My Dream Justice League Movie Franchise

Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

MY DREAM JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE FRANCHISE

I think about this a lot. A lot. Because of all the rumors and my undying love for the DCU (except for when they ruin things which they like to do) I have been concocting a DCU Movie Franchise plan that I think would work best.

What they need to do:

1. Make a cohesive DC Universe. The Marvel movies feel like they belong to the same universe. Each DC movie will need to have a similar style and “taste” that will be able to link them together. Cameos and Easter Eggs also help.

2. Cast Well. Marvel’s casting is very strong in the sense that the actors very much embody their characters. Both Physically and in personality. Robert Downey Jr. basically IS Tony Stark anyway so they lucked out there. Chris Evans really looks like the golden boy that Steve Rogers is and really nailed the character. Thor/Chris Hemsworth did too. So they need to avoid casting big names that’ll move tickets, they need to cast smart. (we don’t need another Ryan Reynolds debacle)

3. Be ICONIC. The DC heroes are the most iconic characters in comic books. Don’t just use the modern interpretations of the characters, do actual work and actual research to understand WHO these characters are and create the best possible interpretation of that character. There’s no need to be too different from the comics. Comic book fans HATE that and you’ll probably just confuse the masses.

4. Be SMART. Look at what has failed and what has succeeded. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES! Green Lantern? Fail. Dark Knight Trilogy? Win. DC Animated Universe? Win.

The Plan:

1.Superman. The DCU needs a strong character to build around and Superman is the strongest character DC has. He is who they should and could build around. Man of Steel comes out next summer. Can it be the movie to launch this new franchise? I’m not sure. I’ve got some hope in it being a good movie, but I’m afraid that we’ll get too much Zack Snyder in there and it’ll be very stylized and would be hard to mesh the other films with. But this is what I would do if they wanted to start from scrap:

I’d like to see a Superman movie with Luthorand Brainiac. Both of Superman’s biggest villains in the story, establishing who Superman is, who Lois is and the Superman mythology with an actual threat that has potential for future stories.

2. Batman. DC’s other biggest character and their greatest box office success. The Batman franchise will be rebooted. That’s a fact. I’d like to see it rebooted before the justice league but who knows.

I’d like to see a Batman movie with the same tone as Arkham City. It’s still gritty and bad-ass with the same taste and comic-book quality as the Animated Series and the comics. For the first movie, we could get the Joker. A good Joker story with a different vibe could be a great introduction to the new Batman Universe. It doesn’t need to be purely an origin story because we know who Batman is. A brief introduction to the origin is all we need. And the Joker would have to be pretty different from the Heath Ledger Joker, but that wouldn’t be too difficult to achieve.

3. World’s Finest. The Superman/Batman movie we all want. Luthor teams up with the Joker. The story has been told a few times before, so there’s source material and the World’s Finest animated movie was really, really good. It would be a good stepping stone to get the two big names onto the same screen and establish the characters as Friends.

4. Superman and Batman Sequels. Iron Man got 2 movies in before the Avengers so maybe we could squeeze in a sequel. For Superman, I’d like to see him go up against Bizarro, Parasite, or Metallo (or all three) manipulated by Luthor to destroy Superman. And I’d love to see the Riddler in a Batman sequel!

5. Green Lantern Reboot. There’s no reason to do a sequel to the Green Lantern. I don’t think enough people want more. In order to make a good Green Lantern movie they need to stick with who works best as a villain. And that’s Sinestro. I know they were setting up Sinestro for the sequel but they fucked that up. So a Green Lantern movie with Abin Sur, Sinestro’s treachery, and all that would be a very very cool movie!

Now as for the Green Lantern himself. I love Hal Jordan. He’s my favorite, he’s the most iconic Green Lantern and he’s got the origin story that could really build the movie as long as they get his character right. BUT for diversity’s sake and the fact that a lot of people do still recognize John Stewart as Green Lantern, they could get away with using John Stewart. But that’s tricky because John’s origin relies almost entirely upon Hal Jordan’s existence. It’d be very difficult to use John Stewart as the Green Lantern without a real origin story unless they want to concoct a brand new, patch

work story for him. I’m NOT saying that a black superhero couldn’t sell tickets. I think we do need a black superhero movie (coughblackpantherpleasecough), but if they wanted to use John Stewart then they should wait, introduce John as the GL in Justice League and then do a spin off without delving into his origins too much.

