WHEN IS HAL JORDAN RETURNING TO JUSTICE LEAGUE >:(

• 70 results
#1 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

THIS JUST GETS ME SO PISSED. WHAT THE HELL. HE SHOULD BE JUSTICE LEAGUE STAPLE.

ITS SUPERMAN, GREEN LANTERN AND WONDER WOMAN!

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't do drugs.  

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are the staples. The Green Lanterns are interchangeable. 

#3 Posted by Oscars94 (2579 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally want to see Simon Baz interact with all of the Earth-based Green Lanterns.

#4 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

Judging by the Green Lantern solicits, before next Summer's Trinity War

I'm looking forward to his return, and I hope he's better written the second time around

#5 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Don't do drugs. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are the staples. The Green Lanterns are interchangeable.

This.

It's been Kyle Rayner in the 1990's, John Stewart in Justice League (Unlimited), Guy Gardner as back-up, and Hal Jordan as the Classic Member.

It really depends.

#6 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

Judging by the Green Lantern solicits, before next Summer's Trinity War

I'm looking forward to his return, and I hope he's better written the second time around

Hopefully. According to Lemire, JLD's current arc will end in #18 and afterwards it'll tie into Trinity War. I'm hoping April is the start of Trinity War, we really need some line wide event already. Hal Jordan needs to return back to JLA pronto.

So according to the image, it'll be;

Superman

Wonder Woman

Batman

Aquaman

Cyborg

Shazam

Black Canary

Zatanna

Hawkman

Green Arrow

Firestorm

Katana

Black Lightning

Elemental Woman

The line up sounds good, all we need is Flash and Green Lantern.

#7 Posted by Lvenger (20653 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare:

1. It's not confirmed what the future line up of the Justice League will be. It's just a teaser of which members could join.
  2. I'd prefer for Johns to wrap up what he's doing with Hal in Green Lantern before he returns to the League. That could take a while given Hal's stuck in the Dead Zone with Sinestro.
  3. Although Hal is my favourite the Lanterns are interchangable if I'm honest.
#8 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: I think its hardly even that considering GA and Hawkman and Katana will be in JLA and Zee is in JLD.

I think its a tease as to what we might expect in the upcoming cross over.

For me I really want Hal to return to JL and star in like 5 books.

#9 Posted by Lvenger (20653 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: What do you mean star in 5 books? That's far too many for any character to have. I hate the fact Batman has 5 books currently. 3 is enough which is what Superman has atm. And Hal's not popular enough to hold down 5 books.

#10 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@sethysquare: What do you mean star in 5 books? That's far too many for any character to have. I hate the fact Batman has 5 books currently. 3 is enough which is what Superman has atm. And Hal's not popular enough to hold down 5 books.

he doesn't have to have 5 solos. but I don't think its that far a stretch for Hal to be in 5 books.

Superman is currently in 5 books and one more upcoming.

He also guest starred in tons of other books.

Hal went from being in 4 different books (Blackest Night, Justice League, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corp) to be in 0 books while Batman is running around 10 different books.

#11 Posted by Lvenger (20653 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Oh you want him to guest star more in the other Green Lantern titles? I don't know that would detract from the other characters. I prefer things to stay separate and for them to cross paths occasionally maybe during a crossover or something like that

#12 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: well, yeah but he could always get his book back instead of giving it to simon baz which i honestly don't care about.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (20653 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: How can you not care about Baz? He has a compelling set up, great motivations and an interesting personality. It's only been 3 issues but I already prefer Baz to Guy. He's already a far better character than Guy in my book already. As for the focus on Baz, Johns is trying to front him for his future appearance in JLA. Hal'll get his book back soon afterwards. He and Sinestro have the spotlight already in 18.

#14 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9172 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is when he comes back to his own series or another Green Lantern series than he will be back on the Justice League

#15 Posted by SUNMAN (7251 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully never

@sethysquare said:

no actually its Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman they are the trinity. Hal Jordan's exchangeable with any other Green Lantern.

#16 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Simon Baz probably won't last for too long in the Green Lantern title.

#17 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13390 posts) - - Show Bio

he isnt.. at least not for a long while. Johns is turning him into Black Hand's replacement remember? . maybe if Baz drops in popularity, we might get him back.

