Updates on DC's Cinematic Future

• 146 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (43553 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeez, I'm on vacation for three days and apparently I miss out on a huge chunk of fairly exciting news... anyway, better late than never, right? There's been so much unofficial banter about the DC films, so it's nice to see Jeff Robinov, the President of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, finally chat about the subject.

For months, we've wondered if Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy would be a part of the DC's cinematic future. Well, boys and girls, it looks like it isn't. Speaking to EW, Robinov said, “I think you’ll see that, going forward, anything can live in this world.” He then added, “[Nolan’s] Batman was deliberately and smartly positioned as a stand-alone. The world they lived in was very isolated without any knowledge of any other superheroes. What Zack and Chris have done with this film is allow you to really introduce other characters into the same world.”

To me, this is fantastic news. Sure, Nolan's films are great and all (okay, maybe I'm not the biggest fan of Rises), but to see that franchise's cast change to a more comic booky tone (super powers and all) would definitely be a bit jarring. Besides, I think this allows for a more "unrealistic" take on Batman and will (hopefully) provide a fresh take on the character. Now, just because they're rebooting him doesn't mean we need to see an origin story all over again. Hopefully they'll take a note from The Incredible Hulk or Punisher: War Zone and wrap up the origin story everyone already knows during the opening credits. This is of course assuming WB does indeed stand behind these franchises, and seeing how much money Batman generates, it's tough to believe they wouldn't.

Additionally, the WB exec says Man of Steel is just the beginning of what's to come from the DC movieverse. “It’s setting the tone for what the movies are going to be like going forward. In that, it’s definitely a first step." Now, does this mean there will be any kind of cameo or easter egg for the Justice League in the film? Only time will tell for that one, but it's good to see some reassurance instead of "we'll wait to see if Man of Steel does well before deciding to move forward!" There's also a big change to the new Superman story -- kryptonite isn't in it. Director Zack Snyder broke the news in an interview and it looks like Kal-El's powers are possibly something he had from birth -- making him unique even on his home planet.

Meanwhile in the world of casting news, it looks like the star of Sons of Anarchy may be able to outrace a motorcycle while on foot. This is still super early and absolutely not confirmation of any kind, but Chud is claiming actor Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy, Pacific Rim) could possibly be the man WB wants as the Flash. According to them, their source says the actor is being used in concept art of the character. Naturally, this isn't flat out saying he is the person WB wants, but it looks like it's a possibility.

Viners, how are you feeling about DC's cinematic future? Do you have faith in WB and think they'll create something that can contend with The Avengers or do you have big concerns? Go ahead and give the comments section a piece of your mind.

Source: EW, Chud, Yahoo! Movies

Staff
#1 Edited by TheJester (178 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Dc comics, but in my opinion Marel will always have better movies.

#2 Posted by mightypug78 (346 posts) - - Show Bio

no kryptonite? impossible, every man has his "kryptonite". expectations of new man of steel has fallen slightly.

#3 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess it make sense since Nolan's Batman was more man than superman, but who else could possibly play Batman? Will it be Ryan Renolds or Ryan Gosling? I remember reading something about one of those actors thinking they'd play Batman in a reboot.

#4 Posted by Ben3000 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want Man of Steel to succeed. I mean so much is riding on this movie for the DC Cinematic Universe. I guess my biggest concern is what heroes and villains will they use to mold this universe once it takes off.

#5 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

No Nolanverse , thumbs up!

#6 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightypug78 said:

no kryptonite? impossible, every man has his "kryptonite". expectations of new man of steel has fallen slightly.

Dude, superman is fighting general zod and a bunch of kryptonian soldiers

Kryptonite in the movie would be extremely pointless

#7 Edited by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, Superman had his powers from birth? Like the potential to have them like all Kryptonians, right? If he isn't powered by the sun, I'm gonna be a sad panda.

#8 Edited by MeloDet (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, has it been confirmed that he has his powers on his planet? I thought all we knew was that he was somehow unique on his own planet. I assumed that he would be a child born out of love on a planet where children are scientifically created.

#9 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

I had heard about the Kryptonite news & was glad (hate that plot device), but I hadn't heard about the "powers from birth" thing..... :( . Not only does that make things more confusing IMO (how will Zod & company have powers then?), "is powered by the sun" is a HUGE part of Superman & his power-set. Nearly everyone who knows who he is could tell you gets his powers from our sun.

