Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Which should be the Justice League founder: Martian Manhunter or Cyborg?

• 87 results
    Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By BlueLantern1995

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By YoggSaron

Because of the ongoing unnecessary conflict between the two fanbases I'm going to say: Neither. Kill them both.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrShway88

This is really close.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg

Cyborg brings more to the team than Martian Manhunter. Also, MM has overlapping themes with Superman, and they're sure not going to cut Superman.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@fodigg said:

Cyborg brings more to the team than Martian Manhunter. Also, MM has overlapping themes with Superman, and they're sure not going to cut Superman.

Exactly. Well said. Also, I'm really growing more interested in the Red Room and its connection to the Black Room and Steve Trevor. I think that Cyborg's supporting cast could be really interesting.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Twentyfive

I agree with fodigg and OutlawRenegade.

But I am getting annoyed that this fight rages on.

I also feel that this thread was created just to generate hatred for either character, and start a flame war, and I'm not going to take place in it. People on the internet, I swear.

This just in: MMH is now in the JLA book coming out next year. Butthurt old gasbag comic readers can now shut up about his exclusion from the team of A-listers. If you can't do that, then you are truly pathetic.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JohnnyGat

MM for nostalgia purposes and Cyborg for diversity (and by diversity I don't mean Cyborgs race). So all in all I choose C.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Superdork

@Twentyfive said:

I agree with fodigg and OutlawRenegade.

Same

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@fodigg: he brings jack to the team. you mean the little boom tube thingy he used only once and was a plot device? mm yeah they can get one easy. tech guy? they got batman and MM could fill that plus telepathy.

4_color_image

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 4_color_image

Manhunter please

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By fodigg

@JohnnyWalker said:

@fodigg: he brings jack to the team. you mean the little boom tube thingy he used only once and was a plot device? mm yeah they can get one easy. tech guy? they got batman and MM could fill that plus telepathy.

Thematically, he's a far more modern and distinct archetype.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Captain13

@JohnnyWalker said:

I love that argument. You do know that Cyborg is FAR better at tech than Batman. But if just having a power is a requirement and not your skill with it then you run into several issues, friend.

According to Your Formal Logic:

1. If Superman has Super Speed, then Flash is obsolete

2. If Wonder Woman has wealth and a tactical mind, then Batman is obsolete

3. If Aquaman has telepathy, then Martian Manhunter is obsolete

4. If Green Lantern can communicate with all life using his ring and if he can survive in any environment, then Aquaman is obsolete.

5. If Superman has Super Strength and Flight, then Wonder Woman is obsolete

6. If Wonder Woman has Super Strength and Flight, then Superman is obsolete

7. If Superman can fly in space, then Green lantern is obsolete.

Your logic is flawed because by using it we can deduce that every member of the Justice League is obsolete.

You're just a hater--nothing wrong with that. Just own up to it and stop trying to pretend that you have logic on your side.

Did you see Avengers? Having Black Widow on the team didn't mean that Captain America should be off the team.

Cyborg has access to everything on every computer on the planet--even alien computers. That makes him nearly omnipotent--take that! Cyborg can teleport--take that! He can assimilate any technolgy he wants including Amazo's ability to mimic powers, the Atom's ability to shrink, etc. He's the god of the machine. He could probably open a boom tube in your chest and kill you from the inside out if he wanted to.

He's extemely useful. Stop trying to misinform the masses, JohnnyWalker. You're not good at it.

I'm so tired of the haters. He's only been on the Justice League for 11 issues. And he hasn't crossed over with any DC titles or been given his own title. He hardly even gets any spotlight in the title that he's in. Give the character some time to grow. Please!

Batman and Superman got decade of development (in the golden, silver, bronze, etc. ages) before they became the characters that they are now. Let's at least give Cyborg a couple more years of stories.

Cyborg is not the first character to be written into a team's history (Wolverine, Vulcan, Ultimate Storm, Shazam, Wiccan, Speed, etc.) and he's not the first character to have his entire continuity changed (Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc.). And he's not the first character to be added for diversity (Black Nick Fury, John Stewart, Aqualad). Let's just move on and enjoy the stories for now. It doesn't need to be the same thing all the time.

Please, fans on both sides--let's stop the fighting. I'm begging you. Please stop.

