The Justice League Film Got A New Writer

• 63 results
#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/06/the-justice-league-movie-lives

Recall that a few years ago, WB was going to make a JLA film based on the Tower of Babel story line starring Armie Hammer as Batman, Common as Green Lantern, etc. It was put on ice shortly after its confirmation (because of the budget, I believe). I also recall that it was going to be entirely motion-captured, which in my opinion, would be the best thing for a film like that. Especially when George Miller, the director of Happy Feet was going to be involved.

Well it appears that WB has gone ahead and re-opened the project, although I'm not sure if they're going to use the same premise. It is also unknown if they will build towards it with solo films starring Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, etc. I did hear, however, that Wonder Woman just got a new writer as well, so I'm assuming that hers may be the start the DCCU (DC Cinematic Universe).

The original source was Variety, and they're sources are usually very good, so I don't think this is BS. The minute I hear more, I'll let you guys know.... But I'm sure that if there's bigger news, the site would've already heard by now :P

#2 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

So....A JLA movie without Superman and Batman...Dafuq?

Avenger can survive without Wolverine and Spider-man, but I doubt people are gonna see JLA without Superman and Batman.

#3 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

Where'd you see this?

#4 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@Primmaster64 said:

Where'd you see this?

That's what I understand from this.
#5 Posted by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Primmaster64 said:

Where'd you see this?

He's Superman, he used his supervision.

#6 Posted by The_Tree (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. I hope a good Justice League movie can be made. Following Marvel's lead with solo films leading into a JLA film would be preferred. I hope that means WB will go against what Snyder previously stated and include Cavill's Superman. I also hope they don't follow Johns' new origin, that would just upset me to no end. I know it'd be a lot like Avengers, but I'd like if the movie was about a white martian invasion, that way Martian Manhunter could be included without giving him a solo film. I wouldn't mind Darkseid too much either.

#7 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

If they do a JLA movie...Man Of Steel should se the beginning of the DCCU.

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: I don't think that'll be the case. That's like not putting Iron Man or Captain America in the Avengers. Besides, when they greenlit the project years ago, they had Armie Hammer locked in to play Batman. And, with the Nolan trilogy coming to an end, this would be the perfect way to get a rebooted Batman into play, not to mention a possible change in what Snyder said about his Superman and how it'll be involved with JLA.

@The_Tree: I'm definitely on the same page as you. Johns's JL origin was rushed and kind of uneventful compared to how it was handled in the Bruce Timm cartoon. Hopefully they'll use the original seven, but something tells me that they'll either not use seven members or they'll use the New 52 version of the team (Cyborg and not J'onn). Oh, and I really hope they include Aquaman, who I feel will be the least likely character to make it in a film of this caliber :/

#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024:
If they do a JLA movie...Man Of Steel should see the beginning of the DCCU.
#10 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: I agree, but I'm pretty sure MOS finished up shooting. So unless they sneaked in some sort of indication that the DCCU exists, I fear that we'll have to wait for another Superman movie. That, or maybe the next movie (which by the looks of it will either be GL2 or WW) will reference Superman, whether it's literally showing him, or casually dropping Metropolis or the Daily Planet in the dialogue.

#11 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could see this breaking records like there is no end

#12 Edited by The_Tree (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Yeah, if Cyborg is on the team, I will be furious. I figure if WB makes a good and successful JLA movie, then they'd be more willing to make a Teen Titans movie, and that's where I'd like to see Cyborg on the big screen. I'd also hope Aquaman makes it on the JLA. I think if a movie were done right with him in it, it could boost his popularity and credibility as a superhero, instead of this stigma the general public has where they continue to see him as a joke.

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: To tell you the truth, I'd much rather see a Young Justice film, but if they did go on and make a Titans film, Cyborg would be mandatory. So would Starfire, Raven, and Robin obviously, but if Cyborg should be in any movie, it should be Titans.

And this is the only reasonable shot for Aquaman or Martian Manhunter to be in a movie period. They're two great characters, but unfortunately neither of them are nearly popular to hold their own successful film.... But who knows? Maybe one of them could pull an Iron Man.