#10 Edited by k4tzm4n (43553 posts) - - Show Bio

@melodet said:

Wait, has it been confirmed that he has his powers on his planet? I thought all we knew was that he was somehow unique on his own planet. I assumed that he would be a child born out of love on a planet where children are scientifically created.

No, that's why I said "it looks like." Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

@mightypug78 said:

Just because he lacks a primary physical weakness does't mean he can't be harmed -- physically or emotionally ;)

@kal_smahboi said:

Wait, Superman had his powers from birth? Like the potential to have them like all Kryptonians, right? If he isn't powered by the sun, I'm gonna be a sad panda.

The info isn't solid on this... it just sounds like even on his own planet he was "unique." I'm hoping our sun at least boosts said potential abilities. Here's the exact quote from the article:

"Man of Steel" features a young Kal-El who was something of a special child even on his home planet; in fact, the birth of the son of Jor-El (Russell Crowe) is cause for alarm amongst Kryptonians.

Staff
#11 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

I am actually really behind him having his powers at birth. It makes him way more unique and interesting. There are so many ideas with that.

Maybe the shot him off of their planet because he was different?

Maybe him having powers somehow lead to the cause that destroyed Krypton.

There is so much you can do with one simple change. I'm looking forward to new DC Movies. I really think they should take a few ideas from the DCAM because there hasn't been one that awful.

#12 Posted by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Really looking forward to the Man of Steel movie 1. because I've been hearing about it forever 2. I'm ready for Superman Unchained to start. I also think Charlie Hunnam is a great choice for Flash, he's done some great shows. (love SOA, and Undeclared)

#13 Edited by Akindoodle (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Charlie Hunnam as the Flash? I dunno, he looks more like an Aquaman guy. Barry's supposed to be a rather slender fellow, right?

#14 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

I had heard about the Kryptonite news & was glad (hate that plot device), but I hadn't heard about the "powers from birth" thing..... :( . Not only does that make things more confusing IMO (how will Zod & company have powers then?), "is powered by the sun" is a HUGE part of Superman & his power-set. Nearly everyone who knows who he is could tell you gets his powers from our sun.

Well originally everyone on Krypton had Superman's powers in the Golden Age, when he was just fast, bulletproof, super-strong, and could leap a mile high

#15 Edited by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

I love DC, but Marvel clearly knows how to better market their characters. Who'd have though Iron Man would rival Superman in terms of popularity 6 years ago?

#16 Posted by EscGamer (113 posts) - - Show Bio

If WB acn Pull it off DC movieverse can be an epic thing. I always viewed MArvel as great stories and entertaining, yet I saw DC as very deep, and epic but well see what happens. The problem will be introducing the other characters like Flash and Aquaman.

#17 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

Well originally everyone on Krypton had Superman's powers in the Golden Age, when he was just fast, bulletproof, super-strong, and could leap a mile high

Technically that was because of the gravity difference & a denser cellular structure. They'd all be "normal" on Krypton (and this description implies he was "super" even at birth). But even then, this is obviously a version of the modern Superman (flying, being a key difference).

#18 Posted by mister garbage (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Spell. Check.

#19 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

@smart_dork_dude said:

@lightsout said:

Technically that was because of the gravity difference & a denser cellular structure. They'd all be "normal" on Krypton (and this description implies he was "super" even at birth). But even then, this is obviously a version of the modern Superman (flying, being a key difference).

Actually from what we've seen it looks like he's leaping from the ground in the trailer. Crouching down and then shooting up. Not saying he ISN'T flying, but it seems very Golden Age Superman. Also the S is pretty similar to Kal-L's S

Really a fusion of the modern S with Kal-L's S

#20 Edited by k4tzm4n (43553 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_garbage said:

Spell. Check.

You know, pointing out a typo would be far more helpful next time.

Staff
#21 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

None of that is good news at all!

#22 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a high hope for this movie. I expect it to be way better (in terms of story, especially) and ton of actions than previous movie (Superman Returns). When I first saw Superman Returns, it was good but after that, it bores me. :( That's just me, though.

Man of Steel, show us what you got! I am exciting!

#23 Posted by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio

I will have to see how Superman is going to be first.

