My Feelings on the New JLA Title

Posted by Joygirl (18466 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I'm stoked for this to come out, and really quite interested. I do feel it's a mixed bag, however -- here are my feelings per-character.

Martian Manhunter

Squee! I am excited to see him finally taking up the mantle of the official powerhouse, rather than staying in the Watchtower and watching the other JL members do what he could have already done. I just hope they get his personality right, maybe keep a little humor about him. Fish out of water-style.

Catwoman

I am a Catwoman fan, and I am intensely interested as to what she is doing here. With Batman he can do tech stuff and detective work, but Catwoman doesn't do that. Will this really be a stealth-based team? And with MMH, who can phase, isn't she obsolete?

Baz

Have yet to pick up the Green Lantern title with him in it, so I am curious to see what he is gonna be getting up to, and how he differs from the others. I have this weird tingling feeling I will like him -- don't ruin it, DC. I see you wanting to.

Stargirl

Totally unfamiliar with her. We'll see.

Steve Trevor

Yaaaawn. Not really being a big WW follower this is like being handed a piece of unbuttered toast. Like if Lois Lane were on the team. But whatever.

Katana

Kinda curious as to what she will add to the team. Again, next to the other folks in this team, she seems unneeded... but again, we will see. I hear she is interesting, so.

Hawkman

If they get anywhere near that eternal love crap I am throwing this book out. Hopefully if he can keep his crap together without a Hawkgirl or Hawkwoman or Hawklady or anyone showing up, and be a badass on his own, I will enjoy him rather than hate him.

Vibe

*blank stare*

Green Arrow

Always liked Queen's fanciful, playful attitude in other comics but don't know what they're doing with him in the New 52. Hoping for the best!

--------------

...Well, that didn't end up sounding quite as interesting as it did in my head. Ah well.

#1 Posted by Juandicimo_Magnifico45 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

I am with you on this one. Most of these characters I have absolutely no interest in at all. Surprisingly though... I am dying to get my hands on issue 1.

#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

The lineup is not that popular so I don't believe the title will last and will probably go the way of Justice League Detroit. The flop Green Lantern movie was using Amanda Waller as dc's Nick Fury and JLA seems to be using both Amanda Waller and Steve Trevor in the Nick Fury role. I would've preferred Geoff Johns try to reboot the jsa on the main earth so hopefully they cancel the earth 2 title soon to pave the way for a jsa on the main earth. As for Stargirl, looks like Geoff Johns is retaining much of the pre-flashpoint Pat Dugan and Sylvester Pemberton origin for Stargirl. In the smallville tv show jsa episode by Geoff Johns, Stargirl was the legacy super hero for Sylvester Pemberton.

#3 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: Lois Lane was awesome in the Flashpoint series, or at least she could have been awesome.

#4 Posted by Joygirl (18466 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Still, if there was an upcoming Justice League and Lois Lane was on the cover, would it really instill a feeling of awe?

#5 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: No probably not, I am a huge WW fan, but you are right to mostly dislike Trevor

#6 Posted by Joygirl (18466 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: I don't really DISLIKE him since I don't really know him. He is just underwhelming to the point of nausea.

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Vibe

*blank stare*

Couldn't agree more.

#8 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: He was pretty bad in the golden age when Diana would always be completely smitten with him though he was a zero-dimensional character

#9 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns does seem like he has his own ideas on how to do a Wonder Woman solo title and how to use Steve/Etta so maybe in the future. Right now, Steve seems to be the new Rick Flag who in pre-flashpoint, had worked with Amanda in the suicide squad.

#10 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

@RazzaTazz: I don't really DISLIKE him since I don't really know him. He is just underwhelming to the point of nausea.

If you don't know him, perhaps you're overstating the nausea bit?

It's another big roster for Johns to tackle i expect there won't be a great deal of character development for the first few issues. I think Vibe has an interesting power set, I'm keeping an open mind.

#11 Edited by drgnx (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree,

All you need to know about Baz is he keeps guns in case his ring starts to run low on power and apparently the ring choose him because both Hal and Sinestro commanded it to find someone like them (they were sharing a ring via ring multiplication), so has characteristics of both.