#18 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29509 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Don't do drugs. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are the staples. The Green Lanterns are interchangeable.
#19 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14940 posts) - - Show Bio

He left? didn't even notice.......

@sethysquare said:

I also find it funny how you replaced the character with most fans but not WW.

#20 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13390 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@sethysquare: How can you not care about Baz? He has a compelling set up, great motivations and an interesting personality. It's only been 3 issues but I already prefer Baz to Guy. He's already a far better character than Guy in my book already. As for the focus on Baz, Johns is trying to front him for his future appearance in JLA. Hal'll get his book back soon afterwards. He and Sinestro have the spotlight already in 18.

yep, it says there fates will be revealed. so if the Book of Black's prophecy means anything, Sinestro kicks the bucket and Hal exchanges his Green for Black.
#21 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

To the people saying Hal is replaceable:

You are right, but...

Hal is this generation's Green Lantern

Little kids are already becoming attached to him. When they grow up, they will fight for him. The problem is that the Kyle/Hal/John fanboys keep jocking for top Green Lantern spot. Do any of you think it will ever end? If Kyle wins out, the Hal and John fans will hate. If John wins, we will see hate from Hal and Kyle fans--some of which will no doubt be racist. Nothing will change. Why keep fighting a fight that will never be won?

If you like John and Kyle due to personality, then fine. Fight on. You can either accept your secondary position behind Hal or you can drag this fight out until forever-never really earning your character legitimacy. If you like John because he's the most well known Black hero right now, then cool your jets and see where Cyborg goes in two years. By then I'm certain we will have a new Justice League cartoon with him as a founder. He'll probably get more development soon. Johns said that Throne of Atlantis and The Grid would be important Cyborg tales that will define the character. If you like Kyle because you read 90s stories, then how are your complaints different from the ones Hal fans made? You're just adding to the turmoil. The 90s are over. Kyle is still respected. But at the end of the day he's a replacement, and replacements always get replaced. If you like Kyle because he's 1/2 Latino, then petition DC to get good creative teams on other Latino heroes.

I like how people were talking about Hal replacing Wonder Woman on the Trinity due to his sales and popularity a year ago, but now everyone hates him because of a bad movie and his first arcs in Justice League. Talk about fair weather fans, man. It's sad. Does no one remember how great Secret Origin, Sinestro Corps War, Rage of the Red Lanterns, and Blackest Night were? I know that I may come across as a fanboy, but the truth is that the most well known Green Lantern across all ages right now is Hal. Trying to replace him is sisyphean.

/rant.

Have a good day.

P.S. Hal becoming a Black Lantern is just like him being possesed by Parallax. It will boost the profile of a new Lantern (Baz). It will end. Hall will be more mature and likable. People will miss him. Baz will get his own title. Green Lantern will become a 5 title franchise.

#22 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

-Historical Trinity: Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman

-Sales and Franchise Trinity: Batman, Green Lantern (Hal), and Superman

--My Favorites: Superman, Batman, Green Lantern (Hal), Wonder Woman, and Cyborg

#23 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13390 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

You are right, but...

Hal is this generation's Green Lantern

Little kids are already becoming attached to him. When they grow up, they will fight for him. The problem is that the Kyle/Hal/John fanboys keep jocking for top Green Lantern spot. Do any of you think it will ever end? If Kyle wins out, the Hal and John fans will hate. If John wins, we will see hate from Hal and Kyle fans--some of which will no doubt be racist. Nothing will change. Why keep fighting a fight that will never be won?

If you like John and Kyle due to personality, then fine. Fight on. You can either accept your secondary position behind Hal or you can drag this fight out until forever-never really earning your character legitimacy. If you like John because he's the most well known Black hero right now, then cool your jets and see where Cyborg goes in two years. By then I'm certain we will have a new Justice League cartoon with him as a founder. He'll probably get more development soon. Johns said that Throne of Atlantis and The Grid would be important Cyborg tales that will define the character. If you like Kyle because you read 90s stories, then how are your complaints different from the ones Hal fans made? You're just adding to the turmoil. The 90s are over. Kyle is still respected. But at the end of the day he's a replacement, and replacements always get replaced. If you like Kyle because he's 1/2 Latino, then petition DC to get good creative teams on other Latino heroes.

