why is it called Justice League of AMERICA

• 58 results
#1 Posted by Glabal500 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

im not american bashing or anything... but i want to know why they call it the "Justice League of America"

not all of the team members were American........

did the JLA only care about American interests, and only protect America's safety..... or was it just the country it was founded in.....??? or something

just wanna know

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (81527 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that's where they were first founded and operated out of.
#3 Posted by Vance Astro (91105 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure the search bar above could have given you this answer if you couldn't already easily guess the answer.

#4 Posted by JediXMan (29517 posts) - - Show Bio

1. It was founded in America.
2. Its HQ is / was in the US.
3. Most of its members are American or operate in and around America.
4. The vast majority of events occur in the US.

#5 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

Because when the concept was first introduced no body really cared that much about the name and probably never suspected people to get all bent out of shape over it.

#6 Posted by JediXMan (29517 posts) - - Show Bio

It's also because a lot of American comic books take place in - wait for it - America. Same reason why a lot of Manga and Anime take place in Japan.

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12504 posts) - - Show Bio

it was the 60's. you were expecting the justice league of cuba?

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Justice League Earth doesn't have the same ring to it

#9 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Just to add something of minimal relevance that everybody already knows but might have forgotten: They tried Justice League International once... It didn't do as well as JLA.

#10 Posted by SC (12689 posts) - - Show Bio

To give all the little weird non American kids in poor 3rd world countries aspirations to be something better when they get older. Americans. Only if you eat your beans and brush your teeth though comrade. 

Though, to be honest, its not like they care about justice nor are they really a league. They should just be called the Alliance. Or maybe the Nation of Domination. Or maybe the NWO... Nexus has a nice ring... 
#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are the Avengers called Earth's mightiest heroes when several of them aren't from Earth?

#12 Posted by SC (12689 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" Why are the Avengers called Earth's mightiest heroes when several of them aren't from Earth? "

Most of them aren't even heroes! 

To be fair though also... it is also because Steve Rogers denies the existence of aliens. Iron Man tells the others to go with it, and if any of them step out of line, Hank Pym steps in and sla... 
#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Fair enough, but why are the xmen called xmen when half or more of them are women?
#14 Posted by SC (12689 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @SC: Fair enough, but why are the xmen called xmen when half or more of them are women? "

They are all women now, thats the point. You have the post op, and the pre op. All women though. 
#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Wolverine could use a wax
#16 Edited by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

" @SC: Fair enough, but why are the xmen called xmen when half or more of them are women? "

Well the word men a lot of times is used, not only for males but also humans in generals. Plus X-Men sounds a lot better than X-Humans lol
#17 Posted by SC (12689 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @SC: Wolverine could use a wax "

QFT! 

A shower as well. Plus whatever that pill is, that makes him stop taking little girls as side kicks. Possibly neutered as well. 
#18 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" To give all the little weird non American kids in poor 3rd world countries aspirations to be something better when they get older. Americans. Only if you eat your beans and brush your teeth though comrade. "
Lies! All lies! I was weird! I was from a 3rd world country! I ate my beans and brushed my teeth and I became an Aussie not an American! I was deceived!

@SC said:
" @joshmightbe said:
" Why are the Avengers called Earth's mightiest heroes when several of them aren't from Earth? "

Most of them aren't even heroes! 
"
Double negative makes a right! :D
#19 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad said:
" @SC said:
" To give all the little weird non American kids in poor 3rd world countries aspirations to be something better when they get older. Americans. Only if you eat your beans and brush your teeth though comrade. "
Lies! All lies! I was weird! I was from a 3rd world country! I ate my beans and brushed my teeth and I became an Aussie not an American! I was deceived!
lol
#20 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
" @ssejllenrad said:
" @SC said:
lol "
@SC : Will you marry me ?
#21 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

Why it's called Justice League of america? its where there founded, based,and most of their members were from there. Besides the name was came up with in like the 40s and such. At that time Justice Society was still big and Justice League was made to be like a successor to them given that the Society were a team meant to defend America.
#22 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

Did they ever have a Justice League Unlimited Comic Series?
#23 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

DEGRAAF: Yes it failed epicaly.
#24 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

Some counties wouldn't sound right at all just try saying Justice League of Yugoslavia, I assure you it would not be taken seriously

#25 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jnr6Lil said:
" DEGRAAF: Yes it failed epicaly. "
How is that possible??
#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102: Its failing in such a spectacular fashion that you almost have to admire how completely they failed  
#27 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked that show, tho.

*tears*
#28 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7535 posts) - - Show Bio

cuz America rules

#29 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

The Justice League of Paraguay didn't sound right,

and Superman hates Canadians, so...

#30 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
"

it was the 60's. you were expecting the justice league of cuba?

