Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

My Thoughts on a Justice League Film

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Edited By Gambit1024
    You'd watch this movie. Don't lie to yourself.
    You'd watch this movie. Don't lie to yourself.

For the past decade or so, the superhero film has become a genre of its own. From movies like Iron Man, Spider-Man, and X-Men: First Class to Watchmen, The Dark Knight, and the extremely forgettable Jonah Hex, these films had high ups and extremely low downs. Marvel even has it's own movie studios! That's pretty amazing, and together with Disney, they're going to bring The Avengers, a superhero team I've grown to love over my years of geekdom, to the big screen. I think it's a great time to be a comic nerd, don't you? With WB doing things for DC's part, we've enjoyed awesome movies like Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Watchmen (and I'll totally not talk about the less than average Green Lantern). Lately, however, with the Avengers becoming a reality, fans like myself wonder what would happen if they did a Justice League film.

WB/DC aren't Marvel Studios. That being said, I sincerely doubt that they'd do the smart thing by introducing each member in their own films, only to have them meet in an eventual Justice League movie. With Nolan's Batman trilogy, and Snyder's soon-to-be Superman franchise on it's way, I also doubt that they would include the World's Finest in their JLA film. I feel that that'd be smart because, like it or not, this is a team film. With the general audience today, you know they're only gonna wanna see Superman/Batman kick all sorts of ass. This would cause pain to all the other great characters on the team (Flash, WW, etc.) in terms of screen time. So I'd rather Batman and Superman not be in a movie like this.

These characters are iconic!
    These characters are iconic!

So here are my personal, somewhat cliche, choices for an imaginary, live-action, 5 person Justice League movie.

- Wonder Woman- Face it. Women are barely represented in the superhero genre thus far, and the only movie heroines are almost knock-offs of existing characters (i.e. Laura Croft = Indiana Jones). She's more than suitable to lead a team and DC needs to emphasize their feminist voice without the aid of their golden character, Batman (with characters like Catwoman and possibly Talia Al Ghul in The Dark Knight Rises).

- The Flash- This character gets little to no exposure when it comes to your modern-day TV/films. It doesn't exactly matter which Scarlet Speedster they choose for the film, but as a fan of the Silver Age, I'd like for it to be Barry Allen (even though Wally's my favorite). The possible brains of the group (as Barry is a talented scientist), he can also provide comic relief. He'll play nicely with everyone, but perhaps butt heads if the situation calls for it.

- Green Lantern- True, while his solo film failed miserably, it's not the character's fault. Hal Jordan could translate extremely well to the big screen with the proper talent and script. Of course I choose Hal Jordan to wear the emerald ring for this film because a) I like the Silver Age, and b) he's always bonded very well to Barry Allen. I also feel that, since this is Hal we're talking about, he'll constantly question/butt heads with his teammates. This will make Hal extremely unpredictable, and fun to watch in a team setting.

- Martian Manhunter- Since this is Hollywood we're talking about, we'll need some race diversity on our team. What better way to represent any race than an alien? He's different than all the other heroes, but quite possibly, the strongest member of this team. His morals are fantastic and he's an extremely interesting character. Furthermore, the team needs someone that's level headed to balance the questioning/harassment from Hal Jordan. He could also be the reason the team forms in the first place, i.e. Bruce Timm's Justice League.

Stick to the classics.
    Stick to the classics.

-Aquaman- Like the Flash and Martian Manhunter, Aquaman is barely utilized in the public eye, and this would be a perfect time to show what he can do on the big screen. This could either be the Aquaman that's currently being written by Geoff Johns or the King Arthur-type Aquaman written by Grant Morrison in his JLA run. Commander of 2/3's of the Earth itself, Aquaman is an absolute muscle to the team. He's loyal, skilled in battle, and could be this team's "Thor" as he's not used to the surface world and how it works. He could even have a relationship with Wonder Woman. I think they'd be beautiful for each other.

Together, I think this select group of characters can make for an outstanding Justice League film, providing that DC/WB doesn't do things the "Marvel Studios way".

How the team could come together could be a variety of things: White Martians attack the city, a freak war between the Amazons and Atlantians, the threat from an unbeatable villain, etc. This movie would have to be at least two hours (possibly even moreso) to get every little thing stretched across. Once this movie is done, who knows? Maybe the members would get their own spin-off movies. A Barry Allen movie that introduces Wally West as Kid Flash? A Hal Jordan movie that introduces the other GL's like Kyle, Guy, and John? How about a Teen Titans movie for a spin-off? Sign me up for that!

