New Justice League Animated Series?

• 12 results
#1 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically what the title says. I love the Avengers cartoon that's currently on the air, but it also makes me really want another Justice League TV show. I know that DC has Young Justice and the Green Lantern and I love those shows, but since Marvel now has a show that gives us their flagship superhero team, I feel that maybe DC should do the same and bring the Justice League back to TV screens, but I wouldn't want it to be exactly like the old one. I actually think they should use the team roster from the current New 52 comics (Aquaman, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, GL, Flash, and Cyborg). I sorta felt like the last show diverged a little too much from the comics. I didn't like that they used John as a replacement for Hal, Wally instead of Barry (I know Wally was a Leaguer at the time in the comics, but it was supposed to be about the origin of the League, wasn't it?), and Hawkgirl instead of Aquaman (although I can kind of understand the need for another female member). Maybe they could even use some of the supporting characters from the comics, like Steve Trevor. Either way though, I'd like for it to include a little bit more of the DCU than the last one did. JL and JLU only really started to explore other heroes in the DCU when the League expanded after the Starcrossed epic. We only saw maybe Etrigan and Metamorpho before that. It was as if they didn't exist until a certain point in time and then poof, we see them all over the place. If they were to do another one, I'd like to see the Doom Patrol, Hawkman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, the Teen Titans, Captain Marvel, the Birds of Prey, the Legion, and Captain Atom start to play guest roles much earlier. I mean really build up a large and expansive universe.

Well what do you guys think? Could it work?

#2 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

I would only support it if Bruce Timm and/or the guys who did Young Justice were on it. And Black Lightning and Martian Manhunter need to be on the show.

#3 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I view Young Justice as the extension of the old JL and JLU cartoons (which I view as extensions of BtAS. I don't think it's necessary since we already have that...but hey it couldn't hurt. I actually wouldn't mind seeing an animated take on the JLI. I also wouldn't mind Outsiders, but the animated version of Young Justice basically are the Outsiders so I'm not sure that'd be necessary.

#4 Edited by TheCannon (18683 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, here's my roster for a new Justice League cartoon:

Superman

Martian Manhunter

Wonder Woman

Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)

Flash (Wally)

Aquaman

Dr Fate

I like your ideas, but these things will never be exactly accurate to the comics. I really don't care that it was different. I would rather see the League fight the Imperiem than Starro. I agree with you, Hawkgirl should not of been on the team. Since they wanted a female character besides Wonder Woman, I would of loved to see Power Girl. Then My three favorite DC characters would of been on the show. Also, you're wrong. Besides Etrigan and Metamorpho, there was Aquaman and Dr Fate. For guest appearances, I would want Green Arrow, Black Canary, Captain Marvel, the Teen Titans, and Captain Atom.

#5 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11581 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I view Young Justice as the extension of the old JL and JLU cartoons (which I view as extensions of BtAS. I don't think it's necessary since we already have that...but hey it couldn't hurt. I actually wouldn't mind seeing an animated take on the JLI. I also wouldn't mind Outsiders, but the animated version of Young Justice basically are the Outsiders so I'm not sure that'd be necessary.

BTAS, STAS, JL, JLU, Static Shock and Batman Beyond are all extensions to one another.

I wouldn't mind a JLA version of Young Justice, though.

#6 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

I had an idea for a JLA cartoon called "JLA", inspired by Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes which would show the Justice League early on similar to Justice League and Justice League Unlimited but more of a steady pace.

#7 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

There needs to be more females on the JLA. I'm not liking the 1:7 ratio we have here.

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I want a Justice League show that runs alongside Young Justice. The concept of the team is very much similar to that of JLU: there are many members, but the original seven are in charge, and the others are used when needed.   

And by original seven, I mean the ORIGINAL seven. None of that Cyborg bullcrap. If they want him so bad, they can make a new Titans show. 

