Justice League movie set for 2015

Posted by k4tzm4n (40219 posts) - - Show Bio

Rejoice, DC fans!  It looks like Warner Bros is finally picking up the pace with the Justice League movie.  According to the LA Times, a "knowledgeable person not authorized to discuss the matter publicly" has disregarded that title and provided brand new information about the hugely anticipated comic book movie. 

Warner Bros is looking to shoot the film next year and aims for a summer 2015 release.  They allegedly have a script being worked on and once it's finished they'll focus on finding a director and who to cast for the lead roles.  That's going to be a huge year for CBMs since Marvel's The Avengers 2 will hit theaters May 2015.   Begun, the fanboy wars has! 

Who do you want in the roster?
It's clear the biggest names will appear, but what about the rest of the Justice League?  Sure, the general audience know of Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman, but not many know about them.  Warner Bros is taking a big risk here by doing the opposite of Marvel Studios' release strategy.  Then again, perhaps this will be better for WB because it'll give the audience a chance to fall in love with these characters, thus boosting interest in potential solo films for each hero.   

That said, It's unclear who else will round off the roster (Cyborg?  Martian Manhunter?  Green Lantern? Will Aquaman even make the cut?!).  I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to use the primary roster from The New 52, but who do you want on the team?  And finally, no team-up movie would be complete without a villain.  Do we all agree it's safe to assume Darkseid will be the big bad?

Source: LA Times
Staff
#1 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3758 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...make it work Warner Bros.

#2 Posted by _Cain_ (23666 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, This is interesting

#3 Posted by ccraft (5201 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! Just the Founding Memebers in this movie, cameos would be awesome. I would like to see them ban together to stop Darkseid! If they just made a movie of Justice League New 52 I would be happy!

#4 Posted by TheCommissar (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad idea releasing it so close to Avengers 2. If the Justice League movie fails to at least meet the standards of it, DC will probably be in a decent amount of trouble. Especially since I'm sure a lot of people will see it as an attempt to cash in on the popularity of superhero team movies (which it is).

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh I sincerely hope that Darkseid isn't the main villain.

The New 52 roster wouldn't be a bad idea and with DC's entire plan being to attract new readers, it'll definitely allow for them to jump right in.

#6 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

desperate huh warner bros? want some of that avengers money huh? all i gotta say is 'dont f**ck up and think things through and bruce tim better be involved. HEAVILY INVOLVED'

#7 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't stop laughing at this. At this point I think DC should just quit while they're behind and do something else. No idea idea what exactly but anything at this point.

#8 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, WB has some balls to put it out in the same year as The Avengers 2. Very interesting move.

It should be interesting to see if they go with Darkseid given the fact that Thanos most likely will be the next Avengers villain.

#9 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

it either wont happen or it will completely suck. Why do they have to rush it? if they take there time and set up the characters then it could be epic but right now, it just seems like a grab for money.

#10 Posted by k4tzm4n (40219 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

Oh I sincerely hope that Darkseid isn't the main villain.

Who would you prefer? 
Staff
#11 Edited by geoff2005 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

i guess well see how much DC improved with the new superman movie and that superman probably going to be the superman of JL, I hope they use batman with grey and black if they do decide to go similar with New 52. Im starting to get tired of all these ALL black batmans

#12 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie... ahhhh.

#13 Posted by mightypug78 (344 posts) - - Show Bio

dont release the same year as the avengers, less competition equals more $$$ besides, i dont know if i can handle that much awesome in one year.

#14 Posted by kid Apollo (712 posts) - - Show Bio

go with the new 52 version of the team because it diverse and you don't have to explain the Martian Manhunter's background. if i had to choose id say i'm more of a marvel guy than i am DC, but id still love to see a well done, well thought out JL movie. i don't think Darkseid should be the villain, or the Injustice Society or even Starro (i may be wrong but wasn't he/it the original thing that brought the team together?)

