Newsarama: Which GREEN LANTERN in a JL Movie?

#1 Posted by Captain13 (3321 posts) - - Show Bio

By Jill Pantozzi, Newsarama Contributor
posted: 08 June 2012 03:25 pm ET

The news was inevitable, I just didn’t think it would happen so soon after The Avengers came to theaters.

I’m talking, of course, about the big Justice League movie announcement. Warner Bros. picked an odd time to tell everyone its plans to starting work again on that project. Granted, we knew they were going to make one sooner or later but talking about it right now makes everyone jump to the obvious conclusion – that they’re doing it in an attempt to balance the scales that Marvel’s The Avengers made so one-sided.

Hal Jordan

Most of you know a Justice League project was seriously underway back in 2007. They had a script by Kieran and Michelle Mulroney, George Miller was going to direct, and they were planning to shoot in Australia. Nothing official was announced at that time but word was they had contracted several younger actors to take on the iconic roles in the hopes that they would be able to carry on a franchise series. The line-up was said to include Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter.

Now, there’s more at work with the back story of getting a live-action League together and this isn’t a history of the team in the media (I’m sure Alan Kistler is already at work on something like that), so I won’t go any further in that direction. Frankly, as I fan, I’m just dying to know what’s going to happen next. As of right now, we have absolutely no idea what direction they’re going to go in. We don’t even know if they know what direction they’re going to go in. Warner Bros. attempting a connected universe like Marvel has done with their films is certainly an option but DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson has said that’s not their goal. I see advantages in both standalone properties and interconnected films but the bottom line is if it’s a good movie, it will sell.

Unfortunately, DC’s Green Lantern didn’t sell.

Kyle Rayner

Well, didn’t sell as well as they’d hoped anyway. I enjoyed it, and it certainly brought some great fan moments to life for me, but it wasn’t anywhere near as good as I thought it would be. I know there’s been talk of a sequel but actor Ryan Reynolds, who took on the role of Hal Jordan, is also still supposed to be in a Deadpool movie for Marvel, right? True, he could still potentially do both but then what happens when the Justice League movie rolls around? They are almost 100% not going to have Christian Bale to play Batman, and depending on how Man of Steel goes, they may not want Henry Cavill to continue as Superman. All eventualities aside, I just don’t think Hal Jordan is the right Green Lantern for this Justice League film.

For the record, I don’t think it would be difficult to introduce another Green Lantern to audiences. Whether viewers had seen Reynold’s film or not, they’ve probably heard about the “space cop” concept already and know there is more than one Green Lantern. If they don’t, well, it’s really not hard to allow one of the other characters say just that.

Guy Gardner

I suppose Kyle Rayner could make the most sense if they chose not to go with Hal because he was the replacement GL in the comics too. I like Kyle a lot but I prefer his personal stories and feel like he gets lost in a team setting. I’d absolutely LOVE to see Guy Gardner on film since he’s the loud mouth people hate to love and love to hate. And he is just so much fun to watch, isn’t he? But as to the Earth GL I’d most like to see in this upcoming Justice League movie, well it’s hands-down John Stewart.

Supposedly they had John lined up for that 2007 Justice League but we don’t know yet if they’ll stick with that choice. They totally should. Not only is he a great GL (and also served as a Hal replacement back in the day), he’s completely unlike any of the other Earth Lanterns. He’s a marine and an architect but above all else, a real presence. You don’t see many denying John’s authority when he comes on the scene.

And yes, also important is that he would add some much needed diversity to the cast (if they are going to stick with the same characters from the last attempt) They could certainly use some more woman on the team, too. Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman would be a lot of fun, Vixen as well, or someone like Zatanna since they don’t have any magic users on board as far as we know. But I digress. You can’t forget that what John brings to the table is a whole generation of comic fans (and non-readers) who grew up thinking he was the only (and best) Green Lantern, something the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited animated series helped facilitate. Kyle and Guy still aren’t that well-known outside of comics.

John Stewart (Animated)

And let’s face it, they’re going to need all the help they can get. Relative unknown Will Beall has been tapped to write the script for this new incarnation. He’s written several episodes of the ABC series Castle and has three films in different levels of production but that’s really nothing to go on at this point. More importantly, they have a long way to go before they get there. Warner Bros. currently has movie projects in the works starring Superman, The Flash, Lobo, and Wonder Woman.