6. The Flash. A Flash movie is DESPERATELY needed. I may be biased because he’s my favorite but he’s got the look, the powers, and the personality to sell tickets. He’s a cool character! They would need to use Barry Allen, he’s just the smarter candidate to build the franchise around. I’d like to see a movie featuring the Rogues. Use Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Heat Wave, and Weather Wizard. There’s no need for Boomerang or Trickster or the Top. Barry’s job is essentially a CSI which would be easy to work around story wise, especially if they play the Rogues as a sort of gang or mob.

For casting, The Flash needs to embody the hope and optimism around Superheroes. Barry Allen is a decent guy who tries really hard to do the right thing. He’s funny and smart but not the player that Wally West was portrayed as in JLU. A lot of people seem to think that Bradley Cooper would be a good choice. The idea disgusts me. I liked Bradley Cooper in Hangover 1 and Limitless, but he plays the suave slimy douchey guy very well. And that’s NOT the flash. He also doesn’t really have that Midwestern boy look.

7. WONDER WOMAN. Please. We need a Wonder Woman movie. She’s the strongest female character in comics. If done right, she could have a great movie. She’s got the mythology and the personality of a box office hit. I’d like to see the Cheetah AND Ares. Get Diana off the island with Steve Trevor to stop Barbara Minerva who has resurrected Ares to become the Cheetah and is attempting to bathe the world in blood through war. Have Wonder Woman fight ares’ henchmen, the cheetah, and the big guy himself and you have a movie.

8. Aquaman. Hear me out. While an Aquaman movie could be tricky, I think it could be done. It is probably NOT necessary to the Justice League Franchise, but I’d like to see it. Get the right actor and the right script and you could have a badass Aquaman having a grudge match with Black Manta! Get Mera in there too. Using Geoff John’s Aquaman as a template, an Aquaman movie is doable.

9. THE JUSTICE LEAGUE. I have 2 ideas for a Justice League movie.

9a. THE WHITE MARTIANS. Taking cues from the Justice League cartoon and Grant Morrison’s JLA you could do a cool story of an alien invasion from Mars unleashed upon earth that unites the League, and introduces the Martian Manhunter. It could also launch John Stewart and Aquaman if they don’t get individual movies. The Alien invasion is the easiest way to unite the league, especially white martian style.

9b. THE LEGION OF DOOM. A nerd’s greatest fantasy come to the big screen. Taking cues from Alex Ross and Jim Krueger’s JUSTICE, and the animated Justice League: Doom, we could have an awesome movie of the formation of the Legion of Doom under Luthor’s manipulation to eliminate their collective foes and destroy them and only in uniting together can they stop the Legion’s plan. Use all the villains from the original movies (Joker/Riddler, Luthor (and bizarro), cheetah, Sinestro, Captain cold, and Black Manta). This would be a pretty cool movie but it wouldn’t be an ideal place to introduce the Martian Manhunter, Aquaman if they don’t do an individual movie, or John Stewart if they decide to use him. But it could be a really cool sequel too.

10. Sequels and Spin Offs. From the Justice League you could build sequels and spin offs. Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter could spin off from the JL depending on the route taken. You could also throw easter egg guest appearances by Green Arrow, Zatanna, Hawkman, and the Atom if they wanted to expand the movie-verse and have a spring board to use.

11. ANIMATION. The other idea I had. What’s the one thing that DC never fails at? Animation. Their animated universe and animated movies are always top quality. A big budget feature length Justice League movie in regular animation or CGI could be amazing. With potential for movie and television spin offs.

It’s a doable project if they play it smart. But knowing DC and Warner Brother’s. They probably won’t.

Casting wise I still stick with my original picks:

Henry Cavill as Superman

Michael Fassbener as Batman

Megan Gale as Wonder Woman

Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

Scott Porter as The Flash

Paul Walker as Aquaman

Carl Lumbly as Martian Manhunter

#1 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14 said:

MY DREAM JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE FRANCHISE

I think about this a lot. A lot. Because of all the rumors and my undying love for the DCU (except for when they ruin things which they like to do) I have been concocting a DCU Movie Franchise plan that I think would work best.

