The movie... is dead...

#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Wednesday evening news reported that the Warner Bros. production of “Justice League,” based on the hit DC Comics super-team, has been officially shelved.

“Warner Bros. has let the options lapse on the young cast that director George Miller chose to play DC superhero staples. The move made it clear that the project is no longer eying a spring start,” Variety writes. Although cast options have been allowed to lapse, would-be cast members have been told the studio is determined to make the film eventually, and with the same actors.

The shutdown follows numerous obstacles that have plagued the George Miller-helmed production, including uncertainty about tax breaks for filming in Australia and questions about the script. Variety reports that “Justice League” producers “like” the script written by Kieran and Michele Mulroney, but that additional work is needed -- work the WGA strike makes impossible.

No doubt compounding matters is the impending end-date of the Screen Actors Guild contract, June 1, 2008. Warner. Bros. would have to begin shooting “Justice League” immediately in order to complete work with the cast before they’d walk off set to strike in solidarity with WGA, which SAG members may choose to do. That producers have let the “Justice League” cast’s options lapse is an indicator that the WGA strike is likely to continue well into 2008.

With "Justice League" indefinitely delayed, Warner Bros. has what Variety characterizes as a "superhero gap" in its schedule for 2009, as the status of the next Superman film is also uncertain.

looks like the writers strike had finally killed the worlds greatest Superheroes...

M

#2 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84652 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats some disappointing news right there.

#3 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

nooo!!!

well at least teen titans won't be cancelled.....right?

starts feeling nervious

#4 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

2 things.

A. Methos is back? Jesus things are going back to normal.

B. DC does this, why get your hopes up? You should know this by now.

#5 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

no news of Teen Titans yet...

but i'm assuming that it will follow JLA into being mothballed

M

#6 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"no news of Teen Titans yet...but i'm assuming that it will follow JLA into being mothballedM"

ok, now you're not my favorite moderator :P

#7 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"no news of Teen Titans yet... but i'm assuming that it will follow JLA into being mothballed M"

You're back! You're really back!

Shakes hand joyfully.

#8 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"You're back! You're really back!"

yes i'm back lol

M

#9 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds about right. Oh well theres always another 20 years of waiting.

#10 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30074 posts) - - Show Bio

This disapponts me.

#11 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

personally i blame lex luthor

#12 Posted by Frisco (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"personally i blame lex luthor"

LMAO

#13 Posted by G-Man (30696 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I'm crazily optimistic but I don't think it's officially "dead." Here's what I've read:

"It looks like Warner Bros. Pictures made the decision yesterday to put George Miller's Justice League on hold until the production can do a script rewrite after the writers strike ends. Reports had said the cast was on location and the crew was ready to go if they had been given the green light.

The site says that the production will have to wait until at least June, but if the writers strike (and possible Screen Actors Guild strike) continue for a long time, it could be much later.

Warner Bros. Pictures had yet to officially confirm any cast members for the superhero team-up movie that is expected to include Batman, Superman, The Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and the Green Lantern."

Who knows.

Staff
#14 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

I do hope they work it out. I just wish they'd offer Supes and Bats to Bale and Routh. It's going to be just wrong to see other people in those roles.

#15 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie would suck anyway. Be glad it won't see the light of day.

#16 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84652 posts) - - Show Bio

Walkingstone says:

"I do hope they work it out. I just wish they'd offer Supes and Bats to Bale and Routh. It's going to be just wrong to see other people in those roles."

Is Roth the most recent Superman? I didn't care for him. Tom Weiling is this generations Superman weather he likes it or not. His agent needs to be shot. How do you pass on Superman, but say yes to Cheaper By the Dozen 2? WTF is that?

#17 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Is Roth the most recent Superman? I didn't care for him. Tom Weiling is this generations Superman weather he likes it or not. His agent needs to be shot. How do you pass on Superman, but say yes to Cheaper By the Dozen 2? WTF is that?"

you speak the truth lol

he's the bloke we want to see in the Superman movies now

M

#18 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"B. DC does this, why get your hopes up? You should know this by now."

This isn't just a DC thing, 2009 is shaping up to be a terrible year for movies generally and 2008 will see some less than great ones. Either the script isn't ready or it's 'okay' but it can't be polished during production as most films do. I read in Empire that Marvel's take on Thor and the Transformers sequel are also affected.

I don't think any of those films are "dead" (others that aren't comic based, may well be as they don't all have big corporations backing them and comics keeping the characters in the public eye), but they will be delayed.

I'd like to see Brandon Routh carry on as Superman too.

