Possible Story Revealed for 'Justice League' Film

• 105 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (49886 posts) - - Show Bio

According to Latino Review, screenwriter Will Beale isn't looking at Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's New 52 JUSTICE LEAGUE for the movie... he's looking at older material.

They claim their sources say the screenwriter is checking out Justice League of America #183 through 185. In this 1980's story, Darkseid returns to life, and as you can imagine, wants to destroy all who oppose him.

Have you read this story and if so, do you think it's a good selection to potentially inspire the Justice League movie? DC's team up movie is currently slated for a 2015 release.

Source: Latino Review

#1 Posted by Mucklefluga (2596 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no clue what that storyline is. But then again this is all rumours, who knows what it's gonna be about!

#2 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (531 posts) - - Show Bio

So, basically...this means no Aquaman.....

I kinda figured Darkseid would've been the villain, Starro is just...lame. Darkseid would just provide a bit more of a reason for all of these superheros to actually want /need to work together.

#3 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9205 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad that they are not using the New 52

#4 Edited by ComicMan24 (147108 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't heard about that story before but I am not surprise to hear that it includes Darkseid.

@Mr. Kamikaze said:

So, basically...this means no Aquaman.....

Not necessarily. The story could always be used just for inspiration and even if it was a direct adaptation, they could always change things a bit and include him as well. DC seems to be promoting him lately a lot so I doubt that he isn't going to be in the movie.

#5 Posted by SmashBrawler (5977 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes said:

I am glad that they are not using the New 52

Same here. Origin was terribly mediocre.

#6 Posted by velvetmeds (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Keyword here is "inspire"...it could still be very New 52-wish. An inspiration is just an inspiration. End result is another matter..

#7 Posted by sora_thekey (8180 posts) - - Show Bio

They're actually gonna go with Darkseid even though it's pretty much a given that Avengers 2 will have Thanos?!

#8 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

I read it and I remember liking it but if I remember it correctly it is a huge crossover with both the New Gods and Earth II, and all the characters already know each other so I really do not see how it could be used.

Anyway, I still thing it is way too soon. For obvious reasons, DC should keep Darkseid, ruler of APOKOLIPS and master of the OMEGA Force for a FINAL Crisis in the third movie.

#9 Posted by CrashLanden (122 posts) - - Show Bio

I have and love that issue (above), but they would have to simplify it for it to work (far too many characters for a superhero movie). If they're looking at older material, I would actually like to see the story from #200. It's epic.

#10 Posted by k4tzm4n (49886 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey said:

They're actually gonna go with Darkseid even though it's pretty much a given that Avengers 2 will have Thanos?!

Well, nothing is 100% confirmed right now except for the screenwriter and they want it to come out 2015. Everything else is technically just rumors at this point.

@velvetmeds said:

Keyword here is "inspire"...it could still be very New 52-wish. An inspiration is just an inspiration. End result is another matter..

#11 Posted by kid Apollo (716 posts) - - Show Bio

i love how on the cover you've got Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Dr. Fate, Green Lantern etc all down by his feet. DC's premier heroes sittin back. it begs the question...

who were the plumbers they got to be in the first wave?

#12 Posted by ComicMan24 (147108 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey said:

I can imagine all the "Darkseid is a Thanos ripoff" comments from now lol

#13 Posted by Outside_85 (9648 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey said:

Problem is that their alternative to Darkseid is Starro. (Maybe Despero if they are desperate :S)

#14 Posted by TDK_1997 (15005 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it could work.

#15 Posted by judasnixon (6704 posts) - - Show Bio

They are not really making a Justice League movie. They'll talk about it for a year, maybe a year and a half, and then they'll put the project on hold again.

#16 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

(Sigh) That story is far too big to be the inspiration for the Justice League movie. And I say again Darkseid should be saved for the final Justice League movie. How are DC going to top Darkseid after rolling him out in the first movie?

#17 Posted by AnonymousMC (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I am just frustrated at the fact that both companies have similar villains in both films! Obviously, after the Avengers film I have high hopes but I am not too sure about the JL film. WB's superhero films have been either really good or really bad, and I don't know what will happen with this project. I am a Marvel guy but I enjoy DCs animated projects and movie ventures (the good ones anyway). This could probably go either way for audiences. It just looks too much like they are trying to grab money after the success of the Avengers. I guess we will wait and see...

