Who Else Thinks The Trinity Should Stay Out Of Each Others' Pants

#1 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems that Wonder Woman is quickly just becoming Superman's girlfriend rather than the independent, strong female she should be. And Batman and a Wonder Woman relationship makes zero sense for either character and their respective mythologies. Superman and Batman is already done with Apollo and Midnighter.

BUT most importantly, these three sleeping with/dating one another really messes up the power balance of the team. One of them will seem subsidiary to the other, and it's usually Wonder Woman. That's why I think she should only date Steve Trevor or Orion--you know characters who aren't A-List or who won't outshine Diana or make her feel subsidiary. Superman/Wonder Woman has the same problem with the Black Panther and Storm relationship IMO.

What do you guys and girls think?

#2 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8823 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's written properly, I don't mind it. The real problem is that most of the time it isn't...

#3 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I also prefer each super hero to have romances with the supporting cast in the solo titles so that each title can be independent.

#4 Posted by BlackWind (6157 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely agree, I dislike any combination of Superman, Wonder Woman or Batman being romantic.

#5 Posted by TheCannon (18352 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

I completely agree, I dislike any combination of Superman, Wonder Woman or Batman being romantic.

This.

#6 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of batman beign this "perv" guy...just....monitoring them...observing :P

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33099 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like superheroes dating other superheroes in genral, it's lazy and boring

#8 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5387 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see the problem. Especially with Supes and WW , I mean it's good to have fun with someone you don't have to worry about accidentally tearing apart lol.

#9 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon: LOL

#10 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon said:

I don't see the problem. Especially with Supes and WW , I mean it's good to have fun with someone you don't have to worry about accidentally tearing apart lol.

I hate that misconception. He doesn't break every cup he touches or snap every pencil he uses or rip though his clothes when he puts them on. He has fine control over his powers. We all have a range over our strength. Once I started benching 250lbs, that didn't mean I dented my car door when I closed it. He was never going to break Lois just like he doesn't kill his parents when he hugs them. And he doesn't need to have rough sex with her--in fact since he's Superman he's probably not interested in anything less than smooth, romantic love making.

I hate the argument that Superman and Wonder Woman should be together because they can have sex with each other. -_- That doesn't make any sense as I've already pointed out. And it makes even less sense when you realize that sexual compatitbility is not the only thing that goes into a relationship.

I don't like the Trinity hooking up with each other because it complicates mythologies and because it thows off the dynamic of the Trinity. They are no longer three equals who can be objective when they disagree with each other.

Batman: That's a bad idea.

Wonder Woman: Sorry, Batman. I agree with Superman on this one.

Batman: You're just saying that because you want to **** him.

Wonder Woman: Don't act like you don't want to either.

Batman: *Silence.

Superman: This went somewhere weird really fast. Maybe we shouldn't date each other.

Me: Exactly!

Superman: Hey Diana, can you finish washing my shirt and making me a sandwich. I have work at nine.

Wonder Woman: I used to be a symbol of female independence and strength, but sure I'll be your *****. Would you mind giving me more advice about how to do my job better because I'm a woman who doesn't know how to be a superhero anymore even though I've been doing it for 60+ years?

End

#11 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda like the idea of Batman/Wonder Woman.

But Superman/Wonder Woman? No thanks.

#12 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I don't mind.

#13 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5387 posts) - - Show Bio
@Superdork

@WaveMotionCannon said:

I hate that misconception. He doesn't break every cup he touches or snap every pencil he uses or rip though his clothes when he puts them on. He has fine control over his powers. We all have a range over our strength. Once I started benching 250lbs, that didn't mean I dented my car door when I closed it. He was never going to break Lois just like he doesn't kill his parents when he hugs them. And he doesn't need to have rough sex with her--in fact since he's Superman he's probably not interested in anything less than smooth, romantic love making.

I hate the argument that Superman and Wonder Woman should be together because they can have sex with each other. -_- That doesn't make any sense as I've already pointed out. And it makes even less sense when you realize that sexual compatitbility is not the only thing that goes into a relationship.

I don't like the Trinity hooking up with each other because it complicates mythologies and because it thows off the dynamic of the Trinity. They are no longer three equals who can be objective when they disagree with each other.

Superman: This went somewhere weird really fast. Maybe we shouldn't date each other.

Superman: Hey Diana, can you finish washing my shirt and making me a sandwich. I have work at nine.

Wonder Woman: I used to be a symbol of female independence and strength, but sure I'll be your *****. Would you mind giving me more advice about how to do my job better because I'm a woman who doesn't know how to be a superhero anymore even though I've been doing it for 60+ years?

End

Of course he has the fine control to not kill Lois, duh. I'm speaking from the point of having to be gentle with Lois period or having the option to do whatever with Diana.
As far as your scenario where Batman's secretly gay, Supes is a misogynist and WW has her self esteem sucked away says more about how you view relationships than most of us.
#14 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon: Or maybe I exaggerate to illustrate a point and make fun of serious changes in the trinity power dynamic as written so far. SMH.

#15 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

@WaveMotionCannon said:

End

That was a fun read. ;)

#16 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Thank you =]

#17 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

She doesn't have to be single to be an independent, strong character. The women isn't automatically subjegated to sandwich maker and loin pleaser. And when were Diana and Bruce ever in an actual relationship in comics?