But you know me, (or at least you should by now, I’ve been doing this column for Newsarama for over two years). I’ll be at every one of them opening night! Why? Because these are the stories and characters I love and the reason I do what I do.

Which brings me to some important business. I’ve decided it’s time for me to move on from my home here at Newsarama.

Don’t everyone gasp at once!

I honestly can’t believe it’s been over two years since I moved my Hey, That’s My Cape! column from Heartless Doll to Newsarama. I guess it’s right what they say, time flies when you’re having fun. It seems like only yesterday I suggested Aquaman get a new costume... and had almost everyone tell me what a stupid idea that was. But seriously though, I love you guys and gals who read my work on a regular (or irregular) basis, whether you agreed with what I had to say or not. I loved what I did here and wouldn’t take back a word, even when those words started controversy I never intended. I just put my thoughts to the page and was happy to get people talking. And if any of my columns got at least one person to pick up comics for the first time (or again), then I consider my job done.

So what does this all mean? I’m not going to stop writing, that’s for sure! You can still find me posting on my personal blog, TheNerdyBird.com as well as read my other work at my full-time gig, TheMarySue.com. I’ll still be talking about what I love and yes, what I disagree with, every chance I get. And hopefully I’ll see you all some time in the future...or in the past if the world turns out like I hope.

Until then, be excellent to each other and remember...Batman always wins.

Read more of Jill’s columns at the Hey, That’s My Cape! topic page!

#2 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

John is famous because of the cartoon....Why not use both John and Hal?

#3 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

reynolds killed hal. stuart we've seen enough off in jl. time for kyle to shine.

#5 Posted by The_Tree (7284 posts) - - Show Bio

I say bring in Hal, I'll always want a JLA movie to be with the original 7, so the choice is easy for me. I'd even say let Ryan be Hal again. The Green Lantern movie was complete s*** , but the entirety of it wasn't because of Reynolds, it was a combination of a terrible script and the bastardization of the GL mythos. And Reynolds can act and be serious, just watch "Buried". I wouldn't mind Stewart on the team, but for me, it just wouldn't be the same.

#6 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything is better with Michael Jai White in it (that means John).

#7 Edited by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

In a Justice League movie I would have Joe Manganiello as Supes.

As for GL keep Hal and add John...

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12973 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal or I won't watch it.

#9 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

Whichever comes out with a successful movie.

#10 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

Question is....will they use Cyborg or Martian Manhunter?

#11 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork: He would be a great John...and yeah. They need to go with John. We comic nerds may know all the lanterns but to the general populace Green Lantern is Jon Stewart due to the popularity of JL/JLU.

#12 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini said:

@Superdork: He would be a great John...and yeah. They need to go with John. We comic nerds may know all the lanterns but to the general populace Green Lantern is Jon Stewart due to the popularity of JL/JLU.

#13 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Kyle Better

#14 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7737 posts) - - Show Bio

They already made a film with Hal Jordan, which got alot of people familiar with him.

Use Hal.

#15 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hal or John would work given they're Earth's primary Green Lanterns. Hal since he's the one most recognized, and John's gotten popularity back thanks to the Justice League cartoon as well as his appearances recently in Young Justice. Either one of them would be ideal in the long run.

#16 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
HAL JORDAN. I will boycott Justice League movie if its any of the other GREEN LANTERN.
#17 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle. Never cared for Hal, and since Alan Scott's out as an "actual" Green Lantern then Kyle is the next best bet and he REALLY needs some love in other media. He got an episode about him in Superman TAS, and even then he was a crossed with Hal. I still want to see Kyle in Young Justice.

#18 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

copying and pasting from another site is a no no and just bad form

#19 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

John Stewart. I grew up with him as my Green lantern in the cartoon. He'll always be Green Lantern to me.

#20 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@oraclefyre said:

John Stewart. I grew up with him as my Green lantern in the cartoon. He'll always be Green Lantern to me.

#21 Posted by Onemoreposter (4022 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

reynolds killed hal. stuart we've seen enough off in jl. time for kyle to shine.

I agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.