#24 Posted by KnightofSteel (255 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm liking the fact Kryptonite will be outta the picture. But this is the first I heard of the "powers from birth" thing. I'll await judgement on that as who knows might be a good thing, maybe shake up the stale Superman mythos, why not. After Man of Steel they really should make a Wonder Woman movie followed by the Flash.

#25 Posted by mksystem74 (77 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOO.... Scott Porter is suppose to be The Flash

#26 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Okay, that makes me feel better, for now. The OP was pretty misleading if that's the case.

#27 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21843 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm liking the fact Kryptonite will be outta the picture. But this is the first I heard of the "powers from birth" thing. I'll await judgement on that as who knows might be a good thing, maybe shake up the stale Superman mythos, why not. After Man of Steel they really should make a Wonder Woman movie followed by the Flash.

all of these. im happy about no kryptonite, but im actually kinda pissed if he doesnt get his powers from the sun. also even if nolanverse batman is non canon id still like Bale to play him.

#28 Posted by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, the super-heavy texturing on the costume is SO distracting.

Why is Hollywood so afraid of smooth surfaces and bright colors?

#29 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'm a little weirded out by that too. If they're going to discard the comic book lore, why not include Nolan's bat universe?

That being said, I'll give it a benefit of a doubt. The trailers have been impressive so far.

#30 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by sentryman555 (771 posts) - - Show Bio

@kal_smahboi said:

The info isn't solid on this... it just sounds like even on his own planet he was "unique." I'm hoping our sun at least boosts said potential abilities. Here's the exact quote from the article:

"Man of Steel" features a young Kal-El who was something of a special child even on his home planet; in fact, the birth of the son of Jor-El (Russell Crowe) is cause for alarm amongst Kryptonians.

I haven't read the article but I'm hoping it's more like a prophecy thing. Maybe it was foretold he'd be the last son of Krypton or even that he'd fight Zod. With Zod being Krypton's general it'd be kind of alarming to know someone is supposed to have an epic battle with him.

Much more excited about the flash news. Glad to hear they're doing concept work now. Hopefully it leads to a Flash movie.

#32 Posted by The_Vein (167 posts) - - Show Bio

SOMEONE GIVE MOVIE SUPERMAN A BELT OR PANTS OR SOMETHING, HE NEEDS TO HAVE THAT ENDLESS EXPANSE OF BLUE BROKEN FOR GOD'S SAKE.

#33 Posted by KINCART (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Can WB make a good Justice League movie? Well let's not forget about Jonah Hex, Catwoman, Steel, Constantine, Green Lantern, and Superman Returns. Clearly they are capable.

#34 Edited by Night Thrasher (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

I want them to be something different. I don't want to see them throw together a Justice League movie because Marvel has been super-successful with Avengers. It's obvious that Marvel had a plan for Avengers and executed that plan marvelously, but DC needs to be different or they'll be the GoBots to Marvel's Transformers.

#35 Posted by Mia26 (145 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightypug78 said:

Yeah, I'm a little weirded out by that too. If they're going to discard the comic book lore, why not include Nolan's bat universe?

That being said, I'll give it a benefit of a doubt. The trailers have been impressive so far.

Kryptonite was not concieved in comics, it was created in Superman's radio show. Also why would Zod and an army of Kryptonians need Kryptonite when they can physicaly harm Superman ? ....

#36 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer the 1938 origin which had kryptonians with powers on Krypton. With less powers like the 1938 powers, there is no need for kryptonite. For the movies, maybe just keep on using kryptonian villains even for future movies. Can use krypton military survivors and maybe later on an invasion from New Krypton colony.

#37 Posted by The Average Bear (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno if "no Kyryptonite" means Superman has no weakness in that way. I think it rather means that Kryptonite won't be a factor in the plot.

I'm super on board with Batman being reintroduced into the new Movieverse as a new Bats (with less pads/body armor hopefully so he can move more). I'm saying Christoph Waltz should play the Joker if it ever comes up. I saw some fan art on Tumblr or DeviantArt of the "concept art"and it fit together greatly.

Plus his talent, man, his talent.

I mean, one can dream

#38 Edited by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is everybody comparing a movie that isnt out yet to Marvel? Its one thing to predict it wont be good, but a sweeping statement like, "It will never be as good..." is silly. Frankly, only one super hero has broken a billion dollars single-handedly, Batman, a DC property.