Another alternative (possibly more expensive depending who they cast) would be a JLA movie (complete with Superman and Batman) shot in the "Uncanny Valley Style". "Uncanny Valley" is the same type of animation used in films like Beowulf, The Polar Express, and A Christmas Carol. The trailer for DC Universe Online used this style, and I thought it a) looked beautiful and b) did all the characters justice in terms of design. But hey, if you like live-action better, who am I to judge? I think that looked badass:

So, to end this really long blog that probably won't be read but I really hope you do read sorry for the run-on sentence. This is what I think about a JLA movie and how it should/could be handled.

Thanks for listnin' :D

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i actually...agree with this, i've always considered Batman and Superman integral to the JLA but they were barely on the original team, i can see a movie happening without them

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

@The Stegman: Thanks for reading! I'm not saying Batman and Superman aren't important to the JLA, though. I just feel that they aren't completely necessary for a film. If, however, they had the budget to do whatever they wanted, then I'd love to see them in a JLA movie.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By jrock85

You can't have a JLA movie without Bats and Supes.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

I know your trying to do a good thing with the whole no Bats no Supes thing but it just wouldn't work. Your proposing a good movie but when it comes to DC and non-comic fans the quality of the product doesn't matter, look at Justice League Heroes, great game but it didn't get a sequel it didn't make lot of money because it didn't attract attention. Batman and Superman but mostly Batman is the wind beneath DC's wings if you want your idea for an admittedly excellent sounding movie to even make back what it cost to make you need both of them especially if you include Aquaman the public thinks he's crap I know he's awesome you know he's awesome but the public doesn't know that. If you want your idea to be successful you need a screenwriter and a director good enough to both let Superman and Batman to kick allot of ass and steal the show and also give the other members of the team the spotlight and development they deserve in a 2 hour time slot

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Lvenger

This is the perfect non Superman/Batman line up. WW provides the role of the strong, female leader which is something I think she is more than capable of doing. Personally I would have Barry in the film despite my preference for Wally as he would have a good chemistry with Hal and his intelligence has been underestimated in comics until recently. Hal is my favourite lantern so he would be the perfect lantern for the team, MM is the right replacement for Superman in the alien powerhouse area as he is not only more powerful than Superman, his weakness makes him more vulnerable. Finally, if Aquaman was like he is currently in Geoff Johns' eyes then he could be so much more than the guy that 'talks to fish.' Great line up with accompanying reasons Gambit!

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

@jrock85: I think it's possible. Would it be as successful? That depends on many factors. Bottom line, if they want Superman and Batman as well as the other five classic members of the lineup, it'd cost a lot of money. Unless they went animated, which I already addressed.

@BlackArmor: Justice League heroes wasn't a good game at all, imo. Marvel Ultimate Alliance outclassed it in basically every way including marketing. Believe me, I know Superman and Batman are DC's flagship characters, but I feel that those two are just too "big" for this movie. I'd love for all seven members to be in one giant movie, but at the end of the day, Batman and Superman will gain all of the glory while the other five are left in the dark. And with regards to Aquaman, you said it yourself:

If you want your idea to be successful you need a screenwriter and a director good enough to both let Superman and Batman to kick allot of ass and steal the show and also give the other members of the team the spotlight and development they deserve in a 2 hour time slot

Why can't the director/screen writer make Aquaman more appealing? I think if they introduced Aquaman the exact same way they did in the latest Justice League issue, the public will grow to love him.

@Lvenger: Thanks for the kind words :)

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By majestic99

If they used John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan, I would defintely see the movie.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EdBlank

For the bazillionth time: Martian does not qualify as a race and does not offer any diversity. By that logic you already have an Atlantean and an Amazon. Diversity for the sake of diversity is *yawn* anyway. Also: the phrase "uncanny valley" is supposed to be a dis, right? It means the CG character is close enough to "human" to freak you out. For it to feel right it has to be closer still to "human" (this is a robotics term originally I believe but it applies nicely to CG). Perhaps they have started using this term to describe the motion cap CG stuff. I am too lazy to Google right now.

ArTgOd21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArTgOd21

Actually WW, Batman, & Superman are considered the holy trinity of DC comics by many and by some they are known as the big three.

But I can see what you mean about everyone else being pushed into the background as far as movies/TV shows go. Much like with Wolverine and the x-men, with Wolverine getting a lot of the praise. So if they were to do a movie with the other less noted characters, fans of those characters would appreciate that.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By Misterwizz

@ArTgOd21:

More like Batman and the his bitches.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, people would want a World Finest movie more that a JLA movie.

