Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3320 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

WHEN IS HAL JORDAN RETURNING TO JUSTICE LEAGUE >:(

• 70 results
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By sethysquare

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

Hal's just a spin character to an extent as well. He isn't the first character. And its easy to have these characters without Hal. Batman and Superman are completely different. They aren't part of the core or one of thousands. Their supporting originate more because of them. And its much harder for them to replace him.

The other GL's are not sidekicks but equal members. If DC wanted to go with another GL and was committed to it they could do so. It all depends on DC. And frankly it wouldn't be that hard.

As for origins I find you could easily interchange the Green Lantern origins for the most part. If anything the movie lessened his origin for me. I mean in the 50's they kept it rather simplistic. It wasn't till the 90's they really began expanding on it.

Hal's gotten the most exposure cause he's the second oldest Green Lantern and Alan Scott wasn't used as much. But just cause a characters gotten more exposure doesn't make him inherently better.

DC's still got to do damage control because of the movie and build Hal up again for a larger audience. So I don't buy Hal Jordan has to be the primary GL.

I also question how popular the GL brand really is. The comics sell okay, but outside of that I haven't seen anything to reflect it can really rival the Avengers or Batman brand.

Theres no damage control needed. The movie raised Hal's profile and despite it having soft ratings, it is still a million dollar franchise.

It didn't raise his profile in a positive light. That's like saying the Steel movie raised Steel's profile or the Fantastic Four movie raised their profiles. Sure they made profits, but the movies weren't hits or well received.

Green Lantern had a budget over 200 million dollar. It made back a litle over 100 million domestically, and a little over 100 million inernationally. Just scraping about a 20 million profit. Even with DVD sales that is nothing to cheer about

Yes it did. Steel movie made very little, but the green lantern movie received huge advertising efforts and huge promotion to it.

They also attached Ryan Reynolds to the movie and it still did make 10 million people watch the movie in US alone. It was no Avengers or Dark Knight success but it made almost as much as the first X-men which means around the same number of people watched the first X-men and green lantern.

There is also an animated series staring Hal Jordon, no matter how much you haters like to believe, GL is a million dollar franchise.

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare: sales for GL are fine right now and he isn't leading. He doesn't star in every title either. Green Lantern's relevancy over the last 10 years has to do with the Justice League cartoon. from 2000 to 2006. Than Geoff Johns just taking complete control of the franchise from 2008 to now. If you want to attribute the sucess of Green Lantern to anyone it is Geoff Johns.

The only reason its selling is because the main GL book has been about Hal Jordan and his arch nemesis Sinestro.

Hal being temporarily gone from the book won't do much drastic changes to the sales. But over a long period of time..... Try killing Hal Jordan and see how the books will sell.

Green Lantern sold like crap for the last ten years before rebirth.

Also don't gimme that crap about it being solely Geoff Johns. He also wrote Teen Titans and Booster Gold but none of them grew into such a huge franchise like Green Lantern did and after all Hal Jordan is still the leading GL.

Take Johns off the book and put some no name writer and see how it sells. Johns built up Green Lantern the rise of the franchise can all be attributed to Johns. Hal Jordan is just the hero he decided to use. The Teen Titans and Booster Gold characters are fundamentally different and aren't really apt comparisons.

Well, then how do you describe GLTAS success. It received more views than Young Justice did.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By sethysquare

@SUNMAN: Also there are more merchandise featuring Hal Jordan than any other lanterns. If he is so replaceable why didnt these other companies make john stewart or guy gardner merchandise?

Are you saying that they'll rather sell something that don't make enough money?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#53  Edited By Lvenger

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Lvenger said:

@sethysquare: How can you not care about Baz? He has a compelling set up, great motivations and an interesting personality. It's only been 3 issues but I already prefer Baz to Guy. He's already a far better character than Guy in my book already. As for the focus on Baz, Johns is trying to front him for his future appearance in JLA. Hal'll get his book back soon afterwards. He and Sinestro have the spotlight already in 18.

yep, it says there fates will be revealed. so if the Book of Black's prophecy means anything, Sinestro kicks the bucket and Hal exchanges his Green for Black.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. There goes my theory that Hal'll be back soon. Still I'm sure Johns has something up his sleeve that'll entertain and resolve the issue.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By HushoftheWind

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Don't do drugs. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are the staples. The Green Lanterns are interchangeable.