#15 Posted by Tony_Shark (467 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel did a good job building up the huge hype for The Avengers with the solo films previous to the movie. That's one of the things that can be attributed to Marvel for it's huge success. I hope this movie works, but it will be really confusing for some non-comic readers. Do you think Christian Bale will return as Batman?

#16 Posted by ccraft (5201 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer:

Bruce Tim would be awesome

#17 Posted by Xion (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCommissar: that is exactly what I'm afraid off!

#18 Posted by Mojo65 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I Think from what iv read elsewhere insiders have reported that on the current draft of the script the line up is the original 7 - Aquaman, but of course that's all unofficial, honestly if it were up to me Id include both Martian Manhunter and Cyborg.

Anyway I really hope they don't use Darkseid in the first movie, he's THE Big Bad of the DCU hard to have bigger threats in sequels.

#19 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: At this point, they can't really go with much more without making it absolutely ridiculous. If they decided to do an alien type invasion as they did with the Justice League show, it would appear just as a rip-off of what The Avengers did.

I guess Darkseid could work, but with his appearance being similar to Thanos, would they want to risk confusion?

#20 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had a time machine, I would head to the future just to watch this movie

#21 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

I fully expect the New 52 line up to be in the movie given how much exposure Cyborg has been getting lately.

#22 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

The way they are rushing this it will be crappier than I feared. And if MMH is not in I won't waste my time.

#23 Posted by neiliusprime (254 posts) - - Show Bio

oh Warner Bros. don't say things you won't commit too.

but if more news about this follows up then I will be interested

#24 Posted by Lvenger (19256 posts) - - Show Bio

This had better work Warner Bros. If this does you'll top the Avengers for sure. Having Superman and Batman in the same film alone would be an awesome step forward.

#25 Posted by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio

So pumped, this AND Avengers 2 in the same year? Although they better have Martain Manhunter in it or I will riot! :)

#26 Posted by takuy (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic line up. Please. No Cyborg. Cyborg has been a background character for the majority of his appearances. All he's done is teleport them around.

#27 Edited by kennybaese (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm... I think that general audiences are way more aware of the Justice League's roster than they are would have been of the Avengers. Plus, the characters are way more archetypal. The big seven all fit pretty neatly into pretty standard roles (Bruce is controlling, Clark is kind, Flash is the naive one, Hal is the obnoxious one, etc.). The movie doesn't need to focus on their origins at all, just have them show up. You can mention in passing that Barry is a forensic scientist or that Hal is a pilot, but it's ultimately not that important in the context of a team movie. The personalities of the characters and how they interact are the important part, and those can come through just fine without needing origin stories for everyone.

#28 Posted by geoff2005 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they can do a Martian invasion, helps tell story of MM and gives them a good villains. Also gives them a reason to show why they need watchtower and could use it as to why they bring all of them together

#29 Posted by SmashBrawler (5624 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid Apollo said:

go with the new 52 version of the team because it diverse and you don't have to explain the Martian Manhunter's background. if i had to choose id say i'm more of a marvel guy than i am DC, but id still love to see a well done, well thought out JL movie. i don't think Darkseid should be the villain, or the Injustice Society or even Starro (i may be wrong but wasn't he/it the original thing that brought the team together?)

You're kinda right. In their first appearance the Justice League did fight Starro, however, that wasn't their origin story. In their first origin a race of aliens known as the Appellaxians invaded Earth. The Appellaxians were 6 (or 7, I forgot), each one of them having a unique characteristic (such as a fire alien, a yellow alien, a crystal alien, etc.). They defeated most of them by themselves, but only working as a team were they able to defeat the final one. The Post-Crisis origin states that it was both the Appellaxians and a terrorist organization named Locus that bringed the team together. In this version the Appellaxians were an entire invading race as opposed to a handful of aliens. And then there's the New 52 origin were Darkseid invades, they form a group and fight him off, the end.

Concerning the Appellaxians as movie villains: great merchandising posibilites, horrible movie villain concept.

#30 Posted by Pwok21 (2262 posts) - - Show Bio

Urgh.

