So... Who read it?

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by okayla (102 posts) - - Show Bio

I did. 

It was a little uneventful considering it was THE book launching the entire 'Refresh', I was expecting much more than what it was. The story was a little unexciting standard fare, and while I liked the concept of them getting to know each other once more - most of the issue was just generic banter. That said , I found it mildly enjoyable and I'll consider picking up the next issue. The art was a little busy for my personal tastes, but I didn't hate it.   It was like 7 outta 10 for me, which is a decent rating but not quite the ~ magnificence ~ I was expecting. 

#3 Posted by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the fact that Batman and Green Lantern seem a little friendlier to each other. I was getting tired of them punching each other and saying "Now we're even". The whole aspect of the world being afraid of metahumans seems to be at least a little derived from Marvel works and certain Elseworlds stories, but it's interesting enough to get me to buy issue #2.

#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane: Apparently the Hal punching Batman thing is still canon. 

Did anyone read Flashpoint too? I'm not sure how I feel about Batman... He seems too nice. 
#5 Edited by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved what Batman did to Green Lantern in JLA 1. :-P

#6 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a good introductory issue, but I'm already ready for the next one... I'm gonna have to agree with Okayla and say it was a bit "uneventful" considering its the first book relaunching everything.

#7 Posted by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: I read Flashpoint too. It was good, but I think they got rid of Thawne too early into the story. Batman breaking down over his father's letter seemed a little bit strange. I mean, it's a normal human reaction, but it's not a normal Batman reaction.
#8 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

What I said elsewhere: 

Setup is bit strong. It occurs to me that they just left a dangling thread in there that they can build around.

Flashpoint 5 was stupid. How did time get changed? They tell us who changed it, but not how. Why did so and so doing what he did F the U? No clue. Because, of course, it didn't. It'd bad writing.

JL1 was disappointing. I wanted the baddie to live, and get away... here I thought we'd get the first new villain of the new U, and instead we get a stooge. GL/Batman interaction was... fine. "5 years ago" crap is crap. the big VS next issue... damn, they're really hoping to get you to come back for issue 2, right? If Bruce is perpetually in his 30s, then he's ~ 25 now... when did he start Batmaning? I would suspect he's had lots of experience w/ super types by now. but with no historical reference it's very hard.

I almost wish we had a reference to still-in-continuity issues of Batman and GL that could tell us "where we're at."... but if 5 years ago is bad for Batman timing-wise (Well, we know Barbara gets shot 3 years ago so we actually have a fairly good timetable if the bathistory is mostly intact), it looks worse for GL... as I assume this is pre-Parallax, and yet clearly not.

If only they'd said "X years ago"... but yeah, it looks like in all but the bat and GL books, they're ignoring all of history. Way to go continuity! Woo. :/  

Overall:  If I was a DC fan, I'd quit over this.  If the big difference between DC and Marvel is that what happened in marvel REALLY HAPPENED 95% the way it was shown, and DC it happened 100% for 5 years at which point 2% or so happened something like it happened, and the rest didn't... then you can't read DC books as a progressing story, you have to read them as bubble stories where nothing matters.
#9 Posted by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio

nah It doesn't make me want to quit. 
There is some talk at marvel of doing it also. It's just talk by some of the talent at this point but Marvel is keeping a close eye on how things work out for DC.

#10 Edited by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith said:

What I said elsewhere: 

Setup is bit strong. It occurs to me that they just left a dangling thread in there that they can build around.

Flashpoint 5 was stupid. How did time get changed? They tell us who changed it, but not how. Why did so and so doing what he did F the U? No clue. Because, of course, it didn't. It'd bad writing.

JL1 was disappointing. I wanted the baddie to live, and get away... here I thought we'd get the first new villain of the new U, and instead we get a stooge. GL/Batman interaction was... fine. "5 years ago" crap is crap. the big VS next issue... damn, they're really hoping to get you to come back for issue 2, right? If Bruce is perpetually in his 30s, then he's ~ 25 now... when did he start Batmaning? I would suspect he's had lots of experience w/ super types by now. but with no historical reference it's very hard.

I almost wish we had a reference to still-in-continuity issues of Batman and GL that could tell us "where we're at."... but if 5 years ago is bad for Batman timing-wise (Well, we know Barbara gets shot 3 years ago so we actually have a fairly good timetable if the bathistory is mostly intact), it looks worse for GL... as I assume this is pre-Parallax, and yet clearly not.

If only they'd said "X years ago"... but yeah, it looks like in all but the bat and GL books, they're ignoring all of history. Way to go continuity! Woo. :/  

Overall:  If I was a DC fan, I'd quit over this.  If the big difference between DC and Marvel is that what happened in marvel REALLY HAPPENED 95% the way it was shown, and DC it happened 100% for 5 years at which point 2% or so happened something like it happened, and the rest didn't... then you can't read DC books as a progressing story, you have to read them as bubble stories where nothing matters.
I read Marvel stories knowing fully well that most of the characters in the current event will be needlessly slaughtered/put through various degrees of hell for no particular reason in the next event.
#11 Posted by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio
@UpUpAndAway: Not trying to be a nag. I have read it but others haven't so you should spoiler link it.
#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

#14 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
@CitizenBane: Apparently the Hal punching Batman thing is still canon.  Did anyone read Flashpoint too? I'm not sure how I feel about Batman... He seems too nice. 
Is there anyone relation between Flashpoint and the new Universe? Or are you talking about the Batman in the New universe. And let's forget that the Hal punching Batman thing hasn't happened yet, since this takes place 5 years ago.
#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: And that's a pretty good plan in case things royally screw up. Good call about those other heroes you mentioned. I totally forgot about them. Maybe we'll get some insight on that in Teen Titans and JLI. 

