Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3312 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Morrison Greek God's correlation

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I understand some of the Greek God's comparison such as Superman/Zeus and Batman/Hades, but someone can be so can to go in depth on why each hero represent the Greek God Morrison chose for his JLA?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Were there Greek God correlations in Morrison's JLA run? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I guess if you really wanna pair them up: Superman (Zeus), Aquaman (Poseidon), Batman (Hades), Wonder Woman (Athena), Flash (Hermes), Green Lantern (Apollo), Martian Manhunter (Um...no idea).

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

1.Superman-Zeus: king of the gods/god of the sky=number 1 superhero

2.Batman-Hades:god of the dead and riches who lives in the underworld=Rich guy who is haunted by death and lives in the batcave. Both are considered nessescary evils.

3.Wonder Woman-Hera:Queen of the gods biggest female superheroes

4.Green lantern-Apollo: god of light and art=graphic artist with a power ring

5.Oracle-Athena:Goddess of Knowledge and Strategy=number one information broker of the dcu

6.Flash-Hermes-god of speed=fastest man alive

7.Aquaman-Poseidon: god of the seas=king of Atlantis

8.Martian Manhunter-Chiron: overseer/mentor to the gods but not truly a god himself=overseer mentor to the team yet somewhat isolated

9.Zauriel-Eros:god of sexual love=angel who fell in love with human woman

10.Plastic Man-Dionysius: hedonistic trickster god of wine=hedonistic trickster superhero

11.Orion-Ares:brutal Olympian god of war=savage apokolyptian Dog/God of War

12.Steel-Hephaestus :Hephaestus was god of the forge and made the Olympians weapons whereas Steel was the Leagues head tech expert and made several if the JL's gadgets.

13.Huntress-Artemis

14.Barda-Hestia

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: yes. Morrison patterned his league off of the Greek gods/goddesses

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

2.Batman-Hades:god of the dead and riches who lives in the underworld=Rich guy who is haunted by death and lives in the batcave. Both are considered nessescary evils.

5.Oracle:Goddess of Knowledge and Strategy=number one information broker of the dcu

6.Flash-Apollo-god of speed=fastest man alive

8.Martian Manhunter-Chiron: overseer/mentor to the gods but not truly a god himself=overseer mentor to the team yet somewhat isolated

10.Plastic Man-Dionysius: hedonistic trickster god of wine=hedonistic trickster superhero

12.Steel-Hephaestus :Hephaestus was god of the forge and made the Olympians weapons whereas Steel was the Leagues head tech expert and made several if the JL's gadgets.

Basically this. Just reading these comparisons again makes me adore what Morrison did in his JLA run and how innovative, smart and legendarily iconic it truly was. I gotta find an omnibus of it sometime.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HushoftheWind

i really wish they would re used this line up or will use this line up in the future. I know they have a demographic quota that have to meet but i think Steel is better suited as a leaguer and Cyborg is better suited as a titan. The Morrison run line up has been my favorite one ever. It just seems they got all their bases covered with that team.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Morrison was a G. His stuff is its own mythos lol

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

5.Oracle:Goddess of Knowledge and Strategy=number one information broker of the dcu

6.Flash-Apollo-god of speed=fastest man alive

There is no Ancient Greek Goddess called Oracle, it was a job/priestess in the ancient world, the oracle in Delphi was the most important and she was the oracle of Apollo.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: yeah I know, I was matching up Oracle (babs) with Athena and forgot to actually put her name down.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By COBRAMORPH

@ultrastarkiller said:

Morrison was a G. His stuff is its own mythos lol

Not to bash current or former religions, but in a couple thousand years, people might think that comics were actually thought of as our religion.

But I didnt think he actually compared his JL to the actual Opympians. I dont really like that. I just assumed they went with these guys are basicly gods, lets not even try to hold back or make the lesser tier heros look good. That these are basicly modern day earth's mythological stories.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.comicvine.com/martian-manhunter/4005-2047/forums/who-should-be-martian-manhunter-s-definitive-flame-1536596/#1

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#12  Edited By Black_Claw

Superman-Zues

Batman-Hades

Wonder Woman-Hera

Green Lantern/Green Arrow-Apollo

Flash-Hermes

Aquaman-Poseidon

Martian Manhunter-Chrion

Vixen-Artemis

Cyborg-Hephaestus (only putting this here since WW made the comparison in JL war)

Orion/Hawkman-Ares

Oracle-Athena

Swamp Thing-Demeter (I know the genders don't match but this is a pretty fitting comparison)

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By W3BST3R

@black_claw: WW said Shazam was Zeus for whatever reason. The whole 'Never met anyone like Superman' thing was kinda corny.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@avenging_x_bolt: Apollo is not the god of speed. The closest that we have to something like that is Hermes, who Flash's design is heavily influenced by.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@jaken7: yeah, if you had seen subsequent comments, you'd know that was a typo.why would I purposely put Apollo twice.

Edit: wow. There ARE no subsequent comments. My bad man. But yeah, 'twas a typo

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: op is pretty speciffically asking for Morrison's JLA reasoning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@black_claw:

IF Genders dont matter. Why Green Arrow isnt Artemis? Both use bows and trained hunters. Plus Green Arrow have conections to Green Lanterns and Artimis to Apollo.

MrAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrAnime

Actually the title of Zeus was later given to SHAZAM. And Superman was considered a God in his own right. . .

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mranime: when in Morrisons run was Shazam given the Zeus title?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee9c4453cde7
    deactivated-5ee9c4453cde7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mranime: The fact that you even referred to him as Shazam and not Captain Marvel means you’re referring to Post Flashpoint Billy and the JL War animated movie where they planted the seeds of Superman and WW’s relationship with that line which is really inaccurate especially with pre Flashpoint Captain Marvel doesn’t have conventional electrokinesis. Even at the end of the Geoff John’s JL run in the New 52 however, Superman himself said it best. They were never gods and Diana agreed.

This is about Grant Morrison’s legendary JLA run in the 90s where the league was modelled after them as a modern pantheon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.