It's not going to work like the Marvel films have, they gave it a good five years to establish origins for individual characters whilst this, is due in three years?

Smooth DC, real smooth.

#31 Posted by HT101 (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no faith that DC will even put this movie out because they haven't been able to do it in the past. If Superman does not work out for them, which I have my doubts about, they will run away from anything besides Batman. Until I see an actual trailer for this I am choosing believe that it will not be coming out.

#32 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

While the JL cartoon was my first real intro to the team, my favorite incarnation was JLA (specifically the earlier stuff) (aka the 3rd volume of Justice League). I would love that line-up (Plas is SO underrated), but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'd settle for new 52 if only b/c they want to push it so hard. It'd be nice if they could put in MM though.

#33 Posted by Overlander (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to big-screen stars facing off against starro!

#34 Posted by Outside_85 (8662 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic lineup is preferred

#35 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4701 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie will fail.

#36 Posted by Chaos Burn (1782 posts) - - Show Bio

So Nolans Dark Knight has ended, no one has seen the new Superman and now they're announcing Justice League, talk about jumping the gun, Marvel tested the water with Iron Man and Hulk at least

#37 Posted by jcbart (341 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, what a poor decision to release it in 2015. Why not release it in 2016, Warner Bros.? You will make so much more money not competing with The Avengers.

#38 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

thats way too soon.

theyre already announcing Justice League and we havn't even announced the other members of the JL. on top of that we don't even know if Man of Steel will be on it's own or part of the JL movie...Warner Bros are idiots. I lost hope in the JL movie ...face it people we traded in all our prep for a JL mmovie for Nolans Dark Knight trilogy.

I think Warner Bros should just Focus on making really good Solo DC character movies like Nolans Batman.

because i mean look at it this way. Nolans last batman movie comepted with Avengers(marvels bet movie)

so imagine if we have a good superman, a good aquaman, a good Flash, etc.

#39 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Raise your hand if you're more terrified than excited about this

*hand raised*

#40 Posted by LordRequiem (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

They'd be foolish not to use Henry Cavill for Superman, unless his film is terrible which I can't see happening.

Interesting to see what roster they pick and who they cast, Green Lantern HAS to be in it for me and Flash and Wonder Woman. They should make her like the female version of Thor and it could work.

Batman will be a very, very risky move. Perhaps leaving him out is a better option (bring on the crying fans).

#41 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@scuzz2.0 said:

it either wont happen or it will completely suck. Why do they have to rush it? if they take there time and set up the characters then it could be epic but right now, it just seems like a grab for money.

How is working on a movie for over three years rushing it?
#42 Edited by geoff2005 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem said:

They'd be foolish not to use Henry Cavill for Superman, unless his film is terrible which I can't see happening.

Interesting to see what roster they pick and who they cast, Green Lantern HAS to be in it for me and Flash and Wonder Woman. They should make her like the female version of Thor and it could work.

Batman will be a very, very risky move. Perhaps leaving him out is a better option (bring on the crying fans).

i feel hawkgirl is a better female version of thor if they were to do that. They would be able to bring her in later on in squeals if they wanted.

leaving out batman will just make most people not give a shit about the movie. That like saying leave out Ironman or captain america

#43 Posted by CircularLogic (282 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not gonna happen. Marvel right now has casts, scripts and directors signed for a movie coming out in 2015. DC has NONE of that. Bit of a time crunch, don't you think?

#44 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I WAAAAAAAAAANT

Young Justice

AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL of THIS!!!!!!!!!!

#45 Posted by k4tzm4n (40219 posts) - - Show Bio

/hasn't read the script 
/doesn't know who's directing 
/doesn't know who they'll cast 

"ZOMG IT'S GOING TO BE TERRIBAD!" 

Staff
#46 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

If they use Darkseid that is awfully close to Thanos in Avengers 2... interesting

#47 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope this turns out good! its about time!

#48 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio

Moderately excited.

#49 Edited by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok! New 52 roster and one villain... not three, please.

#50 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

The movie will fail.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.