Justice League Movie may be pushed to 2016

• 56 results
#1 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

They should push it back to at least 2020 and focus on getting some really good solo superhero movies out first.

EDIT: Kinda like what Marvel did with their phase one movies before putting out The Avengers.

#3 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it everything I hear about this movie makes me somehow LESS excited about it?

#4 Posted by The Stegman (24627 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't this what happened the LAST time we thought we had a JL movie, it kept getting pushed back, then finally was just scraped? Call, Saint Walker, cause I'm losing hope.

#5 Posted by Highlander_615 (212 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

Why is it everything I hear about this movie makes me somehow LESS excited about it?

Same thing.

#6 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

This is very sad news. I really want to see a Justice League movie already!

@cyberchop979 said:

They should push it back to at least 2020 and focus on getting some really good solo superhero movies out first. Kinda what Marvel did with their phase one movies before putting out The Avengers.

No, DC should not follow the same formula or tone because they need to differentiate themselves so that they don't come across as a cheap, desperate knock off.

DC should have a Justice League film with the tone of Man of Steel. It should have 5 characters who go on to have their own solo films. The Justice League film is supposed to advertise these characters for future solo films instead of being an event movie like Marvel. It will mean more people will see films like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. Plus Marvel only had two solo films that helped the Avengers (Iron Man and Thor). Incredible Hulk and Captain America were mediocre and did nothing. Iron Man 2 sucked. And no one even cared about solo films by the time Thor and Cap came out. People just wanted to see Avengers.

By putting the solo films first, Marvel built anticipation for the team. By putting the team film first, DC will build anticipation for the individuals, which is important because DC characters are more interesting on their own.

By having Justice League first, you can advertise less well known or popular characters, and you can world build for characters that don't show up in the first film like Shazam.

Cyborg can be the Nick Fury recruitment character because of the Grid, so you don't need to constantly explain how new characters join the team.

DC doesn't need to do what Marvel did, and they shouldn't.

P.S. If you read the Ultimates Vol. 1, then you would know that solo movies are not necessary for team films.

#7 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, this is the smart move. The film would have been thrashed by Avengers 2 and Star Wars.

#8 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

sigh. WB just doesn't know what to do. I'll be honest after this year I'm getting a little tired of superhero movies.

What I would give for a Wonder Woman or Black Panther, or Static or Aquaman movie. Something to really break the mold of superhero movies lately.

#9 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

The article doesn't even say that the movie is being pushed back. It only says that things could be pushed back.

Our source also tells us that Warner Bros. has the director list down to a definite five list of names who would be interested. We're told they will be expected to pitch their version of the movie, and if everything goes according to plan, an announcement should be made anytime within the next three months with filming "expected" to begin by the end of the year.

However, if everything doesn't go smooth, and unless negotiations and formalities are sped up, the Justice League movie may get pushed back to 2016.

What a waste of time. Any movie at any time could be pushed back--even after it has been fully edited and distributed i.e. Jack Reacher.

At least, we know that we should be getting an announcement within the next three months. I've been waiting for a director and cast to be announced since last summer.

Warner should take some notes:

All you need is DC's highest selling heroes (Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern) to bring people in. And you need people who will help build the world and increase diversity. Wonder Woman and Cyborg do that. Wonder Woman brings magic to the universe, and Cyborg brings the ridiculously advanced tech. Give every hero equal screen time and development.

After Justice League, give everyone solo films, establish Flash as a police scientist and Superman fan who somehow gets powers. Cameo Martian Manhunter. Give Aquaman and Shazam movies. Have Cyborg recruit new members. Then do a Justice League sequel and more solo films for Hawkman, Booster Gold, etc.

#10 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

If more time will help boost the movie's quality and success, I'll be fine with that. I just hope it'll be worth the wait.

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Good. I'd rather wait for something awesome than get something half-assed quickly.

#12 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

Fine by me, postpone it by another few years if that's what it takes to produce a great movie instead of a mediocre one =)

#13 Posted by Lvenger (20220 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Good. I'd rather wait for something awesome than get something half-assed quickly.

Me too.

#14 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie ks gonna make DC even more rich... Everybody knows Batman, Superman etc.

#15 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

This is very sad news. I really want to see a Justice League movie already!

@cyberchop979 said:

They should push it back to at least 2020 and focus on getting some really good solo superhero movies out first. Kinda what Marvel did with their phase one movies before putting out The Avengers.

No, DC should not follow the same formula or tone because they need to differentiate themselves so that they don't come across as a cheap, desperate knock off.

