Shazam To Replace Aquaman In Justice League War

• 115 results
#1 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Negative Thoughts: This is a really dumb change in my opinion. If you replace Aquaman with anyone, why would you choose another flying brick with jet-black hair? Why would you choose another joke-y male? I say this as a fan of Billy who thinks he could be the next big thing. Shazam couldn't just have his own showcase as a dvd extra? There were no other female characters to choose from like Mera, Zatanna, Hawkgirl, Element Woman, Starfire, Vixen, etc? I thought these people cared about diversity or variety? I guess there is a quota...

Personally, I would have added Vixen, Element Woman, or Zatanna instead for variety if I had to, but I'd have likely not even replaced Aquaman and kept the roster to 6. Every joke Shazam makes is a joke that could have gone to Flash or Green Lantern. Now their roles will be watered down and less special. *Sigh.

I don't see why the Cyborg/Shazam friendship is being pushed since Billy is 13 and Cyborg is around 17-23. It's a little weird.

Expect Aquaman to debut in the rumored Throne of Atlantis adaptation--Justice League: Invasion.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?461139-Two-new-animated-features-announced-for-after-JL-War-(They-re-both-Batman!)&p=17328998

Positive Thoughts: Good to see Darkseid's role expanded upon. This likely means that Darkseid's daughter will be revealed in the comics before this movie is released. The voice cast looks good--especially Batman. The jokes seem much funnier than in the original book.

#2 Posted by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

booo

abort the kid already

#3 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6335 posts) - - Show Bio

Uhhhhhhhhhh........

Not sure if I'm a fan of that change.

#4 Posted by Dernman (15093 posts) - - Show Bio

This is dumb. I like Magic Superman but there was no reason for this.

#5 Posted by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a fan of adding Shazam but not at the expense of Aquaman. He needs as much good exposure as he can get and I loved his role in this story. This makes me sad.

#6 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Yeah, I can't believe Johns told them to shove him in there. Will his madness know no end?!

#7 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Nngguahahgasds.

#8 Posted by takuy (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Was that Steve Blum as Darkseid?

#9 Posted by danhimself (22547 posts) - - Show Bio

the beginning of this video with them talking about the New 52 just pissed me off

#10 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm225: Same, but if they make a movie adaptation of the Throne of Atlantis, then I think he'll get some really positive exposure. Problem is, they're using up all their good storylines on animated movies. Throne of Atlantis would have made the perfect Justice League movie, but it's obviously too close to the Avengers.

#11 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by lilben42 (2545 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns needs to stay with comics. Nothing else.

#13 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Why?

He is redundant.

#14 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

So many questions but the one that sums them up is....Why?

#15 Edited by Justthatkid (3913 posts) - - Show Bio

>_< Typical. They said there stuff that they wanted to preserve Cyborg/Shazam really?

#16 Posted by Black_Claw (2988 posts) - - Show Bio

They haven't even bothered touching upon Cyborg and Shazam's friendship in the comics yet so what was the point of shoehorning Shazam in this movie? If they really wanted a Magic/Science friendship I think Zatanna would be a more interesting choice.

Seriously though, after all Geoff Johns has done for Aquaman, why would he just leave him out of this movie? It makes no damn sense what so ever.

#17 Posted by Justthatkid (3913 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: You could always ask why he made a new Aqualad right before the reboot that's nowhere to be seen despite being wanted in the Teen Titans. Or why he mentioned Garth as a youngster or a child in Aquaman 11 I believe. I think he's trying to make Aquaman seem less like a original member of the Justice league like how they took out Martian Manhunter, So they can do this top 5 idea of there's.

#18 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade: Umm where exactly in the video does it state that AQ will not be in this movie?

Because the video ends with 2-3 shots of AQ's best moments in the comic.

And keep in mind that AQ was one of the last characters to be revealed (casting and design) for the Flashpoint Paradox.

#19 Posted by Lvenger (19905 posts) - - Show Bio

Steven Blum as Darkseid? Shazam replacing Aquaman? A forced Shazam/Cyborg relationship? A shoe horned Superman/Wonder Woman relationship? That damn Batman/Hal Jordan antagonism? Ugh I really dislike the sound of this movie despite the good voice cast and sound of improved script writing.

the beginning of this video with them talking about the New 52 just pissed me off

How come?

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33396 posts) - - Show Bio

What a load of crap

#21 Posted by danhimself (22547 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@danhimself said:

How come?

still don't like it...they talk like all the continuity and stories that came before were so horrible and now that it's gone they can finally tell good stories...continuity is only a problem for bad writers and lazy readers

#22 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: He is not in the main cast or mentioned whatsoever.

#23 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade: Yeah and that's exactly what happened with the Flashpoint adaptation.

How are you so sure that he is not in the movie that you made a whole thread spreading a potential entirely false rumor?

Especially since the video closes with some Aquaman moments?

#24 Edited by Lvenger (19905 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Too true man. It's the continuity that keeps readers coming back.