I like how people were talking about Hal replacing Wonder Woman on the Trinity due to his sales and popularity a year ago, but now everyone hates him because of a bad movie and his first arcs in Justice League. Talk about fair weather fans, man. It's sad. Does no one remember how great Secret Origin, Sinestro Corps War, Rage of the Red Lanterns, and Blackest Night were? I know that I may come across as a fanboy, but the truth is that the most well known Green Lantern across all ages right now is Hal. Trying to replace him is sisyphean.

/rant.

Have a good day.

P.S. Hal becoming a Black Lantern is just like him being possesed by Parallax. It will boost the profile of a new Lantern (Baz). It will end. Hall will be more mature and likable. People will miss him. Baz will get his own title. Green Lantern will become a 5 title franchise.

#24 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is DC can easily erase John Stewart, Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner in the next round of reboots. DC has already dumped Alan Scott into the garbage dump called earth 2.

#25 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13390 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

My guess is DC can easily erase John Stewart, Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner in the next round of reboots. DC has already dumped Alan Scott into the garbage dump called earth 2.

Earth-2 is awesome. just because its not the main earth doesnt mean its a garbage dump.

#26 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Not a good idea. I am a Hal fan, but let's not p.o. the fanbase anymore. We don't want another Wally West situation... Times 3.

#27 Posted by _Zombie_ (10454 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully never.

#28 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Lvenger said:

yep, it says there fates will be revealed. so if the Book of Black's prophecy means anything, Sinestro kicks the bucket and Hal exchanges his Green for Black.

fu6k this shit. its emerald twilight all over again.

#29 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Don't say that. I already lost Wally. I'm not going to lose Kyle, too.

#30 Posted by SUNMAN (7251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

You are right, but...

/rant.

Have a good day.

wha are you talking about? Green Lantern has always been a position filled by multiple guys since the silver age.

Hal Jordan's had big movie that boomed and has a current cartoon. But that hardly makes him this generations Green Lantern.

John Stewart starred as the main Green Lantern in Justice League cartoon from 2001 to 2006. The other Green Lanterns have also made cartoon appearances.

He can be easily replaced because its been established there are thousands. His powerset is not unique. You can plug any other character into his slot and write them accordingly.

Kyle Rayner had successfully replaced him for years. It isn't hard to cultivate a new or previous Green Lantern in Hal's place. He had to share the spotlight with Sinestro for well over a year now

#31 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

@Superdork said:

You are right, but...

/rant.

Have a good day.

wha are you talking about? Green Lantern has always been a position filled by multiple guys since the silver age.

Hal Jordan's had big movie that boomed and has a current cartoon. But that hardly makes him this generations Green Lantern.

John Stewart starred as the main Green Lantern in Justice League cartoon from 2001 to 2006. The other Green Lanterns have also made cartoon appearances.

He can be easily replaced because its been established there are thousands. His powerset is not unique. You can plug any other character into his slot and write them accordingly.

Kyle Rayner had successfully replaced him for years. It isn't hard to cultivate a new or previous Green Lantern in Hal's place. He had to share the spotlight with Sinestro for well over a year now

I said he was replaceable at the beginning of my post, man. -_-

I also said that he'll never be replaced long term. His fanbase is too big. And trying to fight that is sisyphean. Even if another Lantern does replace him for a while--that Lantern will also be replaced. So what's the point of trying to kick Hal out of his number one spot when he will always return to it? Kyle had the slot for 15 years. John had a cartoon for 5 years. Guy and Baz have never been number one. Hal has been number one on and off for decades. He has the highest selling title, the most merchandise, etc. He's had a movie, several games, and a massive multi-media history. And he's one of only 3 Justice League members to have a solo cartoon.

I'm saying fighting about the number one spot is stupid when that will always be Hal's role in the long term. He's the classic. He has the simplest origin story--and it's a fascinating one to boot. Barry's origin on the other hand is pretty boring....

Guy, Kyle, John, Baz--they are all spin off characters. They're like Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, Batwoman, etc. They don't stand without Hal's foundation.

#32 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13390 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Lvenger said:

fu6k this shit. its emerald twilight all over again.