#9 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

What they REALLY need to do is have the Justice League spin off from Young Justice. The character designs and voice talent is GREAT and they already have a large roster to work with. It would be freaking great. They could either spin off directly from Young Justice, or make at least the first season a sort of prequel that shows the origin of the League which I would probably prefer. The only problem I could see them having is that for quite a few of League members they arent using traditional voice actors so it may be hard to get them to commit to an actual series. By that I mean

Bruce Greenwood as Batman, Maggie Q as Wonder Woman, Rob Lowe as Captain Marvel, George Eads as Flash, and Alan Tudyk as Green Arrow. Theyre all more traditional actors and while they may not have huge roles or anything getting them back could be difficult. Hopefully not though since they all play their roles very well especially Greenwood as Batman who is definatley the best Batman voice actor other than Kevin Conroy

#10 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I actually don't mind that Cyborg is now a founding member of the League. I do love Martian Manhunter, but I have to admit that it was sort of "redundant" to have both him and Superman on the team. I mean, here you have two characters who live in very similar situations, have very similar character histories, and even very similar power sets. I think Cyborg adds a little bit of diversity to the team, not just in racial terms, but more importantly in terms of character. He's not like Superman or Wonder Woman in the fact that he didn't start out as an outsider coming into "normal" society from elsewhere. But also, he's not like Hal or Barry (or even Clark for that matter) either because he can't just take off his costume and assimilate into normal society easily. A good portion of his body is metal, which prevents him from living a normal life again. So here is a character who is somewhat unique from what we've had on the League before; someone who began his life as an insider (a product of normal society) who was made into an outsider by pure circumstance, but can't go back to the way he was or assimilate at all into normal society anymore like Hal or Barry could because of the fact that he can't change his appearance.

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zeeguy91: If diversity was what they wanted, then they should've went with Black Lighting for the team or Steel or even Vixen. Cycborg is a Titan. He always has been. 
#12 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to do a spinoff from the Young Justice show, using the same Justice League roster, but BEFORE Young Justice... the adult heroes are still relatively new to the world and just forming the League, and their sidekicks haven't yet formed the YJ team. I would watch the crap out of that show.

#13 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11581 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I want a Justice League show that runs alongside Young Justice. The concept of the team is very much similar to that of JLU: there are many members, but the original seven are in charge, and the others are used when needed. And by original seven, I mean the ORIGINAL seven. None of that Cyborg bullcrap. If they want him so bad, they can make a new Titans show.

@Gambit1024 said:

@Zeeguy91: If diversity was what they wanted, then they should've went with Black Lighting for the team or Steel or even Vixen. Cycborg is a Titan. He always has been.

So much win in these two posts. New favorite user.

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked that they used John over Hal because I hate Hal, and I like Wally over Barry

#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArturoCalaKayVee: Thanks, lol. But I really don't hate Cyborg (which I'm sure is what people think). It's quite the opposite actually. It just pisses me off that they ditch such an awesome character like Martian Manhunter, and replace him with someone younger and, compared to the rest of the roster, inexperienced. At least if they replaced MM with any of the other characters I've mentioned, it'd be fine because they at least have the experience, not to mention be the appropriate age. Especially Steel and Black Lightning, respectively.  

Maybe if Cyborg were on the Titans and built up the experience needed for the League while on there, I'll accept him as a Leaguer. Just putting him on there because they can, doesn't make sense to me.
#16 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11581 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Dont worry, I knew what you meant, my opinion of the whole cyborg/jla is the exact way as what you just wrote. Same views.

#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArturoCalaKayVee: Well great minds think alike, lol.
#18 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I'm not talking about racial diversity. I'm talking about character diversity. Steel and Vixen, while great characters, aren't really in that different a situation than any of the other Leaguers. Cyborg on the other hand is and he offers something unique that I haven't really seen on the team before. Also, I kind of always thought Cyborg was somewhat more mature than the other Titans, so I think its about time he got a "promotion" of sorts. And why can't he be on both teams? Batman was in charge of the Outsiders while being on the League. Hal juggles being on the League and being a member of the GL Corps. Why can't Victor?

#19 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zeeguy91: But in this case, Cyborg's not getting a promotion. He's now a founding member, who literally just got his powers, and he's in high school on top of all that. Superman, Batman, Flash, and the rest of them at least had some experience under their belts. Cyborg, however, just walked right in.  

