Why Didn't They Just Have Eight Founders?

#1 Edited by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy that Cyborg was added to the Justice League as a founder. I know it pisses people off, but there it is. The team needed more diversity, and he was a great choice--especially considering that he's always included in the Justice League on TV.

But why weren't there 8 founders?

Mentors:

I know that it's a lot of characters to work with, but you could write the book as a team book as well as 4 buddy cop films (Superman&Batman, Wonder Woman&Aquaman, Green Lantern&Flash, and Cyborg&Martian Manhunter). Just thinking out loud.

Plus you get a cool Young Justice/Teen Titans lineup.

Sidekicks:

#2 Edited by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio

The Recruits:

#3 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its a little too confusing.7 is good enough. I don't really care about MM.

Plus why is everyone using that fan made version of Cyborg?

#4 Edited by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

I think its a little too confusing.7 is good enough. I don't really care about MM.

I don't love him, but a lot of people do.

And because it's way cooler than Cyborg's current costume. The current costume could be "Battle Mode", while the fan made one could be "Standby mode."

#5 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

@sethysquare said:

I don't love him, but a lot of people do.

And because it's way cooler than Cyborg's current costume. The current costume could be "Battle Mode", while the fan made one could be "Standby mode."

Uhm, I think alot of DC fans. But regular people can't be bothered.

So no one would bother that much about the movie, you know what I think would be really cool? If the villain for the first movie is MM. Haha. That'll be a show I would want to watch and DC can go like there yours Martian Manhunter.

And no, I prefer regular Cyborg. LOL.

#6 Edited by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

you know what I think would be really cool? If the villain for the first movie is MM. Haha. That'll be a show I would want to watch and DC can go like there yours Martian Manhunter.

Battling the Martian Manhunter in Justice League 8

That would piss so many fans off! lol

#7 Posted by The_Tree (7977 posts) - - Show Bio

I still wouldn't like it, because it'd screw up Cyborg's time with the Teen Titans, and have his origin too closely connected to Darkseid. I wouldn't mind Cyborg joining the Justice League once he's more experienced, but I do mind him being a founding member.

#8 Edited by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

I still wouldn't like it, because it'd screw up Cyborg's time with the Teen Titans, and have his origin too closely connected to Darkseid. I wouldn't mind Cyborg joining the Justice League once he's more experienced, but I do mind him being a founding member.

If he had an origin before Justice League, was an established hero like in Flashpoint, and had no connection to Dartkseid, then would it still bother you?

#9 Posted by TheCannon (19462 posts) - - Show Bio

It was an insult to replace Martian Manhunter with Cyborg.

#10 Posted by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: That's not what this thread is about. In this scenario, no one is replaced

#11 Posted by TheCannon (19462 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

@TheCannon: That's not what this thread is about. In this scenario, no one is replaced

Okay.

I don't think they should have 8 founding members, simply because it would be too much. I like a roster of 4-7. Any more than that for founding members is too much for me.

#12 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

They had different plans for MM, so they could have had an eight member but it still wouldn't be him

#13 Posted by Rumble Man (11073 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork: Sounds great and eight is also a lucky number, now there is no reason for mr terrific to be in the team

#14 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork:i know you trying to put your own spin on this but its still basically a 'cyborg founding member lets debate' thread. so yeah been done. and since when has he always been on tv (except teen titans)?

#15 Posted by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: The Super Powers Team and Smallville. He's probs their most used Black Character outside of comics in terms of how many shows he's been on.

#16 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork: jesus christ! super powers team was decades ago. and a couple appearances in smallville doesnt quite scream popularity. i think he appeared mostly because he was in tt and people outside of comics would recognise him.

#17 Posted by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@Superdork: jesus christ! super powers team was decades ago. and a couple appearances in smallville doesnt quite scream popularity. i think he appeared mostly because he was in tt and people outside of comics would recognise him.

When did I say he was popular? I just think that DC put him on the team because the want to adapt the Justice League to other media. He's their easiest Black character to adapt because they don't have to pay royalties to the creator (Black Lightning, Static), he's not spinoff (Steel), and he has built up minor recognition unlike others (Vixen)

#18 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork: vixen was pretty big in justice league tv series. plus ww wouldnt have been the only female.

#19 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

That would've worked better than replacing MM but neither change is really necessary.

#20 Posted by desmond006 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

I think having 8 members on the team would be fine if another female was added.

#21 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13673 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have no problem with that I suppose. As long as J'onn's place isn't taken, I'm good. Also did Cyborg show up in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited? I'd hate myself if I missed out on that......

#22 Posted by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

I'd have no problem with that I suppose. As long as J'onn's place isn't taken, I'm good. Also did Cyborg show up in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited? I'd hate myself if I missed out on that......

No,he didn't

#23 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Because 7 is the traditional number of leaguers. Which I think is stupid anyway, but whatever.

#24 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's not forget, guys, that it was said int he Origin of the Justice League of America run through 52 and on DC's site that Mark Waid and Ivan Reis showed 8 founders with the Big Seven and Black Canary, even if Dinah didn't keep that status with other writers, even with JLA Year One still considered canon then. So 8 woulda worked by including J'onn in the ranks still. Besides, J'onn's a great character if used right, yet he tends to get screwed over too much of later. :-/

#25 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm fine with cyborg being on the team. hopefully he joins the team in the movie.

#26 Posted by HolySerpent (12819 posts) - - Show Bio

7 sounds better lol

#27 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Vic being on the JLA too, but at the same time, they could have also kept J'onn too, since his abilities would be handy and he'd be another powerhouse besides Superman, Wonder Woman and GL

#28 Posted by herrweis (437 posts) - - Show Bio

especially considering that he's always included in the Justice League on TV?

did i miss something

besides 1 season of the superpowers show in the 80s he hasnt been on any jla toons on tv

and the team never needed diversity .its kind of insulting in a way to put someone on the team JUST because of the race.why not just have good charecters regardless of race.

anyway if there was to be 8 the black canary should be the 8th founder.

#29 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm afraid that even if MMH was added as an eighth founding member, people would still be enraged by the inclusion of Cyborg. People hate progression, and think that 'diversity for the sake of diversity doesn't do anything for comics'. Those are awful people. I, on the other hand, find the inclusion of Cyborg as a necessary, step in the progression of comics, and I applaud DC for their boldness.

Cyborg is more interesting than MMH, and he has a wealth of potential for storytelling, given the opportunity. And plus, his powers are cool too. I don't know how people would conclude baselessly that he is under-qualified for a position in the league. Plus, he and Dick Greyson were in the Titans together as kids, and now Greyson is in his twenties working as Nightwing. If Cyborg was older than him there (and he is), why would people still expect him to still be a Teen Titan?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.