Also people wouldnt care for the rest of heroes if Superman and Batman are on the film.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambit1024: Pretty intriguing post you have there. I agree that you don't need a JL film with Superman and Batman, but to be honest, that's the only reason it would kick off and people would go see it. Most film audiences would really only recognize Superman and Batman, and maybe Green Lantern after the recent film. But I don't know how well it would work without DC's two biggest characters at the helm.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Captain13

I'd prefer something like this. (I left Batman out because I don't think that he'd want to be on the JLA more than for consulting or that he'd have the time to be on the League. He contributes little more than the other members already do in terms of skills or powers.)

Pitch: Clark Kent/Superman awakes with a start. Standing before him is the ghostly image of a green, alien-looking creature. He is coming, the apparition states before dissipating in the breeze. He is coming.

The same strange visitation replays itself to Hal Jordan as he flies an experimental plane. To Victor Stone as he rides an elevator in STAR Labs, to Barry Allen, and Wonder Woman, all of them telepathically warned by J'onn J'onzz, the last survivor of the planet Mars. The same great evil that destroyed Mars is coming to Earth, and this Martian hunts men for a super-league capable of defeating it.

The Man of Steel, theAmazon, the Man Machine, the Emerald Gladiator, and the Fastest Man Alive come together as the Justice League when J'onzz pleads to them for help against an evil no one hero can defeat. "Mars burned for 200 years after he came," J'onzz says. "Everyone died. Everyone but me."

"After he destroyed Mars, he came to Earth," laments J'onzz to the newly formed League. "But there was nothing to conquer. He killed the dominant species, your dinosaurs, and marked your Earth as a viable future world to subjugate. His name is Despero, the immortal leader of his warlike race. He comes alone, conquers by his own hand and proves his status of God to his people. I have felt his mind. He is coming."

As the team races to learn everything they can about Despero and the Martian/human technology of the JL's Washington DC HQ, Despero crashes to Earth in a fiery ball of death. Towering over seven feet tall, the alien wreaks havoc through the U.N., brutally killing every delegate inside and donning the UN's flag as a symbol of his power. His next step is to murder the U.S. president, as Despero cuts a path of destruction through all U.S. resistance. Eventually catching up to him, the hastily assembled Justice League face the would-be conqueror as their first mission and their first failure. Even though they eventually defeat Despero, they may soon have to contend with an entire race of Desperos; having retreated behind Saturn, the rudderless army gives pause to ponder what to do with the one planet that has managed to defeat their god.

Director:Brad Bird

Superman/Henry Cavill
    Superman/Henry Cavill
    Green Lantern/Armie Hammer
    Green Lantern/Armie Hammer
    Wonder Woman/Gina Carano
    Wonder Woman/Gina Carano
    Cyborg/Mechad Brooks
    Cyborg/Mechad Brooks
    Flash/Chris Pine
    Flash/Chris Pine
    Martian Manhunter/Laurence Fishburne
    Martian Manhunter/Laurence Fishburne
    Despero/Michael Ironside
    Despero/Michael Ironside
    TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TAneT62

@Deranged Midget: Your leaving wonderwoman out, people, anyone would recognise her, shes a legendary icon to everyone ...

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

@TAneT62: That's nice, but I chose to leave out Wonder Woman because personally I believe she doesn't really attract a large audience and she has yet to establish a successful outing in media eg. films, tv, etc.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TAneT62

@Deranged Midget: Attract a large audience? Dude WW is the only female superheroe people look forward to seeing, the 2011 ww show may have been a huge flop but that was the directors fault, changing the very essence of wonder woman herself. Plus she's one of the original founders of JL, shes one of the big 3, aquaman i believe had a film that flopped big time a few years back. Without wonderwoman in a JL film, than there cant be a film. Period.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Lvenger

@TAneT62: Admittedly WW hasn't enjoyed the greatest media success. Joss Whedon's plan for a WW film was rejected so clearly for some reason, people think that WW's not right to appear in a film yet. And as you said the TV series was a flop as a lot of people don't understand her character so to say that the Justice League film would be a flop without her is an overstatement. The Avengers film doesn't have Ant Man or Wasp in its line up and they were founding members before Cap, Hawkeye and Widow joined the team.

Furthermore, even though she's one of the big three, how come a Green Lantern film which failed miserably was released before a WW film? Having said that, WW is in my ideal JLA film line up as even though Superman and Batman are my two favourite heroes, I feel they would steal the limelight from the other heroes. And besides they have successful films of their own.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deranged Midget

@TAneT62 said:

@Deranged Midget: Attract a large audience? Dude WW is the only female superheroe people look forward to seeing, the 2011 ww show may have been a huge flop but that was the directors fault, changing the very essence of wonder woman herself. Plus she's one of the original founders of JL, shes one of the big 3, aquaman i believe had a film that flopped big time a few years back. Without wonderwoman in a JL film, than there cant be a film. Period.