I'm a firm believer that if a person's a member of one team, they should be dedicated to it, and not be a member of any other. I know I might be alone on that, but that just makes sense to me. The GLC is different because as long as Hal's appointed to his sector, he's welcome to do whatever he wants on it. That's different, then say, Guy because he's an actual leader/member of the GLC on Oa. 
#20 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shotgun: I agree, Shotgun, and it's why I have had Dinah as a founder in my JLA series, due to her status as a founder in the Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths canon, and to add another female to the JLA for sure.

#21 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@BigBDawg: Your JLA series? Are you a writer or something?

#22 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

As I said, it's just a fun idea from a DCAU my pal and I are working on. XD To be honest, it's just natural progression from Superman and Batman to the Justice League. ^_^

#23 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

I would only support it if Bruce Timm and/or the guys who did Young Justice were on it. And Black Lightning and Martian Manhunter need to be on the show.

#24 Edited by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Another idea I've had is a Justice League Heroes sequel based off the game's universe. I think it could be a good idea, since I know the game had a comic that came with a brief prologue leading up to the game's events, and considering how the universe seems, there could be a lot of potential for a Justice League Heroes cartoon. :)

#26 Posted by War Killer (20194 posts) - - Show Bio

If it were tied into the Young Justice series, I'd be all for it.

#27 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think a new Justice League cartoon would need to be tied to Earth-16 and Young Justice, but it'd be interesting nonetheless.

#28 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I think with how the 1st season of Young Justice ended they should totally expand into a JLI kind of situation. Not keep all their eggs in one basket.

#29 Edited by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love for another Justice League show. It was always awesome watching Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, and the newer DC shows just aren't as good. If they were to make one, and expand like Justice League Unlimited, I'd like to see more of the other Flashes (especially Jay, even though he's more JSA). Deathstroke would be the villain I would most like to see.

#30 Posted by TheGremlin (58 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to give Static a new show. Im kinda getting pissed that they havent put him in Young Justice yet.

#31 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, Gremlin. Maybe he'll show up in Season 2, Invasion.

#32 Posted by PurpleFeather738 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I really like the art style of Young Justice and I would love to see them do a Justice League series.

#33 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Given the same team worked on the Justice League movies, Crisis on Two Earths and Doom, Purple, I'd agree it'd be awesome to see the designer and such work on a Justice League series. Perhaps different from Young Justice and Earth-16 in the long run.

#34 Edited by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, guys, I had an idea for a Justice League cartoon. It's on the concept of the DCU RP my friend Kurt and I are doing that we dub DC the New Age. This Justice League show'd be called Justice League: New Generation and features the children, successors, or heroes taking up the mantle of older heroes as well as a new generation of heroes to combat a rise in evil as well as a new collective of super-villains under the banner of one man. I also apologize for double posting in advance, peeps.

Superman/Kevin Kent - Yuri Lowenthal

Batman/Wade Garrison - Shawn Hairston

Wonder Woman/Angela Prince - Tara Platt

Aquaman/Tohru Hama - Calvin Tram

The Flash/Haley Baldwin - Colleen O'Shaughnessey

Green Lantern/Jeff Anderson - Josh Keaton

Ms. Martian/M'gann M'orzz - Danica McKellar

Martian Manhunter/J'onn J'onzz - Carl Lumbly

This is JL: NG's principal cast when it begins. J'onn is there to act as counsel as well as helping the new Justice League prepare to face the challenges ahead of them for taking on the role of the world's greatest super-heroes. As well as seeing them grow to not just be a team.

I'd want to get Phil Bourassa for character designer since I've loved his work in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, Justice League: Doom, and Young Justice.

#35 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a JL cartoon would be great! It could have a one hour pilot following the story of Geoff Johns's first six issues of JL. From then on, it could be a half-hour show, Black Canary would join in the second episode, Green Arrow in the third or fourth, then Martian Manhunter, Atom, Vixen, Firestorm, and Deadman joining throughout the first two seasons. Actually, thinking back, it'd be cooler if they replaced Cyborg with Black Lightning.

#36 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

If it were made by Bruce Timm or Greg Weismann then I'd love one but otherwise absolutely not. Those are the only two I trust to do a good job with the Justice League. I'd love to see one set on Earth-16 with Young Justice's Justice League or maybe a JLI show set on Earth 16.

