Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Why do people think Wonder Woman fans are hard to please?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

A common excuse used by execs for why they aren't doing Wonder Woman projects is that the character is difficult to get.

No, that's wrong. Greek Mythology is done well in various forms of media all the time.

And then some fans on comic sites treat Wonder Woman fans like they are rabid and can't agree on anything.

Look, Wonder Woman fans want what every other fan wants. If Batman or Superman were altered as much as some people try to do with Wonder Woman, then those fans would be upset too--more so if they had fewer well-done translations to other forms of media. I mean, do you remember the hate for The Batman, Beware the Batman, or Batman The Brave and The Bold? Why are people treating Wonder Woman fans like they are different from any other DC or Marvel fan?

The Lauren Montgomery Wonder Woman film was very well received by the fans. A show done in that vein doesn't seem very difficult. It's Xena (Warrior Princess) meets Thor (Fish Out Of Water) meets Buffy (Urban Fantasy). You can even toss some intrigue in there and have some trustworthy people turn out to be some untrustworthy monsters.

As for the costume disputes, I think these are overplayed. Superman and Batman fans complain just as much about changes.

And for a TV show or movie, it's easy to solve the Wonder Woman costume debate.

When she is on Paradise Island she switches off between a gladiator skirt and a toga. After some time in man's world, she wears the pants but uses the gladiator skirt when she armors up for more serious conflicts. Easy.

Or maybe not. Let's see if I'm proven wrong in the comments.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Squalleon

WW fans are fine.
    They just got bored with DC not knowing what to do with the character and rewriting her story and personality every time a new writer gets the title.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Lol.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Yeah. Its silly that we don't have a Wonder Women movie by now. Or at least one in planning.

The uniform argument is pretty crap. They update and alter uniforms all the time to suit their needs. Its not that difficult.

There's plenty of rich story to exploit and several villains to introduce.

The only thing left is to decide her powers and equipment. Me? Give her the ability to fly and FFS do not try to introduce an invisible jet. Give her a lasso, her bracelets and maybe a sword and shield and call it a day.

All thats left is to find an actress who is has a good mix of kick-ass and beauty and call it a day! I like Gemma Arterton, Amber Heard, or Jaimie Alexander.

Yeah. We need to get Wonder Women on the big screen all ready.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Go to the Wonder Woman forum, this people complaint of any type of change.

Batman fans and Superman fans get they have to change them so fit the medium, Wonder Woman fans dont.

Also if they do what they did to Thor to her people will complaint of the fact they changed Greek mythology to fit live action like they did with Thor.

Joss Whedon:

"It's enormously difficult to take very disparate characters and make them work. DC has a harder time of it than Marvel because their characters are from an old, bygone era where characters were bigger than we were. Marvel really cracked the code in terms of ‘Oh, they're just like us.’"

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman fans and Superman fans get they have to change them so fit the medium, Wonder Woman fans dont.

Also if they do what they did to Thor to her people will complaint of the fact they changed Greek mythology to fit live action like they did with Thor.

Joss Whedon:

"It's enormously difficult to take very disparate characters and make them work. DC has a harder time of it than Marvel because their characters are from an old, bygone era where characters were bigger than we were. Marvel really cracked the code in terms of ‘Oh, they're just like us.’"

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Joss Whedon:

Are you kidding me? Superman fans complained about his collar, his seams, and the lack of underwear in all forms of media. Thor fans complained about the helmet. Batman fans complained about the Robin in DKR. All Wonder Woman fans complained about was a shitty Ally McBeal pilot. The pants argument is not different than the undies argument.

Marvel fans have less to complain about because the changes are for the better--like getting rid of Donald Blake. Most DC heroes don't have fans to garner complaints because they have nothing in development. Scratch that. Flash and Green Lantern fans can't decide who the representatives of their franchises should be. Flash fans complain he is going to TV instead of film.

Can you imagine how angry Superman fans would get if TV producers tried to turn him into a lawyer like they did with Wonder Woman fans, lol?

This Wonder Woman thing about her fans is over exaggerated. They are no different than any other fans.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Joss Whedon:

Are you kidding me? Superman fans complained about his collar, his seams, and the lack of underwear in all forms of media. Thor fans complained about the helmet. Batman fans complained about the Robin in DKR. All Wonder Woman fans complained about was a shitty Ally McBeal pilot. The pants argument is not different than the undies argument.