DC should have a Justice League film with the tone of Man of Steel. It should have 5 characters who go on to have their own solo films. The Justice League film is supposed to advertise these characters for future solo films instead of being an event movie like Marvel. It will mean more people will see films like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. Plus Marvel only had two solo films that helped the Avengers (Iron Man and Thor). Incredible Hulk and Captain America were mediocre and did nothing. Iron Man 2 sucked. And no one even cared about solo films by the time Thor and Cap came out. People just wanted to see Avengers.

By putting the solo films first, Marvel built anticipation for the team. By putting the team film first, DC will build anticipation for the individuals, which is important because DC characters are more interesting on their own.

By having Justice League first, you can advertise less well known or popular characters, and you can world build for characters that don't show up in the first film like Shazam.

Cyborg can be the Nick Fury recruitment character because of the Grid, so you don't need to constantly explain how new characters join the team.

DC doesn't need to do what Marvel did, and they shouldn't.

P.S. If you read the Ultimates Vol. 1, then you would know that solo movies are not necessary for team films.

By putting the solo films first, Marvel were able to build a very strong foundation with the characters. People understood who Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, and Thor were all about. There was no need to go into their backstories (other than a line or two of dialog) because it was all fleshed out in their solo films. Something that would have taken alot of The Avengers plot was planted in the previous films.

I still believe solid solo films are the way to go before a really decent team film can be produced.

Can DC make a decent 2-2.5 hour movie without preceding solo films, possibly. But I still believe that the foundation laid in the solo films is what made The Avengers such a successful movie. But I can appreciate your opinion as well.

P.S. The overwhelming majority of movie-goers don't read comic books like we do. Half of them probably have no clue who Cyborg, Aquaman, Shazam and Flash are. By fleshing out their back stories in solo films before a team film comes out, it would make the team movie flow so much smoother.

#16 Posted by 3Blue_Star (191 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

Yes Please!!

#17 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979: A good movie should stand on its own two feet--even a sequel. Plenty of superhero films have no lead-ins and tell good stories.

For example: The Incredibles

I've already said why I think lead-ins are a bad idea in my last post.

#18 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@cyberchop979: A good movie should stand on its own two feet--even a sequel. Plenty of superhero films have no lead-ins and tell good stories.

I agree that a good movie should stand on its own. But then you say that "plenty of superhero films have no lead-ins and tell good stories" and you list ONE. And its not even a live action film. Do you think that the Justice League movie should be animated?

To my knowledge there are not that many team based superhero live action films that tell really great stories and had no lead-ins. Maybe X-Men 1st Class and X-Men (decent for its time). Sky High was pretty good for what it was too.

#19 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979: There's also Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Transformers.

And the Ultimates was written in a cinematic style to be a movie pitch, so you can count that too if you'd like.

Outside of the superhero genre, there's the Italian Job (5 leads), Star Wars IV (Luke, Han, Leia, C3PO, and Ben all had a lot of dialogue in the first film), and Inception are a few other films that worked with no lead-ins.

#20 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@cyberchop979: There's also Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Transformers.

And the Ultimates was written in a cinematic style to be a movie pitch, so you can count that too.

You and I have a very different ideas of good superhero movies. Watchmen- sucked. TLOEG- ok. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-really???? and Transformers-Meh.

I guess if that is the bar you are aiming for, DC can definitely accommodate you there.

#21 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@cyberchop979: Outside of the superhero genre, there's the Italian Job (5 leads), Star Wars IV (Luke, Han, Leia, C3PO, and Ben all had a lot of dialogue in the first film), and Inception are a few other films that worked with no lead-ins.

Now you're just grasping at straws.

#22 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979 said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

And the Ultimates was written in a cinematic style to be a movie pitch, so you can count that too.

You and I have a very different ideas of good superhero movies. Watchmen- sucked. TLOEG- ok. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-really???? and Transformers-Meh.

I guess if that is the bar you are aiming for, DC can definitely accommodate you there.

Even if you think they sucked, it's not because of lack of lead-in films or prequels.

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33602 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979: 15 years to make a film is a bit extreme

#24 Edited by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@cyberchop979 said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Even if you think they sucked, it's not because of lack of lead-in films.

Guess we will never find out how much better or worse they could have been if they had lead-ins though.

EDIT: Dude, if you are just going to edit all your posts after the fact to give yourself some sort of stronger stance without directly acknowledging the fact, I am done here. I have no time for kindergarten games.

#25 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979:

And as I mentioned earlier, the only lead-in films that helped the Avengers were Iron Man 1 (built interest) and Thor (built the world). Hulk and Captain America were not very warmly received. Iron Man 2 sucked. If Captain America or Incredible Hulk came first in Iron Man 1's stead, there would be no Avengers. DC shouldn't have to take unnecessary risks with lead-in films especially since general audiences will just say that they are ripping off Marvel's strategy. And no one was even excited for Thor or Captain America. They saw them because they had to wait for Avengers.