#14 Posted by The_Tree (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: LOL, I would love that. To see the general public actually embrace Aquaman and Martian Manhunter would be so crazy, almost like a dream. I think if Thor can be done successfully, then WB/DC should be able to make a good Aquaman movie, same goes for Wonder Woman. I'm not so sure about Martian Manhunter, I don't really see any stories he has to tell that would fit on the big screen. But to see them "pull an Iron Man" and have Aquaman, Wonder Woman, or even Martian Manhunter be a big success would be completely awesome. I just hope this doesn't turn into just another news story and isn't forgotten about, the ball's entirely in WB's court, and I hope they'll shoot and score this time, unlike the complete miss known as Green Lantern.

#15 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome news, but it's too early to really say anything I feel. I hope Man of Steel is included as part of this, so we don't have to go through another Superman movie for this build-up...

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: It would be awesome indeed! The ball's been in WB's court since forever. They've just been too stupid to actually do anything about it. In Green Lantern's original script, the not only had cameos for Guy Gardner, Amanda Waller, and Alan Scott, but they actually had a Clark Kent cameo and an explaination as to why the ring didn't choose him! But no, we ended up with the God awful disappointment, who's only redeeming quality was how Sinestro and Kilowog looked.

#17 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: We'll have to see...
#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: We shall... But if Darkseid's the villain and Superman's not in it, I'm going to be angry >.<

#19 Edited by The_Tree (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I know, I read the original script and was like "this is freaking awesome!" but when I saw the movie I was like "what the **** is this ****!?" A movie should not make me do that. And I don't even know why they scrapped such greatness for what we got. I don't even want to think about it, I can't comprehend so much failure at once. I just hope to God that a Justice League movie doesn't become as much a failure as Green Lantern was, because if it is, we can kiss our hopes and dreams of a DCCU goodbye.

#20 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: if Darkseid is in it...So should Superman.
#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: Yep.

@The_Tree: Well they have to step up now, especially after what Whedon did with the Avengers.

And you know someone at WB is kicking themselves. Not only did they make a successful, record-breaking film with a team of superheroes, but it was because of Joss Whedon: the guy WB turned their backs on when he wanted to make the Wonder Woman movie.

#22 Posted by The Stegman (26065 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG! PLEASE BE TRUE!! 

And I really hope that Man of Steel and the Batman reboot will be the start of a DCCU movie series!!!
#23 Posted by The_Tree (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I know I would be after I let such a golden opportunity slip through my fingers. One thing I think made The Avengers so successful was that in writing, they really had a guy who understood and knew comics. One thing I hope DC/WB does is that they get someone that really understands the DCU (like Paul Dini) to help in making/perfecting the story.

#24 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: The only person I can see making a JLA movie that knows a thing or two about big-movie story structure is Brad Byrd. I'm not sure if he'd do it, but if he was pulling the strings, the JLA would be smooth sailing from there.

#25 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder what the threat is

#26 Posted by The_Tree (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Ok, that's it. We're going down to the Warner Bros. offices, and we're not leaving until Brad Bird is directing/co-writing a JLA movie with Paul Dini that has the original 7 members. I honestly feel that we're more competent than WB at getting this DCCU ball rolling at this point. ;p

#27 Posted by ARMIV2 (8853 posts) - - Show Bio

Weren't they supposed to do this movie sometime back in 2004 or something like that?

#28 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Damn right. I'll wait years if I gotta! XD

@ARMIV2: Yeah, but it was put on ice because of the budget or something. It was supposedly going to be fully done in motion-capture. Beowulf style.

#29 Posted by ARMIV2 (8853 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree: Damn right. I'll wait years if I gotta! XD

@ARMIV2: Yeah, but it was put on ice because of the budget or something. It was supposedly going to be fully done in motion-capture. Beowulf style.

Yeah, I remember that. Even had a dream about it. Would've looked cool...

I wonder what'll be the reason for them not doing it this time...

#30 Edited by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by The_Tree (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read this online:

A pal of mine is good friends with the new Justice League screenwriter and said his take on the team is incredible. Very real-world and not at all what you might expect. WB has a chequered history with their superhero characters. They're great with their boy wizards, but less consistent with their DC stable. But my chum said that this could be a thing of beauty and has been in the works for a little while now, not just an Avengers knock-off. Best of luck to them. The tidbits I heard sound quite dark and mature, which isn't what I expected. But word on Gangster Squad is great too so I feel this is in really good hands.