Sorry about the bolds and size changes, but I want to emphasize my points.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@Captain13: you want me to admit i dont like him? i wont do that because i like him. AS A TITAN. NOTHING MORE. HE IS NOT LEAGUER! nice how you ignored the fact that he was just a plot device. ill skip over your childish attempt to dismiss my logic, that should be aimed at DC not me. you say he has access to every computer on the planet (free p*rn for the whole league? whats the purpose of this?)? my answer: so? so does batman in a little tiny eye lense. you say he has teleportation? yeah every 1 thousand jumps and they port to apokolips. they could just as easily modified a mother box or something. and really do they need it? are they planning that many hikes across galaxies? NOPE. all of them can fast travel. they dont need him. new cyborg cant mimic amazo because we havent even seen new amazo!! now whos misleading the 'masses'? 'god of machines' ? pfff tell that to brainiac and a thousand better others. so yeah you GOT SERVED! FEEL THE BURN!

as for your other comments: the characters you mentioned were awesome characters others were unique. hes like the thousand cyborg guy. and diversity DOES NOT EQUAL GOOD. and about enjoying the stories.... HE HASNT DONE JACK after the first arc where HE WAS A PLOT DEVICE! this just shows he is not league material, he could just as easily be a guy at home with awesome computer skills helping ocassionally the league like snapper was. instead of the bumbling inexperienced noob he is. at the end of the day he is a token and a poor one at that shoved down our throats for diversity's sake. MM beats the living tar out of your god of machines (what a lame title by the way) in every way.

end note: cyborg SUCKS! mm ROCKS!

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Superdork

@JohnnyWalker: SMH. Take your ball and go home. You're not making ANY logical sense. Clear your head and come back with a logical answer. Right now you're confusing logic with emotions and nonsense.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@Superdork: look bro. i have nothing against you, so STFU. dont try to treat me like a child or call my opinnion hateful. its what they are. opinnions. you dont like them

No Caption Provided
    OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@JohnnyWalker said:

@Superdork: look bro. i have nothing against you, so STFU. dont try to treat me like a child or call my opinnion hateful. its what they are. opinnions. you dont like them

No Caption Provided

You need to take it down a few notches, bruh. Watch your language. Your fanboyism is showing.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@OutlawRenegade: no fanboy here. and what i said to superdork, same to you.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@JohnnyWalker: You trollin' bro?

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@OutlawRenegade: oh stop trying to appear mature. you're annoying me.

BushidoBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BushidoBlack

@fodigg said:

This

It's that simple.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#21  Edited By TheCannon

There is no way ANYONE using common sense would vote for Cyborg.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BatteredArmor

@fodigg said:

this

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Captain13

I'm not at all worried by threads like this.

1)Warner Brothers has had a strong involvement in the Justice League franchise since Diane Nelson took over.

2)Geoff Johns is Chief Creative Officer, he's good at his job, and he loves Cyborg.

3)Warner has been purposefully promoting Cyborg as a member of the Justice League across all platforms (Justice League Doom, Justice League Earth's Final Defense, New52, InJustice, Lego Batman 2, The Upcoming Flashpoint film, Lego: Piece of the Resistance, Smallville, The Robot Chicken DC Special, etc.) so that people will be prepared to see him in a Justice League movie that they are currently looking for a director to helm. They are not about to do an about face and waste all of that investment money. (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056432) Martian Manhunter has only been on JL, JLU, Smallville, and The Batman.

4)Black Widow and Hawkeye replaced Hank and Janet Pym in the Avengers. A lot of people complained before the movie came out. No one is complaining now.

5)The Avengers movie turned Black Widow and Hawkeye into stars even though they didn't have their own lead in films. I expect the same for Cyborg.

6)A Justice League with no human racial minorities would have big complaints after so many people wrongly think that WB whitewashed Green Lantern. There is no way they would make anyone other than Hal Jordan the Green Lantern in a Justice League movie since WB has heavily invested in his brand (Green Lantern, Green Lantern: The Animated Series).

7) DC has only rebooted their universe twice in 75 years. They're not about to reboot it again anytime soon.

8)Cyborg is a prominent symbol in WB's We Can Be Heroes campaign for Africa

Cyborg's brand has been too strongly invested in to turn back the clock. It's no longer just in DC's hands.

Whine on Martian Manhunter fans. Nothing is going to change anytime soon.

P.S. Your character is still playing a big role in the DCU.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By AtPhantom

@Captain13 said:

7) DC has only rebooted their universe twice in 75 years. They're not about to reboot it again anytime soon.

Haha, what?

They did it five times since '86. Justice League's origin was changed at least three times in that period (and several times before). Hell at one point they booted Supeman, Batman and Wonder Woman off the founders list. DC loves its reboots.