#37 Posted by The Poet (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

I would support a JL cartoon, but I would not want the animation to be like Green Lantern or Batman...I'm sorry I don't like it. Give it a few more years until you have perfected it so it looks super cool, but right now....its not so good...

plus we have all these cool animators right now that would make a cool show.

#38 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush: Now that sounds like a cool idea if you ask me, Rush. =) Especially if the team gets tweaked very well beyond what Geoff Johns has done so far. Besides Clark, Bruce, Diana, Arthur, Barry, Hal, and Victor, there's a lot of talent like who you mentioned, and in the end, I think it'd be sweet to see something like that done. Even in the style of Phil Bourassa as shown in Young Justice and the Justice League DTVs.

#39 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think they should do a JLA series just yet.

They should definitely start with a Superman series first. Retell the origins of superman, then really flesh out all his rogues.

Then after young justice ends, they can go with a Justice League animated series and follow it closer to the new 52 comics.

#40 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

No thank you. No more Justice League please, I'm fine thank you.

#41 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAvenger: Dude, I doubt it HAS to be Greg Weismann or Bruce Timm. :P Look at the Justice League in The Batman! It was done well, even if showing up in the last season and just having 7 members.

#42 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

I had an idea for one where the main baddies include the Injustice League, Starro The Conquerer, and maybe Despero. 
It should take place in the same reality as Beware The Batman and GL:TAS, in my opinion. Then they might also do Wonder Woman: The Animated Series, Flas:TAS, Aquaman:TAS (maybe), and a new Superman cartoon. We really need one. We haven't seen Supe in his own show since Smallville. I'm not talking about those DC Nation shorts. They don't count. Batman: Brave and the Bold doesn't count, either.   
My roster would be: 

• Superman
  • Batman
  • Green Lantern
  • Aquaman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Wonder Girl (who says sidekicks cant join? And, lets face it, we need another girl)
  • Atom or Green Arrow
  • The Flash
  • Maybe Martian Manhunter would eventually join. We cant have the roster start out with THAT MANY people!
#43 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

Making a new justice league show may be troubling.It' as if your starting and entire new Dc Animated universe.But as long as I see aquaman there I'm happy.

#44 Posted by BigBDawg (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake: True, but it doesn't meant it's not impossible to do.

#45 Posted by ThiefVigilante (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, I would've written this if you'd hadn't. First of all, JLU was awesome regardless of character choice, it was meant to be set in an alternate dimension in the multi-verse. Come on guys, think. Now, I believe a new Justice League spinoff cartoon would be awesome only, If Only, Bruce Timm and the dream writers from JLU produced it. The amazing storyline would co-op with the sharp HD animation flawlessly. I agree it should be titled JLA or maybe Justice League: Reborn or something to tie in and follows the original members and others. I also wished they had developed the Justice League Beyond storyline sooner and made a spinoff show from Batman Beyond, but that's long gone now. It would've been awesome...

#46 Posted by Sabatoge777 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I agree with the new 52 line up its current and the show will help people get into the comics ( Even if most its viewers are kids) but i would want to see mostly Captain marvel, the atom, Hawk man and hawk woman, and the JSA

#47 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if Bruce Timm isn't involved, there's practically no way that a superhero animated show could be made without some involvement by the DCAU people, they're everywhere. For example, the late Boyd Kirkland, who worked on Batman: TAS and the two TAS movies, also worked on X-Men: Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Joaquim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery, both of whom worked on Justice League and the DC animated movies, worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. Paul Dini writes for a ton of shows. Andrea Romano does the voice casting and direction for an insane amount of animation.

#48 Posted by FearTheLiving (3082 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: In a way I suppose but for some reason Wally de-aged and now in YJ as Kid Flash rather then the Flash of JL

#49 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@FearTheLiving said:

@fodigg: In a way I suppose but for some reason Wally de-aged and now in YJ as Kid Flash rather then the Flash of JL

True, but while it isn't a literal successor I'd argue pretty strongly it's a spiritual one. YJ is very close to the larger DC "animated universe."

#50 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I've actually written detailed outlines for 3 seasons of a new Justice League animated series that, to a certain extent, meshes with the New 52. Currently working on season 4... the first 3 I have posted as blogs on this site, and I ALMOST linked them here, but I decided that may seem to some like a desperate cry for attention to my blogs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.