Link

I hope this means it's good. Although this one I doubt, because it's Mark Millar, and he talks out of his ass a lot.

#32 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is messing up with their movies...

#33 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Dear DC, please don't copy Marvel. It never ends well.

#34 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: ...DAMMIT, WB. I DON'T WANT DARK AND GRITTY. I WANT THE JUSTICE LEAGUE. >:(

#35 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

They'd be stupid not to do this after all the records Avengers is breaking.

#36 Posted by The_Tree (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: LOL. I still refuse to believe it's true, remember when Millar was hinting at Killer Croc being in TDKR? Look where we are now, Bane.

#37 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: That's true.... Just saying, though.

#38 Edited by Spectacular_Iceman (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the only problem with WB is that - now since the avengers has come out, general audiences will call a JLA movie a complete copy of Avengers... I do see a lot of that, but hopefully people will see that it's going to be a completely different movie with completely different heroes - I think people will be more excited for this film because Superman is in it - Not to mention after Nolan's Batman series, people will be excited to see a new-rebooted Batman too. I REALLY hope they use Man of Steel's Superman in Justice League, Snyder has GOT to be denying rumors about his movie not being involved with a "DC cinematic universe"... They just better reboot Green Lantern fast.

#39 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS better start it all.

#40 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Spectacular_Iceman said:

I REALLY hope they use Man of Steel's Superman in Justice League, Snyder has GOT to be denying rumors about his movie not being involved with a "DC cinematic universe"... They just better reboot Green Lantern fast.

I really hope they don't. To be blunt, I want that movie to have its own feel to it, like Batman does. Not just be another superhero movie made to be a crutch for the greater whole. You want a JL movie WB? Okay. Make it stand on its own. Otherwise it will be just an Avengers copy.

#41 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8092 posts) - - Show Bio

Way to early for a Justice League movie. They need to set the stage up for one first. Like Marvel did.

#42 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8079 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! When  Avengers came out, I totally wanted a Justice League Movie! It will be bigger than Avengers if the script and everything is good. 

#43 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio
I read the article and I dont know where you got the idea that Superman and Batman wont be in the film.

@Primmaster64 said:

So....A JLA movie without Superman and Batman...Dafuq? Avenger can survive without Wolverine and Spider-man, but I doubt people are gonna see JLA without Superman and Batman.
#44 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio
I dont think they need to. They can tie it to MOS. Then have spin offs from there.

@BiteMe-Fanboy:

#45 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

If WB can make 7 really good Harry Potter movies, they should be able to do the same for the DC characters.

#46 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I think they're rushing this. DC and Warner Bros are just intimidated by what Marvel has done with The Avengers and want to dish out some of that success right back at them but honestly, they don't even have a cinematic universe built to accomplish that. Nolan's films won't even factor in at all, Green Lantern failed miserably, Superman is yet to be released, and the rest of the Leaguers still need a film to establish their characters.

I'd rather wait another ten years for a good movie, then a quickly meshed together meh movie.

#47 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want this to work out, and I want it to be spectacular. But I can't help but be cynical about the situation. I expect this to either fail, or wind up not happening at all. Here's to hoping I'm wrong...

#48 Posted by Ssmojo24 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a way to make it really cool is to start it off by doing a Batman vs. Superman movie that leads into the Justice League movie. Those two obviously don't need their origins retold and this is another movie we've always wanted to see. Plus, this could establish them coming together to make a team.

#49 Edited by Superdork (914 posts) - - Show Bio
Justice League 9 variant

#50 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Eh, I think they're rushing this. DC and Warner Bros are just intimidated by what Marvel has done with The Avengers and want to dish out some of that success right back at them but honestly, they don't even have a cinematic universe built to accomplish that. Nolan's films won't even factor in at all, Green Lantern failed miserably, Superman is yet to be released, and the rest of the Leaguers still need a film to establish their characters.

I'd rather wait another ten years for a good movie, then a quickly meshed together meh movie.

Rushing?

I thought reports have said that its been in development since last year?

And the script isn't even finalised. No one is rushing anything except fan reactions.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.