What they need to do:

1. Make a cohesive DC Universe. The Marvel movies feel like they belong to the same universe. Each DC movie will need to have a similar style and “taste” that will be able to link them together. Cameos and Easter Eggs also help.

2. Cast Well. Marvel’s casting is very strong in the sense that the actors very much embody their characters. Both Physically and in personality. Robert Downey Jr. basically IS Tony Stark anyway so they lucked out there. Chris Evans really looks like the golden boy that Steve Rogers is and really nailed the character. Thor/Chris Hemsworth did too. So they need to avoid casting big names that’ll move tickets, they need to cast smart. (we don’t need another Ryan Reynolds debacle)

3. Be ICONIC. The DC heroes are the most iconic characters in comic books. Don’t just use the modern interpretations of the characters, do actual work and actual research to understand WHO these characters are and create the best possible interpretation of that character. There’s no need to be too different from the comics. Comic book fans HATE that and you’ll probably just confuse the masses.

4. Be SMART. Look at what has failed and what has succeeded. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES! Green Lantern? Fail. Dark Knight Trilogy? Win. DC Animated Universe? Win.

The Plan:

1.Superman. The DCU needs a strong character to build around and Superman is the strongest character DC has. He is who they should and could build around. Man of Steel comes out next summer. Can it be the movie to launch this new franchise? I’m not sure. I’ve got some hope in it being a good movie, but I’m afraid that we’ll get too much Zack Snyder in there and it’ll be very stylized and would be hard to mesh the other films with. But this is what I would do if they wanted to start from scrap:

I’d like to see a Superman movie with Luthorand Brainiac. Both of Superman’s biggest villains in the story, establishing who Superman is, who Lois is and the Superman mythology with an actual threat that has potential for future stories.

2. Batman. DC’s other biggest character and their greatest box office success. The Batman franchise will be rebooted. That’s a fact. I’d like to see it rebooted before the justice league but who knows.

I’d like to see a Batman movie with the same tone as Arkham City. It’s still gritty and bad-ass with the same taste and comic-book quality as the Animated Series and the comics. For the first movie, we could get the Joker. A good Joker story with a different vibe could be a great introduction to the new Batman Universe. It doesn’t need to be purely an origin story because we know who Batman is. A brief introduction to the origin is all we need. And the Joker would have to be pretty different from the Heath Ledger Joker, but that wouldn’t be too difficult to achieve.

3. World’s Finest. The Superman/Batman movie we all want. Luthor teams up with the Joker. The story has been told a few times before, so there’s source material and the World’s Finest animated movie was really, really good. It would be a good stepping stone to get the two big names onto the same screen and establish the characters as Friends.

4. Superman and Batman Sequels. Iron Man got 2 movies in before the Avengers so maybe we could squeeze in a sequel. For Superman, I’d like to see him go up against Bizarro, Parasite, or Metallo (or all three) manipulated by Luthor to destroy Superman. And I’d love to see the Riddler in a Batman sequel!

5. Green Lantern Reboot. There’s no reason to do a sequel to the Green Lantern. I don’t think enough people want more. In order to make a good Green Lantern movie they need to stick with who works best as a villain. And that’s Sinestro. I know they were setting up Sinestro for the sequel but they fucked that up. So a Green Lantern movie with Abin Sur, Sinestro’s treachery, and all that would be a very very cool movie!

Now as for the Green Lantern himself. I love Hal Jordan. He’s my favorite, he’s the most iconic Green Lantern and he’s got the origin story that could really build the movie as long as they get his character right. BUT for diversity’s sake and the fact that a lot of people do still recognize John Stewart as Green Lantern, they could get away with using John Stewart. But that’s tricky because John’s origin relies almost entirely upon Hal Jordan’s existence. It’d be very difficult to use John Stewart as the Green Lantern without a real origin story unless they want to concoct a brand new, patch

work story for him. I’m NOT saying that a black superhero couldn’t sell tickets. I think we do need a black superhero movie (coughblackpantherpleasecough), but if they wanted to use John Stewart then they should wait, introduce John as the GL in Justice League and then do a spin off without delving into his origins too much.

6. The Flash. A Flash movie is DESPERATELY needed. I may be biased because he’s my favorite but he’s got the look, the powers, and the personality to sell tickets. He’s a cool character! They would need to use Barry Allen, he’s just the smarter candidate to build the franchise around. I’d like to see a movie featuring the Rogues. Use Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Heat Wave, and Weather Wizard. There’s no need for Boomerang or Trickster or the Top. Barry’s job is essentially a CSI which would be easy to work around story wise, especially if they play the Rogues as a sort of gang or mob.