If its of any comfort,

its not nearly as bad as emerald twilight, Emerald twilight had Hal go insane and murder his closest friends. This has Hal's dying heroically and his body ends up being controlled by a Black Lantern ring. But with any luck, Superdork might be right and it'll be temporary.
#33 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

I never though of the Green Lantern as a staple of the Justice League. I always considered Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman the only essential members of the team.  

The reason that I don't really consider the Green Lantern a staple member is that there are four earth members that can fill in the need for a Green Lantern.  

Simon Baz is the current Green Lantern and from the looks of things he is joining the Justice League of America. However, in Green Lantern Hal and Sinestro are still fighting to be something. Maybe Hal will be back or maybe Hal will become a Black Lantern or something. 

We just have to wait a while to see. 

#34 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For all media, Warner seems to be standardizing the image of the Justice League as Clark, Bruce, Diana, Barry and Hal. So we can expect the Justice League comic to have these 5 most of the time.

#35 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

@Superdork said:

You are right, but...

/rant.

Have a good day.

And yet sales for GL has tanked all the way until Hal came back as the lead GL.

#36 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (4237 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he never returns. I'd rather have john

#37 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder said:

Who would then be replaced by Hal once the kids who watch his show become comic age and ask for his return. It's an endless cycle.

#38 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (4237 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

Who would then be replaced by Hal once the kids who watch his show become comic age and ask for his return. It's an endless cycle.

Well I'd actually rather have any lantern but Hal

#39 Posted by SmashBrawler (5941 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad he's gone. Weakest part of Johns' JL (and that's saying a lot) by far.

#40 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13390 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

that really doesn't change Outlaw's answer but ok

#41 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (4237 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Well actually Justice Leauge is still being shown so John will still have fans as well

#42 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13390 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Well actually Justice Leauge is still being shown so John will still have fans as well

but not nearly as many as Hal. because he's on a decently advertised show on a major nework, John is on the reruns of show that is aired on a nce major network. additionally Hal is the star of his show. John still has the trinity and Flash to compete with on his.

#43 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (4237 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

but not nearly as many as Hal. because he's on a decently advertised show on a major nework, John is on the reruns of show that is aired on a nce major network. additionally Hal is the star of his show. John still has the trinity and Flash to compete with on his.

Dang you and your logic let me have my sweet Hal-less fantasy in peace :P

#44 Posted by Dernman (15222 posts) - - Show Bio

I like all the lanterns to different degrees. Kyle is my favorite but I admit that even if Hal is temporarily replaced he will always be the main one.

#45 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13390 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Dang you and your logic let me have my sweet Hal-less fantasy in peace :P

okidokie : )

#46 Edited by SUNMAN (7251 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: sales for GL are fine right now and he isn't leading. He doesn't star in every title either. Green Lantern's relevancy over the last 10 years has to do with the Justice League cartoon. from 2000 to 2006. Than Geoff Johns just taking complete control of the franchise from 2008 to now. If you want to attribute the sucess of Green Lantern to anyone it is Geoff Johns.

@Superdork said:

@SUNMAN said:

@Superdork said:

You are right, but...

/rant.

Have a good day.

I said he was replaceable at the beginning of my post, man. -_-

I also said that he'll never be replaced long term. His fanbase is too big. And trying to fight that is sisyphean. Even if another Lantern does replace him for a while--that Lantern will also be replaced. So what's the point of trying to kick Hal out of his number one spot when he will always return to it? Kyle had the slot for 15 years. John had a cartoon for 5 years. Guy and Baz have never been number one. Hal has been number one on and off for decades. He has the highest selling title, the most merchandise, etc. He's had a movie, several games, and a massive multi-media history. And he's one of only 3 Justice League members to have a solo cartoon.

I'm saying fighting about the number one spot is stupid when that will always be Hal's role in the long term. He's the classic. He has the simplest origin story--and it's a fascinating one to boot. Barry's origin on the other hand is pretty boring....

Guy, Kyle, John, Baz--they are all spin off characters. They're like Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, Batwoman, etc. They don't stand without Hal's foundation.

Hal's just a spin character to an extent as well. He isn't the first character. And its easy to have these characters without Hal. Batman and Superman are completely different. They aren't part of the core or one of thousands. Their supporting originate more because of them. And its much harder for them to replace him.

