Trinity War..good or bad?

#1 Posted by Bezza (3861 posts) - - Show Bio

...quite fancy the hardcover book of this fairly recent series. I never read the comic series- would you recommend it? I am tempted because Shazam gets his first JL appearances for a bit and Martian Manhunter is back having missed the early New 52 JL stories...

#2 Posted by Farkam (5297 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested in the answers too.

#3 Edited by Jphu8414 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: @farkam:

It's a nice little story that I enjoyed, the ending is a big surprise that ended up making the whole series feel like a stepping stone for Forever Evil (the event that came right after Trinity War

Overall it was a nice mystery story that built up pretty well and it was interesting to see the different teams split up to try and solve it but it didn't amount to a whole lot as you're going to have to pick up Forever Evil to finish out the story. It was a good read but definitely not an essential one. Another note: I didn't find the tie-ins (Pandora, Phantom Stranger, and Constantine) super interesting, not essential unless you are particularly interested in those specific characters.

If you're looking to see a lot of Shazam and Martian Manhunter then I don't know if you'll find them, they were definitely apart of it but not center stage or anything.

#4 Posted by Z3RO180 (6712 posts) - - Show Bio

It quite good yes I highly recommend it

#5 Posted by JakeN7 (13255 posts) - - Show Bio

You mean Countdown to Forever Evil? Lol.

Yeah it's a good story, but was immediately overshadowed by Forever Evil, and since the end of it literally starts the events of Forever Evil, you feel kinda cheated. Like the big event they'd been teasing for 2 years was just a little 3 book crossover who's sole purpose was to setup the NEXT event. Ugh.

#6 Edited by Jphu8414 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: Yeah true that, DC was hyping Trinity War up like a year before it even came out lol....and for me it worked

#7 Posted by TimeLordScience (1422 posts) - - Show Bio

Depending on the price, it may be worth it. I personally don't think it was that great. I didn't like it at all at first. When I reread it a couple of days ago (I wanted to read every New 52 appearance of the Question) I enjoyed it a bit more, but it's still eh to me. Lot's of characters move from place to place and punch each other over a box. Or argue over a box. So the plot isn't very complicated.

#8 Edited by Jayc1324 (13473 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a great story until the end. Not to spoil anything but this was 100% a setup for forever evil. The conflict isn't even resolved at the end of it, and Pandora isn't important AT ALL. She isn't even in forever evil and her storyline isn't finished in trinity war either. She's only important for the first few issues of trinity war. I haven't read it but I'm guessing the rest of her story is told in her solo series. So it's a good read but Pandora isn't important and it was entirely a setup to forever evil, definitely not its own story.

If you plan on getting trinity war you pretty much have to get forever evil too, or you will be left with an incomplete story and a massive cliffhanger that greatly affects all three justice leagues

#9 Edited by SilverPool (2281 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the hardcover quite a bit. I didn't feel cheated by it leading into Forever Evil, unlike some others.

The only issues I really had with it was that the Constantine issue was totally pointless and uninteresting, as well as Pandora and her (visually appealing, but useless) guns.

#10 Posted by Bezza (3861 posts) - - Show Bio

....thanks for the feedback. Its a cracking hardback book with 320 pages, all for £12.95 from UK seller Play.Com. So I may well buy it and then buy Forever Evil later on...

#11 Posted by TimeLordScience (1422 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: That sounds like a pretty nice deal I would say. I don't think it's very good but it might be nice to have in a collection if you're wanting to buy Forever Evil.

#12 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18967 posts) - - Show Bio

It was ok. Felt it had more potential, but it was a set up for Forever Evil more or less.

Shame, cos I'm tired of the giant crossovers. I liked the small crossovers between 1-3 books.

#13 Posted by Jayc1324 (13473 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: Yeah that's good. As long as you are reading forever evil after trinity war is worth the read.

#14 Posted by Farkam (5297 posts) - - Show Bio

It was ok. Felt it had more potential, but it was a set up for Forever Evil more or less.

Shame, cos I'm tired of the giant crossovers. I liked the small crossovers between 1-3 books.

What are some crossovers that are actually good? (DC or Marvel)

#15 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18967 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Honestly, I haven't enjoyed any modern ones. Like Civil War for example? I enjoyed some of the solo tie-ins but the event overall didn't do much for me. Same with DC's events. The big ones are bleh.

Classic ones like Secret Wars though. Really fun. COIE is pretty good too.

#16 Posted by Farkam (5297 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Honestly, I haven't enjoyed any modern ones. Like Civil War for example? I enjoyed some of the solo tie-ins but the event overall didn't do much for me. Same with DC's events. The big ones are bleh.

Classic ones like Secret Wars though. Really fun. COIE is pretty good too.

Alright it's abut time I get Secret Wars. I've been hearing about this everywhere. Only reason I haven't bought it yet is because it costs too much.

#17 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18967 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: Yeah. Its awesome though. Its basically like the battle boards of this forum. "What if x fought x" :P

Doom especially - was a boss.

#18 Posted by Squalleon (4958 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

You mean Countdown to Forever Evil? Lol.

Yeah it's a good story, but was immediately overshadowed by Forever Evil, and since the end of it literally starts the events of Forever Evil, you feel kinda cheated. Like the big event they'd been teasing for 2 years was just a little 3 book crossover who's sole purpose was to setup the NEXT event. Ugh.

This.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.