#18 Posted by Cap10nate (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

How does the Latino Review always report this stuff first?

I don't think there will be that many Thanos/ Darkseid complaints. They don't look that much alike and will pprobably have much different motivation. Sure, avid comic readers will know their connection but since they are the vast minority who go see the movies, I doubt there will be a problem. Plus, who cares if people complain on internet forums, just enjoy the movies and be happy that they are being made.

#19 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe dc wants to use the Justice League movie to spin off a New Gods movie to compete with the Thor movies. A possible Justice League story could be the good New Gods have all been captured by Darkseid like that old George Perez bronze age Darkseid story. So Metron recruits the Justice League to fight Darkseid in Apokolips. At the end, the good New Gods will be rescued and this can lead to a spin off New Gods movie. For a 2nd Justice League movie, the Justice League can fight maybe the Legion of Super Villains and the Dominators so that you can spin off a Legion of Super Heroes movie to compete with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

#20 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited!

Bring it, Warner!!!
#21 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh thank God, no Geoff Johns.

#22 Posted by Azrael66 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice. DC should not fall into the same trap with movies as did Marvel; that is, basing their comics on the movies instead of the other way around.

#23 Posted by Atary77 (78 posts) - - Show Bio

I might be alone on this... but I don't think they should use Dark Sied as the villian.

#24 Posted by MrDirector786 (43616 posts) - - Show Bio

I read that story and never really thought of it as being a good inspiration for a first Justice League movie. Maybe a sequel but I don't know if it could work for the first movie. Still, it's just an inspiration and not a full-fledged adaption so we'll see what happens. Also, I'm still not entirely sure if Darkseid should be the villain in the first movie.

#25 Posted by ComicMan24 (147108 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrDirector786 said:

. Also, I'm still not entirely sure if Darkseid should be the villain in the first movie.

If not him, then who else could be used instead?

#26 Posted by MrDirector786 (43616 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

@MrDirector786 said:

. Also, I'm still not entirely sure if Darkseid should be the villain in the first movie.

I was actually kind of thinking Starro.

#27 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless you rework Starro with some seriously heavy Lovecraftian inspiration it's gonna be way too silly to adapt to a movie. I mean at the end of the day it's still a giant damn starfish.

#28 Posted by ComicMan24 (147108 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrDirector786 said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@MrDirector786 said:

Thought about him as well but he would look way too silly.

#29 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

I'm excited!

Bring it, Warner!!!

I agree!

As for the story, mix the above story with Final Crisis, Justice League: Origin, and maybe even Legends.

#30 Posted by Trevel8182 (754 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork: Why would you have Cyborg on that list over Martian Manhunter.

#31 Posted by MrDirector786 (43616 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

@MrDirector786 said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@MrDirector786 said:

Actually, I was thinking they could use this Starro.

#32 Posted by Spideycap (212 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@sora_thekey said:

Problem is that their alternative to Darkseid is Starro. (Maybe Despero if they are desperate :S)

I agree that they should just go with Darkseid despite the similarities to Thanos. There are just not many JL villains that I can think of that would be convincing standing against the whole league.

#33 Posted by ComicMan24 (147108 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrDirector786 said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@MrDirector786 said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@MrDirector786 said:

Actually, I was thinking they could use this Starro.

That Starro seems better. Even though if they do I hope they will find an alternative to the starfish.

#34 Posted by Sovereign91001 (4727 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24: they could use the white martians.

#35 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

(Sigh) That story is far too big to be the inspiration for the Justice League movie. And I say again Darkseid should be saved for the final Justice League movie. How are DC going to top Darkseid after rolling him out in the first movie?

Darkseid teams up with Despero and Mongul. Duh

#36 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

This can work

#37 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Give the movie a more serious tone than Avengers.

Like this:

That will differentiate them more than enough. Make it an

Oscar Calibur Epic rather than a popcorn film.

#38 Posted by ComicMan24 (147108 posts) - - Show Bio

How about General Eiling? He hates metahumans and somehow they could have him banning metahumans and hunting them down. The heroes would unite to defeat him and in the end would he transform into the Shaggy Man to fight them.