Marvel fans have less to complain about because the changes are for the better--like getting rid of Donald Blake. Most DC heroes don't have fans to garner complaints because they have nothing in development. Scratch that. Flash and Green Lantern fans can't decide who the representatives of their franchises should be. Flash fans complain he is going to TV instead of film.

Can you imagine how angry Superman fans would get if TV producers tried to turn him into a lawyer like they did with Wonder Woman fans, lol?

This Wonder Woman thing about her fans is over exaggerated. They are no different than any other fans.

They are more vocal though. I mean they constantly complain about updating her costume. In all of the promo New 52 art WW had pants. They complained, the pants are gone. Superman and Batman fans complain but they are still more open to trying new interpretations of the character.

But it is easy to see where they are coming from. WW has been constantly mishandled by DC.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Don't know about anyone else, but I seriously doubt the hate for those Batman shows is the result of fans' inability to accept alterations to the characters. Those shows are just plain mediocre to awful. "Rabid" has been the first word that's come to my mind for quite a while now if someone mentions Wonder Woman fans, but that's mostly the result of a certain type of WW fans on this forum and others. I don't think Thor's even comparable, really --- if Thor fans are upset about something, they usually mope and throw collective pity parties on his forum. They're not quite as.....vehement as Wonder Woman fanboys tend to be.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Trust me, when you go on the Wonder Woman forums for yourself, you can easily see why Wonder Woman fans really are hard to please.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because most writers handle her terribly and my biggest pet peeve is when they make her into a straw feminist who drops the act once she meets a good strong man or into an equally bad straw feminazi who hates man and rarr psycholesbian.

The DCAU's portrayal is in my mind by far the best, strong and independent, but still compassionate and reasonable. A symbol of gender equality rather than female supremacy. Someone powerful in their own right instead of supergirl with gladiator gear instead of heat vision and frost breath. Probably more objectively beautiful than anyone you'll ever meet but not "OHMYGAWDZ HAWTER THEN SEXINESS" (I as a woman myself know full well that the male populace would never unanimously vote any one woman most beautiful.)

Oh and actually likeable rather than "ALWAYS PMSING, ALL THE TIME" like she is in nuJLA.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outlawrenegade said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Joss Whedon:

They are more vocal though. I mean they constantly complain about updating her costume. In all of the promo New 52 art WW had pants. They complained, the pants are gone. Superman and Batman fans complain but they are still more open to trying new interpretations of the character.

But it is easy to see where they are coming from. WW has been constantly mishandled by DC.

World Finest High Five For This.
    World Finest High Five For This.

Not only that, if you go their forum, any change they could do to her character so she fits this universe, they complaint about it and hate it.

They even hated the fact she got back at the underware, they complaint of any costume change and complaint she is not using her undeware in Injustice an Elseworld.

Also is wasnt talking about the TV Show, i was talking of her in general.

Also the people that complaint about the changes Batman and Superman had in their last movies, are obviusly not fans of the character, most of this people complaint of this changes but not the previous changes, what point them being fans of Tim Burton and Donner movies, more that the character they say are fans or people that has a large case of nostalgia.

Joss Whedon:

DC has to make them fit all of them in one universe, sure you understand this is live action movies and it mean si a new medium with new rules, DC is going to have a harder time based on the fact so far they only have 1 movie of this universe, and dont have all the rules they have to follow.

I said it several times, once you pass the origin thing with Flash and Aquaman, they get so type of sense in this universe.

Aquaman's powers are almost purely scientific. His body is adapted to be able to withstand the pressures of deep sea which explains his super strength and tough skin, etc.

Just explain some pseudo science pseudo evolution like X Men and he is ready to go.

I mean the fact Aquaman fits this universe and Wonder Woman dont, tell you they will have to reimagine her origin at least, i mean Thor is not going with Gods, is going with interdimensonal aliens that for humans looks like Gods, Asgardians are intradimensionals, still if you do to Olympians, Wonder Woman fans will complaint about it, even when the idea of them being intrdimensionals would mean they would need less changes.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they are whiny. Lol.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@lvenger said:

Trust me, when you go on the Wonder Woman forums for yourself, you can easily see why Wonder Woman fans really are hard to please.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sinisteri

Updates and adjustments are one thing, but complete overhauls have not touched Batman & Superman.

In the last seven decades:

Their parents have never been different people.

They have never lost Lois Lane, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, the Daily Planet or the Batman cave for extensive periods of their incarnations.