@Joygirl said:

Steve Trevor

Yaaaawn. Not really being a big WW follower this is like being handed a piece of unbuttered toast. Like if Lois Lane were on the team. But whatever.

#12 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

why the change up..

#13 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a good point for me to jump on the series.

#14 Edited by SmashBrawler (5493 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

why the change up..

There's no change. This is a new team and new series.

#15 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

A good jumping on point could be wait for the Trinity War to settle first.

#16 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12506 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

So, I'm stoked for this to come out, and really quite interested. I do feel it's a mixed bag, however -- here are my feelings per-character.

Martian Manhunter

Squee! I am excited to see him finally taking up the mantle of the official powerhouse, rather than staying in the Watchtower and watching the other JL members do what he could have already done. I just hope they get his personality right, maybe keep a little humor about him. Fish out of water-style.

pretty much the only member i'm still excited about even though i'm sure they'll drop any part of his character that i love.

Catwoman

I am a Catwoman fan, and I am intensely interested as to what she is doing here. With Batman he can do tech stuff and detective work, but Catwoman doesn't do that. Will this really be a stealth-based team? And with MMH, who can phase, isn't she obsolete?

Geoff thinks he can "fix her" im sure

Baz

Have yet to pick up the Green Lantern title with him in it, so I am curious to see what he is gonna be getting up to, and how he differs from the others. I have this weird tingling feeling I will like him -- don't ruin it, DC. I see you wanting to.

Bleh. bring Hal back. sure,i havent read ANYTHING with Bazberry but f&*% you, i want Hal back.

Stargirl

Totally unfamiliar with her. We'll see.

I thought you said you adored her?

Steve Trevor

Katana

Kinda curious as to what she will add to the team. Again, next to the other folks in this team, she seems unneeded... but again, we will see. I hear she is interesting, so.

She must be in the New 52, cuz she sure wasnt when i was reading about her.

Hawkman

If they get anywhere near that eternal love crap I am throwing this book out. Hopefully if he can keep his crap together without a Hawkgirl or Hawkwoman or Hawklady or anyone showing up, and be a badass on his own, I will enjoy him rather than hate him.

*Eternal Love*

Vibe

*blank stare*

*fart* What's a Vibe?

Green Arrow

Always liked Queen's fanciful, playful attitude in other comics but don't know what they're doing with him in the New 52. Hoping for the best!

He's kind like Robert Downey Jr Iron Man apparently just without all those pesky redeeming qualities. again just from what ive heard.

--------------

...Well, that didn't end up sounding quite as interesting as it did in my head. Ah well.

you say that to yourself alot dont you?

#17 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12506 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

The lineup is not that popular so I don't believe the title will last and will probably go the way of Justice League Detroit. The flop Green Lantern movie was using Amanda Waller as dc's Nick Fury and JLA seems to be using both Amanda Waller and Steve Trevor in the Nick Fury role. I would've preferred Geoff Johns try to reboot the jsa on the main earth so hopefully they cancel the earth 2 title soon to pave the way for a jsa on the main earth. As for Stargirl, looks like Geoff Johns is retaining much of the pre-flashpoint Pat Dugan and Sylvester Pemberton origin for Stargirl. In the smallville tv show jsa episode by Geoff Johns, Stargirl was the legacy super hero for Sylvester Pemberton.

hardly. she was just a government scientist.

#18 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe the movie Amanda Waller was just pretending to be a scientist to appear more innocent ? We shall see in future dc movies whether they use Amanda Waller again.

#19 Posted by SupBatz (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed on most accounts. Not too confident about what each character will bring to the team. Honestly, MMH makes almost everyone seem somewhat obsolete.

That being said, MMH, Green Arrow, Katanna, Catwoman, and Stargirl are all characters I really have enjoyed in the past. Hawkman I've always been iffy about. And I have almost no knowledge of Baz and Vibe. I'll choose to be excited just because I like a vast majority of the team. But I hope that Johns handles the interactions between characters within this series in a more skillful manner than he has Justice League.

#20 Posted by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Not so familiar with Martian Manhunter but can he take objects along when phasing through walls?

#21 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter phasing thru walls is more similar to Vision and chameleon boy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.