#39 Posted by Darkmount1 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

They're looking to one of the old JLA/JSA crossovers for inspiration? That story's too BIG to be used! As for who should really be the villain of the movie, I say go with Amazo. Or the white Martians.

#40 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Trevel8182 said:

@Superdork: Why would you have Cyborg on that list over Martian Manhunter.

1. MMH makes Superman less special

2. He would jack up the cost of the movie with all of his (surely fake looking) cgi

3. MMH deserves to be introduced in a solo film

4. Cyborg is awesome

5. Cyborg is connected to Darkseid

6. Cyborg can expand the rest of the Justice League to include Flash, Aquaman, Hawkman, Shazam, Martian Manhunter, Swamp Thing, etc. by using the grid. It's the most believable way to expand the Justice League in later films.

7. Cyborg is my favorite character

8. DC needs to snatch up Chadwick Boseman before Marvel does.

9. Cyborg can be used as the human viewpoint in a New Genesis vs Apokoplips spin off since he's the only human who has access to Apokolips

10. He's a useful team member

11. Cyborg brings diversity

12. People like Machine like characters (Transformers, Iron Man, Robocop, etc.)

13. Martians don't sell (Mars needs moms, Mars attacks, John Carter of Mars, etc.)

Does that answer your question?

#41 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid is the perfect villain. And a lot of people don't know the difference between direct adaptation and inspiration in this thread. That is all. Pessimists are why we can't have anything nice.

#42 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

Give the movie a more serious tone than Avengers.

Like this:

That will differentiate them more than enough. Make it an

Oscar Calibur Epic rather than a popcorn film.

Amen to that!!

#43 Edited by SHAZAM117 (3391 posts) - - Show Bio

I perfer them use Brainiac as the villian in a Justice League movie (tho I'm still skeptical this movie is ACTUALLY going to happen, especially by 2015) but it would be really cool to see Darkseid come to life on the big screen. It'd be perfect to use Brainiac as the Leagues 1st major villian seeing as "Man of Steel" is allegedly kick-starting this whole thing off...But, this is just another rumor to add to the laundry list of rumors for a movie that is nothing but rumors and specualtion within itself (-__-)

#44 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@SHAZAM117: Brainiac would be neat!

#45 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see the movie based on "Justice" if we're going to do older JLA stories. But it really should be based on the New 52 stories, since Aquaman is cool again.

#46 Edited by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: You're not serious are you? And FYI there's more to an Oscar caliber film than giving it a serious tone. Not many superhero films can ever be considered Oscar material in departments other than special effects or something like that. And Darkseid is the perfect final villain for the Justice League to face. Not its first. It dimishes his status as a huge universal threat if he's the first guy the Justice League takes on. He deserves far more than to be a mere first villain of the League.

#47 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest I could see this story working for Darkseid as a first villain. Here Darkseid is dead or trapped or somehow diminshed and seeks a way to restore his power. So he tries subverting Earth, the League fight him, some philosophy, some character development, cool effects, the League defeats Darkseid but he manages to escape and make it back to Apokolips where he bides his times preparing his forces for an all out invasion in a following movie.

Ugh, now you've made me think in sequels. I feel dirty.

#48 Posted by Teerack (7163 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have a Staro movie.

#49 Posted by ThomasElliot (364 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh great, a super-hero team's first story is about invading alien(s) from outer space/other dimension. No, we haven't seen that a million times before.

#50 Posted by nappystr8 (1133 posts) - - Show Bio

Like others have said, using Darkseid is just asking to have the mainstream public to say DC is ripping of Thanos and the Avengers. It doesn't matter who actually came fist, Marvel beat DC to the punch with the movies. Besides DC should save Darkseid for a later movie anyway. A New Gods epic would be great for JLA 3, after the main cast is already well established.

For the first Justice League movie Starro makes perfect sense. Mind control stories are still novel to the superhero movie genre, and played like a thriller it could be a huge success. The New Frontier animated adaptation would also be a great resource if not for plot or villains, then for understanding how to introduce an ensemble cast of characters in a compelling way in a short amount of time.

But if the movie is going to be based on Justice League of America #183-185, at least it won't be based on the abysmal first arc of New 52 Justice League.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.