Post-Infinite Crisis JLA Question -- Something I never understood

#1 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

In JLA#1, post-Infinite Crisis Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are voting on who should be on the new team, because they want to form the absolutely best team that they can. On the second page of the book, we get to see them voting already. However when it comes to Nightwing there seems to be a problem... In this second page of the book the [relevant] dialogue goes as follows.

WW: Cute, Bruce. But just so you know, there's no way you're getting my vote for Nightwing.
Superman: Merciful Minerva...

Above we see that Wonder Woman apparently doesn't want Nightwing on the league.

Then skip a couple of issues ahead [In page 54 of the TPB] the dialogue is:

Superman: Nightwing. Finally, someone easy. We should Honor him, Bruce.
WW: Agreed. And his hand-to-hand will --
Batman: He Won't come.
WW: What're you talking abou--?
Batman: He Won't.
WW: How Do --?
Batman: I already Asked.

And then the dialogue continues, but its irrelevant to the topic at hand.

The point is that in these two direct instances completely, Wonder Woman states her complete opposite statements. I've thought about this a lot, before I even joined CV, when I first read this and I still can't figure out whether it was just a writing error, or if at first they were talking about full-time and then they were talking about on call leaguers.

I'd post scans of both instances, but I don't have them and I can't find them. It would be appreciated if someone that does, could.

#2 Posted by Deranged Midget (17961 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely bad writing or maybe Diana gained respect for Nightwing. Either way, it doesn't sound like something she would say regardless.

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Most likely bad writing or maybe Diana gained respect for Nightwing. Either way, it doesn't sound like something she would say regardless.

Well, Brad Meltzer wrote it, so while Bad Writing is always an option, I'm not really sure it was that.

Also, it wasn't about respect, because this all happened in the same time space.

#4 Posted by Deranged Midget (17961 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Hmm... either he ran out of ideas, forgot his own writing or as already mentioned and probably the case, bad writing.

I'd have to see the scans again though.

#5 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

Any other takers?

#6 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12580 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest... I always pictured the conversation about WW saying she wont vote for Dick as sarcasm and when he finally came up in the pool she decided to be serious and want to vote him in. It just makes it seem simpler rather than contest or ponder whether or not it was faulty writing.

#7 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

To be honest... I always pictured the conversation about WW saying she wont vote for Dick as sarcasm and when he finally came up in the pool she decided to be serious and want to vote him in. It just makes it seem simpler rather than contest or ponder whether or not it was faulty writing.

Fair enough, I guess that works too, lol.

#8 Posted by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

she was joking.

There's quite a lot of that kind of banter during the story... hence superman's "merciful Minerva", no doubt accompanied by rolling his eyes.

#9 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@superbatprime said:

she was joking.

There's quite a lot of that kind of banter during the story... hence superman's "merciful Minerva", no doubt accompanied by rolling his eyes.

I thought so too... But it didn't quite fit.

#10 Posted by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@superbatprime said:

she was joking.

Agreed and tbh if it causes uncertainty in the reader it's probably a sign of less than stellar writing.

#11 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@superbatprime said:

@ReVamp said:

@superbatprime said:

she was joking.

Agreed and tbh if it causes uncertainty in the reader it's probably a sign of less than stellar writing.

True that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.