"
...You mean the JLC doesn't exist? :(
#31 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12504 posts) - - Show Bio

nope, castro refused to fund it. said he needed to the money for mustache wax    
#32 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

Dracade102: Have you ever heard of the teen slang "epic fail?"
#33 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

Always prefered Justice League sounds better in my opinion
#34 Posted by War Killer (19953 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter said:
Agreed. Plus when you're in a big battle, you're the Flash and just saved a little boy who asks who you are, it's cooler to say "We're the Justice League!" instead of "We're the Justice League....of America!" Especially if you're in like North Korea... <_<
#35 Posted by Paracelsus (1499 posts) - - Show Bio

When it was first founded, the rule of thumb was to identify as closely with Uncle Sam-it's not untl nowadays that questions have been raised as to whether in the much smaller world of the 21st century, identifying with a single nation state (and presumably its interests) is necessarily such a good thing! (personally I think this amounts to a form of"captivity" not least  due to the fact that several JLA members such as the Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Zauriel and Aquaman aren't even US citizens).

Terry

#36 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Reporter: Hello, Superman, we've noticed you've assembled a team of superpowered beings to help save the world. What do you call yourself?

Superman: We're the Justice League. 

Reporter: But Justice is a fluid concept, the definitions vary greatly from culture to culture. 

Superman: Fair Enough. We're the Jusice League of the Western World. 

Reporter: But some of the nations in the Western World still believe in the Death Penalty, so do you support that?

Superman: We're the Justice League of Democratic American Values!

Reporter: JLDAV sounds ridiculous. 

Superman: Fine. We're just the Justice League of America. 

Reporter: But what about the States of the US that still support the Death Penalty?

Superman: We're using America to describe the majority of the United States. 

Reporter: So why aren't you the Justice League of the United States of America?

Superman: Hey, Canadians and South Americans might want to read about us too. We don't want to offend anyone. Yeesh. 

Reporter: What about readers in Europe, Asia and Australia? 

Superman: **** them. They can have the Outsiders.

#37 Posted by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Say "JLA" out loud.

Now say "JL" out loud.

That's pretty much it.

"JLU" sounds good too but "JLA" just rings better no?

#38 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

BECAUSE OF THIS!!!!!!!!!

#39 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Because JLA is racist and only protects America

#40 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

@Nighthunter said:
Agreed. Plus when you're in a big battle, you're the Flash and just saved a little boy who asks who you are, it's cooler to say "We're the Justice League!" instead of "We're the Justice League....of America!" Especially if you're in like North Korea... <_<

Flash doesn't take the time to talk to the kid because if he did in that time; that kid's family would have died, his neighbors, his aunt, his best friend, that other kid's family, the family down the street that makes the awesome kimchi, the rest of Korea (North and South) oh and he'd not have had time enough to assassinate Kim Jong il.

That's right, you heard me... it was The Flash.

You're welcome North Korea, a gift from the Justice League of America. lol

Also no one shoot me for that joke.

#41 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

It isn't anymore.

#42 Posted by BOPFAN#3 (116 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe it's called JL of America because it was a propaganda tool. By calling the team an American team it showed how strong America was and it showed the comic to be patriotic. I think that DC tried to tap into patriotism to get people to buy the comic and the name just stuck with the team to this day. Personally I like that it's called the JLA just because no matter what terrible things our government does, we still have the JLA to show we do have good things about our country.

#43 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@BOPFAN#3 said:

I believe it's called JL of America because it was a propaganda tool. By calling the team an American team it showed how strong America was and it showed the comic to be patriotic. I think that DC tried to tap into patriotism to get people to buy the comic and the name just stuck with the team to this day. Personally I like that it's called the JLA just because no matter what terrible things our government does, we still have the JLA to show we do have good things about our country.

Does it hurt when you spew that much crap?

#44 Posted by BOPFAN#3 (116 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: How dare I voice my opinion on a message board......? Do you have a point you'd like to make or ru just trolling?

#45 Posted by Joygirl (18457 posts) - - Show Bio

SC, remind me to follow you when I get back on my computer. :3

#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32646 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Europe even have a super team in the DCU? and I don't mean JLI

#47 Posted by chalkshark (1182 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glabal500: It's a carry over from "Justice Society of America". In the late 1950's/early 1960's, National Publication (DC) was in the process of reviving and rebranding their characters from the 1940's. For whatever reason, "society"was dropped in favor of "league". My guess would be that children were more familiar with the word "league", from it's usage on baseball cards. You have to also take into account that at the time the book was created, as well as the earlier Justice Society of America, this was ( & still is) an American publisher selling their wares to an almost exclusively American audience. The team did operate out of America... in Rhode Island of all places... and the original seven members, with the exception of Aquaman, were based in American cities.

As science fiction was huge in the 50's/60/s a large percentage of Justice League adventures didn't occur on Earth at all, let alone America, which explains the large number of alien adversaries that dog the team to this day. The team's mission statement was to protect the planet, not just Earth.

#48 Posted by PowerHerc (81527 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

1. It was founded in America.2. Its HQ is / was in the US.3. Most of its members are American or operate in and around America.4. The vast majority of events occur in the US.

This.

#49 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@BOPFAN#3 said:

@TheCrowbar: How dare I voice my opinion on a message board......? Do you have a point you'd like to make or ru just trolling?

You're displaying your opinion as fact. No where in your statement do you imply opinion, you're answering inquiry that has factual answer with your opinion

Now go get yourself some Preparation H.

#50 Posted by BOPFAN#3 (116 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: Starting it with "I believe" kinda made it sound like an opinion...... I don't know many statements that start with "I believe...." and you didn't have to be rude, you could have just said don't mix fact with personal beliefs....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.