Also, let me know when Johns decides to give the new Cyborg a personality.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Lvenger

@AtPhantom said:

@Captain13 said:

Haha, what?

They did it five times since '86. Justice League's origin was changed at least three times in that period (and several times before). Hell at one point they booted Supeman, Batman and Wonder Woman off the founders list. DC loves its reboots.

Also, let me know when Johns decides to give the new Cyborg a personality.

Just out of interest, what are all those five times? I gather Infinite Crisis is one but if you're not counting COIE or Flashpoint, then I'm slightly confused

@Captain13: Since when did Wonder Woman become wealthy? Is that mentioned in her new series?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Captain13

@Lvenger: I confused her with Aquaman when I wrote that post. Aquaman is incredibly wealthy from treasure he has lying around.

Maybe Wonder Woman has a similar deal? I don't know where her disposable income currently comes from.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lvenger

@Captain13: She was living in a nice place in London in her first issue. The Amazons don't look like they quite have the wealth of their pre New 52 counterparts.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AtPhantom

@Lvenger said:

Just out of interest, what are all those five times? I gather Infinite Crisis is one but if you're not counting COIE or Flashpoint, then I'm slightly confused

I am counting them, and also Zero Hour and Final Crisis. None of them were really major, but they allowed DC to jigger its history and mess with the status quo. One of the aforementioned League reboots happened during Zero Hour, I think.

I'm pretty sure I could come up with other examples as well. 52, for example, also retconned a lot about the multiverse, turning it into what we know now.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lvenger

@AtPhantom: How could I forget Zero Hour? It ended with the universe restarting. Did Final Crisis change much? I didn't pay much attention to its aftermath.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

@Captain13 said:

Martian Manhunter has only been on JL, JLU, Smallville, and The Batman.

Martian Manhunter has also been in Smallville, JL: Doom, Young Justice, Batman: The Brave and The Bold, and The Crisis on Two Earths, and was going to be in George Miller's live-action Justice League film from a few years back. He has also appeared in numerous video games over the past decade like Justice League: Injustice for All, Justice League: Chronicles, Justice League Heroes, Lego Batman 2, and in DCUO. Also where did you hear that Cyborg is going to be in the upcoming Robot Chicken special?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lvenger

@CrimsonAvenger: The Robot Chicken variant of Aquaman has Cyborg in it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lvenger

@CrimsonAvenger: He's in the trailer too. 1:07

BushidoBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BushidoBlack

@Captain13 said:

I'm not at all worried by threads like this.

1)Warner Brothers has had a strong involvement in the Justice League franchise since Diane Nelson took over.

2)Geoff Johns is Chief Creative Officer, he's good at his job, and he loves Cyborg.

3)Warner has been purposefully promoting Cyborg as a member of the Justice League across all platforms (Justice League Doom, Justice League Earth's Final Defense, New52, InJustice, Lego Batman 2, The Upcoming Flashpoint film, Lego: Piece of the Resistance, Smallville, The Robot Chicken DC Special, etc.) so that people will be prepared to see him in a Justice League movie that they are currently looking for a director to helm. They are not about to do an about face and waste all of that investment money. (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056432) Martian Manhunter has only been on JL, JLU, Smallville, and The Batman.

4)Black Widow and Hawkeye replaced Hank and Janet Pym in the Avengers. A lot of people complained before the movie came out. No one is complaining now.

5)The Avengers movie turned Black Widow and Hawkeye into stars even though they didn't have their own lead in films. I expect the same for Cyborg.

6)A Justice League with no human racial minorities would have big complaints after so many people wrongly think that WB whitewashed Green Lantern. There is no way they would make anyone other than Hal Jordan the Green Lantern in a Justice League movie since WB has heavily invested in his brand (Green Lantern, Green Lantern: The Animated Series).

8)Cyborg is a prominent symbol in WB's We Can Be Heroes campaign for Africa

Cyborg's brand has been too strongly invested in to turn back the clock. It's no longer just in DC's hands.

Whine on Martian Manhunter fans. Nothing is going to change anytime soon.

P.S. Your character is still playing a big role in the DCU.

Grand closing

Cyborg is going to be more prominent from now on. DC Entertainment is intent on pushing the New 52 Justice League hard now for the eventual movie. Cyborg will be there every step of the way.

It is what it is. If you gotta blame something, blame Marvel and the Avengers. I highly doubt DC would be this serious if The Avengers didn't do as well as it did.