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Especially since Marvel would be ruling the superhero market by then, and general audiences would be calling almost every DC hero a ripoff of a Marvel hero. "Wait, so Wonder Woman is just a female Thor and the Green Lantern Corps is just the Nova Corps? Pass."

Also, the superhero bubble could burst by then. DC needs to strike while the iron is hot.

#26 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979 said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

@cyberchop979 said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Even if you think they sucked, it's not because of lack of lead-in films.

Guess we will never find out how much better or worse they could have been if they had lead-ins though.

Don't the Star Wars prequels and every other prequel made answer that question?

@cyberchop979 said:

EDIT: Dude, if you are just going to edit all your posts after the fact to give yourself some sort of stronger stance without directly acknowledging the fact, I am done here. I have no time for kindergarten games.

I just reposted parts of my comments that you may have missed into later comments. Take it down a notch. Everything I have posted is in this thread, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

#27 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I agree. DC should have started thinking long term when they saw how well Batman Begins was received. Look at Marvel. Iron Man came out in 2008.

#28 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979: Chris Nolan and the Bat-Embargo limited how much Batman could be used. Chris didn't want any other Batman movies that were not under his control. That and lack of an Australian tax break kept the first Justice League from being made. And the Bat-embargo is famous for limiting how much Batman can appear in other media. I don't want to explain it, but you can google it.

#29 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should take longer and think it over before doing it, to get it right.

#30 Posted by Lvenger (20220 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

I think they should take longer and think it over before doing it, to get it right.

Seconded. Last thing I want is a rushed final product that would have better had it more time to develop.

#31 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger said:

@SandMan_ said:

Seconded. Last thing I want is a rushed final product that would have better had it more time to develop.

They are only doing it because of the Avengers.
#32 Posted by Lvenger (20220 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

@Lvenger said:

@SandMan_ said:

They are only doing it because of the Avengers.

True and that's what I'm worried about. In rushing to compete with Avengers, they could slip up big time. Plus they don't have the luxury of being able to use the same formula as Marvel did for their films.

#33 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@SandMan_ said:

Thirded.

#34 Posted by TheCannon (18903 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979 said:

They should push it back to at least 2020 and focus on getting some really good solo superhero movies out first.

EDIT: Kinda like what Marvel did with their phase one movies before putting out The Avengers.

This. WW needs a movie before JL, and probably Flash too.

#35 Posted by The Stegman (24627 posts) - - Show Bio
@OutlawRenegade said:

The article doesn't even say that the movie is being pushed back. It only says that things could be pushed back.

Our source also tells us that Warner Bros. has the director list down to a definite five list of names who would be interested. We're told they will be expected to pitch their version of the movie, and if everything goes according to plan, an announcement should be made anytime within the next three months with filming "expected" to begin by the end of the year.

However, if everything doesn't go smooth, and unless negotiations and formalities are sped up, the Justice League movie may get pushed back to 2016.

What a waste of time. Any movie at any time could be pushed back--even after it has been fully edited and distributed i.e. Jack Reacher.

At least, we know that we should be getting an announcement within the next three months. I've been waiting for a director and cast to be announced since last summer.

Warner should take some notes:

All you need is DC's highest selling heroes (Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern) to bring people in. And you need people who will help build the world and increase diversity. Wonder Woman and Cyborg do that. Wonder Woman brings magic to the universe, and Cyborg brings the ridiculously advanced tech. Give every hero equal screen time and development.

After Justice League, give everyone solo films, establish Flash as a police scientist and Superman fan who somehow gets powers. Cameo Martian Manhunter. Give Aquaman and Shazam movies. Have Cyborg recruit new members. Then do a Justice League sequel and more solo films for Hawkman, Booster Gold, etc.

I like this, and the more and more I think about it, the more and more I accept Gosling as Bruce Wayne.
#36 Posted by The Stegman (24627 posts) - - Show Bio
@cyberchop979 said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

I agree that a good movie should stand on its own. But then you say that "plenty of superhero films have no lead-ins and tell good stories" and you list ONE. And its not even a live action film. Do you think that the Justice League movie should be animated?

To my knowledge there are not that many team based superhero live action films that tell really great stories and had no lead-ins. Maybe X-Men 1st Class and X-Men (decent for its time). Sky High was pretty good for what it was too.

There's also Watchmen, great movie, no need to have a tie in film for each of the characters.
#37 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman: Gosling was asked about Flash recently.