#18 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

She doesn't have to be single to be an independent, strong character. The women isn't automatically subjegated to sandwich maker and loin pleaser. And when were Diana and Bruce ever in an actual relationship in comics?

No, but that's the way women are always written in comics when they are in a relationship with an A-List male.

This happened to Storm when she dated Black Panther. It's how Mera and Hawkgirl are almost always written.

That's why Diana shouldn't date anyone in the Trinity. When she does, they always have something to teach her or she has to pine after the man instead of vice-versa or equal teaching/pining.

Heck, in Blackest Knight she was made a Star Sapphire just because she had some unrequited feelings for Batman.

That's why I think Diana should only date her love interest (Steve Trevor) or B and C-list heroes (Orion, Nemesis, etc.)

#19 Edited by War07 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

I rather see Diana stay as a single independent and a strong woman rather than with those losers like steve,orion and the other guys.I can only see Diana with Kal and one else.

#20 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@War07 said:

I rather see Diana stay as a single independent and a strong woman rather than with those losers like steve,orion and the other guys.I can only see Diana with Kal and one else.

So, the guy who looks live a model and who runs a military organization, finds mystical artifacts and advanced alien tech, and does search and rescue missions is a loser. Okay. Sure.

#21 Posted by Franchise1590 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like that Diana is supposed to be taught how to function in regular world by Clark. I don't think she should be some awkward, powerhouse, puppy dog who needs to learn how to communicate with regular people because she's that out of touch with reality.

That's pretty much the basic for their whole relationship: loneliness and unrefined social skills, and I hate that. It's a relationship based on convenience which sucks imo. I'd never want that for myself so seeing that for characters I like sucks as well.

Other people will enjoy it just because it's WW and Supes together but I can't get into it and it makes me cringe.

#22 Posted by Mediumguy (166 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up reading/watching JL, JL Unlimited, and I like the idea of the pinnacle of humans dating the Amazon.

#23 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mediumguy said:

I grew up reading/watching JL, JL Unlimited, and I like the idea of the pinnacle of humans dating the Amazon.

You could say that's Steve Trevor--the soldier, rescue hero, artifact retriever, survivor, leader, head of A.R.G.U.S.

I really just can't see Wonder Woman parading around Gotham with her colorful costume and mythological background fighting Batman villains who couldn't harm her on their best day. And if they were dating, it wouldn't make sense for Bruce to tell her to stay away. I also can't see Hippolyta approving of Batman.

And again, it would throw off the power/equality dynamic of the Trinity.

@Franchise1590 said:

I don't like that Diana is supposed to be taught how to function in regular world by Clark. I don't think she should be some awkward, powerhouse, puppy dog who needs to learn how to communicate with regular people because she's that out of touch with reality.

That's pretty much the basic for their whole relationship: loneliness and unrefined social skills, and I hate that. It's a relationship based on convenience which sucks imo. I'd never want that for myself so seeing that for characters I like sucks as well.

Other people will enjoy it just because it's WW and Supes together but I can't get into it and it makes me cringe.

Exactly. Clark is dating her even though he wants Lois. And Diana is on the rebound and confused. Such a healthy relationship.

#24 Posted by redhoodnet (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Is what it is....

It makes sense based on what the two are going through...

Batman can not relate to WW because he is still a normal human. That is why they are a good fit for each other!

#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I've said it before, I'll say it again, as it still holds totally true;  

Only morons like Superman and Wonder Woman together.

#26 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This.

And I hate the idea of Batman and her getting involved too.

#27 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This.

And I hate the idea of Batman and her getting involved too.

Understandable, but unlike Superman/WW, Bruce and Diana has actually been written well and makes sense. Liking or not liking it just comes down to personal preference then, but Supes/WW is just terrible. Terribly written. Terrible idea, and liked by terrible people.
#28 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Franchise1590 said:

I like you. You have a brain. 
#29 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

i take it as it is...you work with someone and try to understand one another in order to increase your teamwork and trust,you are bound to feel something with atleast one of them,someone you connect with...IMO,this comes as inevitable...

for supes and WW,both alien to this world they protect,

#30 Posted by War07 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork: Well none of those guys are on the level of Superman who protect the entire earth!!

#31 Posted by darkman61288 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

For me it depends on the medium. In Elseworld stories or a far future tale, I would say SM/WW. In other media like movies I would say BM/WW romance because the GP likes contrasting relationships. In the comics I would like BM/WW relationship,

#32 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

not necessarily saying I'm against WW x Superman but I agree with OP's logic.

It's like if a team has 3 members, and 2 of them start dating. Suddenly it's not a team, it's a couple and a random 3rd person tagging along, At least that's what it feels like. The dynamics of a team are lost.

"in fact since he's Superman he's probably not interested in anything less than smooth, romantic love making."

lol what

#33 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see Bruce and Kal together. It's written, it's destiny!... I kid, I kid... You know, watching the JLA animated series made me believe that Batman/WW could be an interesting couple, nevertheless, I don't mind Supes being with WW, as much as it bothers me Klark not being with Lois. But that's just me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.