@ReVamp: I meant the Batman of this new universe seems too nice. What do you mean about relations between Flashpoint and new Universe?
#16 Posted by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: Flashpoint is the cause of the new universe.
#17 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:
@ReVamp: Flashpoint is the cause of the new universe.
Yeah that's what I thought, but I wasn't planning on reading it. Not really. 
@Gambit1024 said:
@DEGRAAF: And that's a pretty good plan in case things royally screw up. Good call about those other heroes you mentioned. I totally forgot about them. Maybe we'll get some insight on that in Teen Titans and JLI. 

@ReVamp: I meant the Batman of this new universe seems too nice. What do you mean about relations between Flashpoint and new Universe?

NVM. I don't think so, he was focused on what was ahead of him, the events only took about a couple of minutes to happen, so there hasn't been that much interaction between the two characters.
#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: You mean between GL and Batman or Flash and Batman?
#19 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
@ReVamp: You mean between GL and Batman or Flash and Batman?
Flash didn't appear my good man. For Batman to appear mean (by bullying the other heroes sort of) he first needs some time and he needs some familiarity.
#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio

Bout time Batman is nice wheras the others are pricks.

#21 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Great story I think.  Uneventful? Perhaps a little bit but that's sometimes to be expected with new issues of a new comic universe.  Really picked up toward the end if you kn ow what I mean...

#22 Posted by MrMazz (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a opening tease I like it seems new but expected? Wish they had explained what exactly changed with Flashpoint but than again that wouldn't make me want to buy everything. I'll pick up the next issue loving how Batman GL interact.

#23 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Aquaman and Flash get a nice introduction next issue. I'm still not sure what to think about nice Batman. 

#24 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9728 posts) - - Show Bio

That was a great issue but, like others have said, it did seem uneventful for the first title of the revamp and it didnt leave off at a great place....But...

#25 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9728 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yeah!!! My stupid comic shop didnt wrap ANY issues of this title. When I got home I found a smudge on the bottom corner and my hands got it a little crinkled!
I might have to find a new store..!!!

#26 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@buttersdaman000: I know! That part was awesome :) Sorry to hear about your book :/ 

@Primmaster64: That's the best and coolest thing he's done/said in a really long time, lol. 
#28 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed it, though it was just a setup issue. But the last page made me excited to see Supes and I'm not a big fan.

#29 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the fact that it did what it was supposed to do and that is establish what the changes to these characters is going to be yet remained the same. Take for instance Bruce. I enjoyed the fact that they retained his ego in that he clearly believes himself smarter and more prepared than anyone else and that was emphasized by how he talked to Hal. Yet at the same time you can see that this is early in his career because he's obsessed with doing everything perfect and just like he'd been taught (and to this I'm referring to the talk about stealth and surprise he gave to Hal for the green jet) rather than improvising for the situation. At the same time Hal was more in-control and had a greater presence than we've seen of him outside of major story arcs and it was nice to see his constructs have more dimension and little working pieces to them than usual. 

But I think G-man put it best that I almost don't want to read this title until a few issues in because it did do a good job of making me want more and having to stop right when Superman appears almost made me angry that I had to. 

The one criticism I would make of the book is the cover. It's not a very good one given the material inside and I think they made a mistake showcasing the team this early. Its basically an acknowledgement that you aren't going to get everyone in the first book so we'll go ahead and show you them all now. Its a cop out and a clear one. Think the cover would have done better with a more Brave and the Bold vibe with just Batman and Green Lantern on the cover given that the next cover just shows Supes, Bats and Lantern. So this cover really should have been saved until the book when the team officially fights all together for the first time and it would have made alot more sense.
#30 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4732 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Posted by Foolkiller (168 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith said:

the 5 years between this story and the rest of the series is when "all of history" happened. this is pre-parallax and parallax happened within those 5 years, just like the other major events that shaped the dc universe. here's a little timeline for ya: this story arc/orgin story===5 years/ most of the stories that happened after the JLA originally formed in the silver age ===>when the rest of this series will take place
#32 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe: Totally agreed. I love how he's being handled now. 
#33 Posted by moviegeek17 (1482 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not exactly the most seasoned dc reader (unless you count batman) but i enjoyed this issue one, the art was nice and sure it was a set up issue but lets face it this could have been done so much worse by less competent writers. The major downside i have is that i have to wait a month to see the next issue which i think is where this series will truly get made or broken for me but for now i enjoyed it and i'll have to see how next week's launch titles go.

#34 Posted by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

Artwork was fantastic

#35 Posted by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate that we have too wait another month for #2.

#36 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane: indeed
#37 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13175 posts) - - Show Bio

I read it : )

#38 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like it. I just found it uninteresting and a poor way introduce the new DCU. If it were twice as long then I might be happier. I was also somewhat disappointed that we only saw a few of the members of the League in the actual story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.