes commands and does things that Batman's computer and the JLA satellite can do. And worse, he has no development that has put him on Justice League level. Where is his Justic League level arch villain? Where is his interesting personality that is found outside of the comics? Where is his supporting cast? Where is the story line that focuses on him. It's been 2 years. There is no excuse for his lack of development. I don't understand why there is so much focus on everyone but Cyborg when he needs development more than anyone else on the team. He's the only one with a complete history wipe and no ongoing title. He feels like he's only there for DC to say they have diversity. Having diversity is not enough. You have to treat the members of the team like equals and that means developing and justifying them all. Bruce Timm justified and developed John Stewart on the Second episode of Justice League. Geoff Johns has written 5-7episodes (Origin, 2 filler, Cheetah, 2 filler, Throne of Atlantis, 2 filler) and none of them have developed Cyborg or boosted his profile or developed his supporting cast or anything. He couldn't give a single filler issue to Cyborg? Yeah, right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:
    @teerack said:
    @superdork said:
    @teerack said:

Why? How?

Sorry, but this is the ****ing STUPIDEST complaint I have ever seen. This would not be said about any other character. So, DC is trying to make Cyborg look cool to be on big 7 level? That's a GOOD thing. He should be on their level if he is on their team.

I never said I was complaining. I was just pointing it out. I prefer MM to be a founder of the League, but I know Cyborg has potential. So stop trying to act all pretentious when you were a major advocate for Cyborg being on the JL in the first place and now you're complaing about it, ****tard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Cyborg is not really a founding member but just the new Snapper Carr.

That's exactly how I see it as well.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Teerack

@superdork: I think Jarvis is a really bad comparison. If identifies all the threats and really lets the team know what to do. Jarvis just takes orders and when the A.I. was killed it literally meant nothing to the avengers, unless you're talking about the butler in which case it would make them sad for a few days and then nothing would change, and they would carried on like normal. If Cyborg were to quit right now it would have a big effect on the team. For Batman to try and take over the Job that Cyborg has been doing he would probably need to quit being Batman because of how time consuming it would be for him.

To be honest I think Cyborg is int the middle of the level of the Justice Leagues focus. The main over lapsing stories in JL are Batman & Aquaman fighting for leadership, Superman & Wonder Woman dating, and Cyborg's struggles with what he's become.

Flash was literally just left out of the past couple of issues of JL and Green Lantern quit, so Flash and GL are getting the least amount of focus in the book.

Really only the Trinity and Aquaman are getting more attention, but that's sorta expected.

I think they're doing okay building a supporting cast for him. His father continues to make appearances in JL and in Aquaman 16(which follows up JL 16) they introduced a love interest in a dream sequence.

Just considering Cyborg doesn't have his own book I think DC is doing a good job.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you been reading Justice League? He's incredibly bland and Johns has not written anything that would even hint at him changing that. The character has no direction. He'll probably be sent back to the Titans or some other teenager focused team before he does anything and even then he'll never be a star. Geoff "Silver Age" Johns was likely forced to use the character despite what he has said in some interviews. On this topic, he has not walked his talk. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken off the main roster soon while his founding history is retconned.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Yeah no, so far the only notable things that Cyborg has done is just teleport the team around the place. The climax of trinity war has raised my hopes for the character but I'm not holding my breath.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I seriously don't understand why they bothered putting Cyborg on the team when they had nothing planned for him. He's the only one of the main 7 who doesn't have a solo book nor does he appear in any other comic, yet i'm supposed to believe he matters as much as them?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Black_Claw

@peppeyhare: Especially when there were so many other great candidates to put on the team if they wanted a black JL founder so badly. I personally think Vixen would've made a great candidate.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Teerack

@black_claw: If you wanna disregard the facts that's great. Don't see why you needed to respond to me to do it.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have anything against Cyborg, I like him, I just hate that he was made a founding member of the Justice League. Like the rest of the New Teen Titans he should be on the Teen Titans. Beast Boy is there and Raven is there. Starfire is on a Titans "spin-off" team, so I'm okay with that. If they wanted Cy to be in the JLA, he should have joined later, not made a founding member to add diversity. I enjoyed when Cyborg was in the JLA when the 2nd Gen Heroes took over. But there are plenty of other black Superheroes who would have filled the position better than him:

1. Vixen. Despite being in the JLI might have been the best choice. Racial diversity and another female character. Her power set could be useful too.
    2. Black Lightening. This character would have been another great choice, his DCUP story with Blue Devil was AMAZING.
    3. Icon. I'd argue that he would have been a better choice too even though he's basically a black Superman.
    4. Mister Terrific would have been a nice, he's intelligence would rival Batmans and his tech could be an advantage
    5. Steel. I thought he was one of the better members in the JLA when he was apart of the team during Grant Morrison's JLA run. It would have been awesome seeing him fight along side Superman in the battle against Darkseid. He's also great at tech.
    6. Rocket. She could go hand in hand with Icon. They're partners, friends, she's a female. So why not?

I would have added John Stewart but replacing Hal is obviously impossible with Johns writing the book.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have anything against Cyborg, I like him, I just hate that he was made a founding member of the Justice League. Like the rest of the New Teen Titans he should be on the Teen Titans. Beast Boy is there and Raven is there. Starfire is on a Titans "spin-off" team, so I'm okay with that. If they wanted Cy to be in the JLA, he should have joined later, not made a founding member to add diversity. I enjoyed when Cyborg was in the JLA when the 2nd Gen Heroes took over. But there are plenty of other black Superheroes who would have filled the position better than him:

1. Vixen. Despite being in the JLI might have been the best choice. Racial diversity and another female character. Her power set could be useful too.
    2. Black Lightening. This character would have been another great choice, his DCUP story with Blue Devil was AMAZING.
    3. Icon. I'd argue that he would have been a better choice too even though he's basically a black Superman.
    4. Mister Terrific would have been a nice, he's intelligence would rival Batmans and his tech could be an advantage
    5. Steel. I thought he was one of the better members in the JLA when he was apart of the team during Grant Morrison's JLA run. It would have been awesome seeing him fight along side Superman in the battle against Darkseid. He's also great at tech.
    6. Rocket. She could go hand in hand with Icon. They're partners, friends, she's a female. So why not?

I would have added John Stewart but replacing Hal is obviously impossible with Johns writing the book.

Black Lightning would have been awesome, but Johns likely would not write any of these characters on par with the rest of the team. He'd just find some gimmick like he did with Cyborg.

I seriously don't understand why they bothered putting Cyborg on the team when they had nothing planned for him. He's the only one of the main 7 who doesn't have a solo book nor does he appear in any other comic, yet i'm supposed to believe he matters as much as them?

Every team needs a car.

No Caption Provided

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

JL Jukebox.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@arturocalakayvee: I like Cyborg better than the characters you mentioned for inclusion on the JL. I think the only thing holding Cyborg back in the eyes of most fans is the nostalgia factor of "but he's a Teen Titan!" That could easily be fixed if they, you know, supported the character in his new role. Instead he's the only founder without a solo title (not even a mini!) and he doesn't do jack all in the book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.