The Fate of the DCCU is in the Man of steel's Hands.

Posted by darkman61288 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

According to articule on comicbookmovie.com, the president of Warner Bros. studios stated that the DC Cinematic Universe depends on the success of the Man of steel. So if flops a Justice League film will not likey happen this decade or any other heroes other than maybe another Batman film. This shows how cautious DC and WB are. They took a risk with Green Lantern and it failed. And they are now cautious with their characters other than Batman.

I disagree with that thinking. If MoS does flop, WB should just try again to launch a DC Cinematic Universe. However use Batman, their tried and true character to launch it.

Any way here is the articule: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=73386

what do you think?

#1 Edited by Captain13 (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a financially sound idea after the green Lantern flop. One of Warner's mistakes with GL was that they attached so many projects to it before they knew it would be a success. That's why the toys, show, and other merchandise failed along with the film. They weren't built on a solid foundation. Good for Warner for not making the same mistakes.

This news along with the five character roster rumor built for a character focused film give me hope for this film.

Here are some more hints for Warner:

Despero

or Brainiac

Art by Francis Manapul.
#2 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure that many of us have come to that conclusion already. . . .damn shame.

#3 Posted by t3hLomb (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes sense. Quit pumping money into an idea/franchise that's not making them any money back. I can't fault them for the logic.

I still can't believe that WB can't make a successful movie based on one of the most iconic heroes in all of popular culture. It blows my mind. I really think that if Singer had made Superman Returns a reboot instead of a sequel, that would have been huge.

#4 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@t3hLomb: agreed, Singer had all of that modern tech at his disposal and we could have seen a huge event with him forging his own era but se la vi.

I think that it's funny how these movie guys miss the notion of a "good story" when it comes to anything other than Batman. Would this latest Batman franchise have been a success if the story was something less than what it was?

#5 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Im sure that MoS is gonna be a success! :)

#6 Posted by jwalser3 (4905 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

Im sure that MoS is gonna be a success! :)

They better! I really want DC to have a movie boom like Marvel did.

#7 Posted by TheCannon (18326 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm routing for this thing to be good then. Hopefully it gives us a WW movie.

#8 Edited by drgnx (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern should have learned from Fantastic Four; don't turn pre-existing foes into giant alien space cloud monsters...just don't! When has a giant alien space cloud monster attacking earth ever lead to an end-well movie?

They should also know that asking for effects beyond what technology and produce in quality never ends well either (you either pay too much or it fails). They also messed up Abin's story a bit as well as Parallax and had a corny 2-bit lackey, so they were asking for it. I think MOS is getting back to basics, hopefully it will do well.

If Zod, or anyone from MOS, turns into a giant alien space cloud monster, I'm never buying anything for DC again! EVER!

#9 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

Green Lantern should have learned from Fantastic Four; don't turn pre-existing foes into giant alien space cloud monsters...just don't! When has a giant alien space cloud monster attacking earth ever lead to an end-well movie?

They should also know that asking for effects beyond what technology and produce in quality never ends well either (you either pay too much or it fails). They also messed up Abin's story a bit as well as Parallax and had a corny 2-bit lackey, so they were asking for it. I think MOS is getting back to basics, hopefully it will do well.

If Zod, or anyone from MOS, turns into a giant alien space cloud monster, I'm never buying anything for DC again! EVER!

Didn't parallax sort of turn into a giant cloud monster?

#10 Posted by drgnx (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

@drgnx said:

Green Lantern should have learned from Fantastic Four; don't turn pre-existing foes into giant alien space cloud monsters...just don't! When has a giant alien space cloud monster attacking earth ever lead to an end-well movie?

They should also know that asking for effects beyond what technology and produce in quality never ends well either (you either pay too much or it fails). They also messed up Abin's story a bit as well as Parallax and had a corny 2-bit lackey, so they were asking for it. I think MOS is getting back to basics, hopefully it will do well.

If Zod, or anyone from MOS, turns into a giant alien space cloud monster, I'm never buying anything for DC again! EVER!

Didn't parallax sort of turn into a giant cloud monster?