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Captain13 said:

Martian Manhunter has only been on JL, JLU, Smallville, and The Batman.

Martian Manhunter has also been in Smallville, JL: Doom, Young Justice, Batman: The Brave and The Bold, and The Crisis on Two Earths, and was going to be in George Miller's live-action Justice League film from a few years back. He has also appeared in numerous video games over the past decade like Justice League: Injustice for All, Justice League: Chronicles, Justice League Heroes, Lego Batman 2, and in DCUO. Also where did you hear that Cyborg is going to be in the upcoming Robot Chicken special?

He's on the special Robot Chicken cover for Aquaman #12.

http://www.digitalspy.com/comics/news/a400850/aquaman-12-gets-robot-chicken-variant-cover.html

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AtPhantom

@Lvenger said:

@AtPhantom: How could I forget Zero Hour? It ended with the universe restarting. Did Final Crisis change much? I didn't pay much attention to its aftermath.

FC did mostly minor stuff about the DCU prehistory and the New Gods.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By the_tree

Martian Manhunter.

I like Cyborg as a member of the Justice League, but as a founder, no thank you.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Mercy_

@JohnnyWalker: You need to watch the language and how you're speaking to other people.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@Mercy_: sorry. got a little to heated.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By Gambit1024

Martian Manhunter for me, becuase a) I prefer Cyborg as a Titan and b) I'm a huge fan of JLU.

IF however, it was possible, I'd like to see Black Lightning over both.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree said:

Martian Manhunter.

I like Cyborg as a member of the Justice League, but as a founder, no thank you.

I feel the same way, but as I said, if you need someone that's not MM, I'd prefer Black Lightning.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Cy

@Twentyfive said:

I also feel that this thread was created just to generate hatred for either character, and start a flame war, and I'm not going to take place in it. People on the internet, I swear.

TheMinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheMinister

Martian Manhunter 100%. Definitely stands out in the group.

I like Cyborg as a Titan.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

My God, people just won't let this go.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By the_tree

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

Martian Manhunter.

I feel the same way, but as I said, if you need someone that's not MM, I'd prefer Black Lightning.

I agree with your choice. My biggest beef about Cyborg being a founder is that with becoming one, his great history with the Titans is cancelled out.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

Martian Manhunter.

I agree with your choice. My biggest beef about Cyborg being a founder is that with becoming one, his great history with the Titans is cancelled out.

Exactly. Thinking about The Judas Contract without Cyborg is like thinking of The Avengers without Iron Man. He just belongs on that team, or in this case, should have belonged to that team at some point. Yeah, I'm aware that this is a reboot, but.. I don't know. I guess we can't all have our way.

Has Black Lightning even appeared in the New 52 yet? He was so awesome. His powerset would work wonders for the Justice League.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dernman
    @Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

Martian Manhunter.

Ya I agree. MM should have been a founder and if they did do something dumb as not make him the founder it should have been Black Lightning.. No problem with Cyborg being a member down the road but NOT a founder.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dernman
    @Gambit1024: Black Lightning will be appearing in DC Presents: Black and Blue. It will be with Blue Devil.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gambit1024

@Dernman said:

@Gambit1024: Black Lightning will be appearing in DC Presents: Black and Blue. It will be with Blue Devil.

Well I guess I know what I'll be picking up then :P

Johns said that they're looking to change up the roster anyways, so maybe Black Lightning and Martian Manhunter will join up then. If Captain Marvel's joining the team, however, I think BL's chances are slimmer... I mean, their powers are kind of similar... Well not really... I don't know... Just put him on the team, DC.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dernman
    @Gambit1024: Bad news for you I guess. :/  
    Captain Marvel/Shazam is said to be joining the JLA along with Martian Manhunter sometime in the second year.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gambit1024

@Dernman: Eh. It's alright. I'm not even reading Justice League at the moment, so I doubt I'll be reading it anytime soon... Well that's a lie. That depends on whether or not the man who'll be replacing Morrison on Action Comics is good or not. ...And on what other members will be joining the JL besides MM and Captain Marvel. If Ray Palmer, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Steel, Plastic Man, Big Barda, Booster Gold, Wally West and/or Kyle Rayner have anything to do with the second wave, JL will be a must buy for me.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dernman
    @Gambit1024: Rumor has it that  Andy Diggle (I don't know who he is) will be taking over Action Comics. Can't confirm if the rumor is true or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.