#19 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Walkingstone says:
"I do hope they work it out. I just wish they'd offer Supes and Bats to Bale and Routh. It's going to be just wrong to see other people in those roles."
Is Roth the most recent Superman? I didn't care for him. Tom Weiling is this generations Superman weather he likes it or not. His agent needs to be shot. How do you pass on Superman, but say yes to Cheaper By the Dozen 2? WTF is that?"

the dreaded superman curse has struck again... yeah i didn't like routh either, couldn't believe him for a second

#20 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Tom would be a great Superman, but I can't see why you guys hate Routh. Brandon was the most best fit in that movie and kept the truly awful bits like Super-Stalking from making Superman look too creepy. Tom didn't pass on it btw, Singer never offered it to him.

#21 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

after seeing New Frontier, i actually have new hope for the JLA movie...

if they can get the writers and script editors from that to work on the JLA movie, i'd actually give it a pretty good chance of being an amazing blockbuster hit

M

#22 Posted by Kain (197 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god, the movie just wouldn't have been good enough.

They should go the route of the Avengers movie and get each members single movies out and then have the big team movie, not to some half assed version of it.

#23 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

The movies script was based on the recent OMAC storyline, I already read the first 14 pages on the internet. It sounds like it could have been a good movie.

#24 Posted by G-Man (30696 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, there's always...this:

Staff
#25 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't make me hurt you G-Man...

anyway, back to the usual story reporting...

Now that the writers' strike is over, the delayed Justice League of America movie could find a new lease on life, but it will reportedly be a far different project if and when it finally does reach the big screen.

After a complete script rewrite, the film will now be "about Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and others of the Justice League of America, an organization made up of the world's greatest superheroes must deal with the expulsion of Batman and the death of Superman at the hands of the monstrous Doomsday."

yeah... i know what you're thinking... anyway, before anyone starts winging about Common playing Green Lantern in the JLA Movie, chances are HE WON'T BE. The new script actually calls for Hal Jordan in the role of Green Lantern for WB to use as a springboard to launch the Green Lantern movie, which like the JLA movie, is currently going under a complete rewrite.

Rapper Common had this to say at a MTV interview...

"“I would love to say I will be playing Green Lantern,” Common told MTV News. “I pray and hope that it will. Keep speaking it for real and it’s gonna happen. For me, my daughter on Halloween she played Wonder Woman. She was Wonder Woman,” Common smiled. “For her to see her dad up there [next to Wonder Woman] - it would be beautiful but it just doesn't look like it's on the cards anymore.”

So no Batman or Superman? That appears likely to solve Warner Bros.' dilemma about possibly confusing audiences with dueling franchises, and with the recent legal battle over the rights to Superman, where Time Warner, and DC Comics lost quite heavily, it looks like Time Warner will be abandoning the Superman franchise all together, and explains the script revisions that necessitated postponing JLA until post-strike.

JLA will now begin filming in 2010 rather than 2008. Much of the cast is said to have booked other jobs for this year, which makes them unavailable to shoot JLA.

M

#26 Posted by lordraiden (6958 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone actually read through the rulings, or at least the CBR summary?

The judge ruled that some of the contents of Action comics #1 are jointly owned by DC and the Siegel's estate.

This allows the issues to actually go to trial now for contest, and of course appeals.

The ruling has already stated that DC has joint ownership of the character, he is not going to any other company!

TW/DC had joint ownership. The Siegels cannot license anything without DC's permision and vice versa. The most that could possible occur is DC having to cease publishing Superman.

#27 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, i actually got a copy of the ruling in my hand, as i stated in the thread i set about the legal battle...

but this is about the JLA movie, not about the legal crap

M

#28 Posted by lordraiden (6958 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"yeah, i actually got a copy of the ruling in my hand, as i stated in the thread i set about the legal battle... but this is about the JLA movie, not about the legal crap M"

No probs!

#29 Posted by Waver (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least we know who will be playing Wonder Woman. (Megan Gale) I think she will be a fine Wonder Woman. But thats just me.

#30 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

JLA: Back in action?

UK, August 5, 2008 - The Justice League of America's troubled production saga took yet another turn today, with director George Miller telling an Aussie newspaper that the film may be back on.

Last we heard the superhero adaptation had been indefinitely shelved by studio Warner Bros., but Miller told The Herald Sun that whilst production of the film had been moved away from Australia and postponed, the film will apparently "resume filming next year."

We don't know if this is actually the case, but here's hoping the film soon drags itself out of development hell.
#31 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

I sometimes get the though that DC just does this just so when the movie comes outs people will be so eager to see. Sort of a new hype. Anyway, Like I said this just a thought that occurs sometimes, lol.

#32 Posted by John Hancock (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that sucks monkey ballz
& I think Liv Tyler should play as Diana

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.