Parrallax
giant alien space cloud monster
Galactus
giant alien space cloud monster

No giant alien space cloud monsters!!!!

#11 Posted by Vaccine (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern had so much potential. *sigh*

Anyway, I'm liking the logic here. So, I ain't complaining. If MoS sucks, then a JL film will most likely not work as well. However, I have faith that MoS will be up to standards and will not disappoint. Of course, this is all just pure assumptions right now.

#12 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Why was the GL film a disaster?

#13 Posted by darkman61288 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN: Terrible writing, CGI looked cartoonish at times. the list goes on and on.

#14 Edited by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

oh snap...at that time hero movies were a little so-so...i remember Daredevil...didnt like also..

#15 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

Im sure that MoS is gonna be a success! :)

I'm with you there. From what I've seen/read I'm optimistic that MoS will be pretty well received.

#16 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz said:

I'm with you there. From what I've seen/read I'm optimistic that MoS will be pretty well received.

Yeah seeing as they follow almost the same lines as Nolans films, it has success written all over it. Dont fix what aint broken eh?

#17 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

@SupBatz said:

I'm with you there. From what I've seen/read I'm optimistic that MoS will be pretty well received.

Yeah seeing as they follow almost the same lines as Nolans films, it has success written all over it. Dont fix what aint broken eh?

Definitely follow Nolan's talent for inspiring moments in a film. But I don't want to see a dark Superman. Batman is the character who works as a dark character. I want my Superman to be idealistic and upbeat. So long as they don't try to make Superman "gritty" I'm fine.

#18 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed! The only thing i see is "gritty" is his suit! hehe

#19 Posted by roboadmiral (544 posts) - - Show Bio

This is not a good plan. This is the sort of thing they need to go all out on. GL flopped because it wasn't very good. They tried to play it safe and the movie ended up sub par Hopefully the Nolan Batman movies and Man of Steel will teach WB a lesson about getting the very best people they can find for their movies.

#20 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288 said:

According to articule on comicbookmovie.com, the president of Warner Bros. studios stated that the DC Cinematic Universe depends on the success of the Man of steel. So if flops a Justice League film will not likey happen this decade or any other heroes other than maybe another Batman film. This shows how cautious DC and WB are. They took a risk with Green Lantern and it failed. And they are now cautious with their characters other than Batman.

I disagree with that thinking. If MoS does flop, WB should just try again to launch a DC Cinematic Universe. However use Batman, their tried and true character to launch it.

Any way here is the articule: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=73386

what do you think?

Green Lantern didn't just fail. It was a complete train wreck. The fact that they were even able to break even with international sale and dvds is amazing

#21 Posted by darkman61288 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

I am very worried that if DC doesn't get a CU soon the company will be doomed. Geoff Johns claim that reboot and all the stuff that he has done like "the power couple" or the changes to Aquaman and were to gain new readers. But way to gain new readers is to expose your characters. You do this by using tv and movies. Come on how many of us were introduced to these characters by the movies and cartoons. Most of us were. That what Marvel is doing. Those boys and girls who saw those movies are going to read Marvel comics when they get older. I love DC, even though I dont like the direction of it's characters like the mentioned power couple, I am worried that it will be driven into a situation like Marvel got into the 90's. When Marvel was in danger of going under.

#22 Posted by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Unlikely that DC will go under since its parent Time Warner has deep pockets. That's both a blessing and a curse. I can imagine there's probably a lot more bureaucracy in terms of green lighting projects at the risk averse WB. I think Marvel was successful (prior to being bought out by Disney) because of the circumstances you described. Because of that, they were scrappier and hungrier. Survival is a powerful motivator.

#23 Posted by darkman61288 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

@chipsnopotatoes: But WB can either sell off the the characters to different people or groups or just scrap DC completely if they view it as no longer an asset. Like if sales drop a lot and DC cant recover them via a reboot of big event.