Each reboot for them quickly re-establishes updates of familiar characters & the main character's personal life outside of adventures- WW new whole life is protecting a baby with no downtime ever!

There are certain elements locked in for Supes and Bats that are not protected for Diana.

The comparison is jaded and disrespectful to use as a basis as to why WW fans should just shut up & take it.

But, it's easy to dismiss fans of a character not high on your own list.

Carry on.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

All I know is the longer we go without visible support for the character, the more annoyed fans get.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@sinisteri: Wonder Woman's my 6th favourite character and I still like what Azzarello's doing with the character. She hasn't been overhauled that much yet the few changes to her mythology are enough to set off the whiny fans who vehemently rage about Azzarello's run and take it way too seriously. Carry on with the warped line of reasoning as to why people who like Azzarello's run aren't 'true' Wonder Woman fans.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: she hasn't been overhauled that much?

So, she is in the same city with the same supporting cast she has had consistently over the last several decades, huh?

Just liking what one writer has done in the last two years does not mean the character's entire past and established essence was worthless or disposable to her fans.

My point was to those who say Bats and Supes have has the exact same changes.

Why must people find it hard to believe the upset over changing Diana when they would probably not sit well if Batman's parents were Ted and Meredith Baxter from Mars or Supes was the son of Odin with Aquaman's powers?

Would the argument that change shouldn't matter make any of that ok?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@sinisteri: Wonder Woman's my 6th favourite character and I still like what Azzarello's doing with the character. She hasn't been overhauled that much yet the few changes to her mythology are enough to set off the whiny fans who vehemently rage about Azzarello's run and take it way too seriously. Carry on with the warped line of reasoning as to why people who like Azzarello's run aren't 'true' Wonder Woman fans.

For the same reason Nolan Batman fans arent Batman fans, Arrow fans arent Green Arrow, MOS fans arent Superman fans, close minded "fans" that "like the character for how the character is".

Even when they fails to explain this point of view and many times is obvious they just dislike changes because it sounds cool.

@sinisteri said:

Updates and adjustments are one thing, but complete overhauls have not touched Batman & Superman.

In the last seven decades:

Their parents have never been different people.

They have never lost Lois Lane, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, the Daily Planet or the Batman cave for extensive periods of their incarnations.

Each reboot for them quickly re-establishes updates of familiar characters & the main character's personal life outside of adventures- WW new whole life is protecting a baby with no downtime ever!

There are certain elements locked in for Supes and Bats that are not protected for Diana.

The comparison is jaded and disrespectful to use as a basis as to why WW fans should just shut up & take it.

But, it's easy to dismiss fans of a character not high on your own list.

Carry on.

Still they changed things and its crazy how much they change.
    Still they changed things and its crazy how much they change.

I mean, Alfred used to be a fat detective.

Batwoman used to be Batman romatic interest.

Batgirl used to be Batwoman side kick.

Talia Al Ghul used to be a damssel in distress.

Lex Luthor wasnt always the bald rich we know and love.

Superboy used to be Clark.

The Joker use to be exactly like Heath Ledger version, is the ciiiiiiiiiiircleeeeeeeeeee ooooofffff liiiiiiifeeeeee!!!... hehehe...

Sure many characters are still there, but is obvious the changed them to fit the medium and the times.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: funny, my point was about characters that are gone, erased and not used in WW book for long stretches of time.

Your counterpoint is about changes to mainstay characters.

So, you are not addressing or supplying a credible counterpoint. In fact, you just proved my point that these supporting characters change but are not removed for long stretches of time.

Thanks!

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinisteri: No, is obvious you dont notice this arent the same characters and they only keep the names.

They change them to the point they arent the same characters, the ones that worked the best keep that way, those who dont keep changing to other characters.

Well maybe not with The Joker, the guy is always The Joker as long as he is doing it for the fun of doing it.

Jason Todd used to be red haired Dick Grayson, before being Jason Todd.

They change the characters, they are the same character only in name.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

To answer the thread title - because we are.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sinisteri

@deathpoolthet1000: and I am ok with some change or variation-- with WW, the characters and familiar settings are gone. Meaning not depicted at all.

To you, completely gone vs there & changed are the same. In reality, that is not true

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinisteri: No, to me totally and complete change = gone.

Sure some character have taken some small changes or big changes, but they dont change who they are in essence.

When you even change the essence of the character, it stop being the character.

Even with the changes of time, this guy is still the same character in essence.
    Even with the changes of time, this guy is still the same character in essence.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.