Justice League or Stormwatch in the DCnU

#1 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking at the previews for the DCnU titles in September, it seems to me that there will be two powerhouse groups in the DC Universe. The Justice League returns with most of the old favorites (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman) and some new blood (Cyborg and hints at some surprise new members). Stormwatch (AKA The Authority) are now going to be part of the DC Universe. The funny thing about this is that The Authority was always supposed to be an alternate take in the Justice League. They're the Justice League that takes themselves so seriously that they literally set themselves up as the authority and control of their own world. Many of Stormwatch's stalwart members will be returning including Appollo and Midnighter (the World's Finest Team who admit their true feelings for each other), Jack Hawksmoor (the man who controls cities), the Engineer (cosmic super-pilot), Adam-One, and surprisingly the Martian Manhunter will be joining their ranks. Obviously, neither team has push-over line-ups. In fact there's enough power on both teams to destroy the Earth five times over. Also, it should be noted that the teams have opposite superhero philosophies. The Justice League believe in aiding the human race through non-intrusive crisis intervention. The Authority believe in protecting the human race through vigilance and control. The likelihood of these two teams coming to blows at some point is pretty damn good. So which team do you prefer and who do you think would win in an honest fight? Could the world even survive such a conflict? Let me know what you think.
#2 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice post. Its possible, but in this new revamped DCU the Authority may not take such a hardline stance. Thus defusing the potential conflict of interest with the JLA.

#3 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler

Thanks!

That's a good point. It may be telling that they're going back to the name Stormwatch and not The Authority. Stormwatch suggests a preventative monitoring rather than a dictatorial control group. Then again... it feels like the temptation to set them up against each other might be too much for DC to resist. Maybe not until the first DCnU event?

#4 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14
Theres also a chance the Justice League and Justice League International come head to head. It was said that the JLI are created by the UN because the UN doesnt trust the JL. And most of all, Aliens. There are tons of groups to clash. There is also Birds of Prey who are fugitives, Suicide Squad and Blackhawks that could help clash. And im sure JL Dark could fit somewhere in there.

#5 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123

That's one of the reasons I'm so enthusiastic about this revamp. There are so many different elements to take into account now. Who'd have thought that John Constantine would ever be in a Justice League line-up? There are so many possiblities for interesting interactions and clashes.
#6 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jekylhyde14 said:
@doordoor123:  That's one of the reasons I'm so enthusiastic about this revamp. There are so many different elements to take into account now. Who'd have thought that John Constantine would ever be in a Justice League line-up? There are so many possiblities for interesting interactions and clashes.

I would like to see something like something that happened in the Justice League Animated Series, where the Green Lantern Corps pretty much turned on John Stewart and tought he went against the corps but the Justice League came to his aid. What I mean is that I would love to see the Justice League against the Green Lantern Corps. And I would love to see War World reintroduced.
#7 Edited by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what to make of Stormwatch but the idea of them clashing against the Justice League does sound intriguing. I wonder if MM is getting completely rehashed or if he remembers being in the League before.

#8 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrUnknown

I'm pretty sure the Martian Manhunter is going to stay more or less the same guy he was before. The writer, Paul Cornell, said that one of the main conflicts in the book is going to be that MM is a superhero and the rest of Stormwatch are not. You can find the interview here: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu-paul-cornell-stormwatch-110611.html 

What this means for his exact history is unclear. I imagine it'll stay relatively constant to what we know, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.