@Lvenger
WB never really payed attention to what they had until now, until Marvel beat them to the punchline.
#38 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13261 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

And the Ultimates was written in a cinematic style to be a movie pitch, so you can count that too if you'd like.

Outside of the superhero genre, there's the Italian Job (5 leads), Star Wars IV (Luke, Han, Leia, C3PO, and Ben all had a lot of dialogue in the first film), and Inception are a few other films that worked with no lead-ins.

how could they have done lead ins for TMNT or Watchmen? The Watchmen characters had next to no actual history until just recently and the Ninja Turtles have been together forever? that also applies to Transformers to an extent and most of the League of extraordinary gentleman have had several movie versions of the books they were created for. I'm not even going to validate your non comic book choices.

#39 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@cyberchop979 said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

There's also Watchmen, great movie, no need to have a tie in film for each of the characters.

Just my personal opinion but I didn't really like the movie. I mean, it was o.k., but I wouldn't put it anywhere near as good as The Avengers or even X-Men 1st Class. Again, this is my personal opinion.

#40 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Gosling? Not sure I would like to see him as the Flash.

#41 Edited by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

There's also Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Transformers.

how could they have done lead ins for TMNT or Watchmen? The Watchmen characters had next to no actual history until just recently and the Ninja Turtles have been together forever? that also applies to Transformers to an extent and most of the League of extraordinary gentleman have had several movie versions of the books they were created for. I'm not even going to validate your non comic book choices.

QFT.

#42 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Lol, you took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and totally missed my point, which is that you don't need solo films before a team film to explain backstories. You can hint at them, as was done with Black Widow in Avengers. lol Then you can build up a mystery, like "why is this person this way?" That way you build anticipation for the solo films.

You didn't know every little thing about every Watchmen character like Rorschach or the Comedian or Owl Man I or Owlman II. But audiences rode with it because they are used to seeing superheroes now. This technique also worked with the Incredibles. Do you know how Elastigirl, Frozone, or Mr. Incredible got their powers? Do you know their entire rogues gallery? Do you know their friends and family and childhood? Didn't think so.

*Edit- People will know Superman from MOS. People know Batman pretty well. Just say he's an urban legend which is why Superman never met him. Green Lantern has most of his adventures in space. He could briefly explain what he does in like 30 seconds the same way he did in Justice League: Origin. Plus audiences young and old already know who he is due to his film and animated show. Wonder Woman should be like Thor in the Ultimates--everyone other than Steve Trevor thinks she's a crazy person, but she's not. And Cyborg could be an NFL player with a scientist father. His origin happens on film. Easy.

*Edit- If Darkseid is the villain, then just Megatron him and have him be an alien conqueror who has been stuck on Earth a long time. He escapes at the end of the movie or is banished by the heroes so that he can return in later films in even greater force.

If Brainiac is the villain, then hint at him in Man of Steel.

Green Lantern could come to Earth to investigate either one of these threats, while the others are in the right place at the right time.

#43 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13261 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Lol, you took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and totally missed my point, which is that you don't need solo films before a team film to explain backstories. You can hint at them, as was done with Black Widow in Avengers. lol Then you can build up a mystery, like "why is this person this way?" That way you build anticipation for the solo films.

ahh, well given the examples you listed it wasn't hard to miss. Only one of those movies actually had a character who was like that. hence Rorshach in Watchmen. Transformers spent most of its time focusing on the humans and as far as the Ninja Turtles go who would they have to explain?

#44 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:

@SandMan_ said:

Physically the guy has all the assets.
#45 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@SandMan_ said:

Physically the guy has all the assets.

I cannot believe that anyone as good looking as Ryan Gosling would be as shy as Barry Allen.

And based on Ryan's resume, he's more of a Bruce Wayne/Batman anyway:

Batman

Drive

Bruce Wayne

Ides of March

Gangster Squad

Crazy, Stupid Love

#46 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Superdork: Or Aquaman.
#47 Posted by havoc1201 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@OutlawRenegade said:
I like this, and the more and more I think about it, the more and more I accept Gosling as Bruce Wayne.

I love this Cast Gosling would make a great Batman and Bruce Wayne

#48 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

@Lvenger: WB never really payed attention to what they had until now, until Marvel beat them to the punchline.

And that's probably why I'm hating so much on WB. They literally could've done this years ago.

#49 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@Lvenger: WB never really payed attention to what they had until now, until Marvel beat them to the punchline.

And that's probably why I'm hating so much on WB. They literally could've done this years ago.

Yes, they're ignorance cost them this.
#50 Posted by Misterwizz (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Gangster Squad getting pained by critics for its screenplay doesn’t make me enthusiastic to see a Justice League at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.