The other GL's are not sidekicks but equal members. If DC wanted to go with another GL and was committed to it they could do so. It all depends on DC. And frankly it wouldn't be that hard.

As for origins I find you could easily interchange the Green Lantern origins for the most part. If anything the movie lessened his origin for me. I mean in the 50's they kept it rather simplistic. It wasn't till the 90's they really began expanding on it.

Hal's gotten the most exposure cause he's the second oldest Green Lantern and Alan Scott wasn't used as much. But just cause a characters gotten more exposure doesn't make him inherently better.

DC's still got to do damage control because of the movie and build Hal up again for a larger audience. So I don't buy Hal Jordan has to be the primary GL.

I also question how popular the GL brand really is. The comics sell okay, but outside of that I haven't seen anything to reflect it can really rival the Avengers or Batman brand.

#47 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

@sethysquare: sales for GL are fine right now and he isn't leading. He doesn't star in every title either. Green Lantern's relevancy over the last 10 years has to do with the Justice League cartoon. from 2000 to 2006. Than Geoff Johns just taking complete control of the franchise from 2008 to now. If you want to attribute the sucess of Green Lantern to anyone it is Geoff Johns.

The only reason its selling is because the main GL book has been about Hal Jordan and his arch nemesis Sinestro.

Hal being temporarily gone from the book won't do much drastic changes to the sales. But over a long period of time..... Try killing Hal Jordan and see how the books will sell.

Green Lantern sold like crap for the last ten years before rebirth.

Also don't gimme that crap about it being solely Geoff Johns. He also wrote Teen Titans and Booster Gold but none of them grew into such a huge franchise like Green Lantern did and after all Hal Jordan is still the leading GL.

#48 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

Hal's just a spin character to an extent as well. He isn't the first character. And its easy to have these characters without Hal. Batman and Superman are completely different. They aren't part of the core or one of thousands. Their supporting originate more because of them. And its much harder for them to replace him.

The other GL's are not sidekicks but equal members. If DC wanted to go with another GL and was committed to it they could do so. It all depends on DC. And frankly it wouldn't be that hard.

As for origins I find you could easily interchange the Green Lantern origins for the most part. If anything the movie lessened his origin for me. I mean in the 50's they kept it rather simplistic. It wasn't till the 90's they really began expanding on it.

Hal's gotten the most exposure cause he's the second oldest Green Lantern and Alan Scott wasn't used as much. But just cause a characters gotten more exposure doesn't make him inherently better.

DC's still got to do damage control because of the movie and build Hal up again for a larger audience. So I don't buy Hal Jordan has to be the primary GL.

I also question how popular the GL brand really is. The comics sell okay, but outside of that I haven't seen anything to reflect it can really rival the Avengers or Batman brand.

Theres no damage control needed. The movie raised Hal's profile and despite it having soft ratings, it is still a million dollar franchise.

#49 Posted by SUNMAN (7251 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

Theres no damage control needed. The movie raised Hal's profile and despite it having soft ratings, it is still a million dollar franchise.

It didn't raise his profile in a positive light. That's like saying the Steel movie raised Steel's profile or the Fantastic Four movie raised their profiles. Sure they made profits, but the movies weren't hits or well received.

Green Lantern had a budget over 200 million dollar. It made back a litle over 100 million domestically, and a little over 100 million inernationally. Just scraping about a 20 million profit. Even with DVD sales that is nothing to cheer about

#50 Posted by SUNMAN (7251 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@SUNMAN said:

The only reason its selling is because the main GL book has been about Hal Jordan and his arch nemesis Sinestro.

Hal being temporarily gone from the book won't do much drastic changes to the sales. But over a long period of time..... Try killing Hal Jordan and see how the books will sell.

Green Lantern sold like crap for the last ten years before rebirth.

Also don't gimme that crap about it being solely Geoff Johns. He also wrote Teen Titans and Booster Gold but none of them grew into such a huge franchise like Green Lantern did and after all Hal Jordan is still the leading GL.

Take Johns off the book and put some no name writer and see how it sells. Johns built up Green Lantern the rise of the franchise can all be attributed to Johns. Hal Jordan is just the hero he decided to use. The Teen Titans and Booster Gold characters are fundamentally different and aren't really apt comparisons.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.