For casting, The Flash needs to embody the hope and optimism around Superheroes. Barry Allen is a decent guy who tries really hard to do the right thing. He’s funny and smart but not the player that Wally West was portrayed as in JLU. A lot of people seem to think that Bradley Cooper would be a good choice. The idea disgusts me. I liked Bradley Cooper in Hangover 1 and Limitless, but he plays the suave slimy douchey guy very well. And that’s NOT the flash. He also doesn’t really have that Midwestern boy look.

7. WONDER WOMAN. Please. We need a Wonder Woman movie. She’s the strongest female character in comics. If done right, she could have a great movie. She’s got the mythology and the personality of a box office hit. I’d like to see the Cheetah AND Ares. Get Diana off the island with Steve Trevor to stop Barbara Minerva who has resurrected Ares to become the Cheetah and is attempting to bathe the world in blood through war. Have Wonder Woman fight ares’ henchmen, the cheetah, and the big guy himself and you have a movie.

8. Aquaman. Hear me out. While an Aquaman movie could be tricky, I think it could be done. It is probably NOT necessary to the Justice League Franchise, but I’d like to see it. Get the right actor and the right script and you could have a badass Aquaman having a grudge match with Black Manta! Get Mera in there too. Using Geoff John’s Aquaman as a template, an Aquaman movie is doable.

9. THE JUSTICE LEAGUE. I have 2 ideas for a Justice League movie.

9a. THE WHITE MARTIANS. Taking cues from the Justice League cartoon and Grant Morrison’s JLA you could do a cool story of an alien invasion from Mars unleashed upon earth that unites the League, and introduces the Martian Manhunter. It could also launch John Stewart and Aquaman if they don’t get individual movies. The Alien invasion is the easiest way to unite the league, especially white martian style.

9b. THE LEGION OF DOOM. A nerd’s greatest fantasy come to the big screen. Taking cues from Alex Ross and Jim Krueger’s JUSTICE, and the animated Justice League: Doom, we could have an awesome movie of the formation of the Legion of Doom under Luthor’s manipulation to eliminate their collective foes and destroy them and only in uniting together can they stop the Legion’s plan. Use all the villains from the original movies (Joker/Riddler, Luthor (and bizarro), cheetah, Sinestro, Captain cold, and Black Manta). This would be a pretty cool movie but it wouldn’t be an ideal place to introduce the Martian Manhunter, Aquaman if they don’t do an individual movie, or John Stewart if they decide to use him. But it could be a really cool sequel too.

10. Sequels and Spin Offs. From the Justice League you could build sequels and spin offs. Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter could spin off from the JL depending on the route taken. You could also throw easter egg guest appearances by Green Arrow, Zatanna, Hawkman, and the Atom if they wanted to expand the movie-verse and have a spring board to use.

11. ANIMATION. The other idea I had. What’s the one thing that DC never fails at? Animation. Their animated universe and animated movies are always top quality. A big budget feature length Justice League movie in regular animation or CGI could be amazing. With potential for movie and television spin offs.

It’s a doable project if they play it smart. But knowing DC and Warner Brother’s. They probably won’t.

Casting wise I still stick with my original picks:

Henry Cavill as Superman

Michael Fassbener as Batman

Megan Gale as Wonder Woman

Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

Scott Porter as The Flash

Paul Walker as Aquaman

Carl Lumbly as Martian Manhunter

im glad you put in martain manhunter

#2 Posted by TheCannon (19477 posts) - - Show Bio

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

im glad you put in martain manhunter

This.

Anyone with an IQ above 5 would know to put MM in instead of Cyborg.

#3 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: @Arkhamc1tizen: Thanks! Yeah I just feel that Martian Manhunter is such an iconic member of the Justice League. I love Cyborg but I like him as a Teen Titan better.

#4 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is eh. A lot of people give him crap he doesn't deserve and it'd be hard to get people to actually like/want/and go see an Aquaman movie. It'd take alot to shed that kind of reputation.

Everything else is a go :D

#5 Edited by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

TLDR but saw you mention Carl Lumbly so thumbs up.