This

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@redbird3rdboywonder said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

I hope he never returns. I'd rather have john

Who would then be replaced by Hal once the kids who watch his show become comic age and ask for his return. It's an endless cycle.

Well I'd actually rather have any lantern but Hal

that really doesn't change Outlaw's answer but ok

Well actually Justice Leauge is still being shown so John will still have fans as well

but not nearly as many as Hal. because he's on a decently advertised show on a major nework, John is on the reruns of show that is aired on a nce major network. additionally Hal is the star of his show. John still has the trinity and Flash to compete with on his.

Dang you and your logic let me have my sweet Hal-less fantasy in peace :P

okidokie : )

No but in all seriousness I don't mind if Hal doesn't come back for a while if it gives the other lanterns a chance to interact with the league

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#56  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@redbird3rdboywonder: well seeing as how Guy is being killed off (i think John is too), the only Lantern i see interacting with them is Baz

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#57  Edited By Lvenger

@Avenging-X-Bolt: DC wouldn't kill off all their lanterns! That'd be an absurd thing to do (at least I hope they don't do it). And Baz is in JLA so would only interact with the other League at the time of the Trinity War when he'll probably fight them.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Avenging-X-Bolt: If John dies there'll be hell to pay

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By SUNMAN

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

Hal's just a spin character to an extent as well. He isn't the first character. And its easy to have these characters without Hal. Batman and Superman are completely different. They aren't part of the core or one of thousands. Their supporting originate more because of them. And its much harder for them to replace him.

The other GL's are not sidekicks but equal members. If DC wanted to go with another GL and was committed to it they could do so. It all depends on DC. And frankly it wouldn't be that hard.

As for origins I find you could easily interchange the Green Lantern origins for the most part. If anything the movie lessened his origin for me. I mean in the 50's they kept it rather simplistic. It wasn't till the 90's they really began expanding on it.

Hal's gotten the most exposure cause he's the second oldest Green Lantern and Alan Scott wasn't used as much. But just cause a characters gotten more exposure doesn't make him inherently better.

DC's still got to do damage control because of the movie and build Hal up again for a larger audience. So I don't buy Hal Jordan has to be the primary GL.

I also question how popular the GL brand really is. The comics sell okay, but outside of that I haven't seen anything to reflect it can really rival the Avengers or Batman brand.

Theres no damage control needed. The movie raised Hal's profile and despite it having soft ratings, it is still a million dollar franchise.

It didn't raise his profile in a positive light. That's like saying the Steel movie raised Steel's profile or the Fantastic Four movie raised their profiles. Sure they made profits, but the movies weren't hits or well received.

Green Lantern had a budget over 200 million dollar. It made back a litle over 100 million domestically, and a little over 100 million inernationally. Just scraping about a 20 million profit. Even with DVD sales that is nothing to cheer about

Yes it did. Steel movie made very little, but the green lantern movie received huge advertising efforts and huge promotion to it.

They also attached Ryan Reynolds to the movie and it still did make 10 million people watch the movie in US alone. It was no Avengers or Dark Knight success but it made almost as much as the first X-men which means around the same number of people watched the first X-men and green lantern.

There is also an animated series staring Hal Jordon, no matter how much you haters like to believe, GL is a million dollar franchise.

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare: sales for GL are fine right now and he isn't leading. He doesn't star in every title either. Green Lantern's relevancy over the last 10 years has to do with the Justice League cartoon. from 2000 to 2006. Than Geoff Johns just taking complete control of the franchise from 2008 to now. If you want to attribute the sucess of Green Lantern to anyone it is Geoff Johns.

The only reason its selling is because the main GL book has been about Hal Jordan and his arch nemesis Sinestro.

Hal being temporarily gone from the book won't do much drastic changes to the sales. But over a long period of time..... Try killing Hal Jordan and see how the books will sell.