But I hope DC doesnt go too comic booky, Marvel has the more comicy side covered, i'd like someone (DC) to focus on a more grounded, realistic, grander universe. Follow the tone that seems to be getting set-up in Man of Steel (going off the previews).

Had to add that im glad theres no Kryptonite in this movie. Superman has the most powerful rogues gallery in comics, just continue to put him against the power houses.

#39 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how this is going with the more Golden Age Superman approach especially since this June when this movie and the highly anticipated comic, Superman Unchained, come out will be the 75th anniversary of Superman. I have high hopes in this movie and the DC cinematic universe.

I am also pleased to hear that Dark Knight will not be included. I loved the movies mainly because they were so unique. They took multiple story lines from the Batman comics mashed them into one and gave us somewhat realistic approach (saying somewhat because lets face it. A man dressed as a bat isn't realistic). Plus, they put multiple Scarecrow appearances throughout the movie. However this would be way to odd to be joined up with a Superman movie or Wonder Woman.

#40 Posted by BuNKiTZ (165 posts) - - Show Bio

First the costume horrifies me, and now there's no Kryptonite AND Superman's "special" even amongst his kind... Still, I'll be looking forward to this, I guess...

#41 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Charlie Hunnam is a excellent actor. Thats really good news.

#42 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejester: Ditto! DC has the best comic writers, but Marvel OWNS the theaters.

#43 Posted by Perfect 10 (1052 posts) - - Show Bio

the second thing (besides the dark tone) that has me weary about this movie. no kryptonite? really? that is so stupid. people who are non comic readers are going to be so confused and possibly turned off by that having seen kryptonite in every version of superman from george reeves to the animated series. its not like they can explain to the audience why they made this change. oh well

#44 Edited by fartvader (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejester said:

I love Dc comics, but in my opinion Marel will always have better movies.

Oh please! Not all Marvel movies are that great (Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man 2) even the Avengers is a lil bit Transformer-y.

@mightypug78 said:

This is actually quite good. In this movie it would be really nice to see Superman struggle with winning the trust of every humans. His weakness would be himself trying to save us all from dying lol. Adding the kryptonite in here would be too much imo.

@akindoodle said:

Charlie Hunnam as the Flash? I dunno, he looks more like an Aquaman guy. Barry's supposed to be a rather slender fellow, right?

I agree. I always saw Barry as the youngest among the Justice League and not as muscular as Superman, Batman, and Aquaman. But maybe thats just me (and you.)

@thecowman said:

Man, the super-heavy texturing on the costume is SO distracting.

Why is Hollywood so afraid of smooth surfaces and bright colors?

Maybe they are going for the more metalic costume since it's man of STEEL, idk. but this picture really looks badass. the costume the facial expression.

@reignmaker said:

Because this will be a franchise. Get it? There will be movie 2 and 3. Perhaps in those sequels we will get that kryptonite.

So far I guess the trailers have been proving enough that this movie will be great. So yay for DC Cinematic universe! lol

#45 Edited by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

This is good news. Superhero films from the same company i.e. DC/Marvel should link together and expand the universe, Marvel were very clever to do this first. DC are lagging fairly majorly behind now as all we've seen is Batman, batman, batman, Superman.....

#46 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't need to feature any sort of origin at all in the next Batman film!

#47 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

Charlie Hunnam would make a great flash.

I can also see him as Green Arrow.

#48 Posted by Lvenger (19854 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully we'll get some follow up on that expanded DC Cinematic universe promise. Marvel are steaming ahead in the competition with their films so DC really needs to come up with something spectacular to level the playing field in the next few years. It's make or break time for Warner Bros and DC so I hope they have some good plans to bring their characters onto the big screen.

#49 Edited by MuyJingo (1754 posts) - - Show Bio

Very glad Nolan isn't influencing the Justice League movie. I like him, but don't like his Batman and don't want him nolanizing the more fantastical heroes.

Charlie Hunnam as Flash...huh, I don't see it.

Hoping they get Eric Bana or the werewolf from True Blood for Batman....please not Ryan Gosling....Great actor but just doesn't look the part to me.

#50 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

Really not much news here other than a "possible" Flash movie, and that tidbit was just that...a tidbit. Nothing really provided in terms of a Wonder Woman or JLA movie. Disappointed there wasn't any specific info given. Time will tell I guess....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.