#6 Posted by TheGraySon (457 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont like the actors at all.

#7 Posted by The Stegman (26114 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!

#8 Edited by batmanary (790 posts) - - Show Bio

Your ideas are good, but your casting's a bit, eh....

Paul Walker as Aquaman?

Megan Gale as Wonder Woman?

And I don't know if Carl Lumbly could pull off the live action J'onn J'onnz.

Michael Fassbender as Batman is an interesting idea, however...

#9 Posted by darth_jones (110 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG can you send this to DC and be like "Here's your guideline. Use it."

I like the casting!! A LOT! I don't know how realistic some of it is though. I'm assuming it's more of a fantasy cast.

Superman: Good choice!

Batman: Fassbender maybe too old at this point, but it'd be a good pick

Wonder Woman: Megan Gale looks like the perfect wonder woman! i dont know much about her acting abilities and shes 37 but other wise YEAH!

Green Lantern: Nathan Fillion would make a perfect Hal Jordan! But he's again getting too old and he'd need to really get in shape

Flash: PERFECT.

Aquaman: I think Paul Walker looks like Aquaman, they're pretty and blonde with blue eyes with the right physique too but he's not the best actor...

Martian Manhunter: Awesome! I'd love to see Carl as John Jones and then use his voice for the CGI manhunter

#10 Posted by darth_jones (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGraySon: WHAT? Like who?

#11 Posted by coolsam125 (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey Im the one that said to make Paul Walker as Aquaman and now people copy ( I feel so loved)

#12 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

im not so sure about scott porter

#13 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@darth_jones: Thanks haha! Yeah it's more of a dream cast, they aren't realistic choices in the ways pointed out. I thought that they were all actors who physically fit the roles and based on their acting careers that they could play the characters well.

@Arkhamc1tizen: Really? To me he looked the part and he's got that midwestern vibe. I really liked him in Friday Night Lights. I thought he'd be a much better call than Bradley Cooper.

#14 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14 said:

1. Make a cohesive DC Universe. The Marvel movies feel like they belong to the same universe. Each DC movie will need to have a similar style and “taste” that will be able to link them together. Cameos and Easter Eggs also help.

2. Cast Well. Marvel’s casting is very strong in the sense that the actors very much embody their characters. Both Physically and in personality. Robert Downey Jr. basically IS Tony Stark anyway so they lucked out there. Chris Evans really looks like the golden boy that Steve Rogers is and really nailed the character. Thor/Chris Hemsworth did too. So they need to avoid casting big names that’ll move tickets, they need to cast smart. (we don’t need another Ryan Reynolds debacle)

3. Be ICONIC. The DC heroes are the most iconic characters in comic books. Don’t just use the modern interpretations of the characters, do actual work and actual research to understand WHO these characters are and create the best possible interpretation of that character. There’s no need to be too different from the comics. Comic book fans HATE that and you’ll probably just confuse the masses.

4. Be SMART. Look at what has failed and what has succeeded. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES! Green Lantern? Fail. Dark Knight Trilogy? Win. DC Animated Universe? Win.

1. Agreed.

2. Warner Bros doesn't have much faith in their superhero films. They'll go for the moving tickets, rather than casting smart, because an actor actually pulling off a character is too risky on their profit margin to try.

3 & 4. These contradict each other in Warner Bros. eyes. The Dark Knight Trilogy? YES. WIN. THAT WORKED. THAT MADE LOTS OF MONEY. What do they learn from it? DARK, GRITTY REALISM AND NOLAN WITH MINIMAL APPEARANCE OF THE ACTUAL SUPERHERO SELLS MOVIES! So the iconic nature of the heroes immediately goes out the window. Dark, gritty realism worked for Batman because he's Batman. Dark and gritty realism is his schtick. It's what he does. Everyone else on the team? Not so much. You've got two aliens, a space cop, an amazon, and the KING OF FREAKIN ATLANTIS. The tone of the Dark Knight movies won't work, so they'll fail. What will Warner Bros. learn from that? THESE CHARACTERS DON'T SELL. Because they're morons. If the movie fails, they won't even consider that maybe it's because the movie wasn't an accurate portrayal of the characters, they'll think it's because the character simply doesn't work in a movie, because what they tried was already proven to work with Batman, therefore it must work with all characters.

I agree with your points, but Warner Bros doesn't learn the right lessons.

