Recommend me some MMH stories!!!

#1 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not convinced that MMH is a better character for a JLA movie than Cyborg, or even a better character period. As I see it, people came out of nowhere crying some nonsense that MMH was the most important character in the JLA because he got replaced by Cyborg. DC is trying to cater to a broader demographic by including Cyborg in their main seven, but whenever something like that happens in the world of comics, the readership keeps crying and moaning about change, and wanting to read the same jargon over and over and over again. That is my main problem with comics, and why I feel they won't progress.

I want you guys to recommend me some MMH stories. Either stories of his own, or JLA stories where he's the main character. I hope they're good.

#2 Posted by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio

Good luck. There are none.

#3 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13: You are telling me.

#4 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll rank the books I've read from best to not as good.

1. Brightest Day (He had one of the major story lines in this series, it really gets into the mind of MM.)
  2. Martian Manhunter: Others Among Us (What if J'onn's not alone?)
  3. I recommend the entirety of Justice League International, but vol. 5 has the best MM story.
  4. Final Crisis Companion (The funeral of Martian Manhunter.)
  5. JLA: Trial By Fire (What if Martian Manhunter loses his fear of fire? A fun, and interesting story that really digs into the Martian pyrophobia.)
  6. Martian Manhunter: American Secrets (Pretty good, not the best, but it's interesting to see Martian Manhunter solve a mystery in the 50's.)
  7. Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter vols. 1 and 2 (Fun silver age Martian Manhunter stories, no real emotional value, but like I said, they're fun, and they show how MM was originally written.)
  8. Stormwatch (He was never really a main character to the series, but he was pretty badass throughout.)
#5 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Thank you, Mr. Tree.

#6 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

FINALLY. I've been looking for good Martian Manhunter stories. Thanks for making this thread, . I am now hijacking it.

KEEP THE RECOMMENDATIONS COMING.

#7 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive: You're welcome, Mr. Washington.

#8 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: LOL. I like you. You get it. Like only 2 people. Anyway, I wanted to call you Mr. Jerusalem, but an avatar is something that can be changed at a whim.

@JonSmith: You are quite welcome for the thread, but I cannot allow you to commandeer this thread...

#9 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13190 posts) - - Show Bio

There's one where J'onn's cookies are stolen by Booster Gold and Blue Beetle and he goes on a rampage. I'll have to find out where it takes place.

#10 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: what was that story where he was addicted to oreos and went nuts? i remember that one being fun.

#11 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: @JohnnyWalker: Pretty sure it's Martian Manhunter #24. I haven't read any of that solo series, it'd be a pain in the ass to collect all of the single issues, since it was never collected into trade.

#12 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump. Come on guys. Help me out. How the hell can you seriously expect someone to go crazy over MMH, when the best of his stories include some crap about him going crazy over cookies?

You people on this website are HILARIOUS, I swear to god.

#13 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think he has much stories. Those mentioned above are about it. Most of them are in Justice League or Brightest Day (which his story wasn't very good). He doesn't have any good stories in his solo book. None was really remembered.

#14 Posted by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

I dont think he has much stories. Those mentioned above are about it. Most of them are in Justice League or Brightest Day (which his story wasn't very good). He doesn't have any good stories in his solo book. None was really remembered.

MMH has a Solo book?

#15 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

@WDW said:

@sethysquare said:

MMH has a Solo book?

He had a solo book in the 90's that lasted from issues #0-36, a One Million issue, and 2 annuals.

#16 Posted by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@WDW said:

@sethysquare said:

MMH has a Solo book?

He had a solo book in the 90's that lasted from issues #0-36, a One Million issue, and 2 annuals.

oh so I guess it stunk then?

#17 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@WDW said:

@The_Tree said:

@WDW said:

@sethysquare said:

MMH has a Solo book?

Basically. Yeah. No one cared about it.

#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13190 posts) - - Show Bio

@TwentyFive: since when did anyone ask you to go crazy over Martian Manhunter?

#19 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13190 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyway,there's also the Malefic arc from the MM series where his psychotic brother targets him and the entire league for execution, the fernus arc from justice league where he is possessed by a creature from Mars past and basically kicks the entire League's collective asses

#20 Posted by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@WDW said:

@The_Tree said:

@WDW said:

@sethysquare said:

MMH has a Solo book?

Basically. Yeah. No one cared about it.

Now I really want to find some issues of these and read for myself.

#21 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: @JohnnyWalker: Pretty sure it's Martian Manhunter #24. I haven't read any of that solo series, it'd be a pain in the ass to collect all of the single issues, since it was never collected into trade.

Yeah, that's the one. It still ranks as one of the funniest things I've ever read. And that's surprising considering Ostrander is usually such a grim and serious writer. Comedy is the last thing you'd expect from him.

#22 Posted by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

So where did the name Martian Manhunter come from? did he name himself that or was it coined by someone else like the media?

#23 Posted by BushidoBlack (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Hilarious thread.

#24 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@WDW said:

So where did the name Martian Manhunter come from? did he name himself that or was it coined by someone else like the media?

Manhunters were the police in the Martian society, and J'onn was one of them before the cataclysm.

Also in regard to previous questions, yes, his series was actually pretty good and fleshed out the mythos very nicely.

#25 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@WDW said:

Manhunters were the police in the Martian society, and J'onn was one of them before the cataclysm.

Also in regard to previous questions, yes, his series was actually pretty good and fleshed out the mythos very nicely.

Not surprising, considering it's Ostrander. He knows his s###, and if there isn't anything to know, he develops it. I've been progressively going through his Spectre series.

#26 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

Not surprising, considering it's Ostrander. He knows his s###, and if there isn't anything to know, he develops it. I've been progressively going through his Spectre series.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite series ever. I would say that MM was of similar quality to it. Ostrander is a master story-weaver.

#27 Posted by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@WDW said:

Kind of weird Martian Society police would be called manhunter. Is that like a translation to english from there original language or something

#28 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8771 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive:This is his best stories

1) Martian Manhunter:American Secrets

2) Martian Manhunter Special (1996)

3) Martian Manhunter Vol 2 (1998) and issue 1000000

4) Martian Manhunter Vol 3 (2006)

5) Brightest Day

6)Final Crisis:Requiem

@Captain13: what?? are you crazy?? You don't know what are you talking about!!

#29 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@WDW said:

Kind of weird Martian Society police would be called manhunter. Is that like a translation to english from there original language or something

Quite possible. I suppose the Martian Martianhunter would be a bit silly and redundant.

#30 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Thanks Malone. You are one of the coolest guys on this site imo.

#31 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8771 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive: ooo Thank you!! You're welcome and whenever you need help, just ask

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.