#25 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: Because they would have announced his voice actor like the other founders otherwise--espcially since he's growing in popularity. You don't not mention a character in your film wo could boost sales. And a lot of random images were spliced into that that did not have anything to do with what was being said--like that 1960s Justice League comic. I guess that will be in the film too, by your logic.

#26 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade: Dude, they did the EXACT SAME THING with Flashpoint.

Your post is COMPLETELY SPECULATIVE.

#27 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade: Dude, they did the EXACT SAME THING with Flashpoint.

Your post is COMPLETELY SPECULATIVE.

Actually, all the main characters in Flaspoint--Flash, Batman, Cyborg, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman--all showed up in both the sneak peek and the trailer. The only surprises were minor cameos.

But hey, if you want to believe in something I'm not going to stop you. Just wait and see.

#28 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade: Are you 100% sure? Because if you are not, you are just speculating.

Do you have some extra information other than the above video which again closes with a montage of AQ moments?

Or do you simply base it on this video?

#29 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: Do you have the most basic common sense? This conversation is going nowhere. You don't need to have causal, scientific proof to be correct. Observing patterns for answers is done everyday. Wait until winter if you want to be proven wrong. I will not respond to you again.

#30 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade: I see you avoided to answer whether you can actually confirm anything. Not surprising.

I'll wait and see then when the movie comes out.

#31 Posted by Samimista (20711 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Justthatkid (3913 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the info nothing personal but I hope your wrong.

#33 Posted by knightofthechronicle (689 posts) - - Show Bio

But does that mean that Aquaman will not be present in the movie? All I heard was that Cyborg and Shazam will have this friendship going on along with Batman and Green Lantern and Wonder Woman and Superman, that doesn't mean that Aquaman won't be in the movie, does it?

#34 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightofthechronicle: Of course not.

This thread is only speculation, which should be made clear in the title (but it isn't)

#35 Edited by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is true I wouldn't be shocked. DC is slowly starting to push shazam and I've heard rumors a Shazam live action movie is more likely than an Aquaman.

Aquaman's more unique than Shazam so for story/plot purposes I don't think its necessarily a good idea. I'd probably have gone with Hawkgirl or Vixen if they had to replace Aquaman for some reason or another.

Justice League Origin didn't make Aquaman an essential character he's just there because he's one of the original founders. I figured a 75 minute movie would flush him out a little more and showcase what Darkseid was doing to the World's oceans etc.

#36 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13141 posts) - - Show Bio

and so it continues. first Martian Manhunter and now Aquaman.

#37 Posted by Kwodam (97 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the ideai off adding shazam but not at the cost off the most asesome version off aquaman

#38 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13141 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman said:

@avenging_x_bolt: Martian Manhunter was never in Justice League Origins

i know. i m just being dramatic and talking about the JL overall.

#40 Posted by PowerHerc (83782 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm225 said:

I'm a fan of adding Shazam but not at the expense of Aquaman. He needs as much good exposure as he can get and I loved his role in this story.

Agree.

#41 Edited by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman said:

oh. got it. To be honest Martian Manhunter seems better than ever. At least to me. Taking down Despero solo. Handling Superman. I also like how he bounces around between Justice League titles and Green Lantern. Seems like Johns is setting him up for a big story line. At least I hope he is.

As for Aquaman I think He's getting Justice League: Invasion. DCs been pushing Aquaman too much to stop now.

#42 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13141 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@sunman said:

oh. got it. To be honest Martian Manhunter seems better than ever. At least to me. Taking down Despero solo. Handling Superman. I also like how he bounces around between Justice League titles and Green Lantern. Seems like Johns is setting him up for a big story line. At least I hope he is.

that does sound cool. but i honestly cant bring myself to pick up anything with him in it unless i know the character still has the heart that he used to.

As for Aquaman I think He's getting Justice League: Invasion. DCs been pushing Aquaman too much to stop now.

yup

#43 Posted by Justthatkid (3913 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman: I would of really loved to see the trident Stab in the movie though, imagine how much people not knowing the comic Aquaman would of been stunned by that.

#44 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Stupid. This is the perfect opportunity to get it out there that Aquaman doesn't suck.

#45 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh. They are trying to push Superman/Wonder Woman.

#46 Posted by Bruxae (13866 posts) - - Show Bio

What is Justice League War?

#47 Edited by viin (581 posts) - - Show Bio

No way if they dont have the original 7 then whats the point? Aquaman better still be in this movie.

The only reason I would see them taking it out is if they were going to make some sort of Throne of Atlantis movie and thats how the JL would meet Aquaman.

#48 Posted by RustyRoy (12717 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually glad that Billy is getting some love.

#49 Posted by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

I'm actually glad that Billy is getting some love.

I'm very glad,nothing against Aquaman but if they have the guts to kick out the writer's favorite it means that they're straying VERY FAR from the original which is awesome. Also Darkseid fighting Batson is a lot more believable than getting stabbed by a fucking trident.

#50 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

DC hates white people with blonde hair and blue eyes. Sigh.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.