Like your casting though.

#15 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: Unfortunately you're very right.

#16 Posted by Sparky_BW (205 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this a lot! Well done! Aquaman movie would be tricky but I think it could be done too. If not, a short explanation in the Justice League movie would be fine. I've been scrolling through many Justice League movie ideas and building up to it, but this one is by far the best!

#17 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sparky_BW said:

I like this a lot! Well done! Aquaman movie would be tricky but I think it could be done too. If not, a short explanation in the Justice League movie would be fine. I've been scrolling through many Justice League movie ideas and building up to it, but this one is by far the best!

Wow! Thanks dude :)

#18 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good and looks good!

Nice thread.

#19 Posted by coolsam125 (136 posts) - - Show Bio

My turn

#20 Posted by LeaderVladimir (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Paul Walker as Aquaman? I'm not sure. I prefer Alexander Skarsgard.

However, you made a good argument about can a Justice League movie franchise can be made.

#21 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeaderVladimir said:

Paul Walker as Aquaman? I'm not sure. I prefer Alexander Skarsgard.

However, you made a good argument about can a Justice League movie franchise can be made.

Yeah i've seen him as a choice on a lot of other JLA casts but he looks too creepy imo. Aquaman should look like a strong, majestic blonde king not a drug-addled Aryan ice prince. Something about Skarsgard's eyes say "villain" to me not hero. I'm not trying to bash the guy as a person or actor, and he's not bad looking but I just don't see him as Aquaman.

#22 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want Luthor anywhere near a Superman film for a while.

#23 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

I don't want Luthor anywhere near a Superman film for a while.

Why's that? I mean Gene Hackman's Luthor was beyond awful but Lex Luthor still a great villain with a lot of potential. Even if he isn't the main player or he's just a puppeteer, Superman and Luthor go hand in hand.

#24 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

I don't want Luthor anywhere near a Superman film for a while.

Why's that? I mean Gene Hackman's Luthor was beyond awful but Lex Luthor still a great villain with a lot of potential. Even if he isn't the main player or he's just a puppeteer, Superman and Luthor go hand in hand.

For me...they don't. And its about time we see Superman's other villains see the light of day. Villains that can challenge him both mentally and physically. The only way I would ever accept Luthor if the main villain is Metallo or Bizarro. other than that...stay out of Superman movies.
#25 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

@Mbecks14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

I don't want Luthor anywhere near a Superman film for a while.

Why's that? I mean Gene Hackman's Luthor was beyond awful but Lex Luthor still a great villain with a lot of potential. Even if he isn't the main player or he's just a puppeteer, Superman and Luthor go hand in hand.

For me...they don't. And its about time we see Superman's other villains see the light of day. Villains that can challenge him both mentally and physically. The only way I would ever accept Luthor if the main villain is Metallo or Bizarro. other than that...stay out of Superman movies.

That's kind of closed minded and aggressive haha. Luthor is to Superman as the Joker is to Batman. They do go hand-in-hand. In just about every incarnation of Superman in media Luthor has been right there on the opposite side of the playing field. Luthor challenges Superman morally as well as mentally. He's a great villain for Superman. Though I do agree that other villains like Bizarro, Brainiac, and Metallo need more representation in media as formidable foes I think excluding Luthor all together would be foolish. As I said before he doesn't have to be the main threat and he is very easy to write in alongside almost every other Superman villain, especially as a puppetmaster.

#26 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14: Not close minded my friend. Luthor needs a break, a lot of people don't wanna see Luthor again. We NEED to see Superman's other villains. If Batman can survive without the Joker so can Superman. Besides all of Superman's other villains, done right can be great. Not that's being open-minded. We need to established that Superman has great villains outside of Luthor. And people don't really wanna see a bald guy with kryptonite, they wanna  see Superman beat the hell out of someone for once...So yeah. Lex should sit in the bench this reboot.
#27 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: As I have said numerous times already, I agree that we need to see more of Superman's villains. I'd love that! A great Brainiac film is what I suggested in the original post. But I also recognize that Luthor is a great villain who is an integral part of the Superman and DCU mythology. From what you're saying you don't want any Lex Luthor in any future Superman film franchise, or at least this one. That's what I'm saying is close minded. You don't know what everyone wants, a lot of Superman fans probably expect to see Luthor in the movies and want to see Luthor in the movies. Maybe Luthor doesn't have to be in all the movies in a new Superman franchise but to not include him at all would be a bad move. Both Batman film franchises had the Joker, and both of the movies that feautred the Joker were the best ones. It's not like he survived without him completely.