#24 Edited by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I heard, even if comic sales go to pot, WB/DC still makes a lot of money on the accompanying merchandise and memorabilia. I don't think WB will let DC go. I don't really understand why DC is so gun shy. It took Marvel several tries before they finally got a great Hulk. They just need to make sure they don't overspend like they did with GL. How do they justify that movie having a production budget of 200MM when Thor and Cap were only in the 150MM range and TDK at 175MM. I only saw the GL trailer but couldn't help thinking green jello can't cost that much, can it?

#25 Posted by darkman61288 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

@chipsnopotatoes: Will see what happens but I hope you see where I am coming from about my worries. About overspending, Thor, Cap and TDK had alot of practical or non-CGI special effects. This may have made them lesscostly. With GL, the characters nature made it costly, the whole power ring and light contructs things. Same with Superman, and Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Their powers make their movies costly to make. That is why a WW film or Aquaman film has not be made yet. Those movies could 200mill+. And they are not popular enough to guarntee a profit.

#26 Posted by FearTheLiving (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have high hopes for MoS (Mainly because I didn't like any superman movie I've seen), but it would be nice if it did well to see a JL movie happen or at the very least have DC take a chance on a Flash movie.

#27 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@FearTheLiving said:

I don't have high hopes for MoS (Mainly because I didn't like any superman movie I've seen)

But that was then, this is now..

#28 Posted by FearTheLiving (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

@FearTheLiving said:

I don't have high hopes for MoS (Mainly because I didn't like any superman movie I've seen)

But that was then, this is now..

I remember hearing that exact quote when Superman Returns was announced. I'll just wait and see MoS hopefully It'll be good.

#29 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (387 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully people actually seen Man of Steel, rather than complaining about it before it was announced, then downloading it free, and finally moaning when DC say they aren't going to make a Flash movie. 
 
The era of DC films being judged infinitely harsher than Marvel ones really has to stop, unless people only want Batman movies for the foreseeable future.

#30 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

agreed !

@FearTheLiving said:

I remember hearing that exact quote when Superman Returns was announced.

oh snap, awesome :D

#31 Posted by FearTheLiving (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

@Markus_Langbourn said:

Hopefully people actually seen Man of Steel, rather than complaining about it before it was announced, then downloading it free, and finally moaning when DC say they aren't going to make a Flash movie. The era of DC films being judged infinitely harsher than Marvel ones really has to stop, unless people only want Batman movies for the foreseeable future.

It's kind of hard not to judge a Superman movie or a Batman movie a lot more then one of Marvels, as its the only kinf DC will put out. If this was the first Superman movie ever I'd probably be so hyped. Hell even if this was any other character that has never had his/her own movie I'd be hyped that DC is putting them out there.

#32 Posted by Manhunter_Prime (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that a JL movie very much depends on the success of MOS, because Superman needs to "set the framework" for the Justice League dynamic. His essence is everything that encompasses the Justice League's goals, and serves as a baseline for the kind of moralities that the other members bring into the picture.

I also thinks its plausible to integrate Nolan's Batman. They will have to bring Bruce Wayne back in another arc, and Warners will have to bite the bullet and pay through the ass to get Bale back, but it should be worth it....

#33 Posted by consolemaster001 (5322 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think DC should be worried. However today's dumbass generation hate almost anything dc related that isn't batman related (no offence to batman fans)

#34 Posted by The Stegman (24017 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm praying to God, Rao, Zeus, and Batman that MoS is a success. 

#35 Posted by SNascimento (441 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, judging from the trailer I'm optimistic about MoS. Though I have to say the music was responsable for 65,31% of its epicness.

I hope they can make a JL film and a WW one from it.

#36 Posted by batman_begins (90 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN: my biggest gripe was jordan being able to save the freakin' planet in... 3 days? awesome. If you're going to make an "origin" movie, don't put out of the big guns yet, yeesh. start small esp. wit the villains.

#37 Posted by TheHulk (799 posts) - - Show Bio

It may not look like it, but Superman still have lots of fans. Hulk sure it won't flop.

#38 Posted by lilben42 (2531 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman_begins: Exactly they picked the biggest villain ever. If they did I don't know Sinestro or someone it probably would have been better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.