Also don't gimme that crap about it being solely Geoff Johns. He also wrote Teen Titans and Booster Gold but none of them grew into such a huge franchise like Green Lantern did and after all Hal Jordan is still the leading GL.

Take Johns off the book and put some no name writer and see how it sells. Johns built up Green Lantern the rise of the franchise can all be attributed to Johns. Hal Jordan is just the hero he decided to use. The Teen Titans and Booster Gold characters are fundamentally different and aren't really apt comparisons.

Well, then how do you describe GLTAS success. It received more views than Young Justice did.

The GL movie was a bust and barely made a profit relative to its initial investment. John Carter spent money on advertising to and most people still don't know who he is/was.

the cartoon show is hardly breaking ratings records fr cartoon network. It's not even among cartoon network's top 3 highest rated superhero cartoons of the last 20 years.

Ofcourse Hal has more toys he's been around longer and is the primary Green Lantern. Doesn't mean he can't be replaced if you actually look at things objectively. Obviously he is the man GL and will be for the foreseeable future, but if you dial down the fanboy most will see he is far from irreplaceable.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By sethysquare

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

The GL movie was a bust and barely made a profit relative to its initial investment. John Carter spent money on advertising to and most people still don't know who he is/was.

the cartoon show is hardly breaking ratings records fr cartoon network. It's not even among cartoon network's top 3 highest rated superhero cartoons of the last 20 years.

Ofcourse Hal has more toys he's been around longer and is the primary Green Lantern. Doesn't mean he can't be replaced if you actually look at things objectively. Obviously he is the man GL and will be for the foreseeable future, but if you dial down the fanboy most will see he is far from irreplaceable.

1. you're just lying to yourself. lame.

2. "oh its not the top 3 highest rated superhero cartoon of the last 20 years therefore its not worth mentioning" - please.

3. He has more toys being produced THIS YEAR and LAST YEAR and THE YEAR BEFORE. Not just the amount, of old toys, but new toys as well.

You are just a hater. so I shall no longer be replying to your hatorade.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By OutlawRenegade

The only way a Green Lantern could really take Hal's number one spot in the long term is if someone at Warner or a big wig at DC made that decision. Seeing as how people were confused when John was not GL in the GL film because of one cartoon, DC and Warner are not in a rush to keep changing who the number one is right now. It would be too confusing for many people--and that's bad for the brand. There's a reason for why when you see X-Men outside of comics (cakes, cards, adverts, etc.) they have their 90s costumes and why Superman had his undies on until it became bad for the brand..

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By SUNMAN

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

1. you're just lying to yourself. lame.

2. "oh its not the top 3 highest rated superhero cartoon of the last 20 years therefore its not worth mentioning" - please.

3. He has more toys being produced THIS YEAR and LAST YEAR and THE YEAR BEFORE. Not just the amount, of old toys, but new toys as well.

You are just a hater. so I shall no longer be replying to your hatorade.

you do this all the time. You get overly emotional about people who disagree with your point of view. I'm not even sure you understand what I'm saying anymore, but if we continue I'm sure the flames will start coming. This is why people found it hard to have a civilized discussion with you and probably why you got banned from CBR. You just make concessions and exaggerations to support your point of view and rarely look at things objectively. When you calm down I'll still be here

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#63  Edited By TheCannon

So you don't have a problem with MM being off the League all together, but Hal being off the team for a couple of issues makes you furious? Sure, makes sense (sarcasm).

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By colonyofcells

Martian Jonn is not really the favorite martian of too many people and he is too similar to Superman unfortunately so nobody will really miss Martian Jonn if they don't ever use Jonn in the Justice League ever again. As for Hal Jordan, dc has decided to standardize on Hal in all the media from comics to games and anybody like tom, dick and harry can be used as the standard Green Lantern since all of comics Green Lanterns have boring personalities anyway. Right now, the standard Green Lantern is Hal so just live with it.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mysoulz

@SUNMAN: Couldn't agree more with everything you've mentioned. Well said.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I heard he was coming back soon.....is he?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent: Hal resigned because was being a jerk to the team members, especially with Batman and after the fight between him and Wonder Woman, the team's reputation was tarnished and then not to make things worse resigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Calm down people

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.