Can Superman survive without Lex Luthor? Yeah definitely. But should Luthor be excluded completely? No. Ideally I'd like to see Luthor in the capactiy he was involved in Johns' Secret Origin and Morrison's New 52 reboot. He's there, he's an antagonist that's pulling strings but the big threat is Brainiac or Metallo.

#28 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14: Like I wrote, we don't need Lex Luthor for Superman to have a moral conflict. Anyone else can give him that. But it doesn't need to be Lex. Besides you probably are bringing Lex Luthor because of the massive overexposure DC has given him and is one of the reasons why people think Superman villains are lame. What I want? I am actually talking in general here. Non comic and comic book fans. Maybe some fans do, but a lot don't. They a;ready said it when Man Of Steel was announced that they didn't want Lex Luthor. Its time for change. The Joker only has appear 2 times in a Batman movie, the other ones where other Batman villains. I already wrote it before, the only way for Lex Luthor to be enjoyed in a Superman movie is if you have Bizarro or Metallo as the main villains. 
 
 You have to give Superman villains another chance. Many of them have great potential. I think Brainiac should be done next. Something that is long overdue.
#29 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: We're just talking in circles haha but i like this dicussion. First, DC is "giving Luthor massive overexposure" for a reason. He's THE Superman villain. Just like Joker is THE Batman villain. Green Goblin is THE Spider-Man villain. Captain America and Red Skull, Thor and Loki, Sinestro and Green Lantern.

I do agree that people think Superman villains are lame, but only because they don't know any beyond Lex Luthor. And as I've said, I agree that the other villains need exposure on the silver screen especially Brainiac. I don't believe for a second that the ratio of people who do and don't want Luthor is that dramatically unbalanced. MAYBE there's a majority who would like to see a different villain, but there's no way that only a small percentage of people want Luthor. And you think that a solo Luthor movie couldn't be enjoyable? At all? That's just not true. It's more exciting with more villains definitely but I totally think they could do an only Luthor movie. Superman 1 was good, really cheesey and a little low on action but it's not a bad superhero movie. Should they do an only Luthor movie? Definitely not!

You can't exclude Luthor from a reboot completely though. Just like they didn't exclude the Joker from the Batman franchises. It's important to include a character's infamous nemesis. Look at the Green Lantern movie. Not a big success. If they had Sinestro as the main villain, it could've been infinitely better. There's a reason why these villains have stood the test of time and are known for their rivalries with our heroes. You're underestimating Lex Luthor and his popularity (ie. Smallville, All Star Superman, Action Comics: The Black Ring, etc.)

But we still do agree that other superman villains need to shine. But you can have Brainiac AND Luthor. You can have Parasite AND Luthor. Especially if you make Parasite, Metallo, and Bizarro as sinister creations of Luthor corp. which would include a whole subplot for the journalism aspect that is often underused in Superman stories. Brianiac could be using Luthor's technology to coordinate an attack on Earth. Or you could have Brainiac solo. But I stand by the inclusion of Luthor to some capacity in a future franchise.

#30 Edited by Tyrus (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

Somebody else should play Michael Fassbender - you have to choose an actor who can play a character like Batman for 20 years - much like Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans as Thor and Captain America - they can go on for ages, but Robert Downey Jr, he's almost done being Iron Man...

#31 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tyrus said:

Somebody else should play Michael Fassbender - you have to choose an actor who can play a character like Batman for 20 years - much like Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans as Thor and Captain America - they can go on for ages, but Robert Downey Jr, he's almost done being Iron Man...

Very valid point! I was actually thinking the same thing about him the other day. I even picked out a backup Bruce Wayne:

Gabriel Macht.

He plays Harvey Specter on the show Suits and does a phenomenal job. Unfortunately has was the Spirit in that terrible terrible movie. But I think he'd make an excellent Bruce Wayne. He's got the class, the swagger, and the daddy issues. If nothing else he could do an awesome Harvey Dent/Two-Face.

#32 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of Michael Fassbender as Batman...seems like a better casting choice than Bale

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.