Wonder Woman has been rejected as a film more than once and the recently rejected tv show is simply more proof. Wonder Woman just doesn't resonate well into film period. The studios know this hence why she hasn't had her chance. Hell, even Green Lantern flopped and he's had far more success lately with Green Lantern: First Flight and a massive focus with comics and the CGI show on television. Thus far, Batman has been the only character that has had major success, we have yet to see how Man of Steel turns out, but audiences simply don't care for the other members.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TAneT62

@Deranged Midget said:

@TAneT62 said:

Wonder Woman has been rejected as a film more than once and the recently rejected tv show is simply more proof. Wonder Woman just doesn't resonate well into film period. The studios know this hence why she hasn't had her chance. Hell, even Green Lantern flopped and he's had far more success lately with Green Lantern: First Flight and a massive focus with comics and the CGI show on television. Thus far, Batman has been the only character that has had major success, we have yet to see how Man of Steel turns out, but audiences simply don't care for the other members.

No your wrong, yes batmans been the only succesful superheroe film, but that doesn't account for wonderwoman at all - yea her show in 2011 flopped but hey thats showbizz, and as i recall her plastic looking costume with the pants didnt go well, changing the very essence of wonderwoman, would be the issue to the flop. And saying audiences dont simply care for other members is total nonsense bro.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Gambit1024
    Well why not use Captain Marvel as Superman's replacement?
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Primmaster64: I'm glad you brought him up! I left him out for two reasons:  

1. Captain Marvel, as awesome as I really think he is, isn't or never really has been, a real Justice Leaguer. I know, yeah, he's been a member of JLI and is on the team in Young Justice, but anyway you boil it down, I don't feel that he's right for the team. A powerhouse, sure, but he's still a little boy. "The wisdom of Solomon doesn't grant maturity," as Green Arrow blatantly stated. If Billy's allowed on the team, why not allow every other kid with superpowers? No, I think he could be used better elsewhere. That brings me to.....
    2. Captain Marvel, unlike Wonder Woman, Flash, or Martian Manhunter, is one of the very few DC superheroes that could excel in a franchise of his own, without having much to change about him. Think about it: what characters do the best in their own movies? Batman, Spider-Man, and Iron Man. Why? They are, in their own unique ways, relatable to their audience. Billy's a kid. A kid that can do things that other kids only dream of doing! Why have him shoved in a team movie when he can have an epic film franchise of his own? In a way, I feel that he's too good of a character to be wasted in a team film, where he won't ever get the appropriate screen-time he deserves. Flash, WW, and MM can afford it, because, let's face it: if any of them were to star in their own feature film tomorrow, it would flop (much like GL did) and there'd be a chance that we'd never see them again. So to lure in potential fans, I feel that these characters should be introduced in a team film. Billy, on the other hand, has a way better shot at his own franchise than the others, thus making him too good for a JLA movie. 
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Deranged Midget

@TAneT62 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@TAneT62 said:

No your wrong, yes batmans been the only succesful superheroe film, but that doesn't account for wonderwoman at all - yea her show in 2011 flopped but hey thats showbizz, and as i recall her plastic looking costume with the pants didnt go well, changing the very essence of wonderwoman, would be the issue to the flop. And saying audiences dont simply care for other members is total nonsense bro.

No, it's fact. Most of your average going film audiences are not comic-book fans. They couldn't care less about the "big three" or much else of the Justice League. Green Lantern had a massive mythos to draw from and yet he failed miserably and Superman Returns encountered the same type of resistance back in 2006. The proof is all there, DC doesn't exactly have the best track record for transitioning their major characters to the screen.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Deranged Midget: Well, the characters Hal Jordan and Superman aren't to blame for those failures of films. The reason those two failed is because they were horribly written, and GL was terribly miscast-ed. Also, Superman's failure is also partly to blame because of its release date. You never release a movie like that next to Pirates of the Carabbian, and expect it to win big numbers. 
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambit1024 said:

@Deranged Midget: Well, the characters Hal Jordan and Superman aren't to blame for those failures of films. The reason those two failed is because they were horribly written, and GL was terribly miscast-ed. Also, Superman's failure is also partly to blame because of its release date. You never release a movie like that next to Pirates of the Carabbian, and expect it to win big numbers.

All of those reasons can be equally applied to Wonder Woman.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Deranged Midget: While that may be true, that has nothing to do with the character itself. In her own right, she's a fantastic character, but it's the writers for DC and WB who will never take her seriously.
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambit1024: Neither will casual audiences.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sethysquare

I feel like there can't be a JL movie without the trinity.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Deranged Midget: Without a proper story and introduction? I agree. With those things? She could surpass someone like Iron Man (pre-Avengers) in terms of popularity.
